SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA lifts moratorium...

nodak hockey fanatic

This early November Denver Post blog by Mike Chambers regarding expansion was generally trashed as non-sense at the time. Now, in retrospect, seems Chambers did indeed have good sources:

Conference expansion is on its way, folks. Because of the looming demise of College Hockey America, don’t be surprised if the Western Collegiate Hockey Association and the Atlantic Hockey Association go from 10 to 12 teams, with Bemidji State and Nebraska-Omaha joining the WCHA and Robert Morris and Niagara going to the AHA.

This isn’t just opinon. In true blog form, I can’t divulge my sources at this time because things are too political — which is why this issue won’t make the paper right now — but this is what is being discussed by conference commissioners. And it makes sense.

Chambers' Blog

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the people that are saying UAH doesn't have much Look at the pictures of their arena. They have a lot nicer facilitiy than some WCHA rinks and a lot of CCHA facilities.

Another item of note about UAH is their arena is named for a former REAL NAZI who helped the US develop the atomic bomb to defeat Japan in WWII!! How great would that be to bring them into the WCHA? Think about it! It would take the heat off UND for having a benefactor who was a "collector" of Nazi memorabilia with a staff who had a poor sense of humor BY inviting a college that actually HONORED A REAL NAZI!! THIS IS PERFECT!!! This is directly from the UAH website....

As the building neared completion, famous Huntsville artist Ed Monroe offered to donate a portrait of Wernher Von Braun to the center. Dr. and Mrs. Von Braun were visibly moved at his stunning work.

Probably not as "MOVED" as the incinerated residents of Hiroshima and Nagasaki who felt the brunt of that nazi's "work" but HEY!! We won....and now we can all forget it to take in a hick hockey team from ALABAMA into the wcha!!

USA!! USA!! USA!!

Big 10 conference please. No more WCHA horrific officiating.

yeah im sure there are just 20 refs sitting around that are top notch that arent employed that are considered big 10 refs in case they make a conference. keep wishing :D

nice sweep mavs!

Something tells me that SMN isn't a historian.

Werner had nothing to do with the Atomic Bomb. He didn't even defect to the US until Germany was out and, by then, the bomb had already been developed far enough so that Von Braun would have been a useless cog in an already greased wheel.

Werner's influence was in rocketry. See the V1, V2, and just about every early edition of rockets developed by the US after WWII.

From what I've read, Von Braun wasn't much of a Nazi. He supported the Nazi power because they gave him money and resources. Nothing more.

It's amazing what scientists can put up with if they are given whatever they want in return.

He only defected because he didn't want to be Russian. MANY of his counterparts stayed in Germany and became a cog in the Russian machine.

yeah im sure there are just 20 refs sitting around that are top notch that arent employed that are considered big 10 refs in case they make a conference. keep wishing :D

nice sweep mavs!

Nice indeed. They played great, it was long overdue.

And it doesn't get much worse than Anderson/Shepherd/The rest of the WCHA officials, so yes, the B10 could definitely put together a great staff.

Do you think before you speak...? I'm really starting to doubt that you do.

Yes, do you?

Nice indeed. They played great, it was long overdue.

And it doesn't get much worse than Anderson/Shepherd/The rest of the WCHA officials, so yes, the B10 could definitely put together a great staff.

Yes, do you?

Shepherd has been one of the best refs this year. Anderson is the worst, I'll give you that, but I've been saying it for a couple years now.

Shepherd has been one of the best refs this year. Anderson is the worst, I'll give you that, but I've been saying it for a couple years now.

Shepherd was average yesterday. I think he just looks good when compared to the worst ref I've ever seen, Anderson.

Something tells me that SMN isn't a historian.

Werner had nothing to do with the Atomic Bomb. He didn't even defect to the US until Germany was out and, by then, the bomb had already been developed far enough so that Von Braun would have been a useless cog in an already greased wheel.

Werner's influence was in rocketry. See the V1, V2, and just about every early edition of rockets developed by the US after WWII.

From what I've read, Von Braun wasn't much of a Nazi. He supported the Nazi power because they gave him money and resources. Nothing more.

It's amazing what scientists can put up with if they are given whatever they want in return.

He only defected because he didn't want to be Russian. MANY of his counterparts stayed in Germany and became a cog in the Russian machine.

just for the record isn't NASA in Huntsville as well?

just for the record isn't NASA in Huntsville as well?

One of the main NASA stations is there, yes. And it even includes Space Camp (yes it does exist).

NASA also has major space facilities in many places along the Southern US. California (Edwards AFB), Cape Canavarel (FL), and Houston, TX are the most famous of these.

Marshall Space Flight Center is the HQ of Space Camp and space exploration and space science.

NASA's HQ is in Washington DC, but they have 3 sites in California, a test facility in NM, a few sites around the DC area and VA, and a few more around the US.

===============================

Anderson isn't good at all, but I still maintain that Adam is the most dangerous.

• 2 weeks later...

Big Ten Network turns profit, will become "significantly" profitable this year

Hockey's going to be ruined by greed:

The BTN had its first profitable quarter, which ended at the conclusion of the last year, and has plans to expand in a variety of areas with more Internet streaming of sports such as women's basketball and baseball.

That means more money for the Big Ten, which already received a $70 million -- and growing -- rights fee from Fox, partial owners of the Big Ten Network, and has a profit-sharing arrangement with the schools in the conference.

The Big Ten Network needs programming and hockey programming could earn schools major $'s quickly.

Penn State won't be joining the CCHA:

Penn State authorizes study for 6000 seat hockey arena

Notre Dame won't be staying in a CCHA without Mich/MSU/OSU:

Notre Dame to construct 5000 seat hockey arena

Quite possibly Minnesota has other motives than sincerity in it's sponsorship of Bemidji into the WCHA.

Big Ten Network turns profit, will become "significantly" profitable this year

Hockey's going to be ruined by greed:

The Big Ten Network needs programming and hockey programming could earn schools major $'s quickly.

Penn State won't be joining the CCHA:

Penn State authorizes study for 6000 seat hockey arena

Notre Dame won't be staying in a CCHA without Mich/MSU/OSU:

Notre Dame to construct 5000 seat hockey arena

Quite possibly Minnesota has other motives than sincerity in it's sponsorship of Bemidji into the WCHA.

thanks for the info, but both links are the same ;)

Just for the record I don't see anything in that article that says ND is going to the Big Ten or not playing in the same conference with MSU and Michigan.

So think of it this way, Even with the Big Ten hockey conference you will still have the other powers like BU, B.C. and UND. It isn't going to change thatings

all that much.

Just for the record I don't see anything in that article that says ND is going to the Big Ten or not playing in the same conference with MSU and Michigan.

So think of it this way, Even with the Big Ten hockey conference you will still have the other powers like BU, B.C. and UND. It isn't going to change thatings

all that much.

Don't forget Denver. ;)

Even with Notre Dame not in the Big Ten, I can see a Big Ten conference formed with 6 teams. I think those schools would rather play less teams of greater stature than 11 other teams, half of which are no-name universities.

Don't forget Denver. ;)

Even with Notre Dame not in the Big Ten, I can see a Big Ten conference formed with 6 teams. I think those schools would rather play less teams of greater stature than 11 other teams, half of which are no-name universities.

DU and C.C. good point. The WCHA will still survive. We have UMN, UW, OSU, MICHIGAN, MSU who is the 6th big ten team?

ND is an indy and said doesn't want to join the Big Ten in other sports. Or do the big ten teams form a super hockey conference with some other teams?