SiouxSports.com Forum

Mankato crashing the goalie

tnt

I guess I haven't seen what people at GPL are saying, but aside from the Pohl incident, it seems like Mankato ran into Kangas more times than can be explained away by crashing toward the net. Does anybody else think that if the Sioux ran into Kangas that many times, it would be the big, bad Sioux syndrome applied? I know the Sioux became villains for taking matters into their own hands when Bruess et al. ran into Lamoureaux. Would the gophers have responded in kind if it weren't a playoff game?

I guess I haven't seen what people at GPL are saying, but aside from the Pohl incident, it seems like Mankato ran into Kangas more times than can be explained away by crashing toward the net. Does anybody else think that if the Sioux ran into Kangas that many times, it would be the big, bad Sioux syndrome applied? I know the Sioux became villains for taking matters into their own hands when Bruess et al. ran into Lamoureaux. Would the gophers have responded in kind if it weren't a playoff game?

It was mostly Kalinski. He went hard into Kangas three times. I won't suprise me a bit if there is retaliation next year.

It was mostly Kalinski. He went hard into Kangas three times. I won't suprise me a bit if there is retaliation next year.

What good would next year do you if Kangas was either injured or gave up a soft goal due to intimidation. There is a reason why goaltenders should be untouchable regardless of the time of year. If the officials aren't going to stand up for him then somebody else has to. This is the way the Mavs always play and they have probably had a hand in many of the injuries that are currently being endured by quite a few WCHA players. I am just glad that the Fighting Sioux are one of the few teams that won't take that from them.

What good is Wheeler anyway?

Well Shep was horrible as usual, and like Hab-it stated, you never let your goalie get run like that, playoffs or not. Someone needed to take charge and back up the gophers hands down best player. If Kangas is hurt, and long island Frazee is back in, you are a lot different team. With Kangas between the pipes, you guys can compete with anyone, I sure as heck don't want to meet you in the ncaa's. Cardinal was dead on, the goofs are too soft, someone needed to step in. Doesn't mean the gloves had to be dropped, but at least a show of fortitude and unity sticking up for your goaltender.

Tony Lucia actually said after the game he was happy he scored to cover his OT penalty. He said he took the penalty( cross checking behind the goal) defending Kangas after he thought MSU-M ran him. That was the only time I believe and retaliation was done.

The Gophers are such a soft team, that's why they didn't do anything back. Plus, I'm sure the Gophers did something on the ice that caused them to run into Kangas a handful of times, so it was justified.

its pretty simple - kangas is the gophers team, the whole team. take him and out and the long island frazee himself comes in and its final 5 time fro the purple cows ;) we are digging way to deep into this. the formula was simple. take kangas out and its st paul!! he stays in and plays great = final 5 for gophers no matter how bad their offense is. his save on that breakaway was very nice!

Perhaps if the goofers kept their sticks out of the mavs skates, they wouldn't have run into the goalie.

That was about the worst officiated hockey ever.

And the goofs are soft. The thing I like about UND, if someone hits you after the whistle/cheap shots you or runs Lammy we hit 'em in the mouth.

its pretty simple - kangas is the gophers team, the whole team. take him and out and the long island frazee himself comes in and its final 5 time fro the purple cows ;) we are digging way to deep into this. the formula was simple. take kangas out and its st paul!! he stays in and plays great = final 5 for gophers no matter how bad their offense is. his save on that breakaway was very nice!

Probably the most accurate summary on this thread. Well done. ;)

The Gophers are such a soft team, that's why they didn't do anything back. Plus, I'm sure the Gophers did something on the ice that caused them to run into Kangas a handful of times, so it was justified.

Color me surprised, a gopher fan that actually gets it.

Perhaps if the goofers kept their sticks out of the mavs skates, they wouldn't have run into the goalie.

That was about the worst officiated hockey ever.

And the goofs are soft. The thing I like about UND, if someone hits you after the whistle/cheap shots you or runs Lammy we hit 'em in the mouth.

Which would be a dumb-ass thing to have done. You get tossed in the box for two minutes and give up a shorthanded goal. Then at least while you watch someone else advance to the Final Five you can puff out your chest and say you protect the goalie. The best way is to light the guy up the next chance you get. It is better to be patient and tough than dumb and out of the tournament.

I thought they were pushed into the goalie - most of the time - By a goopher player - trying to dislodge the net

I didn't catch all three, but the last two Kalinski ones were not.

I think the Tony Lucia quote is interesting because he would not have had a chance to score the goal or stand up for Kangas in the second OT if Shep had been a decent official.

This series featured OTs that had 3 uncalled CFB majors. 2 on the Gophers (Peltier in Game 1, Lucia in Game 3) and one on MSUM (I don't know who, but he checked Kaufmann from behind in Game 3).

hoop- Interesting thought... but the Mavs and the Gophers have been ones to intentionally run the goaltender. I'm sure Sioux players have run the goaltender in the past, but not even at half the rate of the Mavs. Yeah, sounds like a "halo" statement, but goaltender interference is a BIG deal to me. I can't believe the amount of goaltender interference and the number of dangerous hits the goaltenders have taken in recent years that have gone unanswered.

However, Hab-It is correct. Someone has to step up. Goonish as it may seem, I recall a player (I can't remember which team it was...either MSUM or MTU because I'm pretty sure they had blue jerseys) who slapped Goehring on top of the mask at the Old Ralph. Mike Commodore skated half way across the ice and absolutely crushed the guy. It sends the message "You touch the goalie, I let you visit the training room." It's amazing. After that act by Commodore, NO ONE and I mean NO ONE touched Goehring.

If you were paying attention to the game, Lucia got a penalty for cross-checking a Mankato player pretty hard into the boards after running Kangas in OT. Not something they wanted to do, as the Gophers were very motivated to win the game, not goon it up. Lucia even said it almost cost them and thanked Kangas for bailing him out for those 2 minutes.

Also, Kangas didn't flip-out after getting run into like most goalies would have, he just got up and focused on stopping the puck, not adding drama.

If you were paying attention to the game, Lucia got a penalty for cross-checking a Mankato player pretty hard into the boards after running Kangas in OT. Not something they wanted to do, as the Gophers were very motivated to win the game, not goon it up. Lucia even said it almost cost them and thanked Kangas for bailing him out for those 2 minutes.

Also, Kangas didn't flip-out after getting run into like most goalies would have, he just got up and focused on stopping the puck, not adding drama.

Uh, that's because Kangas knows that he's the only person whose play is keeping the Gophers in contention. He flips out, Gophers lose. It's that simple. Maybe that's egotistical, but I've seen nothing from the Gophers to suggest that Kangas ISN'T the reason why they are heading to St. Paul and the NCAA tourney.

Uh, that's because Kangas knows that he's the only person whose play is keeping the Gophers in contention. He flips out, Gophers lose. It's that simple. Maybe that's egotistical, but I've seen nothing from the Gophers to suggest that Kangas ISN'T the reason why they are heading to St. Paul and the NCAA tourney.

I hope we see a nice Lammy flip out this weekend, god knows he's good for a double handed ax chop if things aren't going his way

Shocking, Sioux fans ripping a ref, and it's not even a Sioux game. I thought it was a brilliant job of officiating. They called it fair during game play (they allowed physical play, but not cheap play), and then they let the players settle it in overtime. Both teams got a way with bad penalties at different points. But it did not effect the outcome one bit. The players decided the games, not the officials. I think the Gophers got the favor of the calls early, then the Mavs caught up. It should be noted, the only penalty called in overtime las tonight was against the Gophers, and I'm still pleased.

That's how every overtime game should be played and called.

Shocking, Sioux fans ripping a ref, and it's not even a Sioux game. I thought it was a brilliant job of officiating. They called it fair during game play (they allowed physical play, but not cheap play), and then they let the players settle it in overtime. Both teams got a way with bad penalties at different points. But it did not effect the outcome one bit. The players decided the games, not the officials. I think the Gophers got the favor of the calls early, then the Mavs caught up. It should be noted, the only penalty called in overtime las tonight was against the Gophers, and I'm still pleased.

That's how every overtime game should be played and called.

;)

For the record, I didn't much care either way with the exception of CFB. Call the checking from behind penalties any time they occur OT or otherwise. Let them play otherwise.

Even Woog was wondering when Shep was going to get control of the clutching and grabbing.

hoop- Interesting thought... but the Mavs and the Gophers have been ones to intentionally run the goaltender. I'm sure Sioux players have run the goaltender in the past, but not even at half the rate of the Mavs. Yeah, sounds like a "halo" statement, but goaltender interference is a BIG deal to me. I can't believe the amount of goaltender interference and the number of dangerous hits the goaltenders have taken in recent years that have gone unanswered.

Not a halo statement IMHO

You got that right 77. Something has to be called or the "goons" will take care of it and rightfully so. The play on Lucias penalty..I was glad to see someone, anyone, finally say enough is enough. Kangas is our best player, our Crosby. Act like it boys, you touch Kangas and you will pay. They should make shirts ;)

;)

For the record, I didn't much care either way with the exception of CFB. Call the checking from behind penalties any time they occur OT or otherwise. Let them play otherwise.

Even Woog was wondering when Shep was going to get control of the clutching and grabbing.

Again, I agree with what you are saying. Bob in Wisco is going to give me the mancrush business. ;)

CFB should be called no matter the time ofe game or the score.