SiouxSports.com Forum

We Still Have Hockey

NorthDakotaHockey

Everyone needs to calm down. This video is meant to poke fun at UND and the situation between the two schools. I am guessing they used the Hitler movie clip because it shows a leader that was once in great power, unfortunately, come to grips with the fact that he is no longer as powerful as he once was.

I don't believe this was meant to insult anyone, except of course the suits at UND, and it certainly wasn't meant to endorse Adolf Hitler or his beliefs or practices.

I can see how this would cause some waves but everyone needs to lighten up just a little and concentrate on things that are really wrong with this world like gas prices and Francisco Liriano's arm.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hate to agree with a bison fan, but i agree with hammersmith here. noone is saying the holocaust is funny, and noone is admiring hitler here. the video is mocking him, and in my opinion, is pretty damn funny. due to the recent events at moo-u, the author of the video removed it (and rightfully so) but i don't agree that this video was done for any other reason than good natured school rivalry. on a side note, people need to quit using wikipedia as a source. there is no checks or validity to it, it is not a true source of factual information. anyone can put anything they wish on wikipedia without reguard to its validity. not to say that most of the stuff on there isn't true, but it's just a website where people can put whatever the hell they want [end rant] :lol:

THis video was funny... yes they were potraying hitler, yes it was still funny.. And as far as the walsh hall nazi stuff, give me a break. Yes its totally wrong to throw swastikas all over the wall, but if u have ever lived in a dorm this among a thousand other things happen just about daily. Our soceity can no longer take any kind of joke or anything even close to a joke...

THis video was funny... yes they were potraying hitler, yes it was still funny.. And as far as the walsh hall nazi stuff, give me a break. Yes its totally wrong to throw swastikas all over the wall, but if u have ever lived in a dorm this among a thousand other things happen just about daily. Our soceity can no longer take any kind of joke or anything even close to a joke...

If you read the article, you would know there was more to the students abuse than a picture of a swastika. Even if there wasn't, for a person who is Jewish, that picture is as powerful as the KKK symbol is to an African American. Frightening, IMHO. Not funny then, not funny now, not funny in the future.

hate to agree with a bison fan, but i agree with hammersmith here. noone is saying the holocaust is funny, and noone is admiring hitler here. the video is mocking him, and in my opinion, is pretty damn funny. due to the recent events at moo-u, the author of the video removed it (and rightfully so) but i don't agree that this video was done for any other reason than good natured school rivalry. on a side note, people need to quit using wikipedia as a source. there is no checks or validity to it, it is not a true source of factual information. anyone can put anything they wish on wikipedia without reguard to its validity. not to say that most of the stuff on there isn't true, but it's just a website where people can put whatever the hell they want [end rant] :lol:

Almost any book contains errors. Yet they are considered a solid source because they were written by an expert. Wikipedia is true on almost everything they have up there. Yes it was added by some regular person, but they would probably have an interest in the subject and are getting their research from respected sources. If the site is proven to be accurate in almost all situations, why shouldn't it be acceptable to use? If I write a book on the Civil War, people can quote it. Never mind I don't have a degree in history and the fact that the book likely will be discredited by historians. You as a regular person do not know that. I say that the site has proven itself worthy and should remain worthy until we see changes in the wrong direction.

i have lived in a dorm recently and anything that could be taken as a hate crime is not among a thousand other things that happen just about daily in a dorm. Whether meant as a joke or not, swastikas are NOT something to joke about in anyway. It is the symbol of a group of people who murdered thousands of innocent people who were different from them or didn't agree with them. Swastikas are not jokes or anything close to a joke and racial slurs at someone are not a joke either.

The video was meant to be funny, but in today's politically correct society....not the smartest thing to do.

Ok I'm guessing that most of this thread is being made by people under the age of 30 because there is no way that aligning the Nazis and Adolph Hitler with anyone could be considered funny. It is a Nazi reference and that was among the most terrible times in the history of the world. Read your history books and learn what Hitler and the Nazis stood for and what they did. In Germany the production and posting of this video would be a crime, as is any promotion of the Nazis - it was that terrible of a time. (If you're thinking I and others need to lighten up then you just don't get it.)

If I was a Bison Booster I would be ashamed that the level of hatred over UND has reached this level. Their silence on the this video and their threads saying how true and how funny it is is a reflection on their integrity, their intelligence and their university. Don't let it become a relection on ours.

In reality it's just a game, it's all just a game. If NDSU wants to place the value and quality of their campus on sports so be it. While I am a strong Sioux Booster being a graduate of UND I know there is so much more at UND than just sports.

Another point, if, like so man Bison fans, you have to continually say that you are better than someone else then you probably aren't. If you have to continually say that your teams, university, fans, etc are better than you obviously have doubts in your own mind because if you truly believe it to be true then you wouldn't have to keep saying it, posting it. And the person who created this video is obviously an undereducated, racist, fanatic that I wouldn't want to associate myself or my team with.

Crack your shell and look past the criticism of todays world man. Im positive he made this video, with this setting and 'characters', for the fact that it went well with making it a comedy. Your looking at it way way too deep.

Almost any book contains errors. Yet they are considered a solid source because they were written by an expert. Wikipedia is true on almost everything they have up there. Yes it was added by some regular person, but they would probably have an interest in the subject and are getting their research from respected sources. If the site is proven to be accurate in almost all situations, why shouldn't it be acceptable to use? If I write a book on the Civil War, people can quote it. Never mind I don't have a degree in history and the fact that the book likely will be discredited by historians. You as a regular person do not know that. I say that the site has proven itself worthy and should remain worthy until we see changes in the wrong direction.

that is where you are wrong. textbooks, encyclopedias, or other factual information sources ARE checked for validity. they are written by authors who specialize in that area of study for the most part, and checked for factual reference by editors. i don't think the author of the latest edition of organic chem or early world history are just some average joe who may or may not know anything about the topic. i said in my original post that alot of the information on wikipedia may be true, but there is no way to verify. under the topic of the earth, i could put "it is flat" and quote some random made up source. not saying this happens frequently, but there is no way to know. i apoligize if i offended you or the creator of wikipedia, but was just stating my opinion on the matter :lol:

that is where you are wrong. textbooks, encyclopedias, or other factual information sources ARE checked for validity. they are written by authors who specialize in that area of study for the most part, and checked for factual reference by editors. i don't think the author of the latest edition of organic chem or early world history are just some average joe who may or may not know anything about the topic. i said in my original post that alot of the information on wikipedia may be true, but there is no way to verify. under the topic of the earth, i could put "it is flat" and quote some random made up source. not saying this happens frequently, but there is no way to know. i apoligize if i offended you or the creator of wikipedia, but was just stating my opinion on the matter :lol:

No offense taken and I hope you were not offended either. Just simply debating the opinion. I realize that text books are wrote by people who specialize in that are and it is checked by others. Errors do sneak in on occasion though. I guess I think you should be able to cite wikipedia if you researched the subject elsewhere and can verify the article is correct. Or you could always do what we did in speech class. Get the info from wikipedia, cite it as coming from some other actual book, and gamble that the prof is too busy to check up on it. :sad:

Ok I'm guessing that most of this thread is being made by people under the age of 30 because there is no way that aligning the Nazis and Adolph Hitler with anyone could be considered funny. It is a Nazi reference and that was among the most terrible times in the history of the world. Read your history books and learn what Hitler and the Nazis stood for and what they did. In Germany the production and posting of this video would be a crime, as is any promotion of the Nazis - it was that terrible of a time. (If you're thinking I and others need to lighten up then you just don't get it.)

Really? It would be a crime in Germany? Because let me tell you, there is a Nazi party in Germany even today, and I have personally seen a Nazi party rally in Berlin, and no one was arrested. And Wikipedia or not, the movie is a German movie.

As for the humor, I happen to think Charles Kupchella is one of the worst things to happen to UND in recent years, so of course I found it funny. I also strongly disagree with CMSioux in principle: Hitler can, and should, be used for humor. I'm from the Mel Brooks school of thought on this issue: A subject loses its power over you if you can mock and parody it. It's why his versions of "The Producers" are so funny. In the 1968 version, Hitler is portrayed by a drugged-out hippie named, appropriately enough, L.S.D. In the newer Broadway version, he's played by a flamingly gay theatre director. Both versions have you rolling on the floor laughing, and Hitler loses a bit more power each time. I can't think of a better fate for the SOB than to become an object of ridicule. (BTW, I'm a shade over 30 and an armchair historian, with WWII as a favorite era; I don't need to read a history book to know what Hitler did.)

I agree wholeheartedly.

Another point, if, like so man Bison fans, you have to continually say that you are better than someone else then you probably aren't. If you have to continually say that your teams, university, fans, etc are better than you obviously have doubts in your own mind because if you truly believe it to be true then you wouldn't have to keep saying it, posting it. And the person who created this video is obviously an undereducated, racist, fanatic that I wouldn't want to associate myself or my team with.

For a group so supposedly past UND they sure do spend a lot of time fixated on UND don't they.

PS - Read McFeely in today's Fool'em. :lol:

It was meant to be funny.....and it was done long before the Bison adapted it to our divison 1 move....

this had nothing to do with the current dorm actions at UND.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYu68SHWh64

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3VGZL5Q8lk&NR=1

pick the one you want there are only about 10 of them done for different teams and reasons.

What just completely floors me about this whole subject is the people who said they got a good laugh out of this! When I saw this video I was completely disgusted, and the same would have held true if it was made by a UND fan about an NDSU. There are so many ways to poke fun at a rival institution, but to give a person who exterminated thousands of people the time of day is dispicable. Maybe I was just raised differently, but I did not find it funny in the slightest.

What just completely floors me about this whole subject is the people who said they got a good laugh out of this! When I saw this video I was completely disgusted, and the same would have held true if it was made by a UND fan about an NDSU. There are so many ways to poke fun at a rival institution, but to give a person who exterminated thousands of people the time of day is dispicable. Maybe I was just raised differently, but I did not find it funny in the slightest.

:lol::sad:;);)

Yeah I felt the same way, I had a few people email me and say you have to put it up on the blog, I was nope, not going to touch that one. There is nothing funny about Hitler.

Yeah I felt the same way, I had a few people email me and say you have to put it up on the blog, I was nope, not going to touch that one. There is nothing funny about Hitler.

I beg to differ.

showimage07.gif

("I was just a paper-hanger, no one more obscurer. Got a phone call from the Reichstag, told me <gasp> I was F

I have an evil sense of humor and find a lot of things funny that other people don't but watching the nfl versions on YouTube (the und/ndsu version was already pulled) I didn't find it funny at all - just very uncomfortable! The guy that posted it was a pathetic hack doing a poor, overdone rip-off of a tasteless bit and didn't have the balls to stick with it and defend his stolen parody - but why would he? OH YEAH! He makes people that post stuff like this feel better....

How SouthPark and Comedy Central are part of "the conspiracy"

The guy that posted it was a pathetic hack doing a poor, overdone rip-off of a tasteless bit and didn't have the balls to stick with it and defend his stolen parody - but why would he?

I beg to differ. His was the best one I have seen, but maybe that is because I can relate to it more. As for the other part, he took it down because it would look to be in very bad taste to keep it up. If it was just Kup blowing off steam, it might have stayed up. But when both universities totally took it the wrong way (albeit because of the incident on campus), would you keep it up?

As for the other part, he took it down because it would look to be in very bad taste to keep it up.

yeah I can see that :sad: Thank goodness there was nothing in the subject matter that could be considered in bad taste :lol: Guess he doesn't believe in free speech either or at least he's not willing to stand up for the bad parody he ripped off...

I wasn't going to comment on this because I'm totally floored by the amount of negative attention this obvious attempt as humor has gotten, but to not "give them the time of day" means you would rather ignore them.

To use the old cliche: "Those Who Ignore The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It."

Maybe it was in bad taste (I thought it was funny, but I'm entitled to that opinion), but if somebody were to watch that, a child perhaps, and didn't know about Hitler and the German history, it gave parents a perfect opportunity to teach their kids about it.

There was nothing in that video glorifying Hitler or Nazis, so why, again, is everybody so pissed?

I wasn't going to comment on this because I'm totally floored by the amount of negative attention this obvious attempt as humor has gotten, but to not "give them the time of day" means you would rather ignore them.

To use the old cliche: "Those Who Ignore The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It."

Maybe it was in bad taste (I thought it was funny, but I'm entitled to that opinion), but if somebody were to watch that, a child perhaps, and didn't know about Hitler and the German history, it gave parents a perfect opportunity to teach their kids about it.

There was nothing in that video glorifying Hitler or Nazis, so why, again, is everybody so pissed?

You are right, you are entitled to your own opinion....as am I. I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm pissed about this video, I just find it in horrible taste. The fact of the matter is that we live in a different world nowadays where people find offense to little things like this video. As supporters of the University of North Dakota, we know all about the things that people take offense to, even if we don't find these things offensive ourselves. My great-grandpa told me about the era and the feelings that he had towards Nazi Germany and I study history at UND so I've learned about it quite extensively myself. You are right, simply ignoring the era will never make it go away, but I think there are multitudes of other ways to poke fun at a rival without bringing hitler into the fold. If a child is going to learn about the ravages of Nazi Germany then the child should learn it in the classroom from a teacher who has at least some knowledge of the background and not from some video made by a supporter of Moo-U! I doubt they learn about nazi Germany in hayology 101 anyway. haha I hope on the this subject we can at least agree to disagree.

well...let's see...the poster/poser of the original vid was TATANKA from Bisonville. A word that literally means "bull buffalo" in the Lakota language. Obviously he's not a bull because he backed down right away like a ndsu grad in the face of controversey (A real NO Cojones DOUCHE!) - so THAT'S a done deal.... :lol:

BOTTOM LINE: What a girl! (Maybe going swimming with LakesBison would make you feel better! - providing Lakes was wearing trunks!) This could have been his/her chance to defend everyone's right to free speech but like everyone else who complains about the PC movement taking over and "why doesn't anyone take a stand?" - HERE'S YOUR CHANCE! C'mon...stand UP TATANKA!! BE A MAN!!

Wow, you can't win for trying around here. :lol:

If Tatanka hadn't pulled the video, star and others would be bashing him for not being sensitive to the Jewish student who was harrased. Because he pulled the video out of respect for the bad timing, SiouxMeNow is all over him for being a coward(keep remembering that the video came out first). I guess some days you should just stay in bed.

I did a rundown of the Fargo Forum's talk page on this topic. Of the 97 comments as of this morning, one said it wasn't funny(a UND fan), three had mixed reactions, and 57 found it humorous; the rest were duplicates or were commenting on other things. Of the 57, seven identified themselves as UND fans or alumni; only one identified himself as an NDSU fan, though I'm sure there were many more.

Considering how anti-NDSU those talk pages normally are, those are some amazing numbers. Quite frankly, if I'm outnumbered 57 to 1 on a topic, I tend to question if I may not be the one mistaken(and I have questioned myself many, many times - I was against NDSU's DI move initially; boy was I wrong). Even among self-reported UND fans, the number was 7 to 1. While the majority is not always right, that kind of lopsidedness is stark.

I'm not saying, just saying ...