SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Recruits?

Siouxhockey03

Trying to get some information on who the coaching staff is going after in upcoming years?

Recruiting class for 04:

Beaverson 6'3" 200+ (D)

Lamoureux (G)

That's a pretty good start with Beaverson being around #90 in the NHL Central Scouting Rankings if he enters. Beaverson is a defensive defensman. Lamoureux is a good goalie who should help the Sioux when he comes in.

I know this is along time away, but if anyone has information please post.

Who are the next big recruits that the Sioux are after?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

The Sioux get Kyle Radke who should be a star at defense....

Now the class of 04-05 look like this:

Kyle Radke 5'11'' 187 (D): Offensive defenseman who was first team AJHL at the end of the year. Also had 65 points in 63 games/

Beaverson 6'3'' 200+ (D): Big d-man who hits hard, also a really solid recruit that should step in right away.

Lamoureux (G): Solid goalie who will have to fight for time next season.

Overall: Three really solid players so far. Radke and Beaverson would be a great combination on the blue line. Lamoureux is also a really solid goalie.

What is needed: Big time goal scorers, hopefully Blais will get a couple more big time recruits!!

I have no idea if the Sioux are recruiting him, but how about Michael Ringrose from the Sherwood Park Crusaders of the AJHL? I know nothing about him, but his stats are impressive (59-37-44-81-36pim). And check out his career and scholastic ambitions in his bio. Do you suppose UND might be a nice fit? ;)

Chris Leinweber (Calgary Canucks); Bret Hryniuk, Sean Beswick, Teeder Wynne (Calgary Royals); Rick Zaparniuk (Edmonton/Spruce Grove/Calgary Canucks); Mike Commodore, Ian Kallay (Fort Saskatchewan); Tarek Howard, Chad Sturrock (Olds); Corey Cadden, Dave Hakstol, Dixon Ward (Red Deer); Perry Berezan, Brad Berry, Dean Dachyshyn, Dave Donnelly, Bob Iwabuchi, Steve Johnson, Glen Klotz, Pierre Lamoureux, Troy Murray, Mal Parks, Geoff Smith, Mickey Volcan, (St. Albert); Garry Valk, Paxton Schulte (Sherwood Park).

Some very good Sioux players came out of the AJHL, including the current assistant coaches. Nice to see the team looking this way again with Kyle Radke.

I agree with the sentiments about recruiting again in western Canada. We've generally had good luck out there and brought in a number of players who have contributed to some great Sioux teams. Hopefully, the compass points there more often.

Aviation for Mr. Ringrose? I think we can handle that ... decent numbers, okay size, ;):D

If he wants a degree in aviation, this is the place to go.

Other WCHA schools with aviation degrees: JBSU and Mankato (qulity of programs don't compare). Plus were going to be a better hockey team ;) . The Sioux should definately take a look at this guy because I would guarantee he is taking a look at UND.

I agree with the sentiments about recruiting again in western Canada. We've generally had good luck out there and brought in a number of players who have contributed to some great Sioux teams. Hopefully, the compass points there more often.

Looks like Berry's territory, in Alberta anyway. Hope he's got a good line on others. Anyone have any idea if there are any scholarships left for this season? Obviously Radke could have had one if he'd come this fall.

Ok, I know I said it's better when UND and UW put out better teams, but the Gophers lose a lot after the next season so leave some for us, eh?  ;)

Soon all 25 year old Canadians will again be Sioux. Although Radke will be only 19, doubt that will stop Ha**y and members from getting that going again. Cupcakes can't last forever.

I found this on Hockey's Future on a recap of Tampa Bay's draft. I don't know if there's anything to it or if it is just a mistake by the author. Perhaps someone with some inside info could check on it. I didn't find mention of it at Heisenberg's site.

---------------------------------------------------------

Jay Rosehill, D

7th Round, 227th Overall

Height/Weight: 6

Interesting find JK. See in his bio at http://www.oldsgrizzlys.com/ that his goal is to play DI hockey, but no mention if he's been signed or has verballed to any college team. He, like Radke, is an 85 birthday so can play another year of juniors with Olds. His older brother was a 6' 3" 205 pound wing with Olds also.

Several Olds graduates are around NCAA hockey, most with Bowling Green, one with Duluth (Brosz), and others, as well as recent commitments to UNO and UA-Fairbanks.

I'm always surprised looking at these junior A rosters that almost all have goals of a DI scholarship.

A little digging found this site:

http://bolts.tbo.com/lightning/MGAVZZJ99HD.html

edit: (I see I have been beaten to the punch)

Jay Rosehill

Pos.: D Vitals: 6-3, 195

Selected: Seventh round, 227th overall from Olds of Alberta Junior league

Born: Olds, Alberta, on July 16, 1985

Etc.: Rated 139 among North American skaters by Central Scouting. ... Named team's most improved defenseman for 2002-03. ... Expected to attend North Dakota.

Goertzen's comment: ``He's an Alberta beef boy who doesn't mind laying on the lumber. We like how he plays physically. He has time to develop. Makes people pay the price in front of the net.''

Matt Smaby, D

Height/weight: 6-4, 200

Selected: 41st overall

Etc: Scheduled to attend University of North Dakota. ... Invited to U.S. Junior National Camp. ... Worked out with Tampa Bay RW and fellow Minnesota native Ben Clymer during the summer. ... Was a standout baseball player before focusing on hockey. ... Had 248 penalty minutes in 122 games with Shattuck St. Mary's high school in Minneapolis.

Goertzen says: ``He's big, strong, tough and has some pretty good skills. He is very similar to Mike [Egener] in a lot of ways.''

This site lists college players but lists Rosehill as

If Rosehill is indeed coming to UND, the number of defencemen will be getting quite large. (I'm now officially using the Canadian spelling of defensemen in honor of the new Canadian recruits. ;) ) If Rosehill comes, I assume it wouldn't be until '04.

By my count, the upcoming season will have 8 defencemen on the roster (Schneider, Fuher, Jones, Greene, Marvin, Smaby, Bina, Dahlen). None are seniors. Then there could be as many as 3 coming in '04 (Beaverson, Radke, Rosehill). There's a potential for 11 defencemen on the roster in '04. Even if UND loses one of its D-men early, that will still make 10 defencemen on the roster. Seems like a lot.

Thanks for the info dagies. If Dahlen doesn't join the team this fall, that's 7 on the roster. I think UND found out last year, that the ideal number to have is 8. Perhaps Rosehill comes this fall? Or I suppose Ryan Hale could move back if there is a need.

Even without Dahlen, unless there are early departures, that's still 10 defencemen on the roster in '04. It's still extremely early, so I suppose a lot can change from now till then. It's nice knowing there's a cushion. Hopefully, the focus for '04 is now placed on forwards.

So much of course depends on the NHL's labor situation, but in the absence of its impact on the normal course of business, I would consider Schneider, Jones and Greene to all be early departure risks. Schneider's a bit older (I think, without checking), has made good progress, and has a pro-style mean streak. Jones (3rd) and Greene (2nd) are both early-round draft picks, which means they carry a higher profile in the organization. I think the normal track for players of that calibre is to let them develop and mature physically for a few years in juniors or college, then bring them under the professional umbrella to nurture their development more closely. Defensemen especially seem to need to learn the position in the AHL, and the sooner they get to the AHL the sooner they will be ready to join the big club, at a sizable discount to the cost of a high-priced veteran.

I don't know whether any of these guys will be ready to go, or will desire it, but I see it as a possibility. Maybe that's why Blais is recruiting defensmen.

Those are the three I was thinking of too. I would bet that at least one jumps ship after the upcoming season. Perhaps two. I agree that the possibility of early departures is probably why DB has been recruiting D. But what happens if all 3 decide to come back in '04? I doubt there will be enough scholarship money to go around if that happens.

Maybe somebody with more knowledge of the recruiting process than I can shed some light. I imagine it's got to be tough for a coach to try to guard against early departures on one hand, and to avoid extending too many scholarships on the other.

It does seem like a high number of defensemen, but Rosehill is still just a question mark. Let's assume he isn't really coming, and should Dahlen not play with the team (another assumption only), then the defense numbers are at about 8, which is pretty normal. If one of those two assumptions is wrong, that makes 9. However, as jk pointed out, it is reasonable to believe we could lose at least one after next year. Hopefully not, but you never know.

Personally, it sure would be nice not to lose any additional defensemen early. With Commodore, Roche, and Hale all leaving before we saw their top potential realized, it would be nice to see these guys perform at their peak in college. We've talked about this coming year potentially being a good year for the team, but the year after could be something too, with a upperclass dominated defensive corp, and potentially solid goaltending by that time.