SiouxSports.com Forum

goaltending

schmidtdoggydog

Did anybody happen to catch Blais on the radio this morning being interviewed by TH and SS? I just happened to catch the part of the interview where Blais addressed the goaltending situation. He stated that Brandt currently is the #1 goaltender and that he is not planning on keeping four goaltenders on the final roster this year, therefore, one of the remaining four would likely be cut.

He equated having four goaltenders to having 17 forwards and basically said that it isn't practical. Perhaps he was just blowing smoke, I couldn't really tell one way or another.

Like I said, I didn't catch the entire interview and was hoping someone could elaborate or fill in any gaps.

ok... so i haven't been up on hockey over the off season... really terrible i know.. i went to "meet the sioux" last night.. and i saw that zachs brother is on the roster goaltending.. obviously... can anyone tell me a bit about him... haven't even heard much hype like we did with zach. :angry:

He mentioned that in the league the standard seems to be 3 goalies on the squad. Having 4 goalies isn't "bad", it just is better for the goalies to rotate 3 during practice, more of a chance to face some action/pucks.

Ranfranz graduates after this year (03-04), Brandt next year. Next year (04-05) would likely have 4 scholarship goalies for UND; however, the following year (05-06) would be the "optimal" 3 goalie set -- 2 juniors and a sophomore, and barring any changes (06-07) would be those same 3.

I like giving certain people the benefit of the doubt, even though I know deep down they'll always be hopeless, eternal jacka$$es :angry:

Some of the stuff Happy writes reminds me of some of the Gopher fans I had met at the final five back when UND was the dominate team, and the Gophers were the chumps. These clueless fans used the same tired logic that Happy is still using today, the 25 year old Canadians, and that made us cheaters and that some how our NCAA title in 1997 didn't count because we didn't play Michigan. No boby ever mentioned that UND still has more Mcnaughten cups than the Gophers.

Funny thing is Happy and guys like Yellow Turd are still spewing this stuff/crap. I think this is the year that the Sioux take back their arena from the Dirty Gophers (I am so tired of hearing it call Marryucci West) and I also believe that UND will go far in the NCAA tourney.

but chooses to provoke people instead.

Actually it isn't people in the general sense, it is UND fans. We are the Chosen Ones, at least as far as Happy is concerned. One of his biggest gripes is over-age Canadians ruinning college hockey -- well, if that was such a concern, why did he not rip into Cornell during last season? If cupcake schedules are such a fascination why focus on UND -- he could point out that Michigan & Cornell had weaker SOS than MN & UNH (and UND, not that that matters) and that's why they did not make the finals -- instead he picks on UND. Honestly, who cares about his opinion? Actually, I do because in the world of the internet he who posts the same thing over, and over, and over, and OVER to the point of ad nauseam, eventually convinces others it is gospel. So kudos to those who fight the good fight of rebutting the happys of the world.

Hey happy here's a post for you that doesn't even list how many championships UND has.

5 is greater than 2!!! (50's, 60's, 80's, 90's, 00's) vs. (70's, 00's)

Go Sioux. :angry:

Honestly, who cares about his opinion? Actually, I do because in the world of the internet he who posts the same thing over, and over, and over, and OVER to the point of ad nauseam, eventually convinces others it is gospel. So kudos to those who fight the good fight of rebutting the happys of the world.

I rebutted Happy & Scooby over the summer but realized I was fighting a losing battle. I work in the mental health field & see many traits that parallel these dimwits. They both display constant attention-seeking behaviors that are a sign of a Borderline personality. Cupcake this & cupcake that are nothing more than "Hey, look at me & respond to my posts" cries. Responding to them just perpetuates their little games; ignoring them over a long period would probably make them move on to some other shtick/act. Sioux fans who continue flaming with them won't make them go away (& you know who you are :angry: ) I learned my lesson the hard way...

the goalie situation is B...S...!! Ranfranz deserves to be on the team...

he has worked the hardest & has had the most experience! I have watched him since minnesota high school. He is definitely better then the 2 new goalies they brought in. by the way why can't blaiss go with 4 goalies this year..:angry:?? he has in the past...?? also to wait until the last minute to cut ranfranz..get a life!! for blaiss to say he is the hardest working kid on the team & then to cut him like that...unfair!!!

i believe they are going to miss ranfranz

he has worked the hardest & has had the most experience! I have watched him since minnesota high school. He is definitely better then the 2 new goalies they brought in. by the way why can't blaiss go with 4 goalies this year..:angry:?? he has in the past...?? also to wait until the last minute to cut ranfranz..get a life!! for blaiss to say he is the hardest working kid on the team & then to cut him like that...unfair!!!

No disrespect, but having the most experience & being the hardest working doesn't necessarily make one the most talented. I think Blais said recently that having 4 goalies was akin to having 17 forwards. Someone had to go & unfortunately he was the odd man out...

Ryan Sofie worked his butt off for three years, but you know what? He wasn't that great of a goalie. You can work as hard as you want, but sooner or later if you don't have the talent you probably won't be playing anymore. It may be unfortunate, but it's life. Ranny seems like a nice guy from the few times I've talked to him and I think it would be nice if he was on the team, but oh well.

Come on, first off you can't run an effective practice with 4 goalies.

Last year is last year and the goaltending has to improve. To say that Ranny is better than the other two is mere speculation, they were recruited for a reason.

It will be interesting to see what happened next season.

clshneids...you're right, I worked my ass off in football and hockey practice in high school, I should have been on the varsity hockey team and should now be playing both for Notre Dame :angry: . That is ludacris reasoning. If it was between him and Foyt, and we know we need a Dman more than yet another goalie, you go with Foyt. As far as which goalie to cut, maybe Ziggy and Parise just simply outplayed him in practice. I like Ranny a lot and wish he was on the team, but if he's not good enough to make it, he shouldn't.

Interesting article in the Herald today...relates to previous posts.

Herald Article About Brandt

I'd rather see Brandt play on Saturday against Duluth and sit against Concordia (Montreal) next week.

As much as I like the guy, I think Blais did the right thing by committing to benching him at least one game. Jake screwed up and he has to face the consequences. If Blais thinks that is sitting for a game that is what must be done.

Good luck Jake! Go Sioux!

PS (Goehring has made 36 saves on 39 shots with the Crunch in the last two games, he played in one preseason game with the Blue Jackets making 8 saves on 9 shots)