SiouxSports.com Forum

FSSN renews contract with WDAZ

sprig

One of the posters here emailed Pat Sweeney at WDAZ yesterday and got the following immediate response.

We have reached agreement on a one-year extension of the current contract, so it takes us only through the 2008-09 school year. All home men's hockey games will be televised, along with two road men's hockey games, and one home men's football game.

Time to buy the systems and get them installed, although for fixed system buyers/owners, the satellite is still unknown.

They need to start televising more than two away games. And only airing one football game is pathetic. I'm glad this contract is only for one year.

I'm becoming more and more convinced UND needs to take the leading role with FSSN. Yes, airing road games is a money loser, but it's a smart marketing expense in my opinion.

<cue someone to tell me to open my checkbook....> :D

They need to start televising more than two away games. And only airing one football game is pathetic. I'm glad this contract is only for one year.

I'm becoming more and more convinced UND needs to take the leading role with FSSN. Yes, airing road games is a money loser, but it's a smart marketing expense in my opinion.

It certainly would be nice to have more away games televised. One football game is pathetic!

I think the hockey team does ok re: marketing.

It is probably the 2nd most exposed/marketed team in the country, behind UMinn with its FSN contract. I don't believe Wisco gets the same coverage on FSN Wisco vs UMinn.

Is UND's coverage via FSSN really all that impressive? Even though all home games are televised, just how many (non-fanatic) homes can that signal be seen in? Not including FTA satellite installations, I'm talking about.

For UND's exposure to rival that of the UMTC, their games need to be available on something akin to a regional FoxSports channel. Short of that we're talking apples and oranges.

Televising more away games would increase awareness and interest in the program, which would more than likely result in higher attendance at home games. Actually, televising more games period (regardless if they're home or away) would be good for generating more interest in the program.

I just thought I saw that we lead the nation in attendance.

The visablity of the program is pretty high, locally and nationally.

UMinn has an advantage vs. us via TV in that FSN is available via DirectTV/Dish Net, while FSSN is only available via "old school" dish. If FSSN were available on Digital Sat, it might help recruiting (if we need help).

I was referring to football. There's no lack of exposure or interest in Sioux hockey, but the fan support for Sioux football isn't as strong as it should be.

Just MHO I think UND is going to have a tough time marketing Football for the next 5 season.

There is nothing to play for.

Good news indeed. Thanks for bringing us the good news Sprig!

One way to snag a few extra away games is with a motorized FTA satellite system. We always seem to be able to pick up a few extra games simply motoring to other satellites! (Then blind scanning, or even just visiting the visionplus forum where members post as soon as they find away games)

Lets all hope that the games will be on the same satellite as last year, this satellite @ 93

Is UND's coverage via FSSN really all that impressive? Even though all home games are televised, just how many (non-fanatic) homes can that signal be seen in? Not including FTA satellite installations, I'm talking about.

For UND's exposure to rival that of the UMTC, their games need to be available on something akin to a regional FoxSports channel. Short of that we're talking apples and oranges.

Cable doesn't reach out very far, but in addition to an unbelievable number of fans that have installed satellite systems, there are Sioux get togethers in sports bars all over the country. Without uplink to satellite, that could not happen. I really doubt UND can swing a deal with a major sports network like an FSN, but, even though FSN is major, FSNN is still just a regional network on cable, directv, and dishnetwork, and extends only a bit farther than cable FSSN, unless, the subscriber from outside region pays extra to get all FSN regionals. Not a lot different than buying a system, and, the uncompressed FTA form of FSSN, is way better quality than on cable or the highly compressed FSNN games on directtv and dish.

When you have both dishnetwork and a system like I do, and get the same game on both networks (Gophers at Sioux for instance), the FSSN feed via satellite blows away the dishnetwork FSNN feed. It's very much like the same sports event available in HD and SD, SD becomes practically unwatchable when you have the game in HD.

Couldn't agree more regarding the one football game. Is it the FSSN....or the REASN?

Cable doesn't reach out very far, but in addition to an unbelievable number of fans that have installed satellite systems, there are Sioux get togethers in sports bars all over the country. Without uplink to satellite, that could not happen. I really doubt UND can swing a deal with a major sports network like an FSN, but, even though FSN is major, FSNN is still just a regional network on cable, directv, and dishnetwork, and extends only a bit farther than cable FSSN, unless, the subscriber from outside region pays extra to get all FSN regionals. Not a lot different than buying a system, and, the uncompressed FTA form of FSSN, is way better quality than on cable or the highly compressed FSNN games on directtv and dish.

When you have both dishnetwork and a system like I do, and get the same game on both networks (Gophers at Sioux for instance), the FSSN feed via satellite blows away the dishnetwork FSNN feed. It's very much like the same sports event available in HD and SD, SD becomes practically unwatchable when you have the game in HD.

Im planning on getting an FTA system before the season starts. I am wondering if there would be any value in getting an HD receiver vs a standard one. I don't think Ill use it for much else other than Sioux hockey but who knows..

any insight you could add to help me with my quandry??

Recap of last year....

Living in Twin Cities, which is a hockey wasteland if you want to watch a quality product, :D , had digital cable package and saw Sioux vs. BC on CSTV in the Fog game that ended after two periods. I believe I saw them on CSTV one more time during the season.

My FTA picked up all the home games; no signal issues last year so got to see all those games.

Charter Cable started carrying a WCHA series of the week and showed the Sioux @ Mankato series. Drove down to Saturday's game; Sioux killed them!

Sioux @ Badgers was on 1 night I believe...Sioux @ UMTC on Fox Sports both nights...Went to Sensers on a Friday night and saw the Sioux against the Gwoz and DU...Drove to Duluth for the Saturday game when Trupp got hurt...Final Five games carried on FSN...Saw the Princeton regional game, don't remember what channel...talked my buddy who had Dish Network to upgrade his package for one day to catch the regional Final against the Badgers...Blacked out after one period in the National Semifinal on ESPN2...Did we win?

Now they are talking about having a WCHA Network/game of the week? It's definitely moving in the right direction...

I enjoy listening to the Sweeney...yeah he's Cheesy and a bit of a homer but still a 1000 times better than Hairhat and the Woogster on FSN...The only thing they need to improve on is putting the PP time on the screen somewhere, anywhere!

It's all good...with $12 gas (soon) this beats driving to the Forks...

Just MHO I think UND is going to have a tough time marketing Football for the next 5 season.

There is nothing to play for.

And when we did have something to play for (D-II titles), we still didn't market football. We have an exciting transition to DI FCS football that we can market to our fans. Once we are off probation, we will have a solid and loyal fan base to fill up the Alerus Center and travel with our team on the road. We also have to start marketing our DI basketball teams better. This hockey-only attitude that has dominated our athletic department for years has to stop. Now.

Hockey has reached a level where all that is necessary is to send out the season ticket renewal notices on time, release the schedule in July so people can start booking their road trips in advance and organize Alumni gatherings at the WCHA Final Five and NCAA tournaments. The program is self-perpetuating; it sells itself. That is not the case for our other programs. If we don't start giving our other programs more marketing exposure and better overall support, this DI move will be a disaster. Building FSSN into a comprehensive, multi-sport network is a good place to start. I say we do it starting next year.

And when we did have something to play for (D-II titles), we still didn't market football. We have an exciting transition to DI FCS football that we can market to our fans. Once we are off probation, we will have a solid and loyal fan base to fill up the Alerus Center and travel with our team on the road. We also have to start marketing our DI basketball teams better. This hockey-only attitude that has dominated our athletic department for years has to stop. Now.

Hockey has reached a level where all that is necessary is to send out the season ticket renewal notices on time, release the schedule in July so people can start booking their road trips in advance and organize Alumni gatherings at the WCHA Final Five and NCAA tournaments. The program is self-perpetuating; it sells itself. That is not the case for our other programs. If we don't start giving our other programs more marketing exposure and better overall support, this DI move will be a disaster. Building FSSN into a comprehensive, multi-sport network is a good place to start. I say we do it starting next year.

Amen

Im planning on getting an FTA system before the season starts. I am wondering if there would be any value in getting an HD receiver vs a standard one. I don't think Ill use it for much else other than Sioux hockey but who knows..

any insight you could add to help me with my quandry??

I see a fair number of posts on visionplus that list channels in HD that they scan in. I'm not sure, however, that many of them are KU band, they may be getting most from C band with the big dish. I believe PSB uses a matchbox pro to run HD through his PC. Hopefully he'll check back here and can better answer your question.

Matchbox Pro review

There are a fair number of SD channels that have AC3 (dolby digital) audio, the traxis will pass that through to a receiver capable of playing that audio, if you have the equipment.

Not only will the Match Box Pro USB receiver do HD it also does 4:2:2 and AC3 audio.

There are more and more HD sports showing up in HD and 4:2:2 FTA but I have not seen any Sioux Home games in HD yet. But just this week I watched all the Twins games in HD (On C-Band)

And remember with a USB device like the Match Box Pro you have to watch on a PC screen.

Recap of last year....

Living in Twin Cities, which is a hockey wasteland if you want to watch a quality product, :D , had digital cable package and saw Sioux vs. BC on CSTV in the Fog game that ended after two periods. I believe I saw them on CSTV one more time during the season.

My FTA picked up all the home games; no signal issues last year so got to see all those games.

Charter Cable started carrying a WCHA series of the week and showed the Sioux @ Mankato series. Drove down to Saturday's game; Sioux killed them!

Sioux @ Badgers was on 1 night I believe...Sioux @ UMTC on Fox Sports both nights...Went to Sensers on a Friday night and saw the Sioux against the Gwoz and DU...Drove to Duluth for the Saturday game when Trupp got hurt...Final Five games carried on FSN...Saw the Princeton regional game, don't remember what channel...talked my buddy who had Dish Network to upgrade his package for one day to catch the regional Final against the Badgers...Blacked out after one period in the National Semifinal on ESPN2...Did we win?

Now they are talking about having a WCHA Network/game of the week? It's definitely moving in the right direction...

I enjoy listening to the Sweeney...yeah he's Cheesy and a bit of a homer but still a 1000 times better than Hairhat and the Woogster on FSN...The only thing they need to improve on is putting the PP time on the screen somewhere, anywhere!

It's all good...with $12 gas (soon) this beats driving to the Forks...

I also live in the Twin Cities and had relatively good luck watching my favorite team last year. I would connect my trusty laptop to my LCD TV and was able to pick up all home and most away games. Between my SlingBox, (hooked up in GF and which crapped out towards the end of the season) the Sioux-Xtra, B2TV.com, CSTV.com, and other schools' web casts most of the games can be seen without a dish.

As my laptop has gained another year in age and is really getting slow, I plan to buy a new desktop PC this fall and place it in my entertainment center, directly connected to my TV. I would estimate the video quality of my laptop to be about 75% of a regular SD broadcast so I am hoping my new setup will be even better.

I also agree with you on Sweeney - It would be really strange to have someone else calling the home games.

I was encouraged by Comcast this past year. They actually started to pick up some of the Charter feeds, but I was a little disappointed when I asked them for a schedule of games they expected to air and they told me to contact the schools. It seemed like I would just have to tune in at 7 or 7:30 those nights to see if one would be on.

Not only will the Match Box Pro USB receiver do HD it also does 4:2:2 and AC3 audio.

There are more and more HD sports showing up in HD and 4:2:2 FTA but I have not seen any Sioux Home games in HD yet. But just this week I watched all the Twins games in HD (On C-Band)

And remember with a USB device like the Match Box Pro you have to watch on a PC screen.

My HDTV, and I'd guess most of the newer models, is set up to connect a PC (TV has a menu setting for setting up for PC), so, the HDTV can be used like a PC monitor, so the matchbox pro could deliver HD to your TV, rather than having to use the notebook of desktop monitor screen. I haven't set up a PC to do it, so I haven't bought a matchbox, but, it is a future consideration (although I'd like to own a notebook to do it, don't want a desktop interferring with my bigscreen space.

I did see many Miami games on the FTA Ohio News Network (79W) and also scanned in some ECAC games and other CCHA games (don't remember what sat they were on) last winter. I also paid for the dishnetwork multisports pak just to watch the Sioux at Denver on FSRM, and, although I kept the sports pak until spring, I watched very little hockey on dish (other than Gopher or Wisco games on FSNN), since I was always watching other games on my FTA system.

My HDTV, and I'd guess most of the newer models, is set up to connect a PC (TV has a menu setting for setting up for PC), so, the HDTV can be used like a PC monitor, so the matchbox pro could deliver HD to your TV, rather than having to use the notebook of desktop monitor screen. I haven't set up a PC to do it, so I haven't bought a matchbox, but, it is a future consideration (although I'd like to own a notebook to do it, don't want a desktop interferring with my bigscreen space.

I did see many Miami games on the FTA Ohio News Network (79W) and also scanned in some ECAC games and other CCHA games (don't remember what sat they were on) last winter. I also paid for the dishnetwork multisports pak just to watch the Sioux at Denver on FSRM, and, although I kept the sports pak until spring, I watched very little hockey on dish (other than Gopher or Wisco games on FSNN), since I was always watching other games on my FTA system.

yeah, it seemed like Miami and Michigan were favorites on CSTV...

Guess that's true, I didn't watch much CSTV, I found CCHA games on FTA stations scanned in with the traxis. CSTV is not available FTA.

Televising more away games would increase awareness and interest in the program, which would more than likely result in higher attendance at home games. Actually, televising more games period (regardless if they're home or away) would be good for generating more interest in the program.

comeon guys

you market things to make money so it would not be a good marketing expense if it loses money

also - how can you get any higher home attendance than every game being a sell-out exept for the one Sunday afternoon game against the beavers - if I remember correctly

I - for selfish reason only (like most I imagine) would like to see more games - but I then again - I go to about 6-8 away games anyway being a metropolitan minny resident

thought - perhaps they could increase the cost of advertising for the away games as the veiwership would be 11,500 higher than the home games.

Dishnetwork has announced the following additions to HD:

The new HD channels that will be added on August 1 are:

ActionMax HD (DISH Network Ch. 313)

CBS College Sports HD (Ch. 152)

Lifetime HD (Ch. 108)

Lifetime Movie Network HD (Ch. 109)

Planet Green HD (Ch. 194)

Encore HD (Ch. 340)

HBO 2 HD (Ch. 301)

HBO Comedy HD (Ch. 307)

HBO Family HD (Ch. 305)

HBO Latino HD (Ch. 309)

HBO Signature HD (Ch. 302)

HBO West HD (Ch. 303)

HBO Zone HD (Ch. 308)

Starz Comedy HD (Ch. 354)

Starz Edge HD (Ch. 352)

Starz Kids & Family HD (Ch. 356)

Starz West HD (Ch. 351)

Dish also said it's introducing a new programming package called TurboHD, which is four different HD-only packages starting with a $24.99 a month offer.

Looks like those who want may get to watch the CCHA in HD (CSTV=CBS CS)