SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey Off-Season Thread

AZSIOUX

HF Islanders prospects

5. Jason Gregoire, LW, 20

Acquired: 3rd round, 76th overall, 2007

At 5'11, 175 pounds, Gregoire has some growing to do, but when it comes to scoring, the Winnipeg native is already showing a precocious nature for finding the net.

After lighting up the USHL for the previous three seasons, including 2008 where he was named the league's top player, Gregoire made the jump to the collegiate ranks, joining the University of North Dakota. There, Gregoire became a strong contributor right away. In 42 games, Gregoire scored 12 goals and added 17 assists, helping the club into the Frozen Four tournament and a heartbreaking overtime loss in the first round.

Gregoire needs to add some bulk, but the Winnipeg, MB native should have at least one more season, if not two, in the collegiate ranks to hone his skill and fill out his frame.

14. David Toews, C, 18

Acquired: 3rd round, 66th overall, 2008

Toews doesn't have the upside of his older brother, but he shares the same competitive fire that has propelled Jonathan to success in Chicago, and the Islanders hope that he can bring some of those qualities to their roster in the future.

The younger Toews is a solid two-way player who has already displayed some offensive upside. In 23 games with the University of North Dakota, Toews accounted for 11 points, including five goals. The totals aren't outstanding, but they mark a solid contribution for a rookie in the NCAA on a team as consistently talented as UND.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice research by brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

One interesting note about the men's hockey coaching staff is that all three of them -- Dave Hakstol, Cary Eades and Dane Jackson -- played hockey and received degrees from UND.

Out of curiosity, I finally decided to look up how many other coaching staffs around the country are made up of three alums. The answer is zero.

The Sioux staff is the only in Division I -- men's or women's -- that has a coaching staff made up entirely of alums.

And you can go much further than those three. Basically everyone surrounding the program is an alum.

• 1 month later...
not sioux related but this was obvious that something had to happen with their roster numbers..........

http://www.badgerbeat.com/news/article/id/457381

bardis out, hickey transfering and barnes delayed a year

They should start their own league with how many players they have recruited....the UWCHA, University of Wisconsin Collegiate Hockey Assocation.

What a nice way to tell a former player that he sucks to the media. :glare:

Nice job Eaves! I'm sure you're winning over future recruits already. :ohmy:

I agree...if you're a recruit and you've paid any attention to how Eaves handles his roster and number of players coming in, I'd say "Thanks but no thanks" to Wisconsin.

What a nice way to tell a former player that he sucks to the media. :glare:

Nice job Eaves! I'm sure you're winning over future recruits already. :ohmy:

No doubt.

Seriously, he transfers to UW from SLU, where, had he stayed, he'd still be getting regular game time.... for what?

Now he hangs up his skates. Can't understand that really. Why not just transfer somewhere within the UW system and play DIII hockey? Or transfer again to somewhere like NMU, MTU, or perhaps another Michigan school would be interested?

Oh well. Just a tragic circumstance for a mess.

No doubt.

Seriously, he transfers to UW from SLU, where, had he stayed, he'd still be getting regular game time.... for what?

Now he hangs up his skates. Can't understand that really. Why not just transfer somewhere within the UW system and play DIII hockey? Or transfer again to somewhere like NMU, MTU, or perhaps another Michigan school would be interested?

Oh well. Just a tragic circumstance for a mess.

side note, that player cut is one of brad millers best friends. there is a pic of those two back in georgia at their yough rink from when they played against each other while miller was with und and he was with st lawrence. brads dad runs that rink where its hanging

HF canadiens draft review

Michael Cichy, C -- Indiana (USHL)

7th round, 199th overall

Ht: 5'11, Wt: 187, DOB: July 8, 1990

With 34 goals and 43 assists in 56 games last season, Cichy showed he could put the puck in the net. His superlative play went noticed by many, including the Habs' brass.

"He's won almost every award possible in the USHL," Timmins said. "He was the playoffs' leading scorer and he's going to North Dakota, which is a good development school. In fact, he's going to be Danny Kristo's roommate."

Weight may have been a factor in him getting overlooked, but Timmins added that there was no way that the club could overlook his innate ability to play the game.

"He was a little light before gaining 30 pounds over the past two years," he said. "His skating's not perfect, but that's something he can develop -- especially with the hockey sense he has."

Michael Cichy, ----snip-----"He was the playoffs' leading scorer and he's going to North Dakota, which is a good development school. In fact, he's going to be Danny Kristo's roommate."

I am really excited about Cichy and Kristo coming to UND. I think they can make an immediate impact to the Fighting Sioux.

HF canadiens draft review

Michael Cichy, C -- Indiana (USHL)

7th round, 199th overall

Ht: 5'11, Wt: 187, DOB: July 8, 1990

With 34 goals and 43 assists in 56 games last season, Cichy showed he could put the puck in the net. His superlative play went noticed by many, including the Habs' brass.

"He's won almost every award possible in the USHL," Timmins said. "He was the playoffs' leading scorer and he's going to North Dakota, which is a good development school. In fact, he's going to be Danny Kristo's roommate."

Weight may have been a factor in him getting overlooked, but Timmins added that there was no way that the club could overlook his innate ability to play the game.

"He was a little light before gaining 30 pounds over the past two years," he said. "His skating's not perfect, but that's something he can develop -- especially with the hockey sense he has."

If skating is a bit of a weakness, I hope we fans give him a chance to acclimate to the game and improve his skill in that area before we expect him to be the next Hrkac. You have to be able to skate to a certain extent at the D1 level to be effective. I'm not saying he's not there, nor am I saying he can't be there. I just don't want to get to Christmas and read half the posters on this forum ripping the guy for not producing.

^I'm going to go on the record here that Mr. Cichy, while talented, is NOT the second coming.

" ... and many false prophets will follow." -- Hrkac: 46-70-116

" ... and I was given a great gift and showed others a shining light." -- Joyce: 52-37-89

^I'm going to go on the record here that Mr. Cichy, while talented, is NOT the second coming.

He might not be the second coming but I do think he is a big time player and will make an immediate impact.

maybe not and 99% of players arent but he will be a hell of a player for the sioux. he and kristo will be special. i say look out for kristo to be a big time scorer in the wcha for a few years but both have nice freshman years notching 25-35 pointsd each. book it :glare:

i love the fact that cichy and kristo have had very good success with team usa and in te ushl. thats a great sign heading into the wcha and the grind that it is

maybe not and 99% of players arent but he will be a hell of a player for the sioux. he and kristo will be special. i say look out for kristo to be a big time scorer in the wcha for a few years but both have nice freshman years notching 25-35 pointsd each. book it :glare:

i love the fact that cichy and kristo have had very good success with team usa and in te ushl. thats a great sign heading into the wcha and the grind that it is

I am thinking we are going to be hearing a lot of Cichy Kristo and Kristo Cichy this fall and winter.

If skating is a bit of a weakness, I hope we fans give him a chance to acclimate to the game and improve his skill in that area before we expect him to be the next Hrkac. You have to be able to skate to a certain extent at the D1 level to be effective. I'm not saying he's not there, nor am I saying he can't be there. I just don't want to get to Christmas and read half the posters on this forum ripping the guy for not producing.

Comon dagies... you know we need to rail on players for SOMETHING!

But yeah, I hope so too.

I'm pretty sure Cichy won't be the fastest player on his line even. :glare:

The guy before with the can't skate label was Brandon Bochenski....17 goals & 21 assists for 38 points as a freshman.

Jonathan Toews, who had all the tools, had a 22 & 17 line for 39 points as a freshman and he was one of the most celebrated freshmen we've ever had.

So if Cichy accumulates anything less than 17 & 21 for 38 points this winter, will that make him a failure? :glare:

The guy before with the can't skate label was Brandon Bochenski....17 goals & 21 assists for 38 points as a freshman.

Jonathan Toews, who had all the tools, had a 22 & 17 line for 39 points as a freshman and he was one of the most celebrated freshmen we've ever had.

So if Cichy accumulates anything less than 17 & 21 for 38 points this winter, will that make him a failure? :glare:

I think Cichy will be a very good college hockey player, but what hurts his status as an NHLer is his size and speed. It's like the Josh Birkholz comparison earlier. Birkholz didn't have as good of a year as Cichy did in the USHL, but Birkholz has the natural build to be an NHL type player, and as a result he was drafted higher. The point is is that the NHL is looking for a certain type of player and just because you're a good college player doesn't mean you fit the NHL prototype.

" ... and many false prophets will follow." -- Hrkac: 46-70-116

" ... and I was given a great gift and showed others a shining light." -- Joyce: 52-37-89

"...And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Archibald, and hell followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth (mostly Minnesota), to kill with stick, and with punch, and with crushing checks, the wild gofers of the earth."

Archie 1984-85: 41-37-24-61-197

"...And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Archibald, and hell followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth (mostly Minnesota), to kill with stick, and with punch, and with crushing checks, the wild gofers of the earth."

Archie 1984-85: 41-37-24-61-197

I read mine and find:

" ... and the deeds of infamy became legend." -- Archibald: 247-540

" ... verily the season of glory is too soon forgotten." -- Archibald: 37-24-61

I read mine and find:

" ... and the deeds of infamy became legend." -- Archibald: 247-540

" ... verily the season of glory is too soon forgotten." -- Archibald: 37-24-61

yes...I believe we are reading from the same book... :glare:

I almost forgot this one...