New Era, New Look

GeauxSioux

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FCS and FBS.

Better, what is Grambling aspiring to?

I'm guessing they're already there and happy.

If you want to be more than you are now you need to be independently recognizable.

The bottom line is that the top level of college sports, FBS level of Division I, have distinct logos and do not copy others that they may compete with. Lower levels sometimes copy the big boys. Should UND follow the path of the big boys or should they settle by being another copycat (even if they technically had the logo first)?

UND is at a lower level, I-AA. And, for the record, Notre Dame copied UND.

Did you even read what I said? I said that UND had the logo first in that post. And in previous posts I have pointed out that the perception of the public is that the logo belongs to Notre Dame even if UND had it first. Also, I asked if they want to follow the path of the big boys by having a distinct logo or if they want to settle for being a copycat (as it appears to 99% of the population). The level distinction only applies to football, if UND is going to use this logo for any length of time it will end up being used in other sports where UND may compete directly with Notre Dame (like they have always done in hockey, the only other sport you are interested in following).

Do Georgia and Grambling both compete in D1 basketball?

For the 3rd time I ask, do they want to follow the path of the big boys by having a distinct logo or if they want to settle for being a copycat (as it appears to 99% of the population)?

If you're asking me...

I would be content sharing a logo with another team that copied us (even if 99% of the population is under the illusion that we copied them).

But as long as we're I-AA we are not among the "big boys", so again I don't see why this is even being made an issue of.

Think small, be small. With the move to I-AA underway, hopefully the powers that be at UND aren't thinking as small as you are.

Look familiar Dave? Continuing to use a logo that you know will always be associated with another school instead of your school is really thinking small time.

But as long as we're I-AA we are not among the "big boys", so again I don't see why this is even being made an issue of.

UND is the big boys in DI hockey.

Why act small time if the ultimate goal is big time?

Show me two "big time" schools that share a common logo.

If you aspire to more, you have to start behaving the way those with more behave.

"There were all kinds of things I was afraid of at first, ranging from grizzly bears to 'mean' horses and gun-fighters; but by acting as if I was not afraid I gradually ceased to be afraid." -- Theodore Roosvelt

UND is the big boys in DI hockey.

Why act small time if the ultimate goal is big time?

Show me two "big time" schools that share a common logo.

If you aspire to more, you have to start behaving the way those with more behave.

"There were all kinds of things I was afraid of at first, ranging from grizzly bears to 'mean' horses and gun-fighters; but by acting as if I was not afraid I gradually ceased to be afraid." -- Theodore Roosvelt

Just become Badger fans. Then you will actually be a big boy (in sports more cared about). and you don't need to worry about our mascot being a problem or copied by any cat licks like notre dame.

Thinking small is conceding the logo to the copycats because they're more well known. If you want to think big you pull out the big guns and let it be known who had the logo first. Once that has been established, be the bigger man by graciously sharing the logo with the copycats.

That's a very nice idea in theory Dave...but we'd look like freaking IDIOTS!

Thinking small is conceding the logo to the copycats because they're more well known. If you want to think big you pull out the big guns and let it be known who had the logo first. Once that has been established, be the bigger man by graciously sharing the logo with the copycats.

Dave, I thought you were anti-gun. :lol::)

Like mentioned above: Very nice idea in theory DaveK, but in practice, imagine the costs! Who would foot the bill? How would you attack this problem? Drop flyers from our UAV's across the nation? TV, Radio, Newspaper advertising? Hire folks to go speak in public forums?

Not trying to pick apart theories here, but DaveK, your posts are simply and absolutely ridiculous! Come on now!

Sorry Dave, I'm trying to think outside the box. UND doesn't have an unlimited budget. And people really don't care who had it first, the other guys have it now. So we need something that isn't exactly the same other than color (especially since they use green as a school color too). Sharing may be good for children, but it isn't going to work when one of the major names in college athletics is so far out front. We will always be in very deep, dark shadows if we try to share a logo with them.

Do you consider Grambling to be in the shadow of Georgia because they have the same logo with different colors? Do you think that by simply changing their logo Grambling could all of a sudden become significantly more popular?

In the shadows, not necessarily because they have their own niche and their own following. But their logo doesn't help them because most people across the country will either think of Georgia or the Green Bay Packers. The only way you know it's Grambling is if it also says Grambling, which means the logo is not effective. Will they become more popular with a new logo, maybe or maybe not. That would depend on the quality of the logo and what they did with it. But they would be able to be more identifiable with a new logo.

Grambling may be satisfied with the niche they are in, one of the former black colleges. If I remember right, their league doesn't participate in the FCS tournament so they have already chosen to run things a little differently. If they like the niche then I would tell them to keep the logo. If they want to be more identifiable on a national scale I would tell them to change the logo. It goes back to what I have said before, if you want to run the program like the big boys you will want a unique logo or unique identifier. If you want to have your school continually confused with a larger competitor than you can use something that looks like a copy. That is what a few of the smaller schools do because they have no concerns about being recognized on a national scale.

UND athletics announces redesign, enhancement interlocking ND imagery

The modernized imagery, which will complement the official Fighting Sioux logo, provides UND athletics with a unique, alternate logo while emphasizing the University’s identity as the flagship institution of the state of North Dakota.

UND athletics worked with The Joe Bosack Graphic Design Co. to redesign the interlocking ND while also adding a new family of logos for use on the athletics department’s apparel, printed materials, digital applications and merchandise. Varsity sports, spirit groups and various departments will be given their own sport-specific logo.

A custom “Nodak” font has also been designed to accompany several versions of the imagery.

Official word on the interlocking ND.

Nodak font. I like that.

Reading here and there I guess I'm confused.

Some of the initial responses here: No big change.

Yet there are so many negative reactions also.

If it's no big change, what's the issue?

Do these folks not understand that both the Ben Brien logo and an interlocked ND are both official athletics logos?

Hockey featured the Brien predominantly; football featured the interlocked ND predominantly (see: helmets).

So they tweeked the interlocked ND somewhat. And let's face it folks, they tweeked it. They went from a block outline font to a 3-D pointed serif font.

I don't understand the negative reactions in some quarters.

Are some thinking that this is the last sign that "Sioux" and the Brien logo are gone and the reaction is based on that?

I was just about to point out the same thing in regards to the sudden hatred of the new interlocking "ND". I don't recall everyone complaining about it (with the possible exception of DaveK) in the "New Uniforms" thread. Face it, the old "ND" will always be looked at as the Notre Dame "ND". I like the fact that someone recognized that and decided to give it a fresh look. Perhaps I'm the wrong one to ask about the artistic appeal with the new logo. Remember my "attempt" at creating something new. :)