SiouxSports.com Forum

Brad Kelley

UND92,96

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not acceptable and it is not part of the sport. If it was a part of the sport the clock would continue to run when it happens. There is virtually no difference between what Kelley did and a hockey player using his fists to damage an opponent's face to the point of reconstructive surgery. Both acts are equally sickening.

Thank you for a reasonable response and I do agree with you that it's not acceptible. I also have to admit Homer brought up a good pont that I really have never thought of and that was about the Baseball analogy. I don't agree with it there either. I think however that most fights in Baseball come from pitchers throwing at the head not the body. Either way fighting is wrong. Ok back to the original topic and thanks to those who replied without the vitriole and venom that is usually associated with Bison-Sioux topics. On the topic of the young man in this thread I hope he gets help.

Thank you for a reasonable response and I do agree with you that it's not acceptible. I also have to admit Homer brought up a good pont that I really have never thought of and that was about the Baseball analogy. I don't agree with it there either. I think however that most fights in Baseball come from pitchers throwing at the head not the body. Either way fighting is wrong. Ok back to the original topic and thanks to those who replied without the vitriole and venom that is usually associated with Bison-Sioux topics. On the topic of the young man in this thread I hope he gets help.

Reports state that 90% of parents have spanked their children. We all know this is out of anger, loss of self control, or sometimes even fear.

Reports state that 90% of parents have spanked their children. We all know this is out of anger, loss of self control, or sometimes even fear.

Or perhaps it is out of......gulp.....DISCIPLINE? You know, that little thing that most parents don't do anymore. I agree that some people cross the line into abuse, but nothing wrong with spanking for discipline under the right circumstances. There has been a direct correlation that over the last 20 years or so that bleeding hearts have tried to eliminate spanking, there has been an equal rise in out of control kids. Not the only factor, but I have no doubt it is a factor.

Spanking is an outdated and flawed form of discipline. 30-40 years ago parents didn't know any better, but with all of the research that has been done in the modern era by child psychologists there is no excuse for any parent spanking a child in this day and age. Studies have proven that spanking teaches children that if somebody is doing something you don't like, and you're bigger than they are, that you have the right to hit them. Children who are spanked are much more likely to become bullies than children who are not spanked. That isn't to imply that parents shouldn't discipline their children, just that they should use more civilized methods. Taking away privileges (such as TV, internet, video games, etc...) is a much more effective method that does not leave the child feeling violated and intimidated in their own home. There are many out of control kids today because there are many parents who don't take the time to teach them right from right. Spanking kids does not teach them right from wrong, it only teaches them that you can hit people if you don't like what they're doing and you're bigger than they are.

Studies conducted by whom? The bleeding hearts....of course. All I know is that kids behaved a lot differently, and a lot better, when the potential punishment involved more than just a "talking to".

Spanking is an outdated and flawed form of discipline. 30-40 years ago parents didn't know any better, but with all of the research that has been done in the modern era by child psychologists there is no excuse for any parent spanking a child in this day and age. Studies have proven that spanking teaches children that if somebody is doing something you don't like, and you're bigger than they are, that you have the right to hit them. Children who are spanked are much more likely to become bullies than children who are not spanked. That isn't to imply that parents shouldn't discipline their children, just that they should use more civilized methods. Taking away privileges (such as TV, internet, video games, etc...) is a much more effective method that does not leave the child feeling violated and intimidated in their own home. There are many out of control kids today because there are many parents who don't take the time to teach them right from right. Spanking kids does not teach them right from wrong, it only teaches them that you can hit people if you don't like what they're doing and you're bigger than they are.

Since we're completely off topic, is spanking a dog ok Dave? My dogs can't talk to me, but when they get spanked, they understand the point I am trying to make.

If a dog can get it by being spanked and not understand a word I am saying, do you think it's possible that kids can get it too by being spanked and understanding a parent's words?

Geez, another internet site with a bunch of people sitting 'round talking about how they spank ... :angry:

Fighting in hockey is a boorish tradition that has nostalgic mystique attached to it.

Am I pro-fighting? No. But it does have its place in hockey (as long as "the fighter's code" is followed). But not amongst the general populace.

As much as I hate to say it, a real fight (to end it and be done) is a better solution than the non-sense I saw involving Albert Hainsworth stomping an opponent on the field (a few years back), or that non-sense in Super Bowl XLIII where Pittsburgh's Harrison took a shot in the "swimsuit area" from AZ's Francisco and sucker-punched back: Square up and settle it on equal footing (fighter's code), like men, there boys.

I know by replying to this I am only just adding more posts to an off-topic thread, but since it is already at the top of the list, here it goes anyways.

Can we PLEASE stop posting off-topic on a thread like this? It just keeps bringing an already unfortunately painful thread back to the top of the list. I think it's safe to say that this thread can be locked for the time being. The details of the topic at hand have obviously already been discussed at great length. If something relevant comes out again, then have at it.

I guess we know what form of punishment Brad Kelley's parents chose.

Okay, I admit the wording was poor on that one. What I meant to say is they tend to be less compassionate than those of us on the left.
Unbelievable - you follow a monumentally moronic statement with another one. Quit while you are behind. You are apparently really quite full of yourself. I'm glad we don't live in a "world according to DaveK". Congrats - you have become the second poster to make my "ignore" list. Enough is enough.

So what? Those who lean to the right are not exactly nice people. Spanking is the gateway to more extreme forms of abuse, and it causes a lifetime of hurt & resentment.

I am not hurt, nor do I resent my parents. When I got the belt, I completely deserved it and didn't repeat the offense. I guess I don't fit into the nice little box you have built for all the children of the world.

I will also agree with others that this thread is no longer on topic and should be closed. The Brad Kelley incident was unfortunate and the court system will take care of it. This thread is turning into a pissing match between a few posters who don't see eye to eye...please close...thank you.