SiouxSports.com Forum

The Hobey Watch

sprig

I think the only reason that Parise and Vanek are on the list is they are too good to ignore. I think CSTV is based out east somwhere, so other than ZP and TV, Michigan is as far west as they are going to go. I think Bochenski is definately in the running as is Ballard.

My 10

Ayers

Eaves

Tambellini

Parise

Vanek

Bochenski

Ballard

Vesce

Umberger

Montoya

I think the only reason that Parise and Vanek are on the list is they are too good to ignore. I think CSTV is based out east somwhere, so other than ZP and TV, Michigan is as far west as they are going to go. I think Bochenski is definately in the running as is Ballard.

My 10

Ayers

Eaves

Tambellini

Parise

Vanek

Bochenski

Ballard

Vesce

Umberger

Montoya

The individual that wrote the article/made the list is from insidecollegehockey.com. As for R.J. Umberger it appears that he was removed from Ohio State's roster today even though he has yet to sign with the Canucks.

Noah Welch. Wow. If 6 goals and 22 assists qualifies you for the Hobey, then I think that Schneider should get on the list.

I admit 22 assists is a respectable number, but comon.

6 goals, 22 assists for Noah. 11 goals, 30 assists for Schneider. Yep. By simple comparison, Noah gets an "attaboy" and Andy gets the nod. Stats courtesy of fightingsioux.com

However, of course, if there is something other than production and leadership that is considered for Hobey, then maybe Noah does deserve it. Otherwise, It's Ballard or Schneider by those numbers.

Eastern bias? WHERE? Not in the Hobey award? NEVER! I DON'T beleive it! There is hockey west of Michingan/Ohio? :D

WPoS

LOL

If that isn't the truth. There's a Western Collegiate Hockey Association??? Really? The people that vote out east are the same people who couldn't believe McGovern lost to Nixon, because everyone they knew voted for McGovern.

The top players from the ECAC and CHA are virtually guaranteed finalist status because of how the voting is set up. Each coach votes for the top three players in his conference and the top three players nationally. That's why some stiff from Colgate or Yale always makes the list and everyone always wonders how the heck did they make the list.

If the writer of that article is aware of that, then his list makes more sense. If he doesn't, then he's an idiot.

Sorry to spoil the party, but this thread sounds like a bunch of regional homers. It is possible that the Eastern guys can play. Imagine how we would have shrieked had Hrkac lost to an unknown Eastern boy who was a finalist that year. I can't spell his name, but I've heard of it since: Joe Neuwendyk. I'm not saying he had a better year than Hrkac in college that year, but he must have been pretty good, even though we wouldn't have known it.

The guys who earn their place on the finalist list will be there.

I have to concur with jk.  I don't get too excited about this stuff because we don't get to see those guys play.  You can't evaluate a defenseman's contribution to a team by stats alone.  We know that well here.

True, but you HAVE to admit it is slanted a bit East of the Mighty Miss...I know that the list was a pre-season "guess", but not being to "Homer-ish", I'd stack most of the WCHA men against the Eastern teams any day and bet even if the Eastern boys are good, ours are better. I mean c'mon OHIO State?!?!?

WPoS

Yes, I think that our view is slanted a little because we don't see them play, but at the same time, I think if we had a tournament with the best WCHA players against the best in other conferences...the WCHA would kick some a$$. Remember most teams are out east, so they just don't pay attention to us unless they have to a la Vanek and Parise. 3 of the last 4 NC's have been won by the WCHA, and it was almost 4 of 5. I just don't think that the WCHA gets enough credit for how good our teams actually are.

I agree with MinnesotaNorthStar and I'd like to make a few additions.

First, look at fanbase. True, the WCHA has a lot of fans, but they don't have the population to compete with some if not most of the New England teams. Market area defines favoritism, especially when it comes to media coverage.

More fans and potential fans out east, therefore slighted towards them to boost readership and ratings. Does it mean it is objective? Nope. Not in the least, but it doesn't matter as long as it is what gets the most "butts in the seats" or eyes on the screen... whatever. Business is business. Objectivity, just like the plain truth, doesn't sell.

What do you mean? All a Sioux player needs to win it is just to set the (still standing) single season record for points :D What, you think the bar is too high?

You forgot that in addition to setting the single season scoring mark you have to:

- Center a 52 goal man (I believe it is still the single-season record), and

- Win a National Championship over the defending champion in their home state, less than three hours from their campus, in a hostile rink.

:0