SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

CRR-

You're wrong about Detroit going with another goaltender that will choke in the playoffs. The Wings signed Hasek, therefore ensuring that choking won't happen to Hasek, as by that time he'll be injured and out for the season. ;)???

I'm shaking my head at signing Hasek. He has proven to be so fragile, I really don't think their goaltending situation is very stable at this moment.

I'm shaking my head at signing Hasek. He has proven to be so fragile, I really don't think their goaltending situation is very stable at this moment.

Uh... what goaltending? Detroit doesn't need a goaltender apparently. They just expect all the opposing teams to just lay down and give them the puck. ;)

In the fansite wrap-up of Tampa's development camp, they said this about Smaby:

"Top 2 pair players:

Matt Smaby - There's nothing spectacular about his game. It all scores at average or above. He's sound, smart tough, hard-working and he can move a little. Probably would benefit from and interim step through Springfield, then be here by the 1st of the year to stay."

http://www.boltprospects.com/node/1262

Since the only opponents were teammates, I suggest they haven't seen the most impressive part of Matt's game. Look for them to consider his open-ice hitting "spectacular" after they see him for a little while.

In the fansite wrap-up of Tampa's development camp, they said this about Smaby:

"Top 2 pair players:

Matt Smaby - There's nothing spectacular about his game. It all scores at average or above. He's sound, smart tough, hard-working and he can move a little. Probably would benefit from and interim step through Springfield, then be here by the 1st of the year to stay."

http://www.boltprospects.com/node/1262

Since the only opponents were teammates, I suggest they haven't seen the most impressive part of Matt's game. Look for them to consider his open-ice hitting "spectacular" after they see him for a little while.

Interesting follow-up ...

"On a related note, Lightning Head Scout Jake Goertzen, when asked to give the scouting staff's impression of Lightning draftees at the recent prospect camp (aside from Kevin Quick, who was singled out for his good play by General Manager Jay Feaster), gave high marks to goaltender Karri Ramo and defenseman Matt Smaby."

"there's nothing spectacular about his game"

That part really confuses me when it comes to evaluating defensive defensemen. I thought (maybe incorrectly) that the best defensive defensemen rarely have their names mentioned by broadcasters because they quietly and efficiently do their jobs and their jobs aren't all that glamourous to begin with.

What's spectacular about good positioning? good forecheck? even good outlet passing isn't all that spectacular really. Maybe they mean in the checking department, but nowadays some spectacular hits are nothing more than roughing or boarding calls.

Ovechkin and Crosby are spectacular. Even goaltenders like Cam Ward and Ryan Miller can qualify in that regard. But defensive defensemen?

Good defense rarely gets noticed by broadcasters or regular fans. However, when there are people focusing specifically on the defense, they should get noticed. If they do their job well and rarely make mistakes, they should be rated highly. Smaby is being rated along the lines many of us expected (I assume). He'll keep developing, and when they see him in game action, maybe they'll adjust their opinions.

"there's nothing spectacular about his game"

That part really confuses me when it comes to evaluating defensive defensemen. I thought (maybe incorrectly) that the best defensive defensemen rarely have their names mentioned by broadcasters because they quietly and efficiently do their jobs and their jobs aren't all that glamourous to begin with.

What's spectacular about good positioning? good forecheck? even good outlet passing isn't all that spectacular really. Maybe they mean in the checking department, but nowadays some spectacular hits are nothing more than roughing or boarding calls.

Ovechkin and Crosby are spectacular. Even goaltenders like Cam Ward and Ryan Miller can qualify in that regard. But defensive defensemen?

Scott Stevens was a defensive defensemen and his game was spectacular. We realize you are a big fan of Smaby, but I think you might be a little over sensitive to things written about him.

I see there's already been some commentary posted about Smaby. IMO he looked really good in the 3 scrimmages I watched. He got lots of playing time, wasn't afraid to shoot the puck and pinch. Most were impressed with his size and skating ability.

Now for some pics!! Check them out here:

[url="http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AcMWjFw2cNFFb4

Yeah I know. By staying I meant not playing for a different NHL team. Sorry for the unclear post.

I think you are misunderstanding things.

Ryan Bayda was not a member of the Hurricanes (or their minor league affiliate) last season. He was a member of the Manitoba Moose, the AHL affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks.

Eskimos- Yeah, I did come across as oversensitive. :blush:

Ryan Bayda was not a member of the Hurricanes (or their minor league affiliate) last season. He was a member of the Manitoba Moose, the AHL affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks.

"Eskimos- Yeah, I did come across as oversensitive. :blush:"

Realizing that you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

Eskimos- Yeah, I did come across as oversensitive. :blush:

Haha no Im not missunderstanding I went and watched the moose when Ryan was a part of the team. What I meant was that he hasnt played for a different team IN THE NHL. Its not a big deal. Sorry bout that. Like I said it was an unclear post, no biggy. Just didnt wanna get jumped on for it and make it sound like i dont know what im talking about.

• 2 weeks later...