SiouxSports.com Forum

Get to Lubbock

Big10Sioux

Just booked my ticket out of Minneapolis to Lubbock for $281 with a stop in Memphis. Much more reasonable than I was expecting to get to West Texas. Book early and save, it should be a great time. I am already looking forward to it and have talked to a number of others who are considering going. These old legs will be the first to charge the field when we shock the Big 12.

Just thought I'd throw it out there...I got the inside scoop from a very reliable source about something I had hoped for ever since the Texas Tech game was on the schedule. The UND Pride of the North Marching Band will be making the trip to Lubbock as well. The President was behind the idea the whole way and is making it happen. Sounds like the band will be traveling to one of the "big" games each year. So look for them not only in Lubbock, but also at Fresno State in 2011 and San Diego State in 2012. I'm not sure which game they would head to in 2010 (I'm assuming it would be Idaho) but be on the look out. Being I'm a Pride of the North alum (5 years), this is a great thing for the band, the team, and the fans. It should also help out the recruiting side of things as well. Hopefully the band can grow and reach the size we've always hoped for...150+. We'll see what happens.

Just thought I'd throw it out there...I got the inside scoop from a very reliable source about something I had hoped for ever since the Texas Tech game was on the schedule. The UND Pride of the North Marching Band will be making the trip to Lubbock as well. The President was behind the idea the whole way and is making it happen. Sounds like the band will be traveling to one of the "big" games each year. So look for them not only in Lubbock, but also at Fresno State in 2011 and San Diego State in 2012. I'm not sure which game they would head to in 2010 (I'm assuming it would be Idaho) but be on the look out. Being I'm a Pride of the North alum (5 years), this is a great thing for the band, the team, and the fans. It should also help out the recruiting side of things as well. Hopefully the band can grow and reach the size we've always hoped for...150+. We'll see what happens.

Any idea how they're funding the band expansion and transportation? San Diego State and Fresno State would almost certainly require a charter plane - same day and back (?).

I haven't heard the details concerning transportation yet (whether they fly or bus). Maybe it was brought up, but the conversation I was involved with happened a while ago. But as far as the funding for travel in general, the band received a large increase in their budget. They are working on getting members some money as well, in a scholarship form of course. That is happening through an endowment fund, which has been in the works for quite some time. At NDSU, they started awarding scholarships and their band grew almost double in size. And I'm pretty sure that was from one year to the next. I was kind of surprised when I heard about the budget increase, but if we are going to be a Division 1 school, in my opinion, we better have a Division 1 marching band as well. I'm excited to see what happens.

Myself and a few others are tentatively planning on heading to Lubbock for this game. Does anyone know when tix go on sale? Does UND have an allotment on tix and if so, how does one go about getting them?

Believe it or not, as a visiting team, we are allotted only 300. I think that is the standard D-1 allotment. The real problem here is that unlike the Bison vs. Gophers type games whereby thousands of Gopher fans had no interest in going to that game and subsequently alllowed for more Bison fans to buy tickets, with Texas Tech, they are rabid fans and sell out each game regardless of the opponent. I am hoping there can be some more tickets available but I think it may be "dog eat dog".

I looked on the Tech website and I quote:

"Individual game tickets go on sale August 10th, excluding Texas A&M and Oklahoma tickets which will only be available for purchase through a mini-pack on this date. All seats for North Dakota State, Rice, and New Mexico are $35, Kansas and Kansas State $55, and if available Texas A&M and Oklahoma $95."

http://texastech.cstv.com/tickets/football-tkts.html

Believe it or not, as a visiting team, we are allotted only 300. I think that is the standard D-1 allotment. The real problem here is that unlike the Bison vs. Gophers type games whereby thousands of Gopher fans had no interest in going to that game and subsequently alllowed for more Bison fans to buy tickets, with Texas Tech, they are rabid fans and sell out each game regardless of the opponent. I am hoping there can be some more tickets available but I think it may be "dog eat dog".

Stub Hub is usually a good option for tickets, supply/demand will usually change as it gets closer to game and impact prices either way.

• 2 weeks later...

Texas Tech fan here.

First, thanks to the mods / admin guys for letting me sign up and post. I'm not one to talk trash--at least to people that I don't know. ??? I mainly talk football, and I love X's and O's discussions.

Now, for coming to Lubbock for the game, I plan on posting some more information during the summer. That being said, I would go ahead and try to get a hotel room as they tend to go fast. If you decide not to come, you can always cancel the room. You can call Marriott, Hilton, Holiday Inn, etc. and get a room.

Since the game won't be on TV, kickoff will be at 6:00 PM. Not bad for West Texas. It will be hot during the day, but with our arid climate, it will cool down quickly. Highs on Labor Day weekend are usually 90 degrees, but in the evenings it should be around 80 - 85---and no humidity.

We are expanding our stadium ($65Million) so the East Lot, where the best tailgating usually happens, is being moved. Where.....don't know yet. Regardless, Tech has the best tailgates. The general rule is you can just walk up, get a beer, and eat steak, fajitas, peppers, brats, dogs, or ribs. And, if you are single (or even if you are not), you will definately see plently of "eye candy".

I look foward posting here and learning about your team, and answer any questions that you guys may have about Tech and Lubbock.

Texas Tech fan here.

First, thanks to the mods / admin guys for letting me sign up and post. I'm not one to talk trash--at least to people that I don't know. ??? I mainly talk football, and I love X's and O's discussions.

Now, for coming to Lubbock for the game, I plan on posting some more information during the summer. That being said, I would go ahead and try to get a hotel room as they tend to go fast. If you decide not to come, you can always cancel the room. You can call Marriott, Hilton, Holiday Inn, etc. and get a room.

Since the game won't be on TV, kickoff will be at 6:00 PM. Not bad for West Texas. It will be hot during the day, but with our arid climate, it will cool down quickly. Highs on Labor Day weekend are usually 90 degrees, but in the evenings it should be around 80 - 85---and no humidity.

We are expanding our stadium ($65Million) so the East Lot, where the best tailgating usually happens, is being moved. Where.....don't know yet. Regardless, Tech has the best tailgates. The general rule is you can just walk up, get a beer, and eat steak, fajitas, peppers, brats, dogs, or ribs. And, if you are single (or even if you are not), you will definately see plently of "eye candy".

I look foward posting here and learning about your team, and answer any questions that you guys may have about Tech and Lubbock.

How many starters do you guys return on your defense? Who is looking to be the replacement qb for Harrel? Any chance that guy could sit out that weekend? :)

How many starters do you guys return on your defense? Who is looking to be the replacement qb for Harrel? Any chance that guy could sit out that weekend? ???

Tech's new QB will be Taylor Potts. He's 6'5" / 215 - 220lbs (+), and has a strong arm. He needs to work on his touch, but he has some zip on the ball. Big, very physical QB.

Offensively, we lose Harrell, Crabtree, Eric Morris(#12) , Shannon Woods(#2), and 3 OL.

Defensively, we lose 4 starters--3 DB's and 1 DT.

I know you can search YOUTUBE to see some Tech videos, but below is the link for the Oklahoma State game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMCo1FI7NK8

EDIT: Trying to figure out how to post a youtube link.

• 2 weeks later...
As tough as they were on UND@TT at #9, check out #8 on that list ...

Ouch.

At least we're getting a $300,000+ for taking a pure payday game - who wouldn't expect TT to win...but who knows? UND has a chance with NO EXPECTATIONS of winning...sounds a lot like the pipe those ndsu-"WE'RE D-ONE and IMPORTANT NOW!" were smoking from! :D

Since most of us won't be going to Lubbock does anyone know if it will be televised??

I would be shocked if the game was on TV. The Big 12 is a FUBAR TV deal, which also includes Internet Broadcasts. IF--IF another Big 12 Home OOC game is on TV at the time that of the Tech / UND game, then NO Internet Broadcast will be available. At least, that's the way it has been the past years.

BTW--without TV Coverage, expect KO to be at 6:00PM. Again, that's they way it has been for several years now.

Does anyone know how to get tickets for the Game as a UND Fan?

BobIwabuchiFan

Below is from the Texas Tech website:

Individual Tickets | Buy Tickets Online

Individual game tickets go on sale August 10th, excluding Texas A&M and Oklahoma tickets which will only be available for purchase through a mini-pack on this date. All seats for North Dakota, Rice, and New Mexico are $35, Kansas and Kansas State $55, and if available Texas A&M and Oklahoma $95

By the way, I was at a fundraiser last night, and they auctioned off 2 Tech / UND tickets--they went for $115.00. If you are interested, you should try to get the tickets on August 10th or soon thereafter. The "visiting" section will be in the Northeast Corner of "The Jones". If you buy individual tickets, then you will more than likely be mixed in with Tech fans.

You can order tickets through the Texas Tech Ticket Office by calling (806) 742-TECH.

• 4 weeks later...

UND fans going to Lubbock for the Texas Tech game should check out the Double-T Nation blog where they are running a "Best of Lubbock" series for visiting fans. The latest article covers "Best Nightlife" and can be found at: Double-T Best Nightlife (www.doubletnation.com). Previous BOL articles cover different kinds of restaurants and other items that may be of interest to visitors. Ya'll should make the trip and not worry about the likely outcome of the game. I've attended many games in Austin and Norman knowing that Tech would probably lose (sometimes badly). but I don't regret going to any of them. If you are on the fence, it may interest you to know that SI, Playboy, the ABC College Gameday crew (horndogs every one), and anyone who has ever spent time in Lubbock will tell you that Tech is neck-and-neck with USC and Ole Miss for having the best looking coeds in the country. (That's why I chose Tech over UT and A&M.) Anyway, I hope a good UND crowd shows up to support the team and band.

On a side note, I think UND's "Fighting Sioux" nickname and logo are awesome. Among the best of any university in the nation. It will be a real shame if UND is forced to abandon them. For what it's worth, I hereby give ya'll permission to call yourselves the UND "Fighting Scots-Irish!" I promise it won't offend me in the least.

watch out for the dry counties out there!

SoonersNSioux?!? I swear, you land thieves turn up under every rock. :D SNS was correct about the city being dry (except for bars and restaurants) on the date of his post, but the great and God fearing citizens of Lubbock recently voted to make the city wet. By game day the lawsuits will be long over and packaged libations should be available throughout the city. :D Wreck 'em!!