SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Hockey 09/10

brianvf

Kidding - no

At this point in their coaching careers, Gino had 2 national titles and Blais 1 with another one coming in his 6th year. We have gone thorugh an incredible run of talent without one. Did we overachieve this year and win a MacNaughten - yes. My point is that we have tried it both ways now - loaded with top end talent and running 4 lines without a star. We still have not found a way to win it all. I don't see a national championship team next year either. I'm frustrated with the drought. Hak knew the expectations coming in. We need to pick it up.

Well I guess we should start the fire hakstol thread again eh? Jim can we unlock that thread? I mean what do you suggest we fire Hakstol and hire who? Jeff Jackson couldn't win a title with the loaded team he had. Niether did Michigan with all of those Blue Chippers. Except for BU which really is an enigma this season all the teams left in the NCAA tourney are really middle of the road teams. All of the favorites went down in one swoop. I expect BU do run through the pack now. Miami and Vermont will end up being debris.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think people are ticked that their choice of a head coach wasn't selected.

I think Blais is to blame.

After all, HE WAS THE ONE WHO ADVISED UND TO HIRE HAKSTOL.

Obviously, can't trust an idiot like Dean Blais. :(

Yeah know Redwing (I am not pointing this at you just building on the thought) I am kind of confused here by some of the posts. I am not happy with yesterdays exit from the NCAA tourney but I have to wonder who the hell are we supposed to hire to coach the Fighting Sioux? While Steve Johnson is a good guy we aren't assured he would have taken UND to the promised land either. I would rather have Hak than some of the other coachs around the league. How is Lucia working out in Minnesota right now? Eaves, I heard a few in the Badger nation are upset with him as well. Jerry York with all of his trips to the NCAA tourney has two at B.C. 2001 and 2008.

Yeah know Redwing (I am not pointing this at you just building on the thought) I am kind of confused here by some of the posts. I am not happy with yesterdays exit from the NCAA tourney but I have to wonder who the hell are we supposed to hire to coach the Fighting Sioux? While Steve Johnson is a good guy we aren't assured he would have taken UND to the promised land either. I would rather have Hak than some of the other coachs around the league. How is Lucia working out in Minnesota right now? Eaves, I heard a few in the Badger nation are upset with him as well. Jerry York with all of his trips to the NCAA tourney has two at B.C. 2001 and 2008.

Everyone wants Steve Johnson. I like the guy too. He did wonders in Lincoln. However, something some of you seem to ignore: UND requires their Hockey Head Coach to hold a MASTERS DEGREE. Steve Johnson, at the time the hiring was going on, HADN'T EVEN BEGUN to get one.

So he WASN'T QUALIFIED! This stuff ain't Holiday Inn Express, folks. So, who are you going to blame in this? O'Keefe? Blais? UND? Ok, maybe you could argue that UND shouldn't have such stringent hiring practices....oh wait... all that crap about expectations and tradition... guess not.

The blame for not qualifying rests SOLELY upon the shoulders of Steve Johnson. Now, I hear he's started taking Masters coursework. I don't know how or where I heard this, but...

Others wanted a National Search. Why? So Hakstol could be hired over a bunch of national candidates? Would that have made people feel better? The time to run a proper national search would have certainly affected recruiting schedules and perhaps the decisions of recruits that haven't signed LOIs.... All for what?

All this pining for someone else is retarded. And it makes us hypocritical. Like Jim Dahl said, Woog got fired for supposedly similar reasons. Oh well... Hakstol has yet to finish the year under 500. He's yet to fail to make the NCAAs, IIRC.

I could throw out analogy after analogy, some are pretty far fetched, but apt. So many great coaches weren't given a fair shake in one or another head coaching job (Bellicheck in Cleveland, Gwozdecky in ND (IIRC), Lucia (he wasn't fired I don't think, but we can put his time at CC in this category), Julien in NJ, and countless others)

The incoming class is smaller and quicker.

I like it. Speed kills. You saw that with BSU last night against ND and with the BC teams of the last couple years.

Kristo was the fastest skater at the WJC (according to his coach).

Mattson has amazing wheels and Oshie-like stick handling ability.

I'm on board with going back to the Hoogsteen-era fast as heck teams. Roll four lines of fast forwards, and eventually the opposing team will wear down. They can't hit what they can't catch. :(

I like it. Speed kills. You saw that with BSU last night against ND and with the BC teams of the last couple years.

Kristo was the fastest skater at the WJC (according to his coach).

Mattson has amazing wheels and Oshie-like stick handling ability.

I'm on board with going back to the Hoogsteen-era fast as heck teams. Roll four lines of fast forwards, and eventually the opposing team will wear down. They can't hit what they can't catch. :(

And standing behind these really fast guys are going to be a bunch of oak trees (on defense) , that is how I would build a team.

We are going to have defenders that are going to knock the oppositon's heads off. ;) this makes me very happy.

And standing behind these really fast guys are going to be a bunch of oak trees (on defense) , that is how I would build a team.

We are going to have defenders that are going to knock the oppositon's heads off. :) this makes me very happy.

I sure hope so. I miss the fear in opponents whenever they had to enter the UND zone and they had to get past guys like Greene, Smaby, and of course Matt Jones to get a shot at our goalie. ;):(

I especially remember in that Worcester regional when we had to play BU and BC those guys sure put a clinic on them :)

If we can have that kind of Defensive Corp again with some offensive defenseman like Genoway and Marto I think that'd bring good things.

Marto and Blood

Lapoint and Finehage

Gleason and MacWilliam

This makes me quite uneasy.

If these kids can't bust open some heads at the blueline we're going to need Eidsness and Dell to be making 40+ saves a game.

If these kids can't bust open some heads at the blueline we're going to need Eidsness and Dell to be making 40+ saves a game.

Why?

Finley won't singlehandedly lose any games for us.

Seriously, though, I think our D isn't going to be as dominant next year, but I don't think they'll be bad.

What concerns me the most is LaPoint... How will he be after his injury? Will he be ready and 100%?

What concerns me the most is LaPoint... How will he be after his injury? Will he be ready and 100%?

My daughter and I talked to LaPoint for awhile at the Final 5; he seemed to be in great spirits and is hopeful he'll make a full recovery. He's a nice kid, and really a babyface.

Smaller and quicker is what the Sioux will be.

The benefits of that will be defined by how the WCHA brass views the following:

• In this year's NCAA tournament the AHA (Air Force) got as many tournament wins as the WCHA.
  • In this year's NCAA tournament the CHA (Bemidji State) got as many tournament wins as the WCHA.
  • In this year's NCAA tournament the CHA (Bemidji State) got MORE tournament wins THAN the WCHA.

That is bloody embarrassing.

The WCHA Administration (head office and officiating) needs to raise its "game" to the level of the talent playing the game in the league. I'm quite sure that the NCAA Rule Committee has taken notice of the WCHA's hijinx this year (wandering coaches, mysterious suspensions) as well as the WCHA's total lack of commitment to enforce the rules against obstruction and holding and checking from behind.

The WCHA needs to start officiating like the rest of college hockey or else these trends (nobody left to go to the Frozen Four) will only continue.

Let's look at this from another angle: Would you rather play with a cadaver in a Mankato jersey on your back and risk the injuries from guys like Trevor Bruess or would you rather play in a league where obstruction and checking from behind is called. Look at the Michigan/MSU situation this year. The CCHA, not Michigan State, suspended those fools. But who suspended the dashing dasher dancing monkey? DU. Who suspended Trevor Bruess? MSU-Mankato. No wonder talent is bolting for leagues (pro and college) where they can showcase it because they can't depend on the league to set a standard of conduct and play and maintain it.

Commissioner McLeod's contract is up for renewal. I'm sure it's on the April meetings agenda.

Quit manufacturing parity (by not calling obstruction).

I say it's time for sunshine and a fresh start.

Show me the speed game.

Show me hockey.

Since I'm on a good rant, indulge me.

Can Gwozdecky coach offense? Can Eades?

Can anyone anymore?

Where have the skilled offensive players gone.

I ask because I see teams with awesome ability to make a sweep-check, chase the puck to the corner, put it in skates, find an opening, and then give up possession by going high off the glass even when down a goal or two.

I saw what Miami did to Denver. Miami wanted the puck on their stick, both in the attack and defensive zones. Miami seldom willingly gave up possession of the puck. Denver wanted to dump it in, apply nominal pressure, and then hope to pick off a pass or some other miscue and use that to spur an odd-man (1-on-0 or 2-on-1). Same for Duluth. And that's Wisconsin's game.

Heck, that's most of the WCHA's game: no possession, counter-punch, trap.

That game requires guys with long reaches and average skating skill. It doesn't even require much ability to make a decent pass (because the glass is a big target.

Teaching a sweep-check is a nothing skill to teach. Teaching guys to stand in skating and shooting lanes is easy. And I'm sure it keeps coaches in jobs (by keeping scores low, as long as the guys are allowed to obstruct along with it).

Now ask yourself: From dead-center between the dots, how many guys in this league can snap a backhander into a top opening on a corner board more than 50% of the time? Heck, how many guys can get a low shot (snap, wrist, or slap) through traffic on net? How many can use the boards to make a head-man pass to themselves (and not end up icing it instead)?

The trap is a bane and a pox upon hockey because it devalues offensive skills.

And any ol' fool can teach trap skills to any group of reasonable skaters.

Who's teaching guys the fundamental offensive skills anymore?

Commissioner McLeod's contract is up for renewal. I'm sure it's on the April meetings agenda.

Quit manufacturing parity (by not calling obstruction).

I say it's time for sunshine and a fresh start.

Show me the speed game.

Show me hockey.

Then the league schools need to not renew his contract and start over. McClown isn't the only one that can do this job.

Since I'm on a good rant, indulge me.

Can Gwozdecky coach offense? Can Eades?

Can anyone anymore?

Where have the skilled offensive players gone.

I ask because I see teams with awesome ability to make a sweep-check, chase the puck to the corner, put it in skates, find an opening, and then give up possession by going high off the glass even when down a goal or two.

I saw what Miami did to Denver. Miami wanted the puck on their stick, both in the attack and defensive zones. Miami seldom willingly gave up possession of the puck. Denver wanted to dump it in, apply nominal pressure, and then hope to pick off a pass or some other miscue and use that to spur an odd-man (1-on-0 or 2-on-1). Same for Duluth. And that's Wisconsin's game.

Heck, that's most of the WCHA's game: no possession, counter-punch, trap.

That game requires guys with long reaches and average skating skill. It doesn't even require much ability to make a decent pass (because the glass is a big target.

Teaching a sweep-check is a nothing skill to teach. Teaching guys to stand in skating and shooting lanes is easy. And I'm sure it keeps coaches in jobs (by keeping scores low, as long as the guys are allowed to obstruct along with it).

Now ask yourself: From dead-center between the dots, how many guys in this league can snap a backhander into a top opening on a corner board more than 50% of the time? Heck, how many guys can get a low shot (snap, wrist, or slap) through traffic on net? How many can use the boards to make a head-man pass to themselves (and not end up icing it instead)?

The trap is a bane and a pox upon hockey because it devalues offensive skills.

And any ol' fool can teach trap skills to any group of reasonable skaters.

Who's teaching guys the fundamental offensive skills anymore?

MN and UND still play up tempo for the most part. That's why guys like Parise and Schroeder and Vanek and Toews picked UMN and UND. I am going to write a letter to all athletic directors in the WCHA expressingm y concerns. I suggest that all who feel the same way should do the same.

Sicatoka-

Pipedream.

NO WAY will McLeod not be renewed. He's a SUPERB Butt kisser. He'll make a bunch of promises and cite parity (even though the league has become a bit more of a parody of itself).

He'll be renewed and give an extension to his good buddy Shepherd.

I'd LOVE to get new blood in there. I don't know who. I'd LOVE to have the new WCHA commissioner NOT be from a WCHA school. Maybe someone from Hockey East. I don't know if that's possible. Maybe the WCHA commish has to be someone from a WCHA school.

But one thing is for sure, I would LOVE to have an NHL officiating administrator to be head of officials. I can't believe that the worst NHL official wouldn't be an upgrade.

The best hope for a fresh start is pointing out that the WCHA has only shown up in recent Frozen Fours by playing speed, not obstruction.

Is there any gauge on wether the league would like to see McLeod out or not?

A fast and skilled Sioux team would be a puck possession team.

As long as those dmen can make outlet passes to the forwards, the opposing team won't be able to get 40 sog because it will be in their end the whole time. :(

Hak is great coach and solid recruiter, we just havent one it yet with him. College hockey is alot tougher to win it all now, the teams are so much more even across the board now days, ie) notre dame losing to BSU, Michigan losing to AF. Three number one teams are done in the tourney in the first games, when have we EVER seen that!

Getting rid of Hakstol and our coaches will only hurt the program, not help it. I really wish we'd stop staying coulda, shoulda, woulda, with different coaches than hakstol. When we do that, we act like Kentucky fans in basketball. I'm not staying change isn't good, or a new approach could be had with our PP, PK, and offensive/defensive setups. Next year, IMO we'll be better than this year, probably not 1st in the WCHA, but we'll make more damage in the tourney. With a solid class coming in, with Kristo and Cichy hurting opponents on the offensive end and MacWilliam's blocking shots with his face, we'll do just fine. Why throw Hakstol and company under the bus when OUR team lost the game?

That is bloody embarrassing.

The WCHA Administration (head office and officiating) needs to raise its "game" to the level of the talent playing the game in the league. I'm quite sure that the NCAA Rule Committee has taken notice of the WCHA's hijinx this year (wandering coaches, mysterious suspensions) as well as the WCHA's total lack of commitment to enforce the rules against obstruction and holding and checking from behind.

The WCHA needs to start officiating like the rest of college hockey or else these trends (nobody left to go to the Frozen Four) will only continue.

Sicatoka in a perfect world the WCHA leadership would see the error of their ways and call the game the say they are supposed to be call however,

they don't think they are wrong. In Shepherds and McLeod's opinion they are running the league in a good way. I don't think they care what the league

thinks.

A fast and skilled Sioux team would be a puck possession team.

As long as those dmen can make outlet passes to the forwards, the opposing team won't be able to get 40 sog because it will be in their end the whole time. :lol:

I still think the best way for a shot on goal for he oppostion is a counter attack, get pucks deep, attack, attack, attack. That is what burried Cornell and ND.

It is what dean blais used to coach and to a certain degree it is returning to UND as well.