SiouxSports.com Forum

Good Luck Joe!

AZSIOUX

Good Luck on your new team Joe. It was fun getting to know you at a couple thanksgiving dinners over the last few years. We all wish you the best. Thanks for everything.

Joe - Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you. I'm going to miss you - you're the greatest - thanks for all the fun memories and for the time you spent with kids - they LOVED you!! Dyana....

Work your way up and earn your spot in the big leagues, Joe. It would be fun to finally see a Sioux out there for the Caps.

Yeah good point then I can watch him play when the Bruins beat the Caps. :):D

Good luck Joe. Thank you for sharing your hockey skills with us for the past four years. It should be good to get into a league where you don't automatically get a penalty because your elbows happen to be at the elevation of some of the other players helmets.

The University of North Dakota and the Fighting Sioux Hockey Program has seen a lot of great hockey players and class acts go through the system.....and they don't come any better than Big Joe. It's really unfortunate for him, and for all of us Sioux fans, that we didn't get to see him at his best this year. First he had the concussion that kept him out the whole first half, and then the separated shoulder that certainly must have bothered him for a good portion of the second half. A lot of players coming out of Edina have the term "cake-eater" attached to them. Big Joe is not one of those. Even this year with the unfortunate injuries, he gave it everything he had, and despite the injuries the coaches had him out there in the critical situations.

I'm sure he could have signed the same contract a year ago, but like many other Sioux greats he wanted to come back for another year. One of the things that makes Fighting Sioux Hockey so special are the young men that the coaches recruit to UND. Year after year we hear about players at other programs wanting to get out and even leaving at mid-year. We also hear them ripping the coach and/or program when they leave. When's the last time we've heard one of our #1 draft picks, or any player, say anything negative about the Fighting Sioux program? It's guys like Joe Finley that keep Fighting Sioux Hockey the best in the country. I don't think there's another program that's even in the same ballpark. Thank you Joe Finley for helping to keep it that way during your four years.

Big Joe and his teammates went to the Frozen Four his first three years. Then, this year, they won the the WCHA regular season championship and hung another banner in the REA rafters. Since they didn't get to the Frozen Four and win a NC this year, we tend to look at it as a disappointing year. This was a dream year for most programs....but not at UND. I'd much rather have it that way than to just be satisfied with getting home ice and then maybe a NCAA invite. The expectations for Sioux Hockey are very high. The guys who play at UND have to have tremendous skills, a big heart and great character. Joe's been leading the way for the last 4 years and every Sioux fan shoud be very happy that the coaches won the recruiting battle for him and that he chose UND. He'll be missed.

The University of North Dakota and the Fighting Sioux Hockey Program has seen a lot of great hockey players and class acts go through the system.....and they don't come any better than Big Joe. It's really unfortunate for him, and for all of us Sioux fans, that we didn't get to see him at his best this year. First he had the concussion that kept him out the whole first half, and then the separated shoulder that certainly must have bothered him for a good portion of the second half. A lot of players coming out of Edina have the term "cake-eater" attached to them. Big Joe is not one of those. Even this year with the unfortunate injuries, he gave it everything he had, and despite the injuries the coaches had him out there in the critical situations.

I'm sure he could have signed the same contract a year ago, but like many other Sioux greats he wanted to come back for another year. One of the things that makes Fighting Sioux Hockey so special are the young men that the coaches recruit to UND. Year after year we hear about players at other programs wanting to get out and even leaving at mid-year. We also hear them ripping the coach and/or program when they leave. When's the last time we've heard one of our #1 draft picks, or any player, say anything negative about the Fighting Sioux program? It's guys like Joe Finley that keep Fighting Sioux Hockey the best in the country. I don't think there's another program that's even in the same ballpark. Thank you Joe Finley for helping to keep it that way during your four years.

Big Joe and his teammates went to the Frozen Four his first three years. Then, this year, they won the the WCHA regular season championship and hung another banner in the REA rafters. Since they didn't get to the Frozen Four and win a NC this year, we tend to look at it as a disappointing year. This was a dream year for most programs....but not at UND. I'd much rather have it that way than to just be satisfied with getting home ice and then maybe a NCAA invite. The expectations for Sioux Hockey are very high. The guys who play at UND have to have tremendous skills, a big heart and great character. Joe's been leading the way for the last 4 years and every Sioux fan shoud be very happy that the coaches won the recruiting battle for him and that he chose UND. He'll be missed.

That was a really a nice piece, you should see some of the vile comments some of the finley haters wrote on my blog after the Sioux lost to UNH. I think some forget that Hockey is a team game and loses are a result of all the team mates making mistakes and not just one.

That was a really a nice piece, you should see some of the vile comments some of the finley haters wrote on my blog after the Sioux lost to UNH. I think some forget that Hockey is a team game and loses are a result of all the team mates making mistakes and not just one.

You should see the Facebook group.

:):D

That pissed me off. It is so disrespectful.

I have a rule if you can't say something to their face why post in on message board or blog?

You can give constructive criticism but some of this stuff is down right hateful and mean.

So is Joe Gleason gonna be termed a "cake eater"?? He went to Edina.

I don't get the whole cake eater thing. What makes one a person that eats cake.

"Cake eater" is a derisive term applied by blue collar kids to the privileged upper middle class. I haven't seen a definite origin, but some people go back to the story of Marie Antoinette saying, "Let them eat cake". It is used in a lot of different places. In the Twin Cities, Edina kids have been called cake eaters for a long time because that has been known as the "rich" suburb for quite a while. And that would probably make Joe Gleason a cake eater too.

"Cake eater" is a derisive term applied by blue collar kids to the privileged upper middle class. I haven't seen a definite origin, but some people go back to the story of Marie Antoinette saying, "Let them eat cake". It is used in a lot of different places. In the Twin Cities, Edina kids have been called cake eaters for a long time because that has been known as the "rich" suburb for quite a while. And that would probably make Joe Gleason a cake eater too.

IMO it probably was more aptly used for Edina 20-30 years ago. Now, I'd say that is more deserved in some of the west and south-west suburbs.

Out of curiousity, what players from other programs ripped their coach and program when they left and what did they say?