SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX/GOPHERS SATURDAY

gfhockey

That's maybe how one would write the script, but unfortunatlely a large majority of the time that vicious hit comes as a crushing checking from behind or boarding with intent to injure (just ask Bina) because the player hasn't had a chance to cool down and will take the next opportunity to deliver redemption at whatever cost. If the refs let two players go at it right away, they are usually over and down with it and nobody is critically wounded. And the rest of the team is not brought into the fracas!

Yes. Thanks for saying it like I can't because Dave is baffling me.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's maybe how one would write the script, but unfortunatlely a large majority of the time that vicious hit comes as a crushing checking from behind or boarding with intent to injure (just ask Bina) because the player hasn't had a chance to cool down and will take the next opportunity to deliver redemption at whatever cost. If the refs let two players go at it right away, they are usually over and down with it and nobody is critically wounded. And the rest of the team is not brought into the fracas!

You take the game disqualification out of College Hockey for fighting and the stick work and checking from behind penalties would go down.

Also all this talking after the whistle would go down as well. That is why I like the NHL. The CODE WORKS.

I just re-watched the Jones incident. He started off standing for a second dropping the stick and gloves and taking the helmet off. He than slowly skated at Lucia. He didn't initially go nuts, he did so after the linesmen jumped in.

I loved Lucia in the penalty box waving his finger and talking smack to the sioux box after hiding behind the ref.

Ask Steve Moore and Todd Bertuzzi how well the code works. Anybody who believes in this so-called code lacks sportsmanship, IMHO.

Since you don't understand the code it does no good to rehash each and every point. Bertuzzi who you WRONGLY compared

Jones to didn't go by the code he violated it and was punished for it.

I think you all may have to agree to disagree as no one seems to be making headway in changing points of view...but as long as you're having fun... :silly:

here's my $.02

One of the many reasons I've come to love the game of hockey is the unwritten honor code. Where punishment for your actions is decided -not with pistols by the dawns early light- but by pugilists by the face off dots. Just as the thought of getting caught and having to face death in the name of honor helped to dissuade infractions in society of old. Fighting in hockey serves as a deterrent to those who would commit dishonorable infractions against opposing players. Instead of having an entire team gunning for the perpetrator's head, one combatant challenges him to settle things with fists. Barbaric? Well possibly, but after all inflicting pain is to be part of the punishment or there is no dissuasion. It seems this is a much more efficient and potentially less dangerous method of dealing with these conflicts. In a perfect world (although boring to be sure) the refs would catch every infraction and all punishments would be fair. Since no perfect world exists it seems that "the code" is the least barbaric way to go. It prevents 20+ guys from all seeking vigilante vengeance by any means they see fit, be they excessive (if legitimate) checks, spearing, checking from behind, slashing, etc. Instead the perpetrator is giving warning, challenged to fight like a man and face the consequences of his actions. In that fight with gloves or bare fists pain will be inflicted, but rarely will that pain be associated with the injuries that would have been on the table if the vigilante actions within the confines of the game were the rule. Since under "the code" the outcome of the fight is largely accepted as a resolution to the infraction in the player's minds, it seems to provide a speedy and fair resolution to the situation. In addition, the extra penalties that result will get some of the players, whose emotions are running high, to sit for at least 5 min if not the rest of the game, and will remove the target from the playing field. Most importantly it prevents some of the further cheap shots that would arise from either team in an ongoing retaliation spiral, and it brings teams closer together when one stands up for the honor of another! If players don't want to fight, knowing "the code" exists, they shouldn't break the rules-- no cheap shots, checking from behind, running the goalie, high sticking, etc.

*** if there was more honor and respect in other aspects of life I think the world would be a better place

Okay, but taking into consideration what you just posted, Jones went after a guy who was showing no interest in "squaring off face to face". If not for those two refs, Zach Jones may have become college hockey's version of Todd Bertuzzi... and I don't think any Sioux fan wanted that.

If you are going to cheapshot/spear someone you better be ready to square off face to face

John Hill in post game interview, to explain Jone's actions, "I think he saw Tony take down a guy in front of the bench. It was really just a little bump. Totally classless. At the end of the game, not necessary."

WHAT !?!?

Was it as classless as Stoa jumping Hextall at the end of the game last night? It's a good thing Baby Lucia did his Sue Bickel imitation and hid behind the refs skirt. What a dominant performance by the Sioux and what a complete collapse by the Goofs. To not even show up for either game has got to be a major embarassment for the Brown and Yellow.

Go Sioux!!

Exactly.

who ever has taken over the big screen & music really did a good job this weekend :silly:

What an amazing weekend. :silly:

One of my favorite moments of the night: The big screen shows Kangas with a little thought bubble above him that says "I wish I played for the Sioux" and the student section chants: "We don't want him" clap, clap, clap-clap-clap.

Good stuff.

After this weekend a former player told me he hates it when they put the thought bubbles up over the opposing players and do those types of things. He said the coaches and players know that the opposing team will remember that stuff, and they hate that its put up on the jumbotron.

In the post game interview by TH with Duncan, when asked about the Jone's snap, Duncan said, "He scares even us when that happens."
That was very funny.

After this weekend a former player told me he hates it when they put the thought bubbles up over the opposing players and do those types of things. He said the coaches and players know that the opposing team will remember that stuff, and they hate that its put up on the jumbotron.

I agree, our guys are better than that. They embarassed them enough without that.

Notice that it wasn't Trupp who was going to go after Lucia, it was a 5'11 210 pound bull by the name of Jones, who most likely got beat up by his 6' 225 pound bull of a brother growing up.

If the officials don't protect your teammates, you have to. It is that simple. If someone comes into your home and assaults your wife, do you wait for the cops to catch them in the act or do you unleash your own justice. Yes, waiting for the cops is the higher road, but I'd be hard pressed to look at my wife again if I stood by and watched that happen.

Congrats on the sweep. You guys gave the Gophers a beating the likes of which I have not seen in a long, long time.

I only wish the Gophers would have showed up this weekend. That weekend was no indicator of either team's talent. I'm not what sure what it was. But a sweep is a sweep. Nicely done.

Notice that it wasn't Trupp who was going to go after Lucia, it was a 5'11 210 pound bull by the name of Jones, who most likely got beat up by his 6' 225 pound bull of a brother growing up.

If the officials don't protect your teammates, you have to. It is that simple. If someone comes into your home and assaults your wife, do you wait for the cops to catch them in the act or do you unleash your own justice. Yes, waiting for the cops is the higher road, but I'd be hard pressed to look at my wife again if I stood by and watched that happen.

I think this is a good note to close on and maybe a good time to end this thread, we are done with Minnesota and no matter how many times we hit davek with the facts AND HE ISN'T GETTING IT. DaveK isn't going to change, he has brought up the same silly arguments for the past three seasons. Davek doesn't understand why fighting in hockey is necessary. Obviously he should be watching figure skating and there is no sense engaging him. Unfornutately there are a few of his ilk that would rather see a bunch of stick swinging gutless swedes like Ulfie Sammuelson turtle out ending peoples careers because it is expected and part of the game. No one has a right to answer these gutless acts.

The problem with that concept is that not all perceived cheap shots are intentional. The game moves so fast that sometimes a player might unintentionally deliver the kind of hit that some might consider to be cheap. Ya know, maybe some guys just feel like the barbaric act of participating in a fist fight is so far beneath them. It's not automatically that they're cowardly, maybe it's that they're more civilized people than to lower themselves to caveman tactics. I would never participate in a fist fight, even if I knew for a fact that the other guy was much weaker than me. It doesn't matter who "wins", because you both make complete fools of yourself for participating in such neanderthal behavior. Nobody should ever be forced to fight if they don't want to. If two guys both want to bash each other's skulls in, that's their choice. A person who shows no interest in fighting should not be attacked, period.

First of all, it's fine if the original cheap shot dude wins the fight. It isn't about hurting the guy, it's about standing up and sending the message that if you pull this crap you better be ready to back it up. That really does serve as a deterent.

It's also part of the deal that if you are man enough to pull the cheap crap you should be man enough to drop the gloves in a fair fight. I bet Jones was more upset with Lucia running away like a girl than the spear itself.

First of all, it's fine if the original cheap shot dude wins the fight. It isn't about hurting the guy, it's about standing up and sending the message that if you pull this crap you better be ready to back it up. That really does serve as a deterent.

It's also part of the deal that if you are man enough to pull the cheap crap you should be man enough to drop the gloves in a fair fight. I bet Jones was more upset with Lucia running away like a girl than the spear itself.

Exactly.

Honest question here. I didn't get home until the third period both nights and didn't choose to watch closely for some reason.

From this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOITMukHhmQ

At the 1:00 minute mark you see Trupp doubled over, at 1:06 you clearly see #12 Lucia standing on the bench looking along with the rest of his team down on Trupp.

Did Lucia really spear Trupp and then jump off as if nothing happened?

Honest question here. I didn't get home until the third period both nights and didn't choose to watch closely for some reason.

From this video:

At the 1:00 minute mark you see Trupp doubled over, at 1:06 you clearly see #12 Lucia standing on the bench looking along with the rest of his team down on Trupp.

I believe Trupp checked Lucia as the puck went by, then Lucia speared him and completed a line change (didn't see the spear on TV, that's just what some fans at the game said happened), which is where Lucia was headed when the check occurred. At first look with Trupp on the ice and some other Sioux players looking like they were trying to get after someone on the Gopher bench, I thought a gopher had pulled a USA hockey and sticked Trupp from the bench.

Jones lining up next to Lucia and dropping the gloves occurred on Lucia's next shift, I believe.

Sounded like Sweeney on FSSN wanted to get a shot of what happened from a better angle, but, they didn't have one.

From this video:

Sagard, this is a valid question. Do we know how long Trupp was there before the camera found him?

I do know that after the game Duncan told Tim Hennessey that the players believed Lucia was the culprit. Beyond that I don't know as from our seats we didn't even realize Trupp was on the ground. We couldn't see any of what was happening next to the boards by the MN bench because of our sightlines, players standing up, etc etc.

Probably discussed exhaustingly above... but I just saw the FSN interview with Hill... wow... cry about it. When he said of Jones, "it was all for show" I couldnt help but laugh... So actually throwing down is for show, but sending out players to spear hook and cross-check players on their backs is something that is not "classless"... Dude got ran out of AA. He's terrible (even by um standards).

Probably discussed exhaustingly above... but I just saw the FSN interview with Hill... wow... cry about it. When he said of Jones, "it was all for show" I couldnt help but laugh... So actually throwing down is for show, but sending out players to spear hook and cross-check players on their backs is something that is not "classless"... Dude got ran out of AA. He's terrible (even by um standards).

Yeah the UAA fans love Hill up there.