SiouxSports.com Forum

(PWR) PairWise Rankings - 2009

jimdahl

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course a Lowell win over BU would knock out the 14th place PW team, even if Lowell finishes below that spot. That might just take care of both Minny and OSU. Thus giving Hockey East 5 teams this year.

Since I will be at the CCHA games tonight, I will not know any of the other scores till I get home.

It should be a good night for hockey and reading all the comments in the morning. :silly:

Speaking of NCA$$, didn't something like this happen last year with Wisconsin? If I were a betting person, aside from my therapist being extremely pissed, I would go out on a limb and put $$ on UND and U of M play in the local regional. Perhaps in opposite brackets to maintain maximum B.I.S!

:silly: dodo dodo dodo dodo....

I'm with you on that one, WI was a buble last year and still got in.

:silly: dodo dodo dodo dodo....

I'm with you on that one, WI was a buble last year and still got in.

they got in becuase of the math of the pairwise nothing else. they also didn't squeek in seedwise, as they ended up being a three seed. notre dame was actually the last team in. how many frickin times do we have to go over this crap. geez louise. go back and look at the pairwise afterlast season and tell me where wisconsin got a break or a win added to their record to get them in-they didn't.

Thinking the Gophers will make it because its all about the Money honey for the NCAA.

since its prety much sold out it wouldnt matter if they are in or not unless they are hard up for consession stands money. the tickets have been sold, the question will be...will there be gopher fans sitting in the seats or mostly sioux fans if they dont make it and we go to that regional.

they got in becuase of the math of the pairwise nothing else. they also didn't squeek in seedwise, as they ended up being a three seed. notre dame was actually the last team in. how many frickin times do we have to go over this crap. geez louise. go back and look at the pairwise afterlast season and tell me where wisconsin got a break or a win added to their record to get them in-they didn't.

Well, Louise is a little confused. I understand the effort by the NCAA to make the selection process more objective by 'going by the numbers" i.g. the pairwise system. However, based on the following, which I was basing my previous observation on, are those really the most objective numbers or can and are they being used in a ruse for objectvity. This is from College Hockey News regarding last years decision:

"But the question begs to be asked ... WHICH NUMBERS?

The committee went "by the numbers," HOWEVER, if it went by numbers it used to use, it could very easily have justified putting Minnesota State in the tournament.

In fact, were it six years ago, Minnesota State would've been in the tournament over Wisconsin. Case closed. Minnesota State had a better league record, better head-to-head record, better overall record, and won the head-to-head Pairwise Comparison.

Thing is, with great respect to Maturi and his colleagues

we should hold onto a 2 seed, 3 maybe but i think the last 2 we get

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/yatc.php

if yale and denver win we'll be a 2 seed and go to manchester to play new hampshire. if denver and cornell win we'll be 9th, same with duluth and cornell winning. if duluth and yale win we'll be 8th and duluth would be 7th. then again will it really matter with how shi@@@ we are playing.

per brad's blog watty's doubtful for next weekend. the hits just keep on a rollin.

yeah that cheap azz hit is gona hurt us. davidson or toews will be battling for that spot for regionals. whoever wants it more

we will be a 2 i think. the sioux will regroup this week

princeton just tied, that may be the nail in the gophers for their season. wcha will have 3 in for sure

uscho blog

http://www.uscho.com/blogs/uscho/bracketology

even with a mass lowell upset tonight and mercyhurst win the gophs will be 1 spot back so they should be done and done

per uscho blog

Breaking things down a little bit going into the evening sessions, here are where teams can finish in terms of overall seeding:

1 - Boston University

2 - Notre Dame

3/4 - Michigan/Denver

5 - Yale

6-8 Northeastern

6-11 Minn.-Duluth, North Dakota, Vermont, Cornell

10-11 New Hampshire

12 Princeton

13 Miami

14 Mass.-Lowell/Ohio State

15 Air Force/Mercyhurst

16 Bemidji State

podPressPostSpecific: a:6:{s:15:"itunes:subtitle";s:15:"##PostExcerpt##";s:14:"itunes:summary";s:15:"##PostExcerpt##";s:15:"itunes:keywords";s:17:"##WordPressCats##";s:13:"itunes:author";s:10:"##Global##";s:15:"itunes:explicit";s:7:"Default";s:12:"itunes:block";s:7:"Default";}

USCHO blog update

http://www.uscho.com/blogs/uscho/bracketology

Why Minnesota is outBy Scott Brown • View posts by this author

Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009, 07:08 pm

Even after the afternoon games, Minnesota is still 14th in the PairWise Rankings by itself, leading some to ask how we can claim the Gophers are out of the NCAA tournament.

The answer lies with the Hockey East championship game between Boston University and Massachusetts-Lowell. The way it works out, no matter which team wins it hurts the Gophers.

UML winning is obvious — it gives the River Hawks the Hockey East autobid and therefore takes away an at-large spot, leaving Minnesota on the outside.

If BU wins Hockey East, it's also bad for the Gophers, but in a different way. UML losing to BU drops Lowell's Ratings Percentage Index enough to give the Ohio State-UML comparison to OSU.

That puts Ohio State into a tie with Minnesota for 14th, and the Buckeyes then win the tiebreaker. Wisconsin can get into the mix as well by flipping its own comparison with UML, in which case OSU wins the three-way battle for 14th and the last at-large bid.

Though I agree Minnesota is out, as usual I think USCHO slightly misstates it. I don't see that UMN can actually finish higher than 15th anymore, with #17 looking most likely. BU winning pushes them to #16-17, while UML winning makes them #15 or #17 (with #16 possible but quite unlikely). Air Force matters -- if Mercyhurst wins UMN is #15-#16, if Air Force wins they're quite likely #17 (with #16 possible but unlikely). I think.