SiouxSports.com Forum

Finley/Genoway

GeauxSioux

Loved Joe's defensive play on the game winning goal today against Denver. Hopefully Genoway tells him the truth on how pathetic it was.

Not a good game for Finley. i do not understand what he was thinking on the rush for the last DU goal...the guy is 6 feet 7 and did not even attempt to poke check the puck. He just let the DU player wheel right in and roof one. A horrible defensive play.

Not a good game for Finley. i do not understand what he was thinking on the rush for the last DU goal...the guy is 6 feet 7 and did not even attempt to poke check the puck. He just let the DU player wheel right in and roof one. A horrible defensive play.

I saw him make the same play on a few occations.

He would position himself to keep the puck carrier to the outside, but not actually make a move on the player or the puck.

I would figure by his junior year he'd be able to do something more than that.

I saw him make the same play on a few occations.

He would position himself to keep the puck carrier to the outside, but not actually make a move on the player or the puck.

I would figure by his junior year he'd be able to do something more than that.

Exactly!! He was in position but did nothing!! Just gave the DU player time and space to get the shot off. It was like he just backed away.

Exactly!! He was in position but did nothing!! Just gave the DU player time and space to get the shot off. It was like he just backed away.

Definitely not a good game for Joe. My sentiments exactly. He's going to have to do more than skate backwards to earn that nickname "Thunder". Didn't see him step up once when he was in a 1v1 situation.

This is nothing new for Finley. I've been talking about this all season. I just simply do not understand what people see in him besides being huge and allegedly "intimidating" other teams. Didn't notice him as much today but Friday was embarrassing to watch.

Finley is solid. He has improved a ton and is s very good defender. As fans it is very easy to criticize these guys but man when you sit close to the ice you really gain an appreciation as to how good these guys really are. The way these guys can skate is incredible. Finley had a bad game vs DU but he had a good game this afternoon. He is not physical ala Matt Greene, but is solid.

I heard Bina had the flu as well. There were times on Sat when Bina was out of the rotation.

The comment on the radio was something to the effect of "Keep an eye on #28. We'll see how long he lasts, as had it coming out both ends prior to the start of this game." Guess that would throw a guy out of rotation once and awhile! :wink:

"Keep an eye on #28. We'll see how long he lasts, as had it coming out both ends prior to the start of this game."

TMI

As to Finley and the GW Friday: while Joe didn't play either the puck or the body, you've got to give some props to the DU player. Helluva shot!

He got beat bad 5 times on Friday on the same type of play they scored the winner on.

And wasn't Chorney like a -4 or -5 on the second night of the UNH series? What do you want Finley to do, turn his jersey into Hakstol? Maybe you could stop by practice today and show big Joe how its done?

Just saying one thing:

Finley, you rock!

Don't let "The Scout" and the other people who think that wins and losses come on the shoulders of ONE PLAYER get you down.

Last time I checked, we lost to DU because they scored 3 goals and we scored 1. If blaming Finley for that makes you guys feel better, GREAT! Better you the d-bag than me.

So, yeah, win or lose, I'm not throwing any player under the bus. And I'll do this instead:

For every blatant "He sucks!" or "If it werent for so and so" post brought up from now until the end of the season I'll say this:

I just LOVE it when players get thrown under the bus. What we did to Brian Lee should make us feel proud as a fanbase. What we are doing to Finley whenever he may make a mistake should make us proud. So, yeah, TJ Oshie is driving the bus provided he follows these "fan's" (so to speak) requests to back up repeatedly over Joe Finley.

Tired of that? Well then, figure out some way to coin a loss on the fact that the team didn't play well enough to beat the other team. If ONE NAME surfaces in explanation of defeat, then this passage will return. Annoying as it is, so is reading your pathetic posts that only serve to flame a member of what I'd assume is YOUR TEAM.

This is nothing new for Finley. I've been talking about this all season. I just simply do not understand what people see in him besides being huge and allegedly "intimidating" other teams. Didn't notice him as much today but Friday was embarrassing to watch.

I'll take your comments with a grain of salt considering you are a Wisconsin fan and are not exactly objective since Finley plays ahead of your Wisconsin boy who can do no wrong in your eyes, Derrick Lapoint. Yes, Finley had a tough game against Denver, but he has been very steady this year. He's smart with the puck, skates very well for a big man and is good at breaking the puck out. He's easily a top 4 defenseman on the Sioux along with Chorey, Genoway and Bina.

I'll take your comments with a grain of salt considering you are a Wisconsin fan and are not exactly objective since Finley plays ahead of your Wisconsin boy who can do no wrong in your eyes, Derrick Lapoint. Yes, Finley had a tough game against Denver, but he has been very steady this year. He's smart with the puck, skates very well for a big man and is good at breaking the puck out. He's easily a top 4 defenseman on the Sioux along with Chorey, Genoway and Bina.

I call it like I see it. I'm not just a Wisconsin fan. I cheer for the Sioux every weekend they aren't playing against Wisconsin. I wore my Sioux stuff at the Final Five last weekend and cheered as hard as I could. And I didn't bring up LaPoint in this discussion. It was about Finley, and he was brutal on Friday. If I should bash anyone to make LaPoint look better it would be Marto (since they are battling for playing time) but I'm not because I like the way Marto plays. I think Marto is a good hockey player and should be in the lineup.

My opinion on Finley isn't going to change until he starts playing more consistent good hockey. If you don't think he cost the team the game on Friday then you just didn't pay attention. Not only did he get walked on the game winner, he was in the box on the first goal. The last game I watched when Denver was in Grand Forks. Finley did all he could to give up the lead in the last 2 minutes of the game. He let a forward (whos name escapes me right now) walk right around him to the net when the Sioux were up 1. He then had to pull the guy down and give the Pioneers a Power Play for the last 2 minutes of the game. And these two examples are just what I could think of in the last two games against Denver!

Don't make this LaPoint vs Finley because I did not bring that up. I just commented on the Finley situation.

Joe did play poorly on Friday. Terrible defensively. For some reason he did not play the body at all and kept backing up.

My criticism of Lapoint on Friday had less to do with his defensive play and more to do with his inability to break the puck out. I noticed a lot of errant break out passes.