SiouxSports.com Forum

Tom Clifford

The Walrus

I'm sadden by the news of Tom Clifford's passing.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/i...ection=homepage

He was a great man and a great leader.

I remember that he knew my name. I was by no means an outstanding student. I was actually a quite lousy one until I went back later and finished my degree. But, when he would walk by me on campus, he'd ask how I was doing by name. I'd always reply, "Doing great, Dr. Clifford! How are you?" It would always perk me up. He also knew many of my friend's names on campus. We were all just average students trying to get by. That always amazed me about him. I always wondered if he sat down and memorized students names.

Sometimes he'd stop and talk to students in a crowd. When he did, he would joke with us, but he also really wanted to know what we thought. Then, he'd tell us what he thought and would always give us an encouraging word. He was definitely a people person, he loved to get around the campus and mingle with the crowd. We need more leaders like Dr. Clifford.

He was the head chief, no pun intended, at UND during my years there. People talk about a player's coach in sports. He was a student's president from an academic standpoint. Great leader of a great institution!

Per usual, I open my email first thing and, boom, there it is. An email from the Alumni Assoc. with the announcement that President Clifford has died. I honestly can't believe he was 87, he was always so energetic and, I don't know, informed/intelligent/knowing, I can't find the word...

I lost my degree a few years back and was issued a new one after President Clifford had retired. I really wanted his signature on my new degree. He still had an office at the U and came in regularly. A mutual friend asked, for me, if he would sign my duplicate degree and he did. It was a little thing but it meant a lot to me.

It truly is a sad day for the University of North Dakota and all associated with her. My condolences to his loved ones and to us....