SiouxSports.com Forum

The Second Half Surge: Math or Myth

Dave Berger

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for whatever reason and i have no friken clue why teams under hak do this every year. i think there is a misconception though about being very bad in the 1st half. its not that the sioux are ever bad except this year for a month but its more of being inconsistent i would say. then when march comes along the sioux are amazing and seem to win like crazy. then april and those dam BC eagles put a stop to everything :);)

My opinion is that Hak purposely keeps moving guys around the first half of the year. It doesn't provide for the best winning percentage, but in the long run, everyone knows how everyone plays. Come the middle of December, he's starting to finalize lines for the second half.

1) This prevents opposing teams from using the same strategies on our guys all year round, and gives Hak the best opportunity to really see who gels and who doesn't.

2) If any unforseen circumstances occur, teammates have an idea on how each other will react if put into a new situation.

That's just my theory, but if you go back and look at each of the previous seasons, Hak seemed to shuffle quite a bit each of the first couple months. Most of us took it as we're not playing well, so Hak is trying to make something work...but in my opinion, it might be planned that way.

Math.

Why? I am not a hockey coach - but would appreciate the wisdom of those who do. To my layperson's eye, it looks like UND plays very complex, intricate systems in all 3 zones. When perfected, become very difficult to play against, and we see UND dismantle some dang good teams. These combine fast skating, hard hitting, short passes, and an interconnected response among the guys on the ice. But until perfected, until everyone gets on the page, become vulnerable to mistakes.

Even Michigan, who also features big fast strong guys with a mean streak, cheered when they didn't have to play "effing North Dakota again" last year.

This year, more than most, the four-line depth, with really no drop off from #1 to #4, also makes the team difficult to play against. Combine that with 8 seniors seeking one last legacy to add to the tradition, and a goaltender for whom the game is slowing down, make the likelihood of a good March a good bet.

My opinion is that Hak purposely keeps moving guys around the first half of the year. It doesn't provide for the best winning percentage, but in the long run, everyone knows how everyone plays. Come the middle of December, he's starting to finalize lines for the second half.

1) This prevents opposing teams from using the same strategies on our guys all year round, and gives Hak the best opportunity to really see who gels and who doesn't.

2) If any unforseen circumstances occur, teammates have an idea on how each other will react if put into a new situation.

That's just my theory, but if you go back and look at each of the previous seasons, Hak seemed to shuffle quite a bit each of the first couple months. Most of us took it as we're not playing well, so Hak is trying to make something work...but in my opinion, it might be planned that way.

interesting. with how much we usually have to move up in the 2nd half does that wear us down in the end? or for some reason are they just not prepared right for the frozen 4? or is it just those damn BC eagles ;) just throwing out ideas ive heard talking sioux hockey over the years. not really my personal thoughts but food for thought i guess.

interesting. with how much we usually have to move up in the 2nd half does that wear us down in the end? or for some reason are they just not prepared right for the frozen 4? or is it just those damn BC eagles ;) just throwing out ideas ive heard talking sioux hockey over the years. not really my personal thoughts but food for thought i guess.

2005: Denver got the one bounce, we didn't.

2006: JPar had a bad night. We had the better team.

2007: Pretty even teams. flip a coin.

2008: They were a better team ...

My $.02 anyway ...

2005: Denver got the one bounce, we didn't.

2006: JPar had a bad night. We had the better team.

2007: Pretty even teams. flip a coin.

2008: They were a better team ...

My $.02 anyway ...

You mean, they had Nathan Gerbe...(yes, they had Gerbe the two previous years, but not THE Nathan Gerbe).

my only fear this year is that we will have to spend so much energy just to make it to the dance then when we get there we're all wore out. as I think this happened last year as we go on a 18 game unbeaten streak and then lose to tech and I don't think we were ever the same team as we didn't play very well at the x and in the regional we beat princeton(which I think outplayed us) then were fortunate to get by wisc and then get our heads handed to us by BC.

my only fear this year is that we will have to spend so much energy just to make it to the dance then when we get there we're all wore out. as I think this happened last year as we go on a 18 game unbeaten streak and then lose to tech and I don't think we were ever the same team as we didn't play very well at the x and in the regional we beat princeton(which I think outplayed us) then were fortunate to get by wisc and then get our heads handed to us by BC.

I hope these kids are not spent coming down the stretch, no matter how hard they played on the back end of the season. Aside from injuries, they are young men that should be able to play two games a weekend all year long! Being worn down come the Frozen Four should not be an issue as they have two weeks to rest and heal. The real problem, come the Frozen Four, is not being on top of their game mentally. IMO, this has to be blamed mostly on the coaching staff.

I think the point was that the emotional effort of pushing so hard left the tank empty, so that will be a risk again this year. There is a physical aspect to it though, and that should be better this year. Never shortening the bench keeps everyone fresh for the stretch run. This is the first year in about ten that the Sioux can truly roll four lines and never worry about who is on the ice. LaPoint's injury will begin to stress the top defensemen, but maybe Finley missing the first half of the year will be a blessing in disguise that way.

If you look at the NCAA there is no award for the best start, tell that to all of the world beaters at the beginning of the seaosn that are now starting to tumble like prom dresses at an after prom party. It's a bad Cliche I know. I could used something else. It has worked for Hak so far. Each year his teams have gotten better in the second half.

I am just happy to see UND in the running for a WCHA regular season title. Also, this is the first season where Hakstol has all of his recruits. I dunno. I like the way things are starting to develop in Hakstol's system and after four seasons we are beginning to see the type of team that he is recruiting and building. This years addition is balanced through all four forward lines and they are the fastest team that I have seen this season. Granted I didn't see the BU game.

If you look at the NCAA there is no award for the best start, tell that to all of the world beaters at the beginning of the seaosn that are now starting to tumble like prom dresses at an after prom party. It's a bad Cliche I know. I could used something else. It has worked for Hak so far. Each year his teams have gotten better in the second half.

I am just happy to see UND in the running for a WCHA regular season title. Also, this is the first season where Hakstol has all of his recruits. I dunno. I like the way things are starting to develop in Hakstol's system and after four seasons we are beginning to see the type of team that he is recruiting and building. This years addition is balanced through all four forward lines and they are the fastest team that I have seen this season. Granted I didn't see the BU game.

Who would have predicted Michigan State two years ago with their less than stellar regular season record and no elite players in their lineup. However, they had good goaltending, a good D and balanced scoring from their lineup. There is always hope.

Who would have predicted Michigan State two years ago with their less than stellar regular season record and no elite players in their lineup. However, they had good goaltending, a good D and balanced scoring from their lineup. There is always hope.

Man, thank you for your comment, and I hope that your point regarding Michigan State in 2007 will also hold true for the Sioux this year.

Yes there is hope and along with hope there are dreams. It is dreams that make life tolerable. I prefer the kind of dreams that come true, like the SIOUX winning the National Title!

It is my belief that we have underachieved in the last few seasons. This is not to say we didn't make good runs at the title, but we really should have brought home the hardware at the very least, once in the last few years. It's not how you start the season, hell it's not how you perform in the middle of the season, it's how you finish the season, winning the National Title! GO SIOUX!!!

that's right the key is to just get in:

2008-bc, 2 seed

2007-msu,3 seed

2006-wisc,1 seed

2005-du,1 seed

2004-du,2 seed

2003-minn, 1 seed

2002-minn,2 seed

2001-bc,1 seed

2000-UND, 2 seed

being a one seed doesn't seem to amount to much this decade. let's just get in.

2008-bc, 2 seed

2007-msu,3 seed

2006-wisc,1 seed

2005-du,1 seed

2004-du,2 seed

2003-minn, 1 seed

2002-minn,2 seed

2001-bc,1 seed

2000-UND, 2 seed

Not mention we have had a few over inflated number ones get bounced in the first round ala Clarkson. ;)

I could see one in Yale or Cornell this season as well.

2008-bc, 2 seed

2007-msu,3 seed

2006-wisc,1 seed

2005-du,1 seed

2004-du,2 seed

2003-minn, 1 seed

2002-minn,2 seed

2001-bc,1 seed

2000-UND, 2 seed

In defense of the #1 seeds, the '00 Sioux and the '02 Gophers would have been number ones under today's sixteen team criteria. Making #1s six of the most recent nine.

That said I totally agree that making the tourney this year is a huge deal. I wouldn't count out UND, UW or even the Gophers (if they get their $@#$% together again) as NCAA champs.

Tell me about it. I didn't even have MSU anywhere near the top teams in the tourney that year...

But that's not new for me. I didn't think the Cardinals would make the Super Bowl, the Rays make the World Series... the list goes on.