SiouxSports.com Forum

INCH - WCHA Preview

CoteauRinkRat

All to be expected by them...

1) Blowing sunshine up Vanek's ass

2) Duluth is looking to solve "unfinished business (no NCAA bid last year)

3) Sioux golies stink (nice link to the curse article, I see :0 )

yada...yada...yada

I swear, every pre-season article is a clone of the other... :D

Yah, the article wasn't all that bad IMO. I think you UND-ers just didn't like the Goalie article. From the outside looking in, it DOES kinda look like a curse. All in all, a pretty good recap on the WCHA. As for blowing sunshine, I think airmail would preffer it blowing up "god's" breezers! :D

WPoS

INCH is to Sioux hockey as the N.Y. Times is to right-wing Republicans--incompatible. An unbiased H.E. observer would tell you the same thing. Their agenda is to sugarcoat Gopher hockey, but at the same time sprinkle some niceties about other programs to make it sound somewhat impartial. That's understandable considering who the owners are.

It seems like the goalie concern has taken on a life of its own. The USCHO beat writer mentions it every week in his articles, a few disgruntled Sioux fans (including me) talk about it quite often, Gopher fans pick up on this & exaggerate it & before you know it we have a crisis on our hands. I think the more important concern is frequent, balanced scoring that'll take us higher & further...

As much as I beat up on INCH as a tabloid, it is nice to have another outlet for college hockey. If they had a paper version, I'd never have to buy toilet paper again. :D Besides, they probably get most of their hockey info from USCHO and team boards ... :):0

Now, if they only had a bulletin board ...

FWIW: I worry less about UND's goalie issues than I do about other facets of their game and the team in general. But whatever gets certain clowns through the night.

"That's understandable considering who the owners are."

-- siox fan in phoenix

The owners of INCH are a St. Thomas/Denver alum living in Michigan and a Princeton alum living in DC. If that doesn't spell "Gopher bias" what does!?!?!

Where is St. Thomas again? Maybe that accounts for some of the homerism.

Whatever, 1 week to hockey...

St. Thomas unless they are talking about the Virgin Islands is right down from the Campus of the University of Minnesota.

This site has no credibility, it is nothjing more than a tabloid. Their rediculous articles are the proof in the pudding.

I am sorry but you can not say that Dean Blais isnt' as good of a coach as Don Lucia, last time I check Blaiser was an assistant on Gino's three teams that won NCAA titles. I also heard he did a lot of the recruiting. Also, Dean has accomplished more than Jerry York or Mike Schaffer from Cornell, and last time I checked Sauer coached longer and still only won 2 NCAA titles.

Lastly, I could care less about the Blow daugs. They have a goaltender and a few nice forwards.

Yeah, then we could talk to/about eachother on a fourth message board...

:0

Then I'd have to go from regular Bayer to ultra Tylenol :)

For crying out loud, sagard, when're you gonna cross over to our side? You seem to meet the minimum qualifications of the average Sioux fan: knowledgeable, highly intelligent, enlightened & always respectable towards other fans. You can submit your application anytime... :D

In INCH's Defense, they made reference to a prominent UND landmark, the Coulee! That means that they made a trip up here for a UND-UM match at least once in the site's history and took a tour of the campus perhaps?

This article is middle of the road. Nothing special. Yeah yeah yeah, three peat blah blah blah. Ok, There is a chance the UM could three peat, but let's face it. Think long and hard and you'll figure out that both UM and UND have one thing in common. Unknown goaltenders. Jake can be good when he's consistent and Johnson hasn't played many games so it is unknown how well he'll play along the stretch. Both schools have excellent rookees. Both teams have returning superstars.

If you ask me, the team with the coach that makes the least mistakes this season, whether UM or UND, is going to win it all, because from a talent and goaltending standpoint, these two teams are nearly identical.

Maybe this year the refs will be equal in calling stupid penalties on everyone instead of just the Sioux (and UM when they play MSU-M Sheesh)

Lastly, I could care less about the Blow daugs. They have a goaltender and a few nice forwards.

If I've learned anything in 36 years, it's that you can't change people's fixed delusions. Pump them full of psychotropic meds, counter their false beliefs with facts, etc., it ain't gonna work. If some Duluth fans think their team will finish ahead of the Sioux, fine, let them have their preseason fantasies. UND tanked it the final 2 months last year & still finished ahead of the Bulldogs-- 1 goalie & a few forwards won't carry them through the entire season, imo. They may surprise in the beginning, but their lack of depth will be telling in February. We'll see. Every fan is entitled to be optimistic, even UAA fans :D.

Before REA the English Coulee was the most "talked" about thing in Grand Forks. :)

Why would they blow sunshine up Vanek's a$$...it's not like he's good or anything. ;)

Overall it was a pretty good article...hey, an 8-6 win is still a win.

And the hot/cold Hauser!

Are you admitting that Hauser sucked? :):):D I'd say hell has frozen over...but I have yet to get laid :D , so.......chilly?:0?

If you ask me, the team with the coach that makes the least mistakes this season, whether UM or UND, is going to win it all, because from a talent and goaltending standpoint, these two teams are nearly identical.

I disagree in part.

UM has more highly skilled senior players, and most of the team has won 2 national championships. This team knows how to play in the post season and has excellent leadership.

I believe we have excellent leadership too, but most of these guys haven't experienced more than one sub-par NCAA tournament effort, and we don't possess the same number of senior skill players.

UM is still heavier weighted to win, IMO. But I don't count the Sioux out.

Hmmm How many players on the 2000 championship UND team were on the 1997 one?

Yes, experience does factor into it. UM has the corner on that market. However, talent is pretty similar. Both teams' superstars are returning sophomores. Both teams are relying on either inconsistent or unknown goaltenders who are both Juniors. Both teams have good size in their defensive corps. Neither team has a truly devastating offensive defensemen (unless you consider Ballard and Schneider Offensive D mean). The dark horse (I think I'm using that phrase right) for the Sioux is the special teams, which, admittedly, UM has in place for the most part. Speed... well, I'd say that UM has a faster team

So as I write this post, I think that UM does have an edge (unknown is better than inconsistent when you have the defense and offense of UM or UND IMO). However that edge is only a good bounce of the puck or a breakaway from being either nullified or swung the other way. In other words, it isn't as clearly defined as it was during the second half of the season last year.

Hmmm How many players on the 2000 championship UND team were on the 1997 one?

Yes, experience does factor into it. UM has the corner on that market. However, talent is pretty similar. Both teams' superstars are returning sophomores. Both teams are relying on either inconsistent or unknown goaltenders who are both Juniors. Both teams have good size in their defensive corps. Neither team has a truly devastating offensive defensemen (unless you consider Ballard and Schneider Offensive D mean). The dark horse (I think I'm using that phrase right) for the Sioux is the special teams, which, admittedly, UM has in place for the most part. Speed... well, I'd say that UM has a faster team

So as I write this post, I think that UM does have an edge (unknown is better than inconsistent when you have the defense and offense of UM or UND IMO). However that edge is only a good bounce of the puck or a breakaway from being either nullified or swung the other way. In other words, it isn't as clearly defined as it was during the second half of the season last year.

I agree with a lot of what you say, specifically goaltending and defense being relatively even. Ballard is, IMO, a "devastating" offensive defenseman ala Roche, etc. Schneider more quietly gets his points. Overall both teams are very good defensively.

I think MN has more offensive depth through lines 1-4. I think at times in the past our 4th line was basically just spelling the other lines. That wasn't the case in the years when the Sioux had dominant teams and not the case with MN the last couple of years.

Hopefully the Sioux will have that depth this year that shows we can score anytime at least on lines 1-3 and our last line can be one counted on to play a good checking game. MN can score 1-4 lines, and their 4th line is also a very good checking line. That is the ultimate if it can be achieved.