SiouxSports.com Forum

2008-09 Schedule

bincitysioux

Coach Jones said on the radio this week that the schedule could be released within two weeks. I won't get my hopes up, because we've heard that before and were left to wait for several months. Here is what I have heard so far, no big news:

Dec. 30 UM-Crookston

TBA Seattle

TBA South Dakota

TBA SIU-Edwardsville

TBA @ Seattle

TBA @ South Dakota

TBA @ SIU-Edwardsville

TBA @ UW-Green Bay

TBA @ Northern Colorado

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Jones said on the radio this week that the schedule could be released within two weeks. I won't get my hopes up, because we've heard that before and were left to wait for several months. Here is what I have heard so far, no big news:

Dec. 30 UM-Crookston

TBA Seattle

TBA South Dakota

TBA SIU-Edwardsville

TBA @ Seattle

TBA @ South Dakota

TBA @ SIU-Edwardsville

TBA @ UW-Green Bay

TBA @ Northern Colorado

Be a waste of money to get season tickets..........probably for the next 3 years or so!!!

I agree. It makes more sense to buy single game tickets to the 4 or 5 games that interest you.

If you can afford season tickets, I would ask that you "suck it up" and buy season tickets. The kids deserve our support and the Athletic Department needs our $!

Wow, I listed 9 games (UWGB and UNC are tentative) and some of you are throwing the team under the bus! :D

South Dakota, Seattle, and SIU-Edwardsville will be the best home games of the season, for sure. I thought last year's schedule was a pretty darn good DII schedule. A big upgrade over what Glas had put together in his last few years. And just being able to Seattle and SIU-E, to makes the schedule better.

Oh wait, I get it............since this is our first year of DI, some of you were expecting Duke, UCLA, and Michigan to come to the Betty, right?

I think that we all understand that schedules will be difficult. I was not saying that I won't support UND or BB but for me it makes more sense to buy single game tickets to some of the games I am interested in. This may mean that I can increase my contribution to the fighting sioux club or donate to other campaigns (indoor practice facility). I am not a huge BB fan that I have an interest seeing the men or women play Mayville or Crookston, I admit it (feel free to blast me). I do have a problem with season ticket holders that do not use their tickets. It means that reservered seats (the best in the arena) aren't used. Heck look at the hockey games, there are lower bowl seats that go unused because someone or some company has season tickets and only uses a portion of them or only for a select few games (i.e MN).

This isn't something that I am willing to do, but I will continue to support UND, Fighting Sioux Athletics and the BB program. I'm sorry if my post came acrossed as throwing the team under the bus, that was far from my intent.

I agree. It makes more sense to buy single game tickets to the 4 or 5 games that interest you.

UND Fan is right. Perfect examples of front-running fans who aren't very loyal to the programs and UND. And that's fine, it just shows their true colors. To each their own, I guess.

The kids deserve the support no matter who they are playing. ESPECIALLY during the transition. That is when it will be needed the most. If you won't support the teams during the transition hard times, then don't support them 5 years from now either when the schedule has taken a turn for the better and conference affiliations come true. Attitudes like that are embarrassing.

Dec. 30 UM-Crookston

TBA Seattle

TBA South Dakota

TBA SIU-Edwardsville

TBA @ Seattle

TBA @ South Dakota

TBA @ SIU-Edwardsville

TBA @ UW-Green Bay

TBA @ Northern Colorado

You've got 4 home games listed. You can go ahead and add Mayville, Minot, Dickinson, and Valley City to that list. Maybe Mary also. If not buying season tickets makes me a bad guy then so be it. I'll watch USD when they come to town and maybe Green Bay. But I'm not spending alot of money to watch DAC teams play at the Betty. The DAC plays conference games on Friday's and Saturday's, its 40 miles to Mayville and $8-$10 to see doubleheaders of DAC competition. I'll watch em play each other if its all the same to you.

You've got 4 home games listed. You can go ahead and add Mayville, Minot, Dickinson, and Valley City to that list. Maybe Mary also. If not buying season tickets makes me a bad guy then so be it. I'll watch USD when they come to town and maybe Green Bay. But I'm not spending alot of money to watch DAC teams play at the Betty. The DAC plays conference games on Friday's and Saturday's, its 40 miles to Mayville and $8-$10 to see doubleheaders of DAC competition. I'll watch em play each other if its all the same to you.

Welcome to the joys of Division I - It's going to be a crappy transition period for all sports except football ( the only one with IA to compete in), and the coach who was pushing for the move-up has found a better school. I think that it's iffy for all sports at this time - a successful move-up is not guarenteed for any sport, with the minor men's sports in serious danger. The tough part now is the need to raise major funds while putting out a schedule that is less than desirable. I think attendence will suffer for all sports except hockey. I too have very little interest in watching us play Valley City in men's or women's BB. My prediction is that the drive for money and additional charges to loyal fans is going to irritate almost everyone.

Let me know the next time you are in Mayville. I go to alot of the Comet's athletic games. The DAC is a fun conference to follow. And I guess I don't see why people are so worked up about a schedule that isn't even out yet. We have been seeing these DAC and NSIC schools on our schedules for years and years in all of our sports. The only thing about it now is that as we go through the transition we will hopefully see less of these schools and more schools that are similar to UND. The NCAA limits the number of non-DI games in basketball to a very small number. (Somebody who has memorized the NCAA manual help me out. I think it is 2 regular season plus 1 or 2 exhibition?)

Welcome to the joys of Division I - It's going to be a crappy transition period for all sports except football ( the only one with IA to compete in), and the coach who was pushing for the move-up has found a different school.

Fixed it for ya. :D

Let me know the next time you are in Mayville. I go to alot of the Comet's athletic games. The DAC is a fun conference to follow. And I guess I don't see why people are so worked up about a schedule that isn't even out yet. We have been seeing these DAC and NSIC schools on our schedules for years and years in all of our sports. The only thing about it now is that as we go through the transition we will hopefully see less of these schools and more schools that are similar to UND. The NCAA limits the number of non-DI games in basketball to a very small number. (Somebody who has memorized the NCAA manual help me out. I think it is 2 regular season plus 1 or 2 exhibition?)

Next year, UND could play an all DIII schedule if they wanted to as long as they play 25 games. Other than the minimum number of contests, the rest of the scheduling requirements don't kick in until the second year of the reclassification(explor. year + 4 reclass. years).*

Starting in the 2009-10 season, UND will be allowed 4 non-DI games per year.** Since non-DI exhibition games may be used as an exemption to the maximum number of contests, many schools schedule one or two non-DI's as their exhibition games.***

*20.5 CHANGE OF DIVISION MEMBERSHIP

20.5.2.2.2 First Year. During the first year of reclassification, an institution must satisfy the following requirements:

(a) Compliance with all minimum contests and participation requirements for sports sponsorship as set forth in Bylaw 20.9.4.3;

(c ) Apply all Division I legislation except scheduling requirements and continuing eligibility requirements (e.g., progress-toward-degree, five-year rule) for student-athletes who are completing their final season of competition and were enrolled at the institution at least one year prior to the institution's petition for exploratory membership;

**20.9.6 Basketball Scheduling

20.9.6.1 Men's Basketball Four-Game Limit. A member institution may schedule and play not more than four men's basketball games in an academic year against institutions that are not members of Division I. (Women's basketball has the same requirement under 20.9.6.3)

***17.5.5 Number of Contests

17.5.5.1 Maximum Limitations - Institutional. A member institution shall limit its total regular-season playing schedule with outside competition in basketball during the playing season to one of the following (except for those contests excluded under Bylaw 17.5.5.3):

(a) 27 contests (games or scrimmages) and one qualifying regular-season multiple-team event per Bylaw 17.5.5.1.1; or

(b) 29 contests (games or scrimmages) during a playing season in which the institution does not participate in a qualifying regular-season multiple-team event.

17.5.5.3 Annual Exemptions. The following basketball contests each year may be exempted from a member institution's maximum number of contests:

(i) Exhibition against a Non-NCAA Division I Four-Year Collegiate Institution. An exhibition contest against a four-year collegiate institution (other than an NCAA Division I institution) played in the arena in which the member institution regularly plays its home contests. In women's basketball, an institution may play two exhibition contests against a non-NCAA Division I four-year collegiate institution during any year in which it does not utilize the exemptions set forth in Bylaw 17.5.5.3-(g), 17.5.5.3-(h) and 17.5.5.3-(j), or may play one exhibition contest against a non-NCAA Division I four-year collegiate institution and either one exhibition contest against a "club" member of USA Basketball, one exhibition contest against a foreign team in the United States or one practice scrimmage as defined in Bylaw 17.5.5.3-(j). In men's basketball, an institution may play two exhibition contests against a non-NCAA Division I four-year collegiate institution during any

year in which it does not use the exemption set forth in Bylaw 17.5.5.3-(j), or may play one exhibition contest against a non-NCAA Division I four-year collegiate institution and one practice scrimmage as defined in Bylaw 17.5.5.3-(j); and

(j) Practice Scrimmage. An informal practice scrimmage with outside competition, provided it is conducted in privacy without official scoring. Individuals other than athletics department staff members and those necessary to conduct a basketball practice scrimmage against outside competition may not be present during such a scrimmage. The institution shall ensure that the scrimmage is free from public view. In women's basketball, an institution may play two practice scrimmages during any year it does not use either of the exemptions set forth in Bylaw 17.5.5.3-(g) or 17.5.5.3-(h) or may play one practice scrimmage and either one exhibition contest against a foreign team in the United States or one exhibition contest against a "club" member of USA Basketball. In men's basketball, an institution may play two practice scrimmages during any year it does not use the exemption set forth in Bylaw 17.5.5.3-(i), or may play one practice scrimmage and one exhibition contest against a non-NCAA Division I four-year collegiate institution.

Aren't NCAA regulations fun?

That's fine. It's your prerogative. It doesn't make you a bad guy, just "bandwagon" that's all. If you are going to stay home during the toughest times of the transition, then stay home during the good times too.

That's fine. It's your prerogative. It doesn't make you a bad guy, just "bandwagon" that's all. If you are going to stay home during the toughest times of the transition, then stay home during the good times too.

Amen Brother!!!!!

I really wonder who fans that say they will stay home and not support the teams during the transition think they are punishing. Is it the players? the coaches? the Administration? You're only really hurting our teams with that attitude.

I'm not trying to punish anyone. Truthfully, since NDSU and SDSU left the league, I haven't attended very many games at all. No one hopes for a successful transition to DI more than me but financially it makes no sense for me to spend alot of money on UND bball right now. I've said several times here that I like the direction Coach Jones is going w/program recruiting wise and I hope they find a league ASAP.

I know that common sense and rational decisions have no place on this board. Sorry for tearing at the tradition of UND basketball

You've got 4 home games listed. You can go ahead and add Mayville, Minot, Dickinson, and Valley City to that list. Maybe Mary also.

Heard U of Mary's coach on the radio today and he said that Mary will be playing UND in Grand Forks this season, and will probably continue to play them throughout the transition.

Dec. 30 UM-Crookston

TBA University of Mary

TBA Seattle

TBA South Dakota

TBA SIU-Edwardsville

TBA @ Seattle

TBA @ South Dakota

TBA @ SIU-Edwardsville

TBA @ UW-Green Bay

TBA @ Northern Colorado

• 2 weeks later...

Nov. 26 vs. Upper Iowa

Dec. 30 vs. UM-Crookston

TBA vs. University of Mary

TBA vs. Seattle

TBA vs. South Dakota

TBA vs. SIU-Edwardsville

TBA @ Seattle

TBA @ South Dakota

TBA @ SIU-Edwardsville

TBA @ UW-Green Bay

TBA @ Northern Colorado

• 2 weeks later...

Nov. 22 vs. Bemidji St.

Nov. 26 vs. Upper Iowa

Dec. 30 vs. UM-Crookston

TBA vs. University of Mary

TBA vs. Seattle

TBA vs. South Dakota

TBA vs. SIU-Edwardsville

TBA @ Seattle

TBA @ South Dakota

TBA @ SIU-Edwardsville

TBA @ UW-Green Bay

TBA @ Northern Colorado

Nov. 18 vs. Southwest Minnesota St.

Nov. 22 vs. Bemidji St.

Nov. 26 vs. Upper Iowa

Dec. 30 vs. UM-Crookston

Jan. 13 vs. University of Mary

TBA vs. Seattle

TBA vs. South Dakota

TBA vs. SIU-Edwardsville

TBA @ Seattle

TBA @ South Dakota

TBA @ SIU-Edwardsville

TBA @ UW-Green Bay

TBA @ Northern Colorado

Nov. 22 vs. Bemidji St.

Nov. 26 vs. Upper Iowa

Dec. 30 vs. UM-Crookston

Feb. 3 @ Southwest Minnesota St.

TBA vs. Seattle

TBA vs. South Dakota

TBA vs. SIU-Edwardsville

TBA @ Seattle

TBA @ South Dakota

TBA @ SIU-Edwardsville

TBA @ UW-Green Bay

TBA @ Northern Colorado

• 2 weeks later...
Coach Jones said on the radio this week that the schedule could be released within two weeks. I won't get my hopes up, because we've heard that before and were left to wait for several months.

So it has been over a month. Has anyone heard anything? Anyone know if they are close to done/releasing it?

Nov. 22 vs. Bemidji St.

Nov. 26 vs. Upper Iowa

Dec. 17 vs. Dickinson St.

Dec. 30 vs. UM-Crookston

Feb. 3 @ Southwest Minnesota St.

TBA vs. Seattle

TBA vs. South Dakota

TBA vs. SIU-Edwardsville

TBA @ Seattle

TBA @ South Dakota

TBA @ SIU-Edwardsville

TBA @ UW-Green Bay

TBA @ Northern Colorado

From looking at this and the women's schedule it doesn't look like many double headers the only date from above that matches it January 13.

If the Men don't improve and or get some better teams to come to town this is going to kill attendance, as we know the last few years the Betty would be pretty sparse after halftime as many of the fans came to watch the women's game and only stuck around for some of the men's game.