SiouxSports.com Forum

The Next Step

GeauxSioux

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard on KFGO that the ND Board of Higher Education has voted today to DROP the Fighting Sioux nickname. More to come...

The vote was 8-0. Has to begin Oct 1, 2009 and must be done by Oct 1, 2010. The only way it can be kept is if the 2 reservations agree to a 30 contract to allow UND to use the name.

Just heard on KFGO that the ND Board of Higher Education has voted today to DROP the Fighting Sioux nickname. More to come...

Before we go too far off the deep end....

The retirement takes effect
except in the event that stipulations in the original agreement with the NCAA to retain the nickname are met by both the Spirit Lake and Standing Rock Sioux tribes
to approve the nickname.

And it's as of October 1 of
this year
. Moves the NCAA deadline up. The BOT was unanimous.

I don't know why they didn't let the process play out to the NCAA limit. Why negotiate for that limit, and then ignore it?

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/articles/...mp;section=News

edit: I didn't see anything about a length of contract, nor any tribal response. And to those who said the BOT was going as far away as possible to make an unpopular decision: I was wrong, you were right.

UND isn't going to be filling the Betty with the likes of Oakland, Oral Roberts, Southern Utah, Western Illinois, Centenary, IPFW...

I also don't see any need to hurry and make a rash decision before the Standing Rock Tribe votes, at least let them play out the process. Does anyone thing the Summit leave UND in the dust, don't see it happening.

Do you see another former NCC member without an autobid conference? UNC-Big Sky; NDSU/SDSU/USD-Summit. Just because you don't see the dust doesn't mean it isn't there. UND fans are now in the position of hoping the Summit doesn't add someone else. It sucks. And don't think the coaches aren't hearing it on the recruiting trail either. Things are difficult enough in the transition without having all your competition with autobid conference homes.

Here's the latest from the Herald.

Grant Shaft, a board member who heads a fact-finding committee on the issue, recommended Aug. 1. He said the earlier the university applies to enter the Summit League athletic conference the better because the league has one more slot open and is looking at six other universities.

Based on the results from the vote at Spirit Lake, ...

The ND SBoHE just really, really, really jammed up the tribal councils, do they:

- Follow the voters, or

- Do their own thing (and maybe face voter wrath at the ballot box later)

Hilarious.

When you have power (like the ND SBoHE) and have to make a decision where someone, no matter what, will hate you for it, what do you do?

Hire a consultant: Ron His Horse is Thunder ... you're hired! :silly:

Grant Shaft, a board member who heads a fact-finding committee on the issue, recommended Aug. 1. He said the earlier the university applies to enter the Summit League athletic conference the better because the league has one more slot open and is looking at six other universities.

I agree with those who said you're selling your traditions very cheaply.

BTW, did he name the six schools?

I agree with those who said you're selling your traditions very cheaply.

BTW, did he name the six schools?

Yeah I would like to see that list as well. Sounds like NC$$ used the Summit League to Bully UND into changing their name.

Sounds like NC$$ used the Summit League to Bully UND into changing their name.

That's
the part I don't get. You had a few years to get the tribal approvals, you had started down that road: why now? Just for a league? IMHO, that's silly.
:D

But, that's for your BOT to decide, and ultimately answer for.

edit: the headlines on google news say that your BOT was "listening to arguments" as of an hour ago, and voted 8-0 31 minutes ago. I guess those twenty-nine minutes convinced all of them. :silly: Certainly the "listening to the arguments" statement wasn't a sham, was it?

While I'm pleased that the door is now open for UND to gain membership into an autobid conference, I have to say that the manner in which the Board of Higher Ed. has chosen to handle this issue over the past several months has been quite poor. The "committee" chaired by Grant Shaft was a complete sham. And the fact that the decision was made in Dickinson, with little indication that such a major decision was forthcoming, was fairly gutless IMO.

You'd better know what you're getting in return when you're giving something valuable away.

From the GF Herald:

Shaft said he is unclear if a few months will make a difference as far as the Summit League's application is concerned. He also said there is no guarantee UND will get picked by the league.

Cool, nothin' for the name maybe. :silly:

Cool, nothin' for the name maybe. :silly:

Just one more thought and then I'll go away for a while: a 30 year contract demand??? Before you had even
talked
with anyone from the tribes??
:D

I'm sorry. If I was one of the people on that reservation who had gathered signatures on a petition and stuck my neck out to get a vote, I'd really feel betrayed right now.