SiouxSports.com Forum

Dean Blais going to a another D-1 school?

tho0505

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

--OMG NEWS FLASH --

************COLLEGE HOCKEY FANS LIKE TO RIP ON OTHER SCHOOLS AND TEAMS, ESPECIALLY RIVALS***************

Though, if you run into DaveK, DO NOT tell him, especially if you're in a hurry.

*Ding; RUBE CRED.

No one restricts who Lucia or any other Gopher coach recruits as long as they can meet the admission criteria. Where do you guys come up with that crap? Blais would take the U of Minn job if offered and recruit the best players he could to be successful.

Oh Please! The first things out of the mouth of Gopher fans, Gopher announcers, and TC sports columnists are:

1. The Sioux roster is full of 24 year old Canadians while we have MN kids fresh out of high school.

2. ND doesn't create enough hockey players to field a hockey team while we only have MN players.

Imagine the uproar if a Gopher team had 5-8 or more Canadians on it. The MN only or predominantly MN roster is a theme that has been rammed in the face of everyone else since I have followed Sioux hockey beginning in the 70's.

And that is exactly why buckysieve was right when he said you are not capable of being objective. You're consumed with irrational hatred and the myopic propaganda that you constantly spew both on this message board and your blog is an embarrassment.

Personal attack? I think it might be David...

--OMG NEWS FLASH --

************COLLEGE HOCKEY FANS LIKE TO RIP ON OTHER SCHOOLS AND TEAMS, ESPECIALLY RIVALS***************

If you run into DaveK, DO NOT tell him, especially if you're in a hurry.

No kidding!

Back on track: I don't think we will see Dean B. as the gopher coach...he would turn that program around, as long as he could recruit the best players in North America, instead of Minnesota only.

Not for a first round draft choice he was not. Typical Goofs fan. :D

So its Lucia's and or Wheeler's fault for Phoenix drafting him at #5? He is a ROTY candidate. Typical Sioux fan.. ??? Most people don't remember he was slotted in the mid 20's for draft position. Or, don't care about facts when given the opportunity to rip someone that played for a program they refuse to give credit to in any way. ;)

Oh Please! The first things out of the mouth of Gopher fans, Gopher announcers, and TC sports columnists are:

1. The Sioux roster is full of 24 year old Canadians while we have MN kids fresh out of high school.

2. ND doesn't create enough hockey players to field a hockey team while we only have MN players.

Imagine the uproar if a Gopher team had 5-8 or more Canadians on it. The MN only or predominantly MN roster is a theme that has been rammed in the face of everyone else since I have followed Sioux hockey beginning in the 70's.

There is no "Minnesota" rule.

So its Lucia's and or Wheeler's fault for Phoenix drafting him at #5? He is a ROTY candidate. Typical Sioux fan.. :D Most people don't remember he was slotted in the mid 20's for draft position. Or, don't care about facts when given the opportunity to rip someone that played for a program they refuse to give credit to in any way. ???

I wouldn't say typical Sioux fan...there are more on your side of the fence in that opinion I think.

And that is exactly why buckysieve was right when he said you are not capable of being objective. You're consumed with irrational hatred and the myopic propaganda that you constantly spew both on this message board and your blog is an embarrassment.

Just curious here, don't want to interrupt anything... isn't this similar to your attitude towards NDSU? :D

So its Lucia's and or Wheeler's fault for Phoenix drafting him at #5? He is a ROTY candidate. Typical Sioux fan.. :D Most people don't remember he was slotted in the mid 20's for draft position. Or, don't care about facts when given the opportunity to rip someone that played for a program they refuse to give credit to in any way. ???

What the EFF?

Who's fault is it that Wheeler was drafted #5 overall? It's UND's fault! DUH! Everything that goes wrong in the WCHA is UND's fault! What rock have you been hiding under? ;)

I ate crow on Wheeler. Up until this season, I thought he was Gretzky's version of Alexandre Daigle (first round talent taken WAY TOO EARLY). His rookie season has been remarkable.

I don't know if he'll bring home the Calder, but he does deserve consideration for it.

Googel: Bunning, Thomas (former UND atheltic Director).

Definately played a role in his departure, along with his wife's illness and passing (earlier than anticipated), the fact that his deferred compensation had fully vested, REA management issues, the chance to coach at the next level (250,000-300,000), promises made (but not kept) in Columbus, and maybe just looking for a different routine after 10 years in one place. It would be shocking to see the Gophs let tDon go after this year, but even more shocking for Dean to be his replacement. I would think he will re-appear in Division I hockey, but don't think it will be at a UND rival, or even in the WCHA. :D

I remember an interview with Blais in his final years as head coach with UND saying something in line with he would not coach anywhere for more than ten years. If you look at his resume, that stands true to this day. His personal life had a lot to do with his moving on, not to mention the notion that he probably had more to prove to himself which made the leap to the NHL make sense. Dean will do what he feels is right for himself. It wouldn't surprise me if he went on to coach somewhere else in D-1 hockey, not even to UMTC. However, it would be a hard pill to swallow! Let's hope he gets comfortable in Fargo and starts grooming some new talent for UND!

So when a former Gopher does well in the NHL it's in spite of Lucia's coaching? You are so biased sometimes it's embarrassing. You're the equivelent of Sean Hannity. Just like he is completely incapable of being objective about the left, you are just as incapable of being objective about the Gophers. Wheeler had a very productive three years at the U. Maybe not what you would expect of a fifth overall draft pick but Lucia can't control where he was drafted. The bottom line is that the three years Wheeler spent at the U clearly served him well as he is now thriving as a rookie in the NHL. You making this claim is no different than me saying Drew Stafford blossomed in spite of Blais and Hakstol. It just makes no sense.

If Goon is like Sean Hannity, then I would say you are like Ed Schultz. :D

I'd speculate that the big reason that Blais left is that he was virtually guarantees a year off (NHL Lockout) with the pay of a head coach. It allowed him to spend a lot of time with his ailing wife. Blais was hired by Columbus as an associate head coach and was initially given a lot of assurances that he was going to be the next head coach in Columbus and was also paid as a head coach. When the new GM came into Columbus he cleaned house and was stuck with a scout (blais) making upwards of $300,000.

I know for a fact that the part of coaching that Blais enjoys is player development and he didn't get to do much of that at the NHL level. From what I've heard, he really likes working with young, kids who want to learn. He's very loves the fact that he is getting to build a team from scratch, and if you haven't been paying attention, he has a expansion team battling for home ice. He's also getting paid like a top end Div 1 coach so it's not going to be a money issue.

He's also expressed his interest in developing Fargo into a hockey first town. Now I'll admit he's got a long way to go, but if anyone can do it is Blais. He's also really trying to have an impact on the development of youth hockey in Fargo. He's become the face of Fargo hockey in a short period of time. The kids really think it is cool if Blais, or any of his Force players are around the rink (indoor or out). It has a way to go, but having Blais and the Force is going to positively impact hockey in Fargo.

That's not speculation, that is in fact the reason he left.