SiouxSports.com Forum

First time at UND Game

KC_Caps_Fan

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Plaza in EGF is very cheap, but a dive. However, it's not far from the downtown scene in GF, and Whitey's and the Blue Moose are right there. Take a bar shuttle to the game. After the Friday game, hit the downtown bars and follow it up with the Red Pepper. Saturday, you can flip a coin between the Moon and Paradiso, but since Paradiso is mexican food, Sunday may not be pleasant on the ride home. Before the game Saturday, I'd do a bar and bus ride again. Follow your same routine, but after the bar I'd suggest spending some money on a cab to get you to the I-29 Truck Stop for an order of fries and gravy.

I agree with most of your statement cept about the Plaza. Sure they are not the Canad Inn, but a great mom and pop run

buisness.

sioux rube, Totally agree with you about the folks who run that place they would give you the shirt off their back. :silly:

Sorry guys, didn't mean to offend anyone.
Not offended just know the place and it's owners before saying it's a dive that's all.

I got rooms reserved for the goofer series there and the price went up a bit.$60.00 a nite.Maybe they got wireless internet since I gave them a bad time about it the last time I stayed there. :silly:

Parrot's Cay

Yup - Parrots Cay is fun too - you might need to snag a Sioux Fan to hang around with while you are here so we can show you around town - you don't want to miss anything in your short amount of time! Another suggestion for Saturday would be a tour of the Ralph - call the Sioux Shop to line up a tour and you will see things you didn't get to see during the game on Friday night....

Yup - Parrots Cay is fun too - you might need to snag a Sioux Fan to hang around with while you are here so we can show you around town - you don't want to miss anything in your short amount of time! Another suggestion for Saturday would be a tour of the Ralph - call the Sioux Shop to line up a tour and you will see things you didn't get to see during the game on Friday night....

Sounds like it would be worth it, but will they schedule a tour for 2 people? I know they offer a regular tour during the week, but we'll still be on the road during the Friday one.

I just want to add that I'm bringing up a law school classmate from Omaha to the Ralph for the DU series. We made a deal where I would go to a Nebraska football game (his alma mater) and, in return, I would take him to my alma mater. The Nebraska game was amazing, and I'm certain that his experience seeing Sioux hockey will be the same. I think its great that people from around the country get to experience what college hockey is all about. And, despite people's preconceived notions about the state, North Dakota can be pretty kick ass.

I have also noticed that outsiders are particularly impressed with blackjack in bars.

Cant wait for the game and my post-game grinder.

Go Sioux!!!

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions from way back in September. We're leaving very early Friday morning, so we should get into town with time to spare for Friday's game. We'll be in town all day Saturday, then drive back Sunday. Looking forward to a great weekend of hockey. If anyone spots me, feel free to say hi...I would think I'd be the only person wearing a UNO hat and probably/possibly a Missouri hoodie. Go Sioux!

Hey everyone, just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions from way back in September. We're leaving very early Friday morning, so we should get into town with time to spare for Friday's game. We'll be in town all day Saturday, then drive back Sunday. Looking forward to a great weekend of hockey. If anyone spots me, feel free to say hi...I would think I'd be the only person wearing a UNO hat and probably/possibly a Missouri hoodie. Go Sioux!

Hope you enjoy your weekend of hockey at the Ralph. I also hope your bringing something warmer than a hoodie ???

Hope you enjoy your weekend of hockey at the Ralph. I also hope your bringing something warmer than a hoodie ???

Yeah, I'm bringing a coat as well...just figured I wouldn't have it on 24/7 and it's pretty nondescript anyways. I do see the highs for Fri. and Sat. are a little more reasonable than they were forecasting earlier in the week. 20s aren't a problem....much better than single digits.

I hope this guy knows that Finley most likely won't play this weekend.

That's too bad...apparently the Caps' prospects have been hit by injuries too. On the other hand, Dan Dunn is a Caps prospect as well, but I don't know if he will get to play this weekend for St. Cloud. I've also kind of adopted Omaha as my "local" hockey city so I'll get to see Chris Hepp and Travis Novak, who both played for the Lancers in the USHL last year.

Yeah, I'm bringing a coat as well...just figured I wouldn't have it on 24/7 and it's pretty nondescript anyways. I do see the highs for Fri. and Sat. are a little more reasonable than they were forecasting earlier in the week. 20s aren't a problem....much better than single digits.

Very true. I am looking forward to standing in line for the game with tems in the 20's instead of the below zero temps forecasted for monday and the like.

Welcome to SS. I hope you enjoy your time in Grand Forks. I agree with what everyone's been saying. Red Pepper and Italian Moon are awesome awesome!! Suite 49 is fun before and after games and across from the Ralph, get a fishbowl if you go there, they're huge and very good. Downtown is fun if you like to be around lots of annoying, obnoxious drunk people (Joe Black's, O'Reallys, Gilly's, Level 10, Rhombous Guys, and Sledsters, among others, are good places to go). Find a UND student (or a few of them) and make friends with them. Make sure they're drinking age, and they'll be the best bet to having a good time around the city.

Sorry you won't get to see Finley play. We've been hearing rumors he may be out for the season, but I hope that's not the case.

We drove through Kansas City on the way back from St Louis a couple of Frozen Fours back, and we got VERY lost. Just so you know haha

KC_Caps_Fan...

Might I humbly suggest the SiouxSports.com UND/SCSU pregame social at Southgate Grill and Bar on South Washington street? We'll be gathering there from 3:00 until 6:00 on Saturday afternoon. You'll get a chance to meet quite a few fans on both sides of the rivalry and take a look at the UND/SCSU Challenge Cup. We're also giving away door prizes, and Southgate runs a shuttle bus to the arena and back. Hope you'll join us!

Dave Berger

SiouxSports.com

Hey everyone,

Unfortunately, I was not able to make it up to Grand Forks this past weekend. I woke up on Thursday morning and saw the weather forecast and that pretty much did it. My friend absolutely HAD to be back by Sunday night, which would've been impossible the way the weather ended up looking. Luckily, we were able to change our travel plans on short notice at not a huge expense and fly out to DC for the weekend instead. I still got to see a hockey game (Caps won 5-1 over the Sens), but it looks like a visit to Grand Forks may have to be put off until next year. Maybe I should plan a trip a little earlier in the year if possible next time :lol:

Hey everyone,

Unfortunately, I was not able to make it up to Grand Forks this past weekend. I woke up on Thursday morning and saw the weather forecast and that pretty much did it. My friend absolutely HAD to be back by Sunday night, which would've been impossible the way the weather ended up looking. Luckily, we were able to change our travel plans on short notice at not a huge expense and fly out to DC for the weekend instead. I still got to see a hockey game (Caps won 5-1 over the Sens), but it looks like a visit to Grand Forks may have to be put off until next year. Maybe I should plan a trip a little earlier in the year if possible next time :lol:

Jeez, if you came before blizzard season you'd miss the total effect.