SiouxSports.com Forum

Disappointing...

siouxnami

FIRST OF ALL, THIS IS NOT A JPL BASHING, JUST A PERSONAL OBSERVATION.

You can throw stats my way all you want, but me being more of an on ice evaluator and a big JPL fan do not believe that he was as good as statistically advertised. I think alot of his success as a netminder were due to solid defensive performances in front of him (of course what goalie doesn't thrive from solid defense?). It is very evident when the defense does not play well that JPL just lacks that little bit extra where he can win a game by himself. They have a saying that you can ride a hot goalie through a playoff run, but in our case I don't think JPL could have done that for us. He was peppered pretty bad Thursday night and was getting zero help in front of the net. Combined with his lack of prototypical size and propensity for some pretty weak goals, this may be the reason why he is still undrafted. Hope this makes sense to those of you with "hockey-sense" and I also hope that this one poor game does not prevent him from at least being drafted this year.

On that note, good luck to all of the guys that will be leaving us this spring/summer and thank you for giving us another wonderful second half push!!!

AND HAK ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lammy is too old to be drafted but he can be tendered a free agent contract.

The rest of what you said sounds good... :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can throw stats my way all you want, but me being more of an on ice evaluator and a big JPL fan do not believe that he was as good as statistically advertised. I think alot of his success as a netminder were due to solid defensive performances in front of him (of course what goalie doesn't thrive from solid defense?). It is very evident when the defense does not play well that JPL just lacks that little bit extra where he can win a game by himself. They have a saying that you can ride a hot goalie through a playoff run, but in our case I don't think JPL could have done that for us. He was peppered pretty bad Thursday night and was getting zero help in front of the net. Combined with his lack of prototypical size and propensity for some pretty weak goals, this may be the reason why he is still undrafted. Hope this makes sense to those of you with "hockey-sense" and I also hope that this one poor game does not prevent him from at least being drafted this year.

On that note, good luck to all of the guys that will be leaving us this spring/summer and thank you for giving us another wonderful second half push!!!

AND HAK ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good point.

Is JPL going to play in the NHL? Not likely. I mean, if Goehring can't get any NHL ice time, JPL won't. However, can he still have a productive minor league career? Can he get at least a sniff of the NHL? You bet!

He had a crappy final game. It happens. I think he'll do fine. If that's not in hockey, that's fine too.

I think Goehring graduated from UND with a marketting degree and a GPA close to 4. I mean, I think Karl could go from the goal crease to the front office (not like Garth Snow, but certainly in the business office) if he wants. Maybe JPL can do something similar, though I don't know his major.

You can throw stats my way all you want, but me being more of an on ice evaluator and a big JPL fan do not believe that he was as good as statistically advertised. I think alot of his success as a netminder were due to solid defensive performances in front of him (of course what goalie doesn't thrive from solid defense?). It is very evident when the defense does not play well that JPL just lacks that little bit extra where he can win a game by himself. They have a saying that you can ride a hot goalie through a playoff run, but in our case I don't think JPL could have done that for us.

Did you watch the Regional games. :) Saving 79 of 81 shots doesn't sound like there was much of a defensive effort in front of him. Anyone that watched the game against Wisconsin will tell you he was the reason the Sioux went to the FF.

Did you watch the Regional games. :) Saving 79 of 81 shots doesn't sound like there was much of a defensive effort in front of him. Anyone that watched the game against Wisconsin will tell you he was the reason the Sioux went to the FF.

Totally agreed. I sat right behind him for 3 of the 6 periods in Madison. JPL was an absolute stud between the posts, and made some great saves when his defense left him hangin' in the wind.

YOU wanted it really bad? I'm sure the players wanted it 50 times more than some senior college student sitting in the stands.

Tell ya what, jerkweed, I went to school from 1988-1992 and times got lean then. From 1992-1995 they were even worse. And you know what? I stuck by the team because I bleed Sioux green. What gives you the right to think you're somehow entitled to a national championship. They've won 7 in the history of the program, yet you were somehow DENIED a title? Appreciate the fact that this team went as far as its did and you had a wonderful four years watching them. You could have spent four years watching Bowling Green, Lake Superior State, Providence, or any other half-assed program. Instead, you were treated to four quality years of hockey.

Go Fighting Sioux. Forever.

I suppose "Mafia Jerkweed Man" beings you think your older with soo much history,you can smack talk other Bloggers. I graduated in 76 from UND so you can bowdown Jerkman. Here's the deal: ALL Sioux Fans were DENIED a fair showing against BC. We all watched in amazement as this UND imposter team dribbled piss down their leg for 55 minutes. Doesn't matter who wins but you must show up. It was an embarrassing game by team that was not preprared for the big dance.

Totally agreed. I sat right behind him for 3 of the 6 periods in Madison. JPL was an absolute stud between the posts, and made some great saves when his defense left him hangin' in the wind.

Good for you. I am so glad that you and the other respondant took in to account everything I said in my original posting! I made my assessment of JPL over his entire career and on trends in not only his play, but the defense as a whole. You guys are talking about two games! Did you just want to come on here and gloat about how fortunate you were to travel to Madison and watch the boys win a regional or what? Please do not make me go back and recount all of the "weak goals" that I made reference to and the other nights when we all sat back and watched the defense have a bad night only to watch JPL not carry us to a victory. If you want a prime example of a guy that can carry a team on a playoff run, and keep in mind that this pains me to no end to say it, but look at Alex Kangas at UM. That guy went on an absolute crime spree to get them through MSU and the Final Five. He (as a freshman netminder) put the Gophers on his back and tried to carry them to Denver....by himself! No Blake Wheeler dramatics required with this kid in the pipes!

Like I said, I was not bashing JPL, just pointing out that he was basically an average at best Fighting Sioux goalie. Hell, do you know how many guys would give their left cherry to be an average goalie at UND? Not to mention JPL is a homeotwn boy done good. Nothing better than seeing the GF boys come up through the ranks and make the show. It only opens the door for the kids coming up behind them.

By the way, one of my friends was telling me that Colorado is highly interested in bringing JPL in for a look-see. I cannot find a solid reference anywhere to support his claim. Anyone else hear the same?

I think this thread officially should be called, "Sioux Fans whinning about everything" all of these die hard people who call themselves fans callin it quits because of one bad performance... it was meant to be how it ended up and thats all there is to it get over it. Disappointing, sure.. but why even waste your time blogging on a sioux forum if u are just a piece of $hi* fan who cant handle a loss without crying to your mommies and battling each other over stupid crap... it makes coming on here harder and harder for people who care about the team day in and day out

I think this thread officially should be called, "Sioux Fans whinning about everything" all of these die hard people who call themselves fans callin it quits because of one bad performance... it was meant to be how it ended up and thats all there is to it get over it. Disappointing, sure.. but why even waste your time blogging on a sioux forum if u are just a piece of $hi* fan who cant handle a loss without crying to your mommies and battling each other over stupid crap... it makes coming on here harder and harder for people who care about the team day in and day out

I'll be pissed if the Sioux fanbase gets "Whiner of the Week" and I'm not mentioned. :) :)

I was wondering what the term "hostile and abusive" really meant, but after reading the so called Sioux fans throw their team under the bus - I now know what it means. No one seems to give note to the fact that BC was on a mission. They out scored their opponents 10- 2 (i think) in their frozen four games!

It is embarrasing to see those that call themselves fans treat their team the way some on this board have speared the Sioux - all in the name of "if I buy a ticket I have a right to bitch and complain!" That may be a point that cannot be argued; buy your ticket and you can bitch and moan until the sun comes up. However, fans do not do that to their team! What happen on this board is hostile and abusive to any true fan of the North Dakota Fighting Sioux! When someone takes a shot at our team, you're taking a shot at each one of us. If you can say that what happened in Denver deserves your caustic comments, you need to ask if you really bleed green or are you just a fair weather fan!

Fight on Sioux!

Disappointing...you wanna know disappointing...

It's time for a coaching change...

--im glad that dumb topic was closed but, im upset that it had to be closed for an individual speaking up. making a valid point. closing down a topic is not the right way to handle that. you need to respond to this playng buddy buddy doesnt work eventually people get fed up. this needs to be dealt with b4 the start of the next season.

Just got back from Denver late last night. I agree the Sioux were very disapointing to watch. I can deal with a loss. The fact is they got outplayed. It just wasn't there night. They will be back and everyone that is bashing this team now will be praising them in March and April next year. The biggest deal to me was I have never seen a Sioux team play with such low energy (Altitude?) Pride, Honor, Courage?? Didn't see it. I have never seen a sioux game where there was not one solid clean body check. Why didn't someone throw a good check? That always seems to fire up the boys. If we lose at least the winning team would know they played in a hockey game. I remember the days when all four lines would finish there checks. We stayed for the championship game and it was very quiet in the Pepsi Center. It was more like a scrimmage in the first period. I know if the sioux were playing it would have been like a pary in there. It was funny to see the sioux fans at the championship game starting cheers yelling "GO" and pointing to the Irish section and they would yell back"IRISH". The Notre Dame fans had to think that was pretty cool. As far as the Chorney check it looked like a penalty to me for sure. Why didn't someone let that BC player know that they weren't happy with that check on Chorney and put that guys face in the glass (Radke). There I think I feel better now. When's that Manitoba game scrimmage in October next year, can't wait. Go Sioux

not sure where to put this but looking back anyone think that going on that long unbeaten streak and fighting to finish second in the league took too much out of this team mentally to be ready for the playoff push. something just didn't seem right in march with this team as they were making mistakes they weren't earlier in the year? they just seemed really off.

not sure where to put this but looking back anyone think that going on that long unbeaten streak and fighting to finish second in the league took too much out of this team mentally to be ready for the playoff push. something just didn't seem right in march with this team as they were making mistakes they weren't earlier in the year? they just seemed really off.

It's called "any given day." Denver rolled to the WCHA playoff title. Do you suppose George and company figured they'd head to Madison a week later and get spanked by the Badgers? UND got caught with its pants down. It happens.

Just got back from Denver late last night. I agree the Sioux were very disapointing to watch. I can deal with a loss. The fact is they got outplayed. It just wasn't there night. They will be back and everyone that is bashing this team now will be praising them in March and April next year. The biggest deal to me was I have never seen a Sioux team play with such low energy (Altitude?) Pride, Honor, Courage?? Didn't see it. I have never seen a sioux game where there was not one solid clean body check. Why didn't someone throw a good check? That always seems to fire up the boys. If we lose at least the winning team would know they played in a hockey game. I remember the days when all four lines would finish there checks. We stayed for the championship game and it was very quiet in the Pepsi Center. It was more like a scrimmage in the first period. I know if the sioux were playing it would have been like a pary in there. It was funny to see the sioux fans at the championship game starting cheers yelling "GO" and pointing to the Irish section and they would yell back"IRISH". The Notre Dame fans had to think that was pretty cool. As far as the Chorney check it looked like a penalty to me for sure. Why didn't someone let that BC player know that they weren't happy with that check on Chorney and put that guys face in the glass (Radke). There I think I feel better now. When's that Manitoba game scrimmage in October next year, can't wait. Go Sioux

It is a pretty pathetic day when BC totally outplays UND in the physical part of the game. The Sioux established zero in the physical part of the game. Pathetic performance......

In a sense, the Frozen Four was eerily similar and weirdly symmetrical to the Men's Final Four results.

The Final Four had three teams with title traditions:

UCLA: 12

North Carolina: 4

Kansas: 2

Memphis: 0

The Frozen Four had three teams with title traditions:

Michigan: 9

North Dakota: 7

BC: 2

Notre Dame: 0

In basketball, Kansas wipes out North Carolina. Memphis takes out UCLA. Kansas wins its 3rd title by taking out Memphis and prevents Memphis gaining from its first title.

In hockey, BC wipes out North Dakota. Notre Dame takes out Michigan. BC wins its 3rd title by taking out Notre Dame and prevents ND from gaining its first title.

UCLA = Michigan

UNC = UND

Kansas = BC

Memphis = Notre Dame