SiouxSports.com Forum

Scouting: Texas A&M Kingsville

jimdahl

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only time I saw the Sioux play Texas A&M Kingsville they were known as Texas A&I and it was in 1986. The Sioux lost 67-44 but being 10 years old at the time I had a fun day at Memorial Stadium with my dad, I was pumped up before the game, a great crowd then it was kickoff and the Javs took the kick back for a TD so that sucked but Kurt Otto to Willis Jacox, it was fun lots of O and not much D but I think the Sioux won 3 games that year, what a difference between then and now. I predict Sioux 49 Javs 20. :silly:

Here's what the Lone Star Conference columnist from d2football.com had to say about TAMUK this year:

Speaking of big play QBs, that's just what the Javelinas believe they have in Garza. With him comes an added level of excitement in the Texas Valley, as Garza, a Brownsville, Tex. native, is known all around that region for his standout play on the high school gridiron.

But even with a year of experience at many positions, especially up front on offense, the Javelina's remain a shadow of the once - not too long ago, actually - mighty TAMK program that dominated the LSC for years. At least for now.

Major improvements are expected in Atterberry's second season, and many of the Javelina faithful are proclaiming it won't be long until other schools in the conference fear their presence on the gridiron again.

It could happen, but other than the potential for a good upset or two, it won't be this year.

I just can't see them giving the Sioux much of a game, unless UND is nowhere near at the level it's been over the past 15 years.

There are a good number of people picking Texas A & M Kingsville to beat UND on the d2football.com messageboard. Fans, get out there, cheer loud and help the Sioux whoop these guys!

So I decided to check out this website just out of curiosity. There are a few people picking TAMUK but I would say that it's at least 7-1 in favor of UND...sorry I didn't take time to do the math...

Here's the link in case someone has the time...

http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread.php?t=12126

Wayne Nelson picks UND to win 35-21 in today's print edition of the Herald. IMO, if the game is that close, it's not a good sign for the season. Even before the days of Dressler and Chappell, UND has traditionally absolutely owned unranked non-conference opponents at home.

It would be interesting to compare what the Herald had in today's paper for the season FB opener vs. what the Forum did for the Bison. The Bison had a great pregame spread and pregame coverage. The forum also ahd a great VB story. I wonder if the Herald has the ablility or willingness to provide D1 coverage for FB and for the other sports. Based on past performance I have my doubts. The Forum really improved their coverage when the AC made the move.

It would be interesting to compare what the Herald had in today's paper for the season FB opener vs. what the Forum did for the Bison. The Bison had a great pregame spread and pregame coverage. The forum also ahd a great VB story. I wonder if the Herald has the ablility or willingness to provide D1 coverage for FB and for the other sports. Based on past performance I have my doubts. The Forum really improved their coverage when the AC made the move.

I can imagine what the hardcopies look like. There is certainly a big difference today (and every day) in "home team" coverage on the Forum and Herald websites.

It may be appropriate that many of us express our opinion/concern to Kevin Fee and Mike Jacobs at the Herald. I would hope that the folks at UND are also requesting more attention now that we are entering the DI world!

The Herald had a "Game Day" preview of today's game...identical to what they have been doing the past few years.

It's funny that you say the Forum has increased their coverage of NDSU sports since their move to DI. All you ever hear from Bison fans is frustration about the lack of NDSU coverage and complaints about too much coverage for UND.

Either way, I would like to see UND coverage expand a bit. Especially since we are playing in a new conference. It would be nice to have some expanded knowledge about our conference opponents at least.