SiouxSports.com Forum

South Dakota v North Dakota

Yote 53

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm new to SiouxSports and this is my first post. I am so impressed with the Sioux defense and the goal line stance in the USD game. Yes, it was a tough day at the office a week ago but I write that off as an aberration; one too many road miles. I moved here from Oregon this summer where I was a huge Ducks fan. I'm really liking what I'm seeing in my new hometown of Grand Forks and at UND. Can't wait to see my first hockey game! Great people here.

I'm new to SiouxSports and this is my first post. I am so impressed with the Sioux defense and the goal line stance in the USD game. Yes, it was a tough day at the office a week ago but I write that off as an aberration; one too many road miles. I moved here from Oregon this summer where I was a huge Ducks fan. I'm really liking what I'm seeing in my new hometown of Grand Forks and at UND. Can't wait to see my first hockey game! Great people here.

Welcome to Grand Forks, welcome to UND and welcome to SiouxSports.com. I think you will enjoy your time here and will probably fall in love with Sioux hockey. Most people do.

Welcome to Grand Forks, welcome to UND and welcome to SiouxSports.com. I think you will enjoy your time here and will probably fall in love with Sioux hockey. Most people do.

I echo the welcome to UND and Grand Forks. I am sure you will enjoy all UND athletics!

I hope you post on SS often! It would be good to hear from you from time to time about your perspective of how UND rates vs. Oregon (or any other DI program) in running their Athletic Department (marketing, the level of excitement at events, professionalism, etc.). Obviously, what you will see at UND will be on a smaller scale but I would be interested in your thoughts.

Not to be a stickler, OK, to be a stickler, UND's official green color-shade is Pantone 347 in the Pantone color matching system.

See bottom of page in this link: http://www.und.edu/dept/our/html/logosPrint.html#5

I think they should have at least waited with the uniforms until the budget allowed them to have matching helmets.

Have to agree with the first poster on the topic - that jersey color is terrible, and to have a helmet in yet a different color looks just stupid.

I echo the welcome to UND and Grand Forks. I am sure you will enjoy all UND athletics!

I hope you post on SS often! It would be good to hear from you from time to time about your perspective of how UND rates vs. Oregon (or any other DI program) in running their Athletic Department (marketing, the level of excitement at events, professionalism, etc.). Obviously, what you will see at UND will be on a smaller scale but I would be interested in your thoughts.

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I am familiar with the Pac 10 schools as that is where I grew up. However, do the people of Grand Forks and UND realize what they have in the Ralph Engelstad Arena? Wow, that place has no equal and a college facility no less. Also, when going by on I29 I see this huge building that has a unique beauty all it's own and I"m told it's the college football stadium. I knew this is where I want to be. Am I ready for -40? I've heard it keeps the riff raff out and I have no problem with that. :(

I think they should have at least waited with the uniforms until the budget allowed them to have matching helmets.

Have to agree with the first poster on the topic - that jersey color is terrible, and to have a helmet in yet a different color looks just stupid.

At least they're not nearly as bad as the new hockey jerseys. I sure hope those are more functional than the old ones, because they definately don't look as nice.

Thanks for the link. That was a riot ;) .

:D

PS...sorry, forgot....BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!! :D OR this might be the glorious PREMIERE of the BisonSportsNetwork or BS...n... APPROPRIATE! :) Fortunately those idiots think "statewide" coverage is the "greatest thing ever!" and they suck this season so it doesn't really matter....so EVERYONE WINS! ???

I gotta say it was a great reading all the threads that were made after there loss on Saturday. I mean just pure comical. The sky is falling indeed for them :).

Gotta say they had it coming though with there pompous attitude and smack talking. Karma is a @#$%& !!

Anyways though I surely do enjoy beating USD. Even though I always enjoyed playing Nebraska-Omaha more. Better rivalry IMO. None the less great win to open the season at the Alerus.

GO Sioux!!

Last night on the Fox College Sports Broadcast, Faison was interviewed in the 2nd intermission. He stated something to the effect that progress had been made on playing NDSU in different sports. He specifically mentioned what an incredible crowd a sport like volleyball would have, as NDSU has an NCAA qualifying squad and UND's squad is getting stronger. If NDSU's football record keeps going south, they may need an NDSU/UND game to maintain ticket sales.

I'm not sure how this is gonna come across but the great thing about a 4pm start time is it gives the students time to "recover" from the night before and leads to a louder alerus and a more packed building to.

I am fairly certain that the students aren't "recovering" from the night before.....they just get 6 hours of sleep instead of 4 before they get up and go again until gametime.

I gotta say it was a great reading all the threads that were made after there loss on Saturday. I mean just pure comical. The sky is falling indeed for them :).

Gotta say they had it coming though with there pompous attitude and smack talking. Karma is a @#$%& !!

Anyways though I surely do enjoy beating USD. Even though I always enjoyed playing Nebraska-Omaha more. Better rivalry IMO. None the less great win to open the season at the Alerus.

GO Sioux!!

Possibly the most difficult issue for NDSU fans to stomach is that they face another couple years of football transition: effectively their lead time on us has evaporated. And they still haven't addressed BB facilities and broadcasting issues: while both NDSU and UND need an indoor practice center. NDSU's priority issue is their BB facility: UND's is an indoor practice center. If and when UND announces a renovation of the Old Ralph (or building new), the outcry from Bisonville will get even uglier.

My thoughts on the game:

1) The offense was much better than the last game I watched (Northwestern State). The offensive line looks like it is starting to come together and they really did a nice job of opening up running lanes. Landry played better and Bamba is developing into a star at receiver.

2) Even though the 12 points allowed looks nice, I was not very comfortable with how the defense played for the most part. The tackling still isn't very good and as I've mentioned before, UND really lacks playmakers at linebacker. Hard to play an effective 3-4 when that is your weak point.

3) I've never been a big Noah Shephard fan. He's too inconsistent throwing the football and Saturday was another case of that.

4) Seemed to be a lot of post game whinning coming from Ed Meierkort. Normally he is pretty gracious but I'm guessing the frustration of not being able to beat UND is getting to him?

5) The Alerus looks good with the new UND signage. A much needed improvement.

6) I hate singling out players for performance, but Delano Saporu REALLY needs some work with a tackling dummy.

7) I mentioned before the Northwestern State game that UND needed to come out of this week 2-2 to have a good shot at a winning season. Mission accomplished.

8) Mussman is doing a nice job of coaching. This isn't the most talented team in the world but they are finding ways to win. A couple more years and UND should be a very good FCS program.

9) The 4 PM start time is a very good idea IMO. Like others in this thread have stated, it gives more time for socializing/ tailgating and gives people a chance to get weekend tasks done in the morning while still easily making the game.

10) Sioux football on national TV is awesome!

The national television coverage in a lot our sports is awesome. When the contract with Fox College Sports was announced it reminded me of a boxing match. You know when a participant takes a standing 8 count. I have a feeling NDSU took an 8 count on that announcement. I think that they were a little stunned.

I'll also add I'm very happy UND and USD didn't invent some joke trophy to make this series seem more important than it actually is (or ever was!). Every year for us, it's a solid matchup between two very good football teams - we didn't need to create a pretend concrete boat anchor trophy and overhype a meaningless "rivalry" to make our ND/SD border war seem more important that it is! Hats off to the Yotes! They played a good game...so did we! The winner was determined on the field Saturday...nuff said!

I'll also add I'm very happy UND and USD didn't invent some joke trophy to make this series seem more important than it actually is (or ever was!). Every year for us, it's a solid matchup between two very good football teams - we didn't need to create a pretend concrete boat anchor trophy and overhype a meaningless "rivalry" to make our ND/SD border war seem more important that it is! Hats off to the Yotes! They played a good game...so did we! The winner was determined on the field Saturday...nuff said!

The game has the sitting bull trophy but the PC crowd wanted it to go away and it did. I am guessing it is still sitting in Memorial Stadium somewhere.

The game has the sitting bull trophy but the PC crowd wanted it to go away and it did. I am guessing it is still sitting in Memorial Stadium somewhere.

Actually, if memory serves me correctly, the Sitting Bull Trophy is in South Dakota. When they requested the retirement of the trophy, they also requested that it be returned to them. I seem to remember that the trophy originated with USD and so the determination of its use was more or less in their hands. Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken about any of these points.

I think UND has Sitting Bull. Lord knows he spent more time on UND's campus than USD's over the 47 years we competed for him.

I'm in favor of introducing a new traveling trophy. I don't think it would be contrived since we did play for Sitting Bull for all those years, unlike two schools who invented one out of nowhere. We have given our trophy battle a proper 10 year rest. 2010 would be a good year to reintroduce something new.

A Golden Pheasant, maybe??? I like trophy's based in history though.

Actually, if memory serves me correctly, the Sitting Bull Trophy is in South Dakota. When they requested the retirement of the trophy, they also requested that it be returned to them. I seem to remember that the trophy originated with USD and so the determination of its use was more or less in their hands. Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken about any of these points.

According to the UND football media guide, the trophy was introduced by a weekly publication that hasn't existed for years. So my guess is, since USD itself did not originate the trophy and would seemingly have no basis for requesting it, UND probably does still have it in a trophy case somewhere in Memorial Stadium.

Possibly the most difficult issue for NDSU fans to stomach is that they face another couple years of football transition: effectively their lead time on us has evaporated. And they still haven't addressed BB facilities and broadcasting issues: while both NDSU and UND need an indoor practice center. NDSU's priority issue is their BB facility: UND's is an indoor practice center. If and when UND announces a renovation of the Old Ralph (or building new), the outcry from Bisonville will get even uglier.

They still have a superior football conference situation. There