SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Recruits?

Siouxhockey03

Even if Foyt doesn't contribute immediately, I welcome the addition of an 8th defenceman. As the Sioux found out last year, just one injury (or illness) on a team with only 7 defencemen leaves the team with no breathing room on D. If one is not playing well or a 2nd gets injured, a forward is forced to move back (R. Hale last season) which is not a good situation in DI hockey. *I realize Foyt appears to be a natural forward, but it looks as though he has at least a year of junior A experience at defence.

MontanaHockey,

Since you seem to be in the know, what's the story behind Foyt's move from Tri-City to Bozeman mid-season? Was he traded? Did he leave on his own? Was he cut?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5'10" 180 lbs is a little small on the defensive scale, but not really so much for the Sioux historically.

Agreed. Curtis Murphy is really one who comes to mind, especially if Foyt has some offensive talent. Anyway, if he works hard and contributes I'm sure he'll find his place on the team.

With Foyt added, does that make 8 defensemen with or without Bina?

Schneider

Fuher

Jones

Greene

Marvin

Smaby

Bina

Foyt?

Dahlen?

My gut says Dahlen is not a factor based on the info above and the fact there has been zero "smoke" (i.e. where there's smoke there's fire) on him all summer. If I'm wrong, and if Foyt is coming as it looks, then there are 9. But 8 without Dahlen. Another reason I think the signs point to him not being included on the roster.

Foyt left TriCities along with goalie Crawford-West (drafted by Pittsburgh) at the Christmas break. The reason seems to have been financial-TriCities was hurting for cash and sold off 2 of their top players. TriCities also went through a coaching change just before the Christmas break so there may have been other reasons tied up in the trade. But I think Bozeman only sent one player, a defenceman, to TriCities. Crawford-West performed as a lame duck for Bozeman but Foyt was an impact player from the first day. I'm really surprised that Foyt wasn't picked up by other D1 schools if his academic record is as it appears and he played at such a high level. Makes me wonder what's up with a kid who seems to have what it takes to be a Fighting Sioux but didn't sign with anyone else. Can't believe that there weren't any other offers out there but maybe the Bozeman coach didn't see to taking care of business and left the kid to do it all himself. In other words, what's a kid with the potential to play for UND doing with no place to play as late as July?

I'm really surprised that Foyt wasn't picked up by other D1 schools if his academic record is as it appears and he played at such a high level. Makes me wonder what's up with a kid who seems to have what it takes to be a Fighting Sioux but didn't sign with anyone else. Can't believe that there weren't any other offers out there but maybe the Bozeman coach didn't see to taking care of business and left the kid to do it all himself. In other words, what's a kid with the potential to play for UND doing with no place to play as late as July?

Just because he didn't sign with another team doesn't mean there was no interest from other teams. Maybe has was simply holding out for something better. It's really tough to speculate on these types of things. There may be more information if there is an official release by UND.

Foyt left TriCities along with goalie Crawford-West (drafted by Pittsburgh) at the Christmas break. The reason seems to have been financial-TriCities was hurting for cash and sold off 2 of their top players. TriCities also went through a coaching change just before the Christmas break so there may have been other reasons tied up in the trade. But I think Bozeman only sent one player, a defenceman, to TriCities. Crawford-West performed as a lame duck for Bozeman but Foyt was an impact player from the first day. I'm really surprised that Foyt wasn't picked up by other D1 schools if his academic record is as it appears and he played at such a high level. Makes me wonder what's up with a kid who seems to have what it takes to be a Fighting Sioux but didn't sign with anyone else. Can't believe that there weren't any other offers out there but maybe the Bozeman coach didn't see to taking care of business and left the kid to do it all himself. In other words, what's a kid with the potential to play for UND doing with no place to play as late as July?

Look, I don't know anything about Foyt. But maybe he's just not D1 material. Could be he's walking on to the UND team, and UND is the likely choice because his good friend Bochenski is already there. If he's got the moxie to warrant an academic scholarship, then he could go where he wants, likely. Why not to where your good friend is playing in one of the finest facilities to be found?

Just conjecturing, but it fits the picture.

My take on the D, having seen none of the new guys play, is this: UND will have a rock-solid Top 5, with Schneider/Smaby, Greene/Jones and Fuher. That leaves three players competing for one spot: Marvin, Bina and Foyt (assuming Dahlen is not in the mix).

Considering the impact on the Top 5 of a variety of game-missing events, including injury, illness, national team obligations and fighting suspensions (a few would be OK), having a few extra defensemen to work in sounds fine. I think low expectations for Foyt and Bina are reasonable, leaving open the chance for an upside surprise.

Welcome aboard, Mr. Foyt; go to work and earn some playing time. Good luck.

I think some wrong news has gotten out here. It might be that Foyt wanted to walk-on and play for the Sioux, but I doubt it will ever happen. As it stands now, the Sioux defense will consist of the players dagies named, minus Foyt and Dahlen.

Charley Walters (Shooter) of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports in his column today that UMN is pursuing 15 year old right wing Dan Bertram from Calgary, AB. He further alleges that the kid is interested in UMN. Anybody got the skinny on him? If he's a 'blue chippah' maybe someone (say...Brad Berry?) should pay him a visit and show him the light. Or at the very least, show him the historical difference between UMN and the Sioux in roster makeup (by nationality, of course). :)

The coaches aren't allowed to talk to the kid yet. He's too young. But don't worry, once contact can be made, UND will be there. They're allowed to send e-mails at this point but that's about it. It might be too late though if the kid decides to go MJ in the next couple of weeks. He has offers like Sydney Crosby was faced with. It's going to be difficult for him to turn it down.

Sydney Crosby signed with the Rimouski Oceanic team or whatever. BLah. I can't understand French. I hope Sydney does or he'll probably go insane :glare: In case you are curious, Rimouski is the name of the town in Quebec.

The draft happened June 7th. I guess he went first pick overall. He was certainly the top rated prospect in the draft.

To be honest, I'd love to see an exhibition game between a Major Juniors team and the Sioux. I think that would be interesting.

Tri-City's first two shooters -- Scott Parse and Bill Thomas -- each scored in the bottom left corner on Briggs................Scott Foyt put the game in the win column by beating Briggs in the fourth round.

"I saw what he had been doing," Foyt said of his shootout gameplan. "He came out about a foot off to the right, which gave me the whole left side. You learn to read the goalie."

With the developments in MPLS with the gopher goalie situation this scouting report by young Mr. Foyt maybe becomes a bit more relevant.

:glare:

NORTH DAKOTA Fall

Scott Foyd-LD (8/18/03) Bozeman (AWHL) -82

Nate Ziegelman-G (5/18/03) Lincoln (USHL) 5'9 180 11-5-82

Jordan Parise-G (5/18/03) Waterloo (USHL) 5'10 170 -82

Robbie Bina-D (4/7/03) Lincoln (USHL) 5'7 170 1-4-83 34-4-9-13-29

#Drew Stafford-RC (10/16/02) Shattuck St.Marys 6'2 205 10-30-85 2002 USA U-18

#Matt Smaby-RD (7/26/02) Shattuck St.Marys 6'4 210 11-30-84

#Chris Porter-LW (3/8/02) Lincoln (USHL) 5'11 178 5-29-84 59-13-22-35-74 || 2001 USA U-18 Team// 2000 USA U-17 team

#Brady Murray-LC (1/3/02) Salmon Arm (BCHL) 5'9 165 8-17-84 59-42-59-101-26 ||

Eric Fabian-LW (9/15/01) Topeka (USHL) 6'2 210 5-28-83 54-18-19-37-72 ||

$Layne Sedevie-G (2/23/01) Topeka (USHL) 5'10 160 4-8-83 2000 USA U-18 Team // AWHL Rookie of Year and Top Goalie

Chad Dahlen-LD Lake Superior State 6'1 185 5-23-79 Transfer, ineligible until Oct 03

Rick - What is your justification for saying you don't think that Foyt will ever see a walk-on?

I can't say what my justification was, but since Foyt was at the team orientation meeting on Tuesday afternoon and registered for classes, it looks like he will get a tryout. Scott Bjugstad is high on the kid and coached him at Blaine, so that is a good endorsement. Scott highly recommended Bochenski a few years ago and that turned out pretty good.

I wonder if the Sioux are going to recruit Zach Bearson. He is Jason Notermann's cousin. He recently was a member of the US under 17 team that won the 5 nations tourney in Slovakia. Zach had 1 goal and 3 assists and led the tourney with 18 minutes in penalties... He will be playing for the Waterloo Blackhawks this season.

I would love another reason to go to Grand Forks and watch the Sioux!