SiouxSports.com Forum

Eagles @ VIKINGS

gopherz

I was a little surprised when the announcers were talking about Childress's three seasons and noted that he is now up to .500. 6-10 1st season, 8-8 the next, and 10-6 this season. After being among the "Denny Green must go" crowd (the circa 2000 equivalent of Fire Hakstol for the young people in the room) and regretting it ever since, I find that almost compelling evidence to keep him another year.

I was a little surprised when the announcers were talking about Childress's three seasons and noted that he is now up to .500. 6-10 1st season, 8-8 the next, and 10-6 this season. After being among the "Denny Green must go" crowd (the circa 2000 equivalent of Fire Hakstol for the young people in the room) and regretting it ever since, I find that almost compelling evidence to keep him another year.

Yes, I think Childress has earned another year, but the lack of a leader at QB is killing the Vikes chances of doing anything.

Which one doesn't belong: Ryan, Warner, McNabb, Jackson, E.Manning, Delhomme? Clearly Jackson is not enough for the Vikings to win. He might be in a few years, but not this year.

I really find it laughable in today's Sports Arenas around the Country, that it is the sentiment of most fans to get rid of the Coach. Every message board I read is Fire this guy and Fire that guy...

Coaches, Coach and Players, Play....

When do we ever hold the Athletes accountable for poor execution on the Coaches game plan....?

In Teams Sports I believe those are the two most important parts, that need to work together and be on the same page. Then you can add in all the intangleanles, like injuries, the other team, officiating, luck, ect.....the margin between Winning and Losing is ever so Slim.

Anyway, I must have missed all the "Cut Terrell Owens" threads down in Dallas, because they missed the playoffs.....?

I really find it laughable in today's Sports Arenas around the Country, that it is the sentiment of most fans to get rid of the Coach. Every message board I read is Fire this guy and Fire that guy...

Coaches, Coach and Players, Play....

When do we ever hold the Athletes accountable for poor execution on the Coaches game plan....?

In Teams Sports I believe those are the two most important parts, that need to work together and be on the same page. Then you can add in all the intangleanles, like injuries, the other team, officiating, luck, ect.....the margin between Winning and Losing is ever so Slim.

Anyway, I must have missed all the "Cut Terrell Owens" threads down in Dallas, because they missed the playoffs.....?

Who is to blame about the Vikes special teams? Get rid of him/them! I can see Chilly being kept around, but the QB situation needs to be fixed...as well as Special Teams and maybe adding a WR.

The biggest problem I have with Childress is his complete inability to handle clock management in the last two minutes of each half.

This is not a one time occurance. Too many NFL games are decided in the last few minutes so it is critical that the coach and players manage this properly. With the specializaton in the NFL I am surprised a team doesn't have a coach whose only job is clock management.

There are at least three examples in the past month of his inability to grasp this concept.

Yesterday against the Eagles in the first half. Approx 1:10 left and first down at his own 13. Elects to run on first down which is OK, gains nothing and lets the clock run. Again, this is OK just run out the clock, the Eagles only have one time out left so you can run it out if you wish. Then for some reason he tries a pass on second down ! Even if complete it is unlikely to gain much, if anything. Instead it is incomplete, clock stops. Third down is a run, Philly calls timeout and forces a punt from deep in your own end (of course the Vikings do a great job of covering punts). Now Philly has a chance to get a FG before half when they should never have been given this chance.

Against the Giants, don't even need to comment, anyone who saw the last minute of the game understands how badly that was botched.

Against Detroit, the Vikings are leading 17-16 with 26 seconds left and facing 4th down from the Detroit 33. Elects to try a 50 yard FG. Detroit has no timeouts. A FG attempt here makes no sense. The only chance Detroit has is if the FG is missed (or blocked), then they get the ball at the 40 and will have 20-22 seconds left. If the Vikings punt it into the endzone Detroit will get the ball at the 20 with around 20 seconds left and no timeouts. The chance of winning the game are better by punting then trying the FG.

I will just throw this out there on Clock management, what they practice in practice and what happens in the Game, I believe to be different....I would ask you to ask yourselfs this question....?

If Peyton Manning were the QB, would we be having this disscussion....?

TJ looks incapable of making reads and normal QB decisions, he certainly is not any good in the 2 minute situation.

This does however fall on the Head Coach's shoulders, he needs to put a QB in that can get it done.

I will just throw this out there on Clock management, what they practice in practice and what happens in the Game, I believe to be different....I would ask you to ask yourselfs this question....?

TJ looks incapable of making reads and normal QB decisions, he certainly is not any good in the 2 minute situation.

This does however fall on the Head Coach's shoulders, he needs to put a QB in that can get it done.

If Peyton Manning was the quarterback there would still be problems, just not as many.

I doubt you would have stuff happen like the Giants game, but the Detroit and possibly the Philly games would still be a problem for Childress.

It's not just Childress and TJack, there seem to be a lot of coaches and QBs that have no idea how to manage a clock properly.

San Diego did a poor job of managing the last two min of regulation against Indy.

You all are overlooking one vital component here:

Who is "Childress' boy?"

TJack, that's who.

Did Childress get another year? Yeah, because a win is a win is a win and the Vikings had a winning season.

Do I expect the QB situation to improve? No. Why? Because Childress is too stubborn to admit that he drafted a QB that, at best, was a project and should not have been drafted in the first 7 rounds. He is NOT an NFL QB. The unfortunate thing is that there is no developmental league anymore. If there was, the first thing I'd've done was to send TJack to NFL Europe.

The Vikings D was pretty good.

The Vikings O was pretty awful with a few glimmers here and there. A career season by Shancoe (The Vikes will resign him but he won't approach this year's totals, you just wait). Adrian Pederson looked good despite the fumble problems. Berrian was their #1 WR but was called into return duties.

That's how you know your special teams suck. Most teams have #2 or #3 guys (if that) returning kicks because, if they go down to injury, it will limit the effect on the offense.

The biggest problem is that the Vikings placed them outside of getting any of the top performers they really need. They will need to pick some hidden gems in the draft...something, quite frankly, Childress has no idea how to do.

It's too bad Parcells won't leave Miami. If he would, I'd hire him right now to be the GM's consultant if not the coach. Get someone who has in the past had some ability to see talent.

I'd ditch TJack and sign a youngish backup like David Carr if the Giants let him go. Then you take a chance and try to get a guy like Colt McCoy or Chase Daniels. Daniels had an atrocious game against Northwestern and that might lower him in the draft enough to get him into a Viking jersey.

Sam Bradford won't be around. Tim Tebow would be worth a late 3rd or 4th round pick tops. If he falls into the 6th round, take him.

But they need a speedster like Maclin and a QB like Bradford (whom they won't get either of them).

Who knows what the Vikings will get. I wouldn't expect much this offseason as far as QB is concerned. If Childress remains, he'll again try to use "his boy" TJack.

You all are overlooking one vital component here:

Who is "Childress' boy?"

TJack, that's who.

Did Childress get another year? Yeah, because a win is a win is a win and the Vikings had a winning season.

Do I expect the QB situation to improve? No. Why? Because Childress is too stubborn to admit that he drafted a QB that, at best, was a project and should not have been drafted in the first 7 rounds. He is NOT an NFL QB. The unfortunate thing is that there is no developmental league anymore. If there was, the first thing I'd've done was to send TJack to NFL Europe.

The Vikings D was pretty good.

The Vikings O was pretty awful with a few glimmers here and there. A career season by Shancoe (The Vikes will resign him but he won't approach this year's totals, you just wait). Adrian Pederson looked good despite the fumble problems. Berrian was their #1 WR but was called into return duties.

That's how you know your special teams suck. Most teams have #2 or #3 guys (if that) returning kicks because, if they go down to injury, it will limit the effect on the offense.

The biggest problem is that the Vikings placed them outside of getting any of the top performers they really need. They will need to pick some hidden gems in the draft...something, quite frankly, Childress has no idea how to do.

It's too bad Parcells won't leave Miami. If he would, I'd hire him right now to be the GM's consultant if not the coach. Get someone who has in the past had some ability to see talent.

I'd ditch TJack and sign a youngish backup like David Carr if the Giants let him go. Then you take a chance and try to get a guy like Colt McCoy or Chase Daniels. Daniels had an atrocious game against Northwestern and that might lower him in the draft enough to get him into a Viking jersey.

Sam Bradford won't be around. Tim Tebow would be worth a late 3rd or 4th round pick tops. If he falls into the 6th round, take him.

But they need a speedster like Maclin and a QB like Bradford (whom they won't get either of them).

Who knows what the Vikings will get. I wouldn't expect much this offseason as far as QB is concerned. If Childress remains, he'll again try to use "his boy" TJack.

Childress is aware that they need a new Quarterback, expect the Vikes to sign another experienced QB in the off season.

The Wilfs unlike the Pohlads will spend the money necessary to put a winning product on the field.

Childress is aware that they need a new Quarterback, expect the Vikes to sign another experienced QB in the off season.

The Wilfs unlike the Pohlads will spend the money necessary to put a winning product on the field.

Signing free arents in baseball and football are two completely different things. Do not compare the two.

Signing free arents in baseball and football are two completely different things. Do not compare the two.

No its not and I will compare the two if I want to the fact remains that Ziggy has proven he will get players that can make a big impact the Twins owner

will pick used, old beat up, washed up players that aren't worth a damn.

No its not and I will compare the two if I want to the fact remains that Ziggy has proven he will get players that can make a big impact the Twins owner

However...It seems to work for the Twins and not the Vikings. Most people I know cheer for the Twins and expect a close finish and possible post season but with the Vikings a person is afraid to cheer becasue you just know they'll screw it up and miss the playoffs. Plus it's always an excuse...we almost there, or a fumble or a bad mistake, dumb penalty...etc. I quit cheering for the Vikes long ago. Personally....I'd like to see Childress move on. He's made to many bad decisions as the coach but as Goon said "a win is a win and making the playoff is job security.

However...It seems to work for the Twins and not the Vikings. Most people I know cheer for the Twins and expect a close finish and possible post season but with the Vikings a person is afraid to cheer becasue you just know they'll screw it up and miss the playoffs. Plus it's always an excuse...we almost there, or a fumble or a bad mistake, dumb penalty...etc. I quit cheering for the Vikes long ago. Personally....I'd like to see Childress move on. He's made to many bad decisions as the coach but as Goon said "a win is a win and making the playoff is job security.

3 years ago when Childress was hired if you would have been asked what record or how many wins in 3 years would be considered this to be a "successful" hire, I doubt anyone would have said they'd be OK with a .500 record.

The best off season move for my Packers and the other NFC North teams is to have Chilly back at the helm of the Vikes. He is worth at least 2 losses a season on his own. Poor play calling, poor game planning, poor clock management. This Viking's team was exposed for what they are...an overrated defensive team, poor special team's coverage and a one-trick pony offense. Whose available out there at QB? D. Anderson, Losman, Kitna, Alex Smith??? If they finish over .500 next year, I'd be suprised. CHI and GB should be better than Minny next year.

The best off season move for my Packers and the other NFC North teams is to have Chilly back at the helm of the Vikes. He is worth at least 2 losses a season on his own. Poor play calling, poor game planning, poor clock management. This Viking's team was exposed for what they are...an overrated defensive team, poor special team's coverage and a one-trick pony offense. Whose available out there at QB? D. Anderson, Losman, Kitna, Alex Smith??? If they finish over .500 next year, I'd be suprised. CHI and GB should be better than Minny next year.

Minnesota is going to have a tough schedule as well. They have the Giants, Carolina and Pittsburgh... There is three loses right there.

You really have no idea what you're talking about here. Comparing baseball free agency to NFL free agency is like comparing an apple to a chicken. The only similarity they have is that players are switching teams. Everything else from there is different.

You really have no idea what you're talking about here. Comparing baseball free agency to NFL free agency is like comparing an apple to a chicken. The only similarity they have is that players are switching teams. Everything else from there is different.

No there really is no difference if you picking up top free agents as opposed to picking players that are way past their prime or going cheap and that is what the twins have done lately. This doesn't devoid the fact that the Vikes suck at the QB position and the that twins are a bargin basement team. Lastly don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about because I have probably followed baseball longer than you have been alive. Not everything if an F'N contestt.

No there really is no difference if you picking up top free agents as opposed to picking players that are way past their prime or going cheap and that is what the twins have done lately. This doesn't devoid the fact that the Vikes suck at the QB position and the that twins are a bargin basement team. Lastly don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about because I have probably followed baseball longer than you have been alive. Not everything if an F'N contestt.

Here's the difference. In baseball, a team controls a player's first six years in the bigs. Generally, players don't reach the majors until they are 23-26, so by the time they hit free agency they are past their prime (except for the top-enders). Not to mention the fact that there are prospects in the minors readily available for much less. This is kind of the Casey Blake and Buscher/Harris situation. The Twins will get the same production from the platoon at less than $1m this year, when they would've had to pay about $6-7m for Blake.

In football, quarterbacks aren't readily available and by the time they reach free agency they probably have some good years left ahead of them. However, teams usually resign them before they hit it (at least the good ones). Not to mention the salary cap has a huge impact on free agency as well. Huge, huge differences between the two.

In Goon's defense I'll say this:

If Pohlad was in charge of the Vikings, there's NO F-ING WAY the Vikes would have signed Berrian nor would they have ever been able to land Allen.

They aren't used up has beens.

If anything, the Pohlads would have had all of the 36+ year old WRs and DEs come line up and give their lowest salary offers. Signed the best of the two cheapest and there ya go.