SiouxSports.com Forum

UND blamed for Chapman resigning

darell1976

I went over to Bisonville.com and read some of the things they are saying about Chapman resigning and surprise surprise UND is getting blamed by this because Joel Heitkamp is a UND supporter...2 people on the legislators were UND grads and they say Kelley should resign because UND has gone over in costs....Ok #1 Heitkamp and UND did NOT spend money on a presidental mansion for NDSU that was over budget by a million bucks they did not take a $22,000 trip to Washington D.C. I just can't believe they could say Kelley's over budget was close to Chapman's....NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!! Leave UND out of your problems NDSU...look at your leader not the campus north of you.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who started this?

A group of NDSU alumni, namely,
the NDSU Foundation

How?

They closed the open spigot of money during a meeting during NDSU's homecoming week.

Why?

Money is tight and they probably started to question where some of it was going.

Like what?

Say ...

- $1,000,000.00 cost overrun on a new president's house

- $50,000.00 per year (no-show) job for president's wife

- $83,000.00 average annual expenses by the president paid from open NDSU Development Foundation account, and the clincher,

- $22,000.00 (boondoggle?) trip to Washington, DC, taking the whole family on private charter.

But isn't all that NDSU Foundation money private money?

Yes, it is. But they rely on private donors who expect accountability from the Foundation. Lose the accountability, lose the donors.

So why'd they release all of this information to the press? Isn't the NDSU Foundation private? They don't have to do open records.

Ah, there's the key question:
Why *did* the NDSU Foundation willingly put all of this dirty laundry out to the media.

I see where NDSU students are trying to get a rally together to try and get Chapman to stay. When the investigation into Chapmans spending is complete and they have some sort of total amount figured, they should take that amount and put it on every students fees each semester. They can call it the Chapman Fee. This constantly will remind the students of the excessive wasteful spending of President Joe. Then we'll see if they still want to rally.

I went over to Bisonville.com and read some of the things they are saying about Chapman resigning and surprise surprise UND is getting blamed by this because Joel Heitkamp is a UND supporter...2 people on the legislators were UND grads and they say Kelley should resign because UND has gone over in costs....Ok #1 Heitkamp and UND did NOT spend money on a presidental mansion for NDSU that was over budget by a million bucks they did not take a $22,000 trip to Washington D.C. I just can't believe they could say Kelley's over budget was close to Chapman's....NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!! Leave UND out of your problems NDSU...look at your leader not the campus north of you.

Yeah, I went over there (Bisonville) and was reading as well, they are upset and lashing out at The Forum/Amy Dalrymple, KFGO/Joel Heitkamp and yes, UND. Hearing them talk about Chapman The Great and how people were out to get him, how they won't read the Forum anymore or listen to KFGO ever again, it kinda reminded me of "Leave Brittany Alone" with Chris Crocker.

Yeah, I went over there (Bisonville) and was reading as well, they are upset and lashing out at The Forum/Amy Dalrymple, KFGO/Joel Heitkamp and yes, UND. Hearing them talk about Chapman The Great and how people were out to get him, how they won't read the Forum anymore or listen to KFGO ever again, it kinda reminded me of "Leave Brittany Alone" with Chris Crocker.

leave-britney-alone-guy.jpg

LEAVE JOE ALONE!!!

The posters there that worshipped him can't accept that their master had fatal flaws. It's got to be a terrible blow to their psyche. Perhaps in a some day, when all the information comes out, they'll grasph the truth. But for now, it's the blame game. It's never the person they see in the mirror: it's always the refs, the MVFC commissioner, UND, the legislature., etc, etc, etc.

Who started this?

A group of NDSU alumni, namely,

How?

They closed the open spigot of money during a meeting during NDSU's homecoming week.

Why?

Money is tight and they probably started to question where some of it was going.

Like what?

Say ...

- $1,000,000.00 cost overrun on a new president's house

- $50,000.00 per year (no-show) job for president's wife

- $83,000.00 average annual expenses by the president paid from open NDSU Development Foundation account, and the clincher,

- $22,000.00 (boondoggle?) trip to Washington, DC, taking the whole family on private charter.

But isn't all that NDSU Foundation money private money?

Yes, it is. But they rely on private donors who expect accountability from the Foundation. Lose the accountability, lose the donors.

So why'd they release all of this information to the press? Isn't the NDSU Foundation private? They don't have to do open records.

Ah, there's the key question:
Why *did* the NDSU Foundation willingly put all of this dirty laundry out to the media.

Chapman was worth it. He should get to have private accounts/expenses like that for the leadership/growth he single handily provided for NDSU.

Chapman was worth it. He should get to have private accounts/expenses like that for the leadership/growth he single handily provided for NDSU.

"The masses have never thirsted after TRUTH. They turn aside from EVIDENCE that is not to their taste, preferrino to DEIFY ERROR, if error seduces them. Whoever can supply them with ILLUSIONS is easily their MASTER; whoever attempts to DESTROY their illusions is always their VICTIM", Gustave LeBon. About says it all does it not?

In the big picture, Joe was little more than an unaccountable bully with a huge ego...thief isn't out of the conversation either.

Ken Lay and Jeff Skilling were worth it, they provided lots of well paid jobs, if nobody would have been nosy, all would be well.

Don't tell us.

Tell the NDSU Foundation board. Tell Barry Batchellor, the chair of that board.

They're the ones who cut off Joe's mad-money slush fund, not us, not UND.

Allow me to ask again:

Why did the NDSU Foundation willingly put out all of the details of elaborate spending when they as a private organization are not required to?

Maybe he should run for public office. Politicians seem to like spending OPM without any real accountability. Kudos to the 'su Foundation for having more stones than some of bison faithful.

Don't tell us.

Tell the NDSU Foundation board. Tell Barry Batchellor, the chair of that board.

They're the ones who cut off Joe's mad-money slush fund, not us, not UND.

Allow me to ask again:

Why did the NDSU Foundation willingly put out all of the details of elaborate spending when they as a private organization are not required to?

To me this is the all important question that I have yet to see answered. They could have accompolished all of this internally with the foundation cutting off funding and putting limits in place with out going public with all of this information, was there a secondary intention due to the amount of money he was spending inappropriately? Furthermor the biggest scare NDSU should be thinking of right now. What do all of the donors that donated to the foundation think? As a donor of UND annually, I would be appauled if I saw this kind of disregard in spending. What kind of hit will the foundation take donation wise by making this public, as I guarantee you there are upset donors out there right now?

To me this is the all important question that I have yet to see answered. They could have accompolished all of this internally with the foundation cutting off funding and putting limits in place with out going public with all of this information, was there a secondary intention due to the amount of money he was spending inappropriately? Furthermor the biggest scare NDSU should be thinking of right now. What do all of the donors that donated to the foundation think? As a donor of UND annually, I would be appauled if I saw this kind of disregard in spending. What kind of hit will the foundation take donation wise by making this public, as I guarantee you there are upset donors out there right now?

The problem is that the NDSU Foundation will likely get hit from both sides.

There will be the donors that were the blind followers of Chapman that are going to be angry with the Foundation for airing the dirty laundry which forced his resignation.

Then on the other side there will be those donors that won't want to give because of the reckless spending being allowed previously.

The NDSU Foundation is going to need some tremendous leadership to pull through this and not have donations sink significantly.

There will be the donors that were the blind followers of Chapman that are going to be angry with the Foundation for airing the dirty laundry which forced his resignation.

Then on the other side there will be those donors that won't want to give because of the reckless spending being allowed previously.

The NDSU Foundation is going to need some tremendous leadership to pull through this and not have donations sink significantly.

Which goes back to the question of why do this? Someone within the foundation needs to be fired for releasing this. None of this would be happening if they would have just handled it internally. Something tells me within the coming weeks there is going to be much more information coming out from other people as I have a gut feeling that this is just getting started.

Not likely.

This won't effect donations positively or negatively by any significant amount.

Which goes back to the question of why do this? Someone within the foundation needs to be fired for releasing this. None of this would be happening if they would have just handled it internally. Something tells me within the coming weeks there is going to be much more information coming out from other people as I have a gut feeling that this is just getting started.

Because, as ScottM mentioned a couple of posts above, someone involved with the Foundation knew that it was wrong and had the stones to bring it to light.

I don't really see the big deal here. Not in the slightest.

Did he do anything illegal?

I would even go so far as to question if it was unethical.

Like I said, he was worth every penny and then some.

Sometimes you just have to stop the bleeding, you think by letting the status quo continue everybody with knowledge of the situation would come out scot free?

Sometimes it is a greater good motive, sometimes it is a self preservation motive of not wanting to be seen as an enabler of misbehavior with other peoples money.

Maybe someone in the room didn't care who they offended and wanted to do the right thing.

We may never know.

Not likely.

This won't effect donations positively or negatively by any significant amount.

Well it certainly isn't going to have a positive effect.

And this is going to take a long time for NDSU to repair lost trust in the eyes of the general public. North Dakotans don't take well to this sort of thing. :)

Well it certainly isn't going to have a positive effect.

And this is going to take a long time for NDSU to repair lost trust in the eyes of the general public. North Dakotans don't take well to this sort of thing. :)

Again, no.

You're way overblowing this. Probably on purpose, as some sort of fantasy about destroying NDSU's reputation :D

I don't really see the big deal here. Not in the slightest.

Did he do anything illegal?

I would even go so far as to question if it was unethical.

Like I said, he was worth every penny and then some.

Don't be suprised if the IRS has him on their speed dial by now!

To not even consider his behavior unethical speaks volume to your character or lack there of! :)