SiouxSports.com Forum

Midco adding ESPNU

RedFrog

Wow, I'm being "picked on" because I'm "different". I guess you really put me in my place.

Awwww..... :glare:

I don't really consider it being picked on, I'm just laughing at your responses. I didn't say you were wrong for thinking the way you do. Carry on...PLEASE! :ohmy:

I hate HD. Not the actual product itself, but the way it has been overhyped and force-fed to the public.

Guess what: I don't like the hype either. So what. (shrug)

But let's talk about the actual product, because seeing is believing: The image quality is no contest.

Yeah, if you get up past 32" or so you gotta start looking at 1080p. 720p is perfectly fine if smaller than that.

for sure. heck 1080 is really for the future anyhow as the cable boxes will have to be redone for that but the 120 htz is what makes that tv pop. crazy watching games and especially blueray dvds

for sure. heck 1080 is really for the future anyhow as the cable boxes will have to be redone for that but the 120 htz is what makes that tv pop. crazy watching games and especially blueray dvds

Blu-rays and PS3 are ballin'....HDTV is WAAAY better than SDTV, but still a small notch below what Blu-Rays are at. I'm workin' a 37" 1080i setup, PS3/Blu-Ray, 5.1 Surround setup with powered sub (never goes on in an apt right now, haha)....I hope my girlfriend grounds me to my room. :glare: When I get a full-time job now after graduating, I hope to upgrade to a 50+ inch 1080p. But that's a ways down the road yet.

grab the samsung 52 in LCD 1080 120 htz, like watching a new version of tv all together in HD and blue ray. fricken amazing

Don't miss the new Samsung LEDs at 240 hz, unbelievable, and you can feel absolutely no heat on your hand in front of the screen, as the LED backlighting use very little energy. Can't beat the color and picture, either, wish I had one. MIne is a 46" Sony Bravia xbr4

I picked up a 61" 1080p Samsung LED DLP TV last year for under $1900...the picture is amazing, but I don't see many DLP sets available now since the LCDs are coming down in price for the bigger screen sizes. When I was shopping for my TV a comparably sized "Flat Panel" TV was up around $4K - $6K. Couldn't beat the price to screen size ratio of the DLP, and the picture quality (blacks, colors) is fantastic. I sacrifice a little bit in viewing angle, but it's stellar for watching Sioux hockey on the FTA dish!! Blu-Ray on the PS3 is top-notch.

The point about HDTV being "force-fed" to the public is a bit much. Nobody is forcing anyone to go HDTV, just digital, and apparently that wasn't force-fed well enough because they still had to push the transition back to this past June.

Don't miss the new Samsung LEDs at 240 hz, unbelievable, and you can feel absolutely no heat on your hand in front of the screen, as the LED backlighting use very little energy. Can't beat the color and picture, either, wish I had one. MIne is a 46" Sony Bravia xbr4

I just got one of these a couple of weeks ago for father's day. the picture is amazing.

I just got one of these a couple of weeks ago for father's day. the picture is amazing.

You must be a better father than I :glare:

To be fair, the Sony XBR series has superb color and 120hz motion flow works great; haven't been able to compare the new samsung's 240mhz motion, but twice the speed should be better. I do like the much improved energy usage of and LED backlit screen, and the total lack of heat that the TV gives off. The Sony LCD is certainly hotter, but cannot come close to a room heating plasma. You nearly have to turn on air conditioning in the winter when you sit in front of a plasma.

In my basement it's pretty cold in midwinter. I have baseboard electric heaters but if it's just me I throw a blanket on as I sit on the couch. I think the plasma will be just fine for my purposes. Also, from what I read, the 600hz has to do with "motion recovery" which, according to one person writing a review, is perfect for hockey. Another thing I read, all cable and satellite comes in at 720p, so if you have a 1080p, it won't do you any good. But, if I can't afford it for this winter, I'll stick with SD, and if so Sioux hockey isn't in HD anyway, no big deal. But, I believe some day' it will. All TV will be HD some day.

In my basement it's pretty cold in midwinter. I have baseboard electric heaters but if it's just me I throw a blanket on as I sit on the couch. I think the plasma will be just fine for my purposes. Also, from what I read, the 600hz has to do with "motion recovery" which, according to one person writing a review, is perfect for hockey. Another thing I read, all cable and satellite comes in at 720p, so if you have a 1080p, it won't do you any good. But, if I can't afford it for this winter, I'll stick with SD, and if so Sioux hockey isn't in HD anyway, no big deal. But, I believe some day' it will. All TV will be HD some day.

Well, if you have a Blu-Ray player or PS3/Xbox360 it does do you good. :glare:

Another thing I read, all cable and satellite comes in at 720p, so if you have a 1080p, it won't do you any good.

Dish HD delivers in 1080i, and, occasionally a video on demand movie will download to the receiver, and, if you choose to rent the movie, and have a

TV capable of 1080p, you can watch in blue ray quality. The dish software, however, checks out your TV when you try to rent the movie, to test if it's 1080p, and some TV's get misidentified as not supporting it, so you can't rent it (that includes my sony xbr). I'm really not sure if anything I get is in 720p, but, if it is, I can't tell the difference.

I've posted before that, with your own KU band system, the SD first generation signal that is delivered by FSSN, is very close to HD quality on the big screen, much better than the cable FSSN version.

And HG is right, the larger screens deliver much better with the best resolution, so 1080s are needed for that. Not sure you can get a 720 in a large screen. A smaller screen, like a 32", is just as good in 720.

And of course, if you're doing blu-ray (which I still don't), you definitely want a 1080p.

I wonder if The Ralph could get enough private funding through public donations to get HD cameras setup at the rink...? I know that now I'm leaving, watching on tv is the only way I can watch, so getting HD is a nicer thought now than just going to the Ralph for every home game.

HD, SD, blah, blah, blah...all I know is I live in the twin cities metro and I can watch FSSN every home hockey weekend...my 50" Sony Wega has an excellent picture and my 4 year old thinks Ryan Duncan is the bomb. We watched the Sioux sweep the Gofs again last weekend (via tape) while we played hockey in the living room...what the hell could be better than that?

HD, SD, blah, blah, blah...all I know is I live in the twin cities metro and I can watch FSSN every home hockey weekend...my 50" Sony Wega has an excellent picture and my 4 year old thinks Ryan Duncan is the bomb. We watched the Sioux sweep the Gofs again last weekend (via tape) while we played hockey in the living room...what the hell could be better than that?

You know I deleted the UMN and UND games from my television but It would have been nice to watch them on a hot summers night.

Nothing, I mean nothing is more pleasing than watching the Gophers get dismantled and listening to the rug and wooger spin it.

Dish HD delivers in 1080i, and, occasionally a video on demand movie will download to the receiver, and, if you choose to rent the movie, and have a

TV capable of 1080p, you can watch in blue ray quality. The dish software, however, checks out your TV when you try to rent the movie, to test if it's 1080p, and some TV's get misidentified as not supporting it, so you can't rent it (that includes my sony xbr). I'm really not sure if anything I get is in 720p, but, if it is, I can't tell the difference.

I've posted before that, with your own KU band system, the SD first generation signal that is delivered by FSSN, is very close to HD quality on the big screen, much better than the cable FSSN version.

And HG is right, the larger screens deliver much better with the best resolution, so 1080s are needed for that. Not sure you can get a 720 in a large screen. A smaller screen, like a 32", is just as good in 720.

And of course, if you're doing blu-ray (which I still don't), you definitely want a 1080p.

What language are you speaking, Techie?