• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final Five

CC over SCSU

UMD over UND (EXPECT it this year)

UM over CC

UMD over UM

see you october 4th

I can certainly see why a UMD fan is so cocky, coming off a 22-15-5 record, 5th place in the WCHA and no NCAA tournament appearance. While the Sioux consider last year a disappointment, Dogs fans now think they will win the league. Based upon history (4 total NCAA appearances, no NCAA championships, and losing records from 1998-2002), that is certainly a reasonable assumption that they will beat the Sioux next year IF you are delusional. Rather than being cocky about winning a couple of 1 goal games last year and tying once in which your team was badly outshot and outplayed, perhaps you should act like you have been there before. Whoops, I forgot! Duluth really never has been there before.

Now please go lay by your dish.

I can certainly see why a UMD fan is so cocky, coming off a 22-15-5 record, 5th place in the WCHA and no NCAA tournament appearance. While the Sioux consider last year a disappointment, Dogs fans now think they will win the league. Based upon history (4 total NCAA appearances, no NCAA championships, and losing records from 1998-2002), that is certainly a reasonable assumption that they will beat the Sioux next year IF you are delusional. Rather than being cocky about winning a couple of 1 goal games last year and tying once in which your team was badly outshot and outplayed, perhaps you should act like you have been there before. Whoops, I forgot! Duluth really never has been there before.

University of Minnesota-Duluth

Isn't that like the University of North Dakota-Williston?

you took the words right out of my mouth :D

I don't mind smack talkers that much. If they can back up their tough talk with victories & championships, fine by me. If not, they should expect some serious backlash from Sioux fans--Gophers especially. It's open season on the Gophers this year--2 years ago they needed O.T. to win & last year they needed a diving Paul Martin to get them past Michigan. Not exactly dominating wins. We'll see if Gopher luck runs in 3s this year.

I don't mind smack talkers that much. If they can back up their tough talk with victories & championships, fine by me. If not, they should expect some serious backlash from Sioux fans--Gophers especially. It's open season on the Gophers this year--2 years ago they needed O.T. to win & last year they needed a diving Paul Martin to get them past Michigan. Not exactly dominating wins. We'll see if Gopher luck runs in 3s this year.

Your right Phoenix, I don't mind the smack talk but the UMD fans are beligerant. They haven't proved nothing other than they have great goaltending. That is all they proved last season.

As far as the Gophers, you can quote me right here. The Gophers will not three peat. Mark it down give me full credit.

Goon

Ummmmmmmmm.....

I think every big team has a certain amount of belligerent fans. I know that I am a mild mannered, polite, bastion of goodness out of the arena, but drop the puck and I turn into Henry Rollins :0

It is to be expected for fans to stand up for their team, but I expect it to be done with tolerance. Before that UMD fan posted, no one questioned whether or not UMD was competitive. I remember when we were at the Old Ralph during UMD's off years (pre-Sandalin). We used to scoff at them like we scoff at Wisconsin and UAA nowadays. If I were a UMD fan, I'd certainly take pride in last year. Remember they did get "boned" (heh, pun baby!) in the post season.

I don't think they have the defensemen UND has. I don't think they have the explosive offense UM has. But they have the goaltending both UND and UM would love to have. So it is really anyone's guess.

Bash away if you want from both sides, but bear in mind that a team that goes from the cellar to respectable in one year deserves a little respect at the least regardless of whether or not they have an NC under their belts.

And if it was all talk, we'd just yell "Gopher Rejects" over the boards all day and act like spoiled children. :D

Ummmmmmmmm.....

I think every big team has a certain amount of belligerent fans. I know that I am a mild mannered, polite, bastion of goodness out of the arena, but drop the puck and I turn into Henry Rollins :0

It is to be expected for fans to stand up for their team, but I expect it to be done with tolerance. Before that UMD fan posted, no one questioned whether or not UMD was competitive. I remember when we were at the Old Ralph during UMD's off years (pre-Sandalin). We used to scoff at them like we scoff at Wisconsin and UAA nowadays. If I were a UMD fan, I'd certainly take pride in last year. Remember they did get "boned" (heh, pun baby!) in the post season.

I don't think they have the defensemen UND has. I don't think they have the explosive offense UM has. But they have the goaltending both UND and UM would love to have. So it is really anyone's guess.

Bash away if you want from both sides, but bear in mind that a team that goes from the cellar to respectable in one year deserves a little respect at the least regardless of whether or not they have an NC under their belts.

And if it was all talk, we'd just yell "Gopher Rejects" over the boards all day and act like spoiled children. :D

With all due respect, we do not have to cut slack to anyone who is trolling on a Sioux message board with no purpose other than to: (1) tell us how great their team is and (2) tell us they think the Sioux suck. IMO, there is always open season on trolls on a Sioux message board. I won't start the smack talk, but remember the adage "don't get into a pissing contest with a skunk" if you want to troll and talk smack.

I also disagree that Dultuh got "boned." Granted Duluth was playing well at the end of last season, but the Pairwise is based upon an entire season. Recall that Duluth lost to Bemidji State and Notre Dame, and got tied by Alaska. Perhaps St. Cloud did not deserve a berth either, but UMD did not earn the right to play in the NCAA tournament.

They have one good goalie & a bunch of unprovens throughout their roster. Plus their schedule gets tougher this year. No wonder that town has a lot of alcoholics--their women's team gets more respect & national attention than their men's team.

For sagard's benefit, I'll back you and take the field also :D

If you guys really mean it, put it in your sig lines. I mean it worked for "Rabid Husky" didn't it? :0

This year will be the toughest for the Gophers. They will have to win four games in at best neutral environments.

In '02 they had to win once in a neutral against a tired opponent, and twice at the X. Even then it obviously could have gone either way.

In '03, they in my opinion (no disrespect intended, I certainly don't want the Sioux in the Gophers regional this year) had the easiest road to Buffalo AND it was at Mariucci. Buffalo also proved to be very neutral from a crowd stand point.

They got good draws both years in the respect that they avoided Michigan in Yost and the other strong WCHA team did not. None of the above diminishes what they accomplished in my eyes, they are just facts. They have unlucky in many years since '81 when I started watching.

The trick will for winning the tourney will be the same as the last two years. Get a top seed in a non-Grand Rapids regional, play your best hockey at the Frozen Four, get the critical OT goal.

Believe me, I wish I could say that there is no way that UMN will 3-peat and mean it, but I can't. Truth is they'll be one of the 10 (maybe even as low as 6) or so teams that have a legit shot at the title. I include, hopefully not because of Kelly green tinted glasses, the Sioux in this elite group as well. UMN has won the last two with slightly better than crap goaltending. That's more than a bit unsettling to me. As Sagard points out, sure UMN got some good luck the last couple of years, but they had a lot of bad luck the previous 22.

It's open season on the Gophers this year--2 years ago they needed O.T. to win & last year they needed a diving Paul Martin to get them past Michigan. Not exactly dominating wins. We'll see if Gopher luck runs in 3s this year.

A win is a win is a win is a win. Especially in the frozen four. Since the Don took over there has a been a change in Gopherville, games we used to choke away we now win, but apperantly not by nearly enough goals.

I will submitt your request to have his teams completely squash all opposition in the NCAA tournament to The Don. :D

Your right Phoenix, I don't mind the smack talk but the UMD fans are beligerant. They haven't proved nothing other than they have great goaltending. That is all they proved last season.

As far as the Gophers, you can quote me right here. The Gophers will not three peat. Mark it down give me full credit.

Goon

The only upside to the Gophers 3-peating is that their fans' heads would get so big they'd probably explode. I don't think "guys" like Scooby, Happy & the rest of Clowns, Incorporated would have enough self control after another NC.

Seriously, Goon, you pretty confident about them not going all the way again this year? Is your prediction based on a 900# psychic phonecall or a gut feeling? :D

I'd rather see the mighty Beavers go all the way...

Seriously, Goon, you pretty confident about them not going all the way again this year? Is your prediction based on a 900# psychic phonecall or a gut feeling? :D

I'd rather see the mighty Beavers go all the way...

The Gophers are not going to win the NCAA championship. Trust me. I am not saying UND is going to win it, they have a good chance but, UofM is not going to slip under the radar screen this season. Not with their goaltending.

I will eat crow at the end of the year if I am wrong but its not going to happen, I am that confident...

A win is a win is a win is a win. Especially in the frozen four. Since the Don took over there has a been a change in Gopherville, games we used to choke away we now win, but apperantly not by nearly enough goals.

I will submitt your request to have his teams completely squash all opposition in the NCAA tournament to The Don. :D

GE again took the words out of my mouth. I don't care if it was OT, a great D-man save or whatever you can think of. Face it, we won both those games, by playing a good game and having those chance things work in our favor. Deal with it! :)

Goon, IF we do three-peat, I will expect pictures of the crow nicely garnished on a plate! :0

WPoS

A win is a win is a win is a win. Especially in the frozen four.

C'mon, Grey Eagle. You know darn well that if UND had managed to beat Boston College in OT during the 2001 Frozen Four and become the first team to repeat in 20+ years, all Sioux fans would be saying it didn't count because the team was lucky. :D

C'mon, Grey Eagle. You know darn well that if UND had managed to beat Boston College in OT during the 2001 Frozen Four and become the first team to repeat in 20+ years, all Sioux fans would be saying it didn't count because the team was lucky.  :0

Luckily Pat I didn't have to deal with that scenario!! :)

I am recusing myself from the crow pie - I have never made a predition of a third straight title. Sure I'd welcome it, but way to many intangibles for me to make such a prediction. Plus, I don't think I'd like crow, WPoS told me it tastes a lot like eagle. :D;)

Hey,

Don't worry guys. I'll still be here even if the Sioux beat the Dogs 29-0. I don't really post much, but I do enjoy watching this message board. I love the game of hockey above ANY team. But, I was raised a 'Dogs fan. As for piddling on the floor...I haven't done that since '84 when Bowling Green was handed a goal in the final minute by a fleuky bounce off the boards that tied the game. You want to talk about heartbreak, try losing the Nat'l Championship game in 4 OT's. I'm not trying to be overly cocky here, I just think with the returning underclass talent the 'Dogs have, especially across the back and in goal, we have a legitimate chance to win the Broadmoor this year. Remember the CC game the the X last year. The 'Dogs left their hearts on the ice in a 4-3 OT loss to the #1 team in the country (at the time). I think we deserve a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Thanks guys!! :D