SiouxSports.com Forum

2010 Recruiting

UND Fan

Oshkosh West QB Demler commits to UND

Oshkosh West senior quarterback Trey Demler gave his verbal commitment to NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (previously Division 1-AA) North Dakota University to play football next season.

Demler led the state in passing yards last season with 3,051 in 11 games, and is currently ranked second this year with 1,789 yards through seven games.

The scholarship offer from the Fighting Sioux was the only Division 1 offer and while the possibility of another offer is still possible pending a long Wildcats playoff run, Demler said he is set on NDU.

"A lot of things went into (the commitment)," Demler said. "I took a visit and there’s really nothing in my eyes not to like about it. When you think of college football, you don’t think of North Dakota, but I loved the people there, and that’s the most important thing."

Demler made a name for himself in his high school career operating out of coach Ken Levine’s spread offense. While North Dakota doesn’t run a carbon copy, Demler feels the offense it fits him well.

"It’s not a true spread, but they spread it out a lot," Demler said. "It’s definitely an offense I fit well in."

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/...26season%3d2010

http://rivals.yahoo.com/illinois/football/...ey-Demler-89804

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANZD8Jet6lI

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marlin Lee has Demler as the second-rated qb in Wisconsin, and the 22nd-rated prospect overall. He's thrown for nearly 1800 yards and 17 td's through seven games so far this year. A very nice pickup for UND.

Updated list (new info in italics):

Marcus Trotter Milwaukee Marquette 6'1", 220, LB Has offers from UNI, Indiana, IL State

Michael Trotter Milwaukee Marquette 6'0", 200, DB Committed to Badgers

Matt Eggen La Crosse 6'5", 290, OL Committed to Gophers

Cameron Botticelli Milwaukee Marquette 6'5", 238, LB/DE Has offers from UNI, IL State, SIU

Kyle Costigan Muskego, WS 6'5", 250, OL/DE Has offers from USD, IL State, UNI, SIU, NDSU

Grant Olson Wayzata 6'2", 220, LB Has offer from NDSU

Bryce Dietz Lincoln, NE 6'5", 285, OT Committed to Ohio

Yusef Wade Lincoln, NE 5'11", 175, CB No other known offers

Ryan Smith Wahpeton 5'7", 163, RB Committed to NDSU

Trey Demler Oshkosh, WS 6'1", 183, QB Committed to UND

Sam Cunningham Hudson, WS 6'5", 300, OL Has offer from SIU

Billy Turner Arden Hills, MN 6'5", 270, OL Has offers from UNI, NDSU, IL St

Max Busher Rosemount, MN 6'1", 215, LB Has offer from NDSU

Jesse Hinz Beatrice, NE 6'4", 280, OL Committed to NDSU

Trevor Gebhart Sioux Falls Wash. 6'2", 180, WR Committed to NDSU

Tracy Clark Pittsburg (CA) 5'10", 175, CB Committed to Wash St.

Jeremy Gordon Milw. Riverside 6'1", 220, DE No other known offers

Eric Oertel Racine Lutheran 6-2, 198, RB-LB Has offers from Wash St, IL State,

This has not been updated for awhile - I would guess there should be other additions.

Demler kid sounds like a great signing. #2 QB in the state of Wisconsin? Someone on the staff did a great job landing this kid. Hopefully we can hang on to him until signing day. Sounds like he will have quite a few offers out there by the end, maybe even from some smaller FBS schools.

Great news!

I wonder how much a national TV contract entered into his decision. First known acceptance, after the FCS deal. Couldn't have hurt. :)

Signing Demler early might also help lean other Wisconsin recruits to UND.

Here's an article from Marlin Lee on Demler's commitment. It will be interesting to follow the career of Demler compared to NDSU recruit Esley Thorton from Bismarck. Thorton may very well turn out to be a good college quarterback, but he's asked to throw so seldom right now that it has to be pretty hard to project how he'll do playing in an offense where he'll need to throw at least 25 times a game. Demler already plays in that type of offense, which has to be somewhat of an advantage in terms of his transition to the college game.

Great pickup! Nice to see you guys getting your future growth lined up. A good coach can get the most out of the kids he gets and looks like your coach is doing fine.

You can never tell how good those 2-star guys can really be. We had one named Michael Crabtree who was a 2-star QB in high school. You may have seen him in that Texas game last year. The only WR to ever win two Belitnekoff (sp?) Awards.

In fact, until this last recruiting class, our whole team was made up almost entirely of 2-stars and less. Come to think of it, our current place kicker came out of the stands, our punter was a walk-on (Russell Erxleben's son if you're old enough to remember the Texas All-American kicker), and our 'replacement' QB was also a walk-on. Threw for 490 yards and 7 TDs in his first start last week against Kansas State. Sometimes I question the value of the HS ratings.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like it will be a challenge to get this kid, as more and more schools between now and February will begin to hear about him and eventually offer him. However, if we did end up getting him, it sounds like we would have a stud on our hands.

It appears Oertel has committed to Washington State: http://www.cougcenter.com/2009/10/20/10928...ath-eric-oertel

Soiux Falls Washington Tackle Derek Farniok

Derek Farniok, a 6-foot-8, 302 pound junior left tackle from Sioux Falls (SD) Washington, received a Minnesota scholarship offer last Saturday after attending the Michigan State game. Farniok has helped lead the Warriors to an 11-0 mark.

He has gotten Division IA offers like North Dakota

SF washington

(SF Washington) starts with that offensive line, led by senior center and Iowa State recruit Tom Farniok (6-4, 260) and his brother, Derek (6-8, 302), a tackle who is also a major Division I prospect.

Washington has tallied 1,875 rushing yards with weapons that include quarterback Matt Hermanson (500 yards, 12 rushing TDs), fullback Chris McMartin (479, 5 TDs) and running backs Tyler Miller (339) and Sam Hoskins (245).

There will be a couple real good prespects at the Alerus in the Section 8AAA title game tonight (Perham vs. Pequot Lakes). Perham's QB (Buchholz) is your prototype QB. Big (listed at 6'5" - about 220??). Strong arm. Pequot Lakes has a BURNER in the backfield (Michaelson). Last game between these teams ended on a last second field goal in a game where there were no punts.

Well worth going to watch these guys.

UND gets a Good one out of California......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WruEXeAUFSc

Ekenna Anya-Gafu

6'3" 230 LB/DE

Played at Christain BrothersCatholic - Sac, Calif.

Coming to UND for Aviation and Football

Should be announced soon....

Very good! I like the size and he appears to be able to play DT or LB in the future depending on how big he gets.

Congrats to the coaching staff on what looks like a couple of great commitments so far. From seeing the video and some pictures, Anya-Gafu passes the eye test, and UND doesn't currently have enough of those types of athletes in the program at this point in the transtion. If I had to guess, he will be a strong side OLB or possibly a DE in UND's system if he gains another 25-30 pounds.

From the sounds of it, Demler was high on Wisconsin's list until their top choice committed:

In the beginning stages of recruitment, Demler was in constant contact with the Badgers and offensive coordinator Paul Chryst, who was enamored with the seniors arm strength and decision making. Unfortunately for Demler, the conversations came to a stand still after Wisconsin had received a verbal commitment from New Jersey quarterback Joe Brennan, considered the top signal caller on UW

Demler looks like a good find. You can never have too many QB types. If they don't work out at QB, they can usually play another position because of their general athleticism. Michael Crabtree was originally a QB recruit for us.

I'd say that position change worked out pretty well for him. :)

Mounds View Offensive lineman Billy Turner has verbaled to NDSU.

www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia -

I noticed they only have 1 offensive lineman left that has an offer on their board, any ideas on how many they will try to sign or who they might be showing increased interest in due to the commitments of guys to other schools?

Congrats to the coaching staff on what looks like a couple of great commitments so far. From seeing the video and some pictures, Anya-Gafu passes the eye test, and UND doesn't currently have enough of those types of athletes in the program at this point in the transtion. If I had to guess, he will be a strong side OLB or possibly a DE in UND's system if he gains another 25-30 pounds.

From the sounds of it, Demler was high on Wisconsin's list until their top choice committed:

I watched some Demler video on youtube and he appears to me to be a bigger version of Danny Freund, and with a much stronger arm. He could be a great one at UND.

A sort of fantasy is for UND to get the next Dan LeFevour or Case Keenum.