SiouxSports.com Forum

Question

XSIOUX

If he plays, he will lose his medical redshirt, so if he hasn't played all year except for a couple games, why start now. Let him get as healthy as possible for next year and save a year of eligibility. The kid has skills, I thought he looked fast and athletic when he played against UNH(?) for a game.

Shoulder injury? Wasn't sure why I haven't heard about him this year. He was an awesome player at TRF in high school!!

multiple surgeries over the last couple years. some athletes come back from stuff, some dont but we will see what happens with forney, wish him the best

I haven't heard from Mike in a while, but I'd suspect that the shoulder/recovery is still holding him back. I hope we get to see him out there scoring goals next year. Honestly he's one of the nicest guys I've met in my entire life. Wish him nothing but the best.

Has anyone heard anything definite that UND is going to apply for a redshirt for Forney, or is this speculation? Brad consistantly has him listed as a "healthy scratch" in all his line-ups for the weekend games.

Well, I don't think you apply until the season is over. There is certain criteria that needs to be met to get it. I forgot what they are exactly and don't feel like looking them up, but you can't play more than a certain percentage of games and whatnot, but will be available if needed until the season is over. It's just that if we do play him, he may be at a point where he'd lose his possible redshirt and then lose a year of eligibility. I think his shoulder is ok now for the most part, but why use up a whole year of eligiblity just for a few games...it's not like he'd be in game shape this time of year anyways, so why take the chance.

He did look good against UNH and created some great oppurtunities on offense, but his defense is probably a liability and his stamina most likely is not there either. I think that he will be a stud come next year as long as he doesn't get hurt again.

Medical Hardship Waiver

If a student-athlete suffers a season-ending injury or illness after competing in a limited amount of competition during a particular academic year, he/she may qualify for a medical hardship waiver which would allow him/her an additional season of competition during the five-year period of eligibility. To qualify for a medical hardship:

(a) the student-athlete's injury or illness must occur in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition or subsequent to the first day of classes in the student-athlete's senior year in high school;

(b) the injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport and must result in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; and

© the injury or illness must occur when the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests/dates of competition or 20% of the institution's scheduled contests/dates of competition in his/her sport (whichever number is greater).

Forney's played in 3 games this year, so he won't qualify for the medical hardship.

Medical Hardship Waiver

If a student-athlete suffers a season-ending injury or illness after competing in a limited amount of competition during a particular academic year, he/she may qualify for a medical hardship waiver which would allow him/her an additional season of competition during the five-year period of eligibility. To qualify for a medical hardship:

(a) the student-athlete's injury or illness must occur in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition or subsequent to the first day of classes in the student-athlete's senior year in high school;

(b) the injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport and must result in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; and

... has not participated in more than two contests/dates of competition or 20% of the institution's scheduled contests/dates of competition in his/her sport (whichever number is greater).

The rule is simple: Less than 20% of total games, none in the second half of the schedule.

When Ryan Hale hurt his shoulder in 1999-2000 he did it in Game 8 of 40, and he'd played in every game (exactly 20%, none in second half) --> Ryan got an "extra year" (sort of, see following post). When Brandon Strouth hurt a knee it was in Game 2 of 10 (or 11): He had to apply for an extra year (again, see following post).

Those injuries in the second half of a regular season schedule, or worse, your 9th game of a 40 game schedule, are the ones that sting: no (redshirt) medical hardship waiver.

Michael Forney's appeared in 3 games and the last game appearance was Game 17 (v. UNH) with 35 games on the regular season (non-exhibition) schedule: Less than 20% of total games, none in the second half of the schedule. Coincidence? I think not.

Another simple way to look at this:

You have five academic years to complete four competive seasons. (A competitive season is competing more than 20% of games, etc, etc. See above.)

Robbie got hurt in his second year of college in his second competitive season. He had three academic years to finish two seasons. No worries.

Ryan Hale? Same thing: three academic years to finish two seasons.

Brandon Strouth? He'd been a "redshirt freshman". He used up an academic year doing that. Plus, another academic year ticked by when he got hurt without meeting the "competitive season" criteria. He needed to apply for the hardship waiver year (a sixth academic year to complete four competitive seasons).

Michael Forney? He's in academic year two. I believe he's completed one competitive season (2006-07) but hasn't played enough (<20%, none in second half) to have this one, 2007-08, count as a competitive year. This leads me to believe he has three academic years left to complete three competitive seasons. Michael has no "clock" issues right now.

Where I could be wrong is if 2006-07 did not count as a competitive season for Forney. If that's the case then he'd only have three academic years to complete four competitive seasons and would need to apply for a hardship waiver (sixth academic year to complete four competitive seasons). EDIT: Forney played in at least 16 games in 2006-07 and at SCSU on March 3, 2007 so the 2006-07 season counted as his first of four competitive seasons.

You have five academic years to complete four competive seasons. (A competitive season is competing more than 20% of games, etc, etc. See above.)

Robbie got hurt in his second year of college in his second competitive season. He had three academic years to finish two seasons. No worries.

Brandon Strouth? He'd been a "redshirt freshman". He used up an academic year doing that. Plus, another academic year ticked by when he got hurt without meeting the "competitive season" criteria. He needed to apply for the hardship waiver year (a sixth academic year to complete four competitive seasons).

Michael Forney? He's in academic year two. I believe he's completed one competitive season (2006-07) but hasn't played enough (<20%, none in second half) to have this one, 2007-08, count as a competitive year. This leads me to believe he has three academic years left to complete three competitive seasons. Michael has no "clock" issues right now.

Where I could be wrong is if 2006-07 did not count as a competitive season for Forney. If that's the case then he'd only have three academic years to complete four competitive seasons and would need to apply for a hardship waiver (sixth academic year to complete four competitive seasons). EDIT: Forney played in at least 16 games in 2006-07 and at SCSU on March 3, 2007 so the 2006-07 season counted as his first of four competitive seasons.

Makes sense to me.

Medical Hardship Waiver

... Brad's blog has indicated him as a "healthy scratch - the "healthy scratch" description is what has me confused.

Heidi ... quite simply: So what. It's the smartest thing Hak can do for Michael Forney's development and career right now. Here's why ...

What matters is the "five academic year to finish four competitive seasons" rule.

Michael started UND in 2006-07 as Academic Year 1 (AY1). He completed Competitive Year 1 (16 games).

This is AY2. Assuming he doesn't play again this year he won't complete CY2, as he has only played in 3 games (none in the 2nd half of the schedule).

He'll thus have AYs 3, 4, and 5 to complete CYs 2, 3, and 4. (Three year; three seasons; it works out. No worries.)

Basically, if he doesn't play another game this year he's taken a "redshirt freshman" year (like footballers do) as a sophomore. (We know he's had surgery since the end of last season. If it becomes an issue, Brad's blog means nothing. The paperwork to the NCAA will say "surgery" and three games are explained as "he tried and couldn't go; more rehab needed". Done. )

The key is not playing another game this year gets him three competitive seasons after this one. He needs those to re-establish himself as a top end player worthy of that high draft pick used on him.

Knowing that, wouldn't you "healthy scratch" him rather than having him play a game and lose a whole competitive season (and season to get back to top-end form)?

Why am I so sure of this?

Hak played him in the Saturday UNH (an untested guy against UNH?) game: Game 17 of 35.

Game 17 of 35 was the last possible game of the first half of the schedule --> Just 3 games, none in the second half of the schedule. (See: Hardship Rule)

Hak used his last chance to see if Michael could go the rest of the way (and did so without costing Michael a competitive season). Of course, now that I've said I'll this Hak will dress and play him Friday and I'll look silly. :D

Wow you sure new alot about the game of hockey is there a chance you could parlay that into an answer on your favorite on ice player

Oshie? Will he play or not, who will take his spot in? :)

Not sure where to put this, but I guess this will work.

I saw Trupp today at lunch without a boot..... it seemed as though he still had some sort of brace or something on, but couldn't really tell because he had long pants on. I could just tell that he didn't have on a boot because he had on a real shoe.

I saw Trupp today at lunch without a boot..... it seemed as though he still had some sort of brace or something on, but couldn't really tell because he had long pants on. I could just tell that he didn't have on a boot because he had on a real shoe.

we won't see him unless we make the frozen four.

I saw trupper in gamble last week with what looked like some sort of walking cast/brace whatever the proper medical term is on his leg. hopefully he's getting better -- definitely missed on the ice. but i agree with the statement he won't be back unless we make the frozen four, and i'm crossing my fingers and then some about that -- as I will be in denver if we are there! ;)