SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 NCAA HOCKEY TOURNEY

AZSIOUX

On points 2 and 3...we're screwed!! ;)

Hakstol better be working on the PP/PK this week in practice. :lol:

I agree about OSU. I watched one of their games with ND, and they looked impressive and fast. Dalpe is a great forward for them. If I were BU, I would be mad that they got OSU instead of BSU in their first game...

That was my initial reaction. They did it to avoid a Notre Dame-OSU first round matchup.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats true but my point was they are a host and missed out which flat out has to burn as a fan and player or coach. home ice for 2 possible games onto DC. they tanked in the 2nd half and got what they deserved. um had the 2nd longest streak i believe and thats done. uw missed the tourney the year after they won it all a few years back. BC missed out for the first time in a while as well this year. usually you can shoe in 6-9 teams for the most part and then a few more will round out the field. this year is one of those years

For sure; bummed me out when the Sioux were not picked for the tourney in 1983 during the smoke filled room days, with the FF at Grand Forks. Would have been bummed again if the Sioux hadn't made the tourney when the regional was in GF a couple years ago. Stinks to have an NCAA tourney in town and not be in it.

Unreal that only one team (#16 Wisco) was displaced by an autobid; top 15 are in.

Does anyone know anything about TV coverage for the other regionals, specificially the one in Minneapolis?

I'd love to watch the UMD/Princeton game since it's on Friday

its posted in 2nd post of this thread on 1st page

From Brad's blog:

-Only two teams who have won a national championship in the past 10 years are in the field: UND and Denver. Maine, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan State and Boston College are all out.

-The coaches' preseason picks in both the WCHA and Hockey East (Colorado College and Boston College) didn't make it.

Since Dave Hakstol has taken over at UND, only three college hockey programs have been in the NCAA tournament every year. They are UND, New Hampshire and Michigan.

-Eight of the 16 teams in last year's field failed to make it this year.

-This is only the second time under the current 16-team format that only three WCHA teams have made the field.

Obviously we need to shore up our special teams to be successful this weekend. The PK and PP have been bad the last few weekends. If we do not have Watkins (our best penalty killer) that makes things all the tougher on the PK. I hope we are working on special teams like there is no tomorrow in practice this week!!!!

NHL.com NCAA Tournament Breakdown

Skinny -- No regional boasts two more talented and historic teams in NCAA play than Boston University and North Dakota. Both hit their stride after Jan. 1, and each should roll over Ohio State and host New Hampshire, respectively, in the semis. Touted by many as one of BU's best teams ever, especially along the blue line that is led by Matt Gilroy and Kevin Shattenkirk, the Terriers and Notre Dame have swapped the No. 1 rank most of the season. If the Fighting Sioux get by the Wildcats, they will need to excise their Achilles' heel of taking penalties in a BU final to compete for an NCAA second-best 8th national title. BU's power play is the best in the country. But what makes North Dakota go is its up-tempo style and physical play. These two should provide the best regional final.

NHL.com's Top 10

1. Boston Univ. 31-6-4

2. Notre Dame 35-1-3

3. Michigan 29-11-0

4. Denver 23-11-5

5. Yale 24-7-2

6. Northeastern 25-11-4

7. North Dakota 24-14-4

8. Minnesota-Duluth 21-12-8

9. Cornell 21-9-4

10. Princeton 22-11-1

31-5-3 would be the correct record.