SiouxSports.com Forum

Disappointing...

siouxnami

Although the Sioux made it to the frozen four, it appears this is a team that doesn't have much heart. Sioux teams of the past would have fought back after being down 2-3 goals, but this team didn't seem to want to win. That sums it up for me.

Don't forget to meet the team at the GF airport tomorrow afternoon so you can personally tell them that.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't name a single player who actually played well... It seemed Finley was half asleep in the first period... After they went up 3-0 80% of the team gave up...

exactly. Brad Miller, Martens, Radke, Zajac, Frattin. The list goes on. Our lower line players cannot match the speed and skill of BC's line up. Add to that shaky goaltending and the usual giveaways we have by our d against BC and you have the embarrassing outcome we saw today.

Although the Sioux made it to the frozen four, it appears this is a team that doesn't have much heart. Sioux teams of the past would have fought back after being down 2-3 goals, but this team didn't seem to want to win. That sums it up for me.

That goal at the end of the 1st to make it 4-0 was a complete back breaker. Being down 4-0 after one period is almost unheard of.

Was it a penalty? Hopefully someone who was at the game will chime in because there wasn't a good camera angle on it. It could have been a knee to knee or a knee to thigh or a knee to groin or a stick to any of those places. I couldn't catch it. It was barely on camera.

It happened in front of me and I like the refs was looking up ice. I only caught it out of the corner of my eye and I thought it was cheap. It almost seemed like he was intending to trip him, but then caught a bigger chunk of Chorney's leg then he was expecting.

That goal at the end of the 1st to make it 4-0 was a complete back breaker. Being down 4-0 after one period is almost unheard of.

Yes it was. This was a team we needed to get ahead of. We had a chance to tie after they got 1. We still were in it after 2. We really neede to turn it on and we didn't. After 3, we should have prob called a TO. We needed to get out of the period and we couldn't. 4 was the point of no return.

The third goal was a backbreaker as much as the fourth. We were carrying the play, made a mistake and its 1-0. We have a chance to even it up, make a mistake, and its 2-0. Lammy has one he'd like to get back and its 3-0. crazy bounce, traffic in front and its 4-0 after 1.

At that point its already too late. Jerry York had class in the interviews and said it was an anamoly, and the game was closer than 6-1. But in reality it wasn't.

We were never in this hockey game. A ton of credit to BC, they flat out beat us. We made a couple mistakes early, and they capitalized on every one. Next thing you know its an insurmountable lead.

We rode JPL through the regional, so you can't throw him under the bus. Even though I'm sure he'd love a do over. Thanks for carrying this team to another F4.

Oshie, thanks for the memories. I will enjoy wwatching highlights of you in the show.

Chorney, I hope you are ok. I am sure you will do well in the show.

Bina and Radke, thanks for always giving it. You both play fighting sioux hockey.

If I'm thinking about next year, Duncan and Kozek have jobs if they come back. Watkins, Frattin, Zajac, Martens, Trupper, Malone, Marto, and Jones also have job security. Lapoint, Finley and Miller are all in my doghouse and have to earn their spots.

After tonights performance, I would be very surprised if Finley stays. The Caps will want to try and develop him. A number one who performs this poorly on the big stage needs a change od scenery.

Bad loss, but surprisingly i am pretty cool with it. We weren't in it, and the players sure didn't play like they wanted it. I was much more heart broken when the Vikes lost in '98.

Well, i guess disappointing is the perfect word for this game and the way the Sioux played. I am disappointed that the Sioux could not come out with some heart and some will to win this game. And everyone is so quick to jump on the defensemen's backs, but no one ever talks about the goal scorers. Where were they? Chay Genoway has been playing great all season, so I don't think that we should bash him like he is the reason why we lost. We lost because we didn't work hard, play with heart, or even come close to wanting to win. Despite this disappointing loss, I want to congratulate the Fighting Sioux and the coaching staff on a fantastic season. Thank you seniors for your hard work and dedication to the Fighting Sioux hockey program! Next year we will be ready for the skate for 8!!!!

YOU wanted it really bad? I'm sure the players wanted it 50 times more than some senior college student sitting in the stands.

Tell ya what, jerkweed, I went to school from 1988-1992 and times got lean then. From 1992-1995 they were even worse. And you know what? I stuck by the team because I bleed Sioux green. What gives you the right to think you're somehow entitled to a national championship. They've won 7 in the history of the program, yet you were somehow DENIED a title? Appreciate the fact that this team went as far as its did and you had a wonderful four years watching them. You could have spent four years watching Bowling Green, Lake Superior State, Providence, or any other half-assed program. Instead, you were treated to four quality years of hockey.

Go Fighting Sioux. Forever.

Hey man, take it easy! Wow! I will admit I am in a class that has been spoiled. But you dont need to go attacking any Sioux fan! Never did I say I was giving up on this team. Like you can see, I will always Bleed Sioux Green! But honestly, you dont need to attack anybody. Cant you understand that some people get frustrated?

I'm sad too from the outcome of the game, but I think many fans have gotten spoiled over the years with the playoff success and getting to the Frozen Four. We always want more which has led to many to start pointing fingers and playing the blame game. Right now I'm very thankful for:

A university with a great hockey tradition, a faithful fan base that travels well with the team during the season, the best venue to watch a hockey game in, and yes, getting to still be playing in April while so many teams and fans hung up their jerseys many weeks ago. There are many, many teams that have never made the NCAA tourney much less won a game in it or have made the Frozen 4. My advice is to reflect on some of the positives we have going for us.

This couldn't be more accurate! Nice post!

Disappointing...

For the 3rd straight frozen four we didn't get any goaltending when we needed it most.

But what a run for the senior class. 4 Frozen Fours. Congrats Seniors and Juniors that will be moving on. Here is to reloading and trying it again next season...

JPL was hung out to dry over, and over, and over again tonight. JPL is the only reason you got out of the regionals in Madison. He was phenomenal last Sunday night against the Badgers. Did he play his best game of the season? No he did not, but on some of those goals he didn't even have a chance.

You don't have to be happy, but you don't have to fly off the handle either.

Flying off the handle includes:

1. Scapegoating - Any time you blame an entire team's problem in a loss on one or two players, that's scapegoating. Please don't take offense to this, but anyone (not meaning you specifically) who scapegoats is retarded and not a true fan.

2. Calling for administrative changes - The coach can only do so much. He didn't cause Genoway to make mistakes, or the Sioux to play so poorly. The team played like crap. Not Hakstol's fault. He set up the game plan and trained them according to what SHOULD have been able to put the Sioux in position to win. The fact that the team let down the game plan isn't his fault.

Wouldn't singling out Chay, make that scapegoating?

I can't name a single player who actually played well...

I was thinking about that after the game last night. If I had to give three stars to UND players, mine would be:

Marto: Even before he scored the lone Sioux goal, he filled in admirably for Chorney.

Kaip: Played well in stretches, cycled the puck down low as effectively as anyone yesterday.

Miller: A nice game after a tough season. Makes me hopeful for next year.

Edit: Watkins should be in here somewhere for showing up on the scoresheet. Just don't know where to put him.

Just my $.02.

Dave

Wouldn't singling out Chay, make that scapegoating?

Nope. I'm not blaming Chay for the loss. I'm simply saying that Finley's blaming is unfair because those goals were made because of Chay's mishandling of the puck.

Trust me... Chay did not lose us the game. By the time Chay's second mistake occurred, the Sioux had already folded.

I was thinking about that after the game last night. If I had to give three stars to UND players, mine would be:

Marto: Even before he scored the lone Sioux goal, he filled in admirably for Chorney.

Kaip: Played well in stretches, cycled the puck down low as effectively as anyone yesterday.

Miller: A nice game after a tough season. Makes me hopeful for next year.

Edit: Watkins should be in here somewhere for showing up on the scoresheet. Just don't know where to put him.

Just my $.02.

Dave

I thought Kaip played hard too. Of all the seniors, I think Kaip was the lone representative who played 60 minutes. He just couldn't pull through offensively for the team.

I feel bad for the seniors.

That was an amazing play. Apparently both BC and UND thought it was a penalty. The officials decided not to call one.

I mean, the BC player who hit Chorney even stopped playing!

Was it a penalty? Hopefully someone who was at the game will chime in because there wasn't a good camera angle on it. It could have been a knee to knee or a knee to thigh or a knee to groin or a stick to any of those places. I couldn't catch it. It was barely on camera.

The hit happened on our end of the ice, and to me it was definitely a cheap shot. Chorney had already gotten rid of the puck and was getting ready to head to the bench when the BC player came in to finish a check. When Chorney moved out of the BC players way, he stuck out his leg and we could hear the collision of knee on knee all the way up in the club section.

I was calling for a 5 and there was no penalty at all. Type of thing that would promote the 2 ref system.

The hit happened on our end of the ice, and to me it was definitely a cheap shot. Chorney had already gotten rid of the puck and was getting ready to head to the bench when the BC player came in to finish a check. When Chorney moved out of the BC players way, he stuck out his leg and we could hear the collision of knee on knee all the way up in the club section.

I was calling for a 5 and there was no penalty at all. Type of thing that would promote the 2 ref system.

Driving 14 hrs through the night some of it in a storm for yesterdays effort was a joke. Two-thirds of this team played with no heart yesterday and it was embarrassing. Props to all the Sioux fans who made it to Denver, awesome fan support.

Driving 14 hrs through the night some of it in a storm for yesterdays effort was a joke. Two-thirds of this team played with no heart yesterday and it was embarrassing. Props to all the Sioux fans who made it to Denver, awesome fan support.

Definitely frustrating. Gonna make it tough for me to wanna travel further than the cities for another Sioux appearance in a Frozen Four.

Lammy takes this game to his grave. I feel bad for him

I feel bad for him too but while he and the team defense as a whole wasn't good last night, you have to bury the puck offensively when you have the opportunities and the Sioux had many opportunities. Their talent level, especially offensively, is second to none but like one of the other posters said, they seemed to lose their legs and lacked the grinder effort being down 4-rip should have spawned. Are the Sioux too full of future NHL Superstars to play hard all game every game? I'm beginning to wonder.

They're still my team and always will be but I'd like to see more Chris Porter types of players--relentless pricks who will do anything to win. I can't remember the old saying but I think it goes something like this "Work beats talent when talent isn't working"

Sure, the loss was disappointing, but I am still in Denver and going to the championship game to represent North Dakota as a fan. I am so proud of our team! Wherever we have gone today (even up in Keystone) we have gotten nothing but great compliments on what a nice bunch of players we have on our team.

People were EXCITED that our players were so open to talk and sign things for them this week. One guy on the shuttle said he got to meet a Hobey Baker winner in Ryan Duncan and said, "What a nice young man that Duncan is." One of the city ambassadors said he was sorry we lost and sorry to see the team go home.

That's what you go to the Frozen Four for.

Thank you Sioux team, coaches, band, and cheer team. You all represted us so well! I am proud to be a Sioux fan this week.

FIRST OF ALL, THIS IS NOT A JPL BASHING, JUST A PERSONAL OBSERVATION.

You can throw stats my way all you want, but me being more of an on ice evaluator and a big JPL fan do not believe that he was as good as statistically advertised. I think alot of his success as a netminder were due to solid defensive performances in front of him (of course what goalie doesn't thrive from solid defense?). It is very evident when the defense does not play well that JPL just lacks that little bit extra where he can win a game by himself. They have a saying that you can ride a hot goalie through a playoff run, but in our case I don't think JPL could have done that for us. He was peppered pretty bad Thursday night and was getting zero help in front of the net. Combined with his lack of prototypical size and propensity for some pretty weak goals, this may be the reason why he is still undrafted. Hope this makes sense to those of you with "hockey-sense" and I also hope that this one poor game does not prevent him from at least being drafted this year.

On that note, good luck to all of the guys that will be leaving us this spring/summer and thank you for giving us another wonderful second half push!!!

AND HAK ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!