SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Hockey 09/10

brianvf

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be great if he stays but if he goes i will be very happy for him!

I will be happy for him too....just would not care to take those long bus rides for a few years. Why not play your senior year when you are at what will probably be the peak of your hockey career?

• 2 weeks later...
So, now that we know that it is 99% likely that VV will be back, we certainly have a lot of players...it is going to be tough to earn ice time.

just depends on which forwards come in and which play juniors. im guessing hak only wants 2 extra forwards instead of 3 but may have to bring in a extra forward to make 3 depending on the player and where he is drafted ect.....we know cichy, kristo and bruneteau are in for sure.....knight a high possibility and mattson and rowney as wild cards and who knows on forney. we lose 5 forwards in duncan, watkins, kozek, miller (counts as forward) and martens. if he just brings in in 4 and not 5 to have the 2 extra forwards..who knows..if thats the case then i have no idea and will guess knight but either way we should know soon

If VV is back, I doubt Rowney and Knight come. And I hope mattson doesn't come in.

And, instead, I hope they try to get Forney back.

I'm no coach, but I'd rather have some great players taking an extra year in juniors than have what UW is having right now.

And, btw, now 1-2 of those players who left BGSU are trying to get into UW.

(GOD I don't like where this BGSU thing is going).

If VV is back, I doubt Rowney and Knight come. And I hope mattson doesn't come in.

And, instead, I hope they try to get Forney back.

I'm no coach, but I'd rather have some great players taking an extra year in juniors than have what UW is having right now.

And, btw, now 1-2 of those players who left BGSU are trying to get into UW.

(GOD I don't like where this BGSU thing is going).

I was under the impresson that Forney coming back was a slamb dunk but I guess it isn't.

Nothing's a slam dunk.

I don't know what Forney is going to do. He can go anywhere now that he's taken a year outside of UND, but he'll come back a junior and I'm not sure which teams would take him... SCSU has done it in the past IIRC (I think they took former tUMD Coole when he only had 2 years eligibility left... or maybe one? I don't recall).

Otherwise, he could go to Quinnipiac or Bentley as they take castoffs all the time... but that's tantamount to the admission that Forney is a bust.

Nothing's a slam dunk.

I don't know what Forney is going to do. He can go anywhere now that he's taken a year outside of UND, but he'll come back a junior and I'm not sure which teams would take him... SCSU has done it in the past IIRC (I think they took former tUMD Coole when he only had 2 years eligibility left... or maybe one? I don't recall).

Otherwise, he could go to Quinnipiac or Bentley as they take castoffs all the time... but that's tantamount to the admission that Forney is a bust.

Only at UND. Anywhere else, as I understand it, he'd have one year. If he plays college hockey next year, it will be at UND.

I don't know if I give ice time to a guaranteed two year player who is an unknown commodity at the WCHA level. It is a strange situation with Forney. I would play it basically as a tryout agreement. Forney makes top six forward on the team out of camp or adi

Only at UND. Anywhere else, as I understand it, he'd have one year. If he plays college hockey next year, it will be at UND.

Agreed I believe he would have to sit out another year to transfer to another school but could come to UND next year ala Quinn Fylling when he played a year in the USHL and came back to UND.

Forney has two years of eligibilty remaining if he plays at UND.

Only one year if he goes elsewhere.

Unless he looks like the combination of Parise, Blake, Oshie and Toews with a pinch of Panzer speed, he is a waste of a roster spot.

Wow, that's hoping for alot. :D

I don't think Forney would be a waste of a roster spot if he ended up on the 3rd/4th line. Heck, he could take Kozek's spot on the 4th line and add some offensive balance. ;)

I don't think Forney would be a waste of a roster spot if he ended up on the 3rd/4th line. Heck, he could take Kozek's spot on the 4th line and add some offensive balance. ;)

Agreed Forney should be in the mix next year...

In just saying that if two guys are competing for the same spot and the competition is pretty close, I go with the guy who has more eligibility and therefore can potentially develop and give me some ROI on his icetime this year.

Clearly VV, Malone, Frattin, Gregoire, Hextall, and Trupp are getting ice time. I would suspect Toews and Lammy to be on the short list too. Cichy and Kristo will get ice. Davidson and Bruneteau will compete for checking or fourth line ice.

I would guess that depending on draft status a kid from Holy Angels and a kid from Alberta might need dorm rooms too.

Of that Angels kid is named Mattson, I can't imagine what kind of commute time it iwll be from his dorm room to his junior team every day.

I agree with brianvf. Forney would bring something to this team. I like Davidson, but I'd rather sit him and play Forney.

Do you skate Forney on a checking line? I doubt he'd accept that role. He'd be better off signing an ATA and rolling the dice. I've got nothing against him, but he is an unknown commodity with a max of two years. He has put up good numbers in Green Bay, similar to Cichy and Kristo who both have four years of eligibility.

You have to have a grind em down physical line. Kozek could shoot, which made him a threat on that line last year, but his job was to hit. 4 pretty lines equals maroon and gold and watching the guys in green end your season.

I'm still not sure if Mattson plays junior. He might not want to, and he would certainly be welcome on many campuses with the guarantee of ice time.

If were seriously looking at something like

VV with Gregoire and Cichy

Malone with Frattin and Kristo

Lammy with Hextall and Davidson or Bruneteau

Toews with Trupp and one highly contested spot

I call that player roboforward

Speed of Panzer

Hitting of Oshie

Playmaking of Parise

Positional Play of Toews

Shooting of Bochenski

Penalty Killing of Stafford and Zajac

I call that player roboforward

Speed of Panzer

Hitting of Oshie

Playmaking of Parise

Positional Play of Toews

Shooting of Bochenski

Penalty Killing of Stafford and Zajac

Plus a little bit of "go-for-the-balls" edge of . . . now what was that guy's name . . . .

Do you skate Forney on a checking line? I doubt he'd accept that role. He'd be better off signing an ATA and rolling the dice. I've got nothing against him, but he is an unknown commodity with a max of two years. He has put up good numbers in Green Bay, similar to Cichy and Kristo who both have four years of eligibility.

You have to have a grind em down physical line. Kozek could shoot, which made him a threat on that line last year, but his job was to hit. 4 pretty lines equals maroon and gold and watching the guys in green end your season.

I'm still not sure if Mattson plays junior. He might not want to, and he would certainly be welcome on many campuses with the guarantee of ice time.

[/quot

You bring in guys who can help the team win next year. Toews was only here for two years are you complaining about that?

[You bring in guys who can help the team win next year. Toews was only here for two years are you complaining about that?

Of course not, but Toews was a VERY SPECIAL player and was coming to campus as a 17 year old with four potential years of eligibility. The issue isn't how long they do stay, but how long they can stay. If Forney was just now coming to UND as a freshman, I would certainly welcome him with open arms and expect him to compete for a regular shift. However, if he plays a regular shift next year, and say he takes ice time away from another prospect with four years of eligibility, that hurts that other player's development opportunity, thereby potentially hurting the 2010 or 2011 team.

Jonathan Toews is 15 DAYS older than Michael Forney. Since 2005-2006 Jonathan Toews has scored 40 goals in NCAA hockey and 58 goals in the NHL. Forney has 26 goals in the USHL, 0 goals elsewhere. I don't think you're trying to make the comparison, but I am just stating a huge difference in a two year player.

I contend that college is not the NHL and you do not hang your hat on winning this year, but on constantly fielding a team that has a shot. That requires developing players over time.

You forgot about Zajac....also Lammy is not a third line player.

DAR, I think he'd be a great 3rd liner.

3rd line is the checking line, sure, but Lammy can score. A checking line that can score and still beat up the opposition physically would be an incredible thing to have.

That's why I'd put Lammy on the line with Hextall and Zajac. Lammy can hit and score. Zajac can hit and occasionally score. Hextall can hit, intimidate, instigate, screen, and score.

However, I'm not sure hak will put Hextall on the 3rd line.

thanks for catching that. I totally forgot about Darcy for a minute.

So now competition is even tighter:

Scoring 1: VV with Gregoire and Cichy

Scoring 2: Malone with Frattin and Kristo

Checking: Zajac with Hextall and ?

Scoring 3: Toews with Trupp and ?

Of course we don't know chemistry yet, I think Cichy and Gregoire might click well. I put Frattin and Kristo together for speed. I like Hexy put there mucking it up and improving the scoring punch potential of the checking line. I think Toews and Trupp could be a very creative scoring threat that could be put in a lot of circumstances.

That leaves Lammy, Davidson and Bruneteau looking for checking line duty.

It leaves a big ? As to the plan for the rest of the recruits. Will they be happy to play another year of junior or a first year of junior? And then you do have to consider Forney.

As I've said before, lots of horses in the stable, not a ton of ice time available.

DAR, I think he'd be a great 3rd liner.

3rd line is the checking line, sure, but Lammy can score. A checking line that can score and still beat up the opposition physically would be an incredible thing to have.

That's why I'd put Lammy on the line with Hextall and Zajac. Lammy can hit and score. Zajac can hit and occasionally score. Hextall can hit, intimidate, instigate, screen, and score.

However, I'm not sure hak will put Hextall on the 3rd line.

I agree that Lammy can be an excellent third line player. I don't think he's a lock, but based on ice time last year, I would be surprised if he didn't start off with that spot. I wouldn't be surprised to see Davidson garner a little more ice time. He's been gutting it out in practice, and he hasn't been a liability in games.

Hextall is also a wildcard. I think the guy can play wherever you want him to. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the checking line, but also on the powerplay.

So, if we just for a minute make the following assumptions: VV, Gregoire, Frattin, Malone, Cichy, Kristo, Toews, Trupp, Zajac, Hextall, and Lammy are all skating regular shifts; that leaves one forward spot.

Who gets it? Bruneteau, Forney, Davidson, One of the ALberta Boys, Mattson (everyone seems sure he is going to play a year in the USHL)

If we've learned anything from Hak, he will juggle lines early, and he will move guys in and out of starting lineup.

looking for the post withe next years schedule......

thanks

From Brad's Blog:

Oct. 4 -- MANITOBA (ex)

Oct. 9 -- MERRIMACK

Oct. 10 -- MERRIMACK

Oct. 16 -- MINNESOTA

Oct. 17 -- MINNESOTA

Oct. 23 -- at Anchorage

Oct. 24 -- at Anchorage

Nov. 6 -- at Mich. Tech

Nov. 7 -- at Mich. Tech

Nov. 13 -- ST. CLOUD