SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Recruits?

Siouxhockey03

I don't think we should expect too much out of Bina. My guess is that he will probably dress for about 10 games this year but won't see much playing time in those 10 games.

Radke should be a real good addition in the '04-'05 season and will most likely step right in and play. I've been told he has "Roche-like" patience with the puck. He had a lot of full-ride offers.

Luke Beaverson will most likely be a work-in-progress similar to Commodore when he was a freshman. He will most likely require more time to develop than Greene did.

I think the comment on the Tampa website regarding Rosehill is jumping the gun just a tad. He has a longggg way to go before he could play. I suspect the Tampa PR person asked Rosehill what he would like to do after he completes playing juniors, and Rosehill probably said something like, "I'd like to go to North Dakota like Matt Smaby."

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.gpstorm.com/docs/2002-2003%20NE...20off%20to%20nd

The Grande Prairie site has him coming in 04-05, although the Sioux would have liked to have him this year. He wants to stick around to play his final junior year in the Royal Bank Cup, which will be played in Grande Prairie next spring.

"(The Fighting Sioux) kind of wanted me to go to them this fall, but they were content with letting me play here at the Royal Bank Cup," Radke said from his central Alberta home in Bashaw Saturday. "If we weren't hosting the Royal Bank Cup, I would have left this year, but it will be a great opportunity to get exposure and the experience of playing in it."

As nice as it would be to have him on this team, this year, another year of Canadian juniors can't hurt. Another noteable Grand Prairie alum = Grant Stevenson.

Another notable Bashaw, Alberta alum .... Brad Berry.

Coincidence? I think not.

• 5 weeks later...
I'm surprised that UND doesn't have a single offensive recruit for the '04-05 season.  There are 2 defensemen and 1 goalie.

Anyone heard anything lately about forwards?

Dunno for sure. I was checking out Heisenberg's recruit list & it seems that the average date of signing is about a year in advance of the upcoming season--some being signed 2 years in advance & others about 5-6 months.

Heisenberg

I noticed that new recruit K. Radke isn't listed there yet.

Radtke was supposed to have been in GF working out with the team for the past 6 weeks (starting July 5). Can any GF'ers confirm this?

I thought he wasn't coming to UND until next year? Seems that it wouldn't make sense if he isn't coming until next season.

I thought he wasn't coming to UND until next year? Seems that it wouldn't make sense if he isn't coming until next season.

That's true, not until next year, but the article on the Grande Prairie site says he was working out with the Sioux this summer also.

That's true, not until next year, but the article on the Grande Prairie site says he was working out with the Sioux this summer also.

Maybe Blaiser is working on him and trying to talk him into staying...

Oh well I was kind of hoping he would be here this season. Sounds like the real deal.

Maybe Blaiser is working on him and trying to talk him into staying... Oh well I was kind of hoping he would be here this season. Sounds like the real deal.

He should be. It sounds like this guy would help the Sioux this year as well as be adjusted to the college game in '04-'05.

An interesting thing about Radke is who made it to his "final two". He was at the top of everyone's list. All the top schools in the WCHA, CCHA and HE were after him, with his last official visit going to UMD. The Gophers made landing a top end Canadian recruit a priority and offered him a full ride. The Gophers also offered Jonathan Sigalet a full ride, as did most of the top programs. Radke's final two came down to UND and Western Michigan.

Sandy, Rohlik and Davidson are landing top Canadian recruits at UMD. They might be the surprise of the WCHA in the next couple years.

An interesting thing about Radke is who made it to his "final two". He was at the top of everyone's list. All the top schools in the WCHA, CCHA and HE were after him, with his last official visit going to UMD. The Gophers made landing a top end Canadian recruit a priority and offered him a full ride. The Gophers also offered Jonathan Sigalet a full ride, as did most of the top programs. Radke's final two came down to UND and Western Michigan.

Sandy, Rohlik and Davidson are landing top Canadian recruits at UMD. They might be the surprise of the WCHA in the next couple years.

I agree with you about Duluth. Scott Sandelin knows how to recruit, particularly from Western Canada (even though he's from the Iron Range). Who is Jonathan Sigalet and where did he end up?

5'10" 180 lbs is a little small on the defensive scale, but not really so much for the Sioux historically. Bina is still the smallest really. I'm hoping this guy has an offensive streak in him to give us an offensive threat on the blue line. As for heart, it is all that matters.

In the NHL, the Detroit Red Wings had Vladimir Konstantinov for a bit. He wasn't that much taller than Scott, but he always was a feisty d-man. Maybe Scott can do something here. Maybe he can't. Who knows.

Other than that, he's another name to me. I have no idea who he really is except that he hails from the same place Bochenski comes from (Blaine, MN).

A few articles relating to Mr. Foyt:

http://www.bozemanicedogs.com/home.jsp

Scott Foyt, who joined the team halfway through last season, will play next season for the University of North Dakota. UND's star defenseman David Hale signed a professional contract with the Stanley Cup Champion New Jersey Devils and created a spot for a late-signee. "Scott was a strong impact defenseman and has excellent character that will be an asset for the Fighting Sioux," says ICEDOGS Head Coach John LaFontaine.
http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/artic...ckeybzsprts.txt

Foyt has helped lift Bozeman's power play off the ground and has generally shown leadership, which earned him an assistant captain position.

http://www.theindependent.com/stories/1106...o_storm06.shtml

Tri-City's first two shooters -- Scott Parse and Bill Thomas -- each scored in the bottom left corner on Briggs. Scott Ransom sneaked a shot in under the crossbar on Brandon Crawford-West to cut the Tri-City lead to 2-1 in the third round, but Scott Foyt put the game in the win column by beating Briggs in the fourth round.

"I saw what he had been doing," Foyt said of his shootout gameplan. "He came out about a foot off to the right, which gave me the whole left side. You learn to read the goalie."

Foyt excelled throughout the game and especially on the penalty kill to hold the league's top power-play unit to a 2-for-9 night.

"He was all over the ice," Hillman said. "Scott was the best player on the ice tonight. He showed great stamina."

Foyt said conditioning is playing a big part in his solid season.

"I've been doing a lot of biking lately," he said. "I'm keeping my legs fresh."

I think I saw a comment in an another article that said he played forward his first year in the USHL for Tri-City. If that is true, it might indicate he was converted to defense last year. BTW, note the goaltender that he scored on in the article above :)

It also appears that he wore the "A" at Tri-City for the '02-'03 season before he left. It looks like he was a defenceman-turned-forward for Tri-City (and then must have switched back to defence when he went to Bozeman).

From the Icedogs team awards:

The award for Best Defenseman was given to Scott Foyt. Foyt joined the Icedogs in January and made an impact on the defense right away. After only a few weeks, Foyt was elected to be a third assistant captain. In 25 games, Scott had three goals and 12 assists.

Not only does Foyt hail from Blaine but he, coincidentally, happens to be best buds with Bochenski. Grew up together, got into a little legal fracas with Brandon in high school and I think they share digs in Blaine in the summers. Foyt was captain of the champion Blaine team in 99 that won the state title, with Bochenski as a linemate. Don't think they will be living together but I bet their off-ice antics will be something to behold. Can anyone actually confirm that Foyt is on the roster or does he still have to go through a walkon tryout situation?

It could be a walk-on type situation. But that doesn't mean he won't make the team. The Sioux are currently only carrying 7 defencemen for the upcoming season and could use an 8th on the roster IMO. Whether that's Dahlen or Foyt perhaps will depend on tryouts. (nobody seems to know whether Dahlen is even in the mix anymore)

edit- on the other hand, the release by the Icedogs says "signee." Do walk-ons sign anything?

Dahlen may not be in the picture any longer. Remember last year it was reported he quit practicing with the team half-way through the year to concentrate on school.

The signee thing could be just a choice of words which may or may not actually reflect reality. I don't have any knowledge one way or another on this situation. Whoever wrote the story may not often write about these situations and therefore not be too choosy about the words they use. It would be surprising if Blais still had $ to give at this point in the year, I would think.

Good question "Do signees actually sign anything?" What's the difference between Radke and Foyt? The GP Storm article of 15-Aug quotes Radke as saying the UND coach told him he would be replacing David Hale. And yet the Icedogs coach quotes the exact same thing about Foyt. So, if Radke signed and Foyt didn't, doesn't that mean that Radke would get the nod first? I don't think there is any athletic scholarship money riding on Foyt. But I could be wrong.