SiouxSports.com Forum

Ryan Duncan signs contract

82SiouxGuy

good for him. this is where i thought he may end up somewhere overseas for now. jordan parise played there last year. maybe he will as well this season and that will be nice for those 2

kinda makes that hobey baker a little less significant now, doesn't it?

What does his pro career have to do with winning a Hobey Baker?

It certainly doesn't make his curb stomping he's done on the Gophers the last few years any less significant, that's for sure.

Let's be honest here, this doesn't diminish Duncan's Hobey in any way. In fact, it is rather common for the Hobey Baker award winner to not necessarily be a hot NHL prospect. It is almost like the Heisman Award in that sense. It is meant to be the best college player, not the best pro prospect.

I think Duncan was realistic about his chances of playing in the NHL, at least short term. That probably played a big role in his staying all 4 years. I wish the Sioux could land more players like him that have really good skill levels, but not necessarily the "jump after 1 or 2 years" skill levels.

Let's be honest here, this doesn't diminish Duncan's Hobey in any way. In fact, it is rather common for the Hobey Baker award winner to not necessarily be a hot NHL prospect. It is almost like the Heisman Award in that sense. It is meant to be the best college player, not the best pro prospect.

I think Duncan was realistic about his chances of playing in the NHL, at least short term. That probably played a big role in his staying all 4 years. I wish the Sioux could land more players like him that have really good skill levels, but not necessarily the "jump after 1 or 2 years" skill levels.

I've kind of talked to him about this, and I get the impression from Dunc that he just wants to keep playing hockey as long as he can. I don't think it really matters to him where he plays. Everyone wants to play in the NHL, and Ryan is no different, but I'm sure he's okay with just being able to keep playing. The love of the game...

What does his pro career have to do with winning a Hobey Baker?

It certainly doesn't make his curb stomping he's done on the Gophers the last few years any less significant, that's for sure.

You got that right. :D

absolutley it does. However at least he was in the NHL. Not europe.

to me its a shame that oshie never won the hobey. IMO he, or toewes deserved it before Duncan did.

Duncan's hockey career is NOT over yet...Bonin's is.

to me its a shame that oshie never won the hobey. IMO he, or toewes deserved it before Duncan did.

and duncan would be the first person out there like he did in his hobey speech saying he was the 3rd best player on his line. he understands it as many others do but he put up the numbers and he won the hobey. duncan playing overseas has nothing to do with a damn hobey baker. nothing at all. come on with that. its a college award and duncan played great that season and was in the right situation and won the hobey baker. so its all about the nhl? hell bonin barley played in the nhl and had 2 seasons overseas :lol:

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=470

so do these players hobey mean less as well since they havent play 12 games in the nhl yet or a full time nhl fixture? in your opinion it may be so and thats cool as i respect that but by saying duncan benefited from toews and oshie isnt really earth breaking news :D

sertich was the 2005 hobey and has played 3 years in AHL after being undrafted

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=67727

junior lessard has played 27 games in nhl after 2004 hobey

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=54881

sejna from cc has played 49 nhl games before jumping back overseas to have a career making a hell of a lot more money after his 2003 hobey

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=54063

wow doing this research just shows how bad ass the wcha is as a whole regarding the hobey since 2002 :)

i guess bottom line my point is IMO playing in the nhl right away has nothing to do with winning a college hockey award and the top award at that as not all have and wont. we dont know what duncan will do in his career and i dont think he ever will play in the nhl but in the end he has a hobey and thats pretty damn sweet

Bonin finished at UMTC the Spring of 1996. He played 5 games for Pittsburgh in 98-99 and 7 games for Minnesota in 00-01. He didn't exactly go straight to the NHL. So it might be a little early to say that Duncan will never play a game in the NHL.

As far as whether one of his teammates deserved the award more or not, every year people disagree about who should win awards. Duncan got the majority of the votes from the people that choose the award. So he was given the Hobey Baker. That's the way it goes. Get over it, I'm pretty sure that Oshie and Toews have.

Don't forget that the Hobey isn't only about who put up the best statistics, or who is the best hockey player, but it takes into account character as well. Duncan was as good a representative of the Hobey in that category that the committee could ever ask for. Oshie and Toews were outstanding but Duncan was there when they were injured/slumping. He may not have had their upside but as a consistent force on that line he was there. And as good a player as he developed into in all facets of the game by his senior year he has nothing to apologize for.

Don't forget that the Hobey isn't only about who put up the best statistics, or who is the best hockey player, but it takes into account character as well. Duncan was as good a representative of the Hobey in that category that the committee could ever ask for. Oshie and Toews were outstanding but Duncan was there when they were injured/slumping. He may not have had their upside but as a consistent force on that line he was there. And as good a player as he developed into in all facets of the game by his senior year he has nothing to apologize for.

Yep, I was going to make the same point. Early in the year when the guys were banged up and Toews was playing in the WJC, Duncs was still there lighting it up. He never missed a game, never complained, never took any credit. Just lit the lamp and did his job. There's no question Toews and Oshie had a huge influence on Duncan's success, but Duncan still had to put the puck in when he got the oppurtunities, and he did just that.

I would take another Duncan over anyone else I've seen in college hockey that I've seen, including Toews or Oshie, and that's no knock on them.