SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Hockey 09/10

brianvf

I think that you have to split up freshman early in the season. You have to give the guys a little time to adjust to the speed of the WCHA without having the whole world's responsibility on their shoulders. That is the main reason for my line combos.

So:

I like splitting up Cichy and Kristo to help them adjust.

I like having one power forward on each of the first two scoring lines in Malone and VV.

I liked the way Malone and VV played together last year in the NCAAs too.

I like Frattin and Kristo together, because along with Marto and Genoway I think they are the fastest skaters on next year's squad.

I like Gregoire and Cichy, because they had very similar numbers in junior, indicating to me that they both can finish as well as set-up goals.

I like Hextall and Zajac on the checking line, because they can be both sweet and nasty. Neither is afraid to get their hands dirty, and Hexy proved he could score. I think Zajac can score too if playing with the right boys.

I think that we are also truly limited by our centermen. The experienced pivots on the team are VV, Malone, Zajac, Lammy and Toews (a little). Zajac and Lammy are not preferred scoring line players.

I think we'll see a lot of flopping among the three scoring lines. I predict we have a pretty consistent checking line in terms of personnel.

Seriously, you're thinking way to far ahead. The coaches don't even know what the line combinations are going to be until the Friday before the exhibition game and then they usually change them next week anyway. I don't think talking about line combinations in April is to big of a deal especially when we don't know even have a full roster yet.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, you're thinking way to far ahead. The coaches don't even know what the line combinations are going to be until the Friday before the exhibition game and then they usually change them next week anyway. I don't think talking about line combinations in April is to big of a deal especially when we don't know even have a full roster yet.

Yeah good point a lot of stuff can happen between now and september.

yep vv hasn't even officially said he's coming back yet. all we have is a bunch of hearsay that says he is. until it comes directly from him I wouldn't put too much into it.

exactly, it's April, so all we can do is speculate and pontificate. Agree with the analysis on Center for the most part. In a cycle type offense like we run, the center and wingers are often interchangeable in the offensive zone; this isn't necessarily true in other offenses. It is also a switch in play over the last fifteen or so years, with close puck support etc. In the old days wingers weren't supposed to play deep on the weakside or go past the far side of the net on their off wing. In the defensive zone the center has way more responsibility as stated. A winger can get away with a little cheating and less than perfect positional play, a center has no such luxury.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/117121

Thanks Taylor!

VandeVelde said he talked with former Sioux teammate Taylor Chorney, who gave up his final year of eligibility after the 2007-08 season to sign with the Edmonton Oilers, the same team that drafted VandeVelde in the fourth round in 2005.

Chorney played nearly all of his rookie season in the American Hockey League.

The Moral to the story is stay in school unless you are a first round draft choice. Or at least that is what I have taken from some of these guys

that have left school early. Thank God for the new CBA IMHO.

I think the new CBA hurt initially but now it's gonna start to even things out, obviously the top players will go...Toews, Osh the guys who step onto the roster right away like you're saying goon and now that a high pick like Chorney had to dwell in the minors and provide some insight I think most things will turn back to normal as far as early departures. That guy for Mankato though what a mistake he made leaving early.

I think the new CBA hurt initially but now it's gonna start to even things out, obviously the top players will go...Toews, Osh the guys who step onto the roster right away like you're saying goon and now that a high pick like Chorney had to dwell in the minors and provide some insight I think most things will turn back to normal as far as early departures. That guy for Mankato though what a mistake he made leaving early.

I think you're right.

I've said it all along that an extra year of college is better than a year in the AHL. Very few players that leave early step into the big club right away. The only ones that do are the blue chip prospects like you mentionaed.