SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Awards

siouxnami

Here is the all Siouxnami 1st, 2nd, and Rookie teams. Based on WCHA play and not cupcakes like RPI (sorry Turris)... Attempting to not be too much of a homer, but UND and CC dominate the awards as they were clearly the 2 best teams.

1st Team:

F: Ryan Lasch

F: Chad Rau

F: T.J. Oshie

D: Jack Hillen

D: Joe Finley

G: Jean-Philippe Lamoureux

2nd Team:

F: Garrett Roe

F: Andreas Nodl

F: Ryan Duncan

D: Robbie Bina

D: Chay Genoway

G: Richard Bachman

Rookie Team:

F: Garrett Roe

F: Tyler Bozak

F: Kyle Turris

D: Ryan McDonagh

D: Brendan Smith

G: Richard Bachman

Player of the Year: Chad Rau

Freshman of the Year: Richard Bachman

What do you think? BTW, I pick Joe Finley because he led the WCHA in +/- while still contributing offensively.

1ST TEAM

rau

oshie

lasch

hillen

genoway

lamoureux

2ND TEAM

roe

duncan

nodl

finley

mcbain

bachman

ROOKIE TEAM

bozak

roe

turris

youds

mcdonagh

bachman

POY = Jean-Phillipe Lamoureux

ROY = Richard Bachman

I don't watch enough of the other teams to make fair picks but with the 2 posters who have done so who would of thought before the season started that Finley,Bina,and Genoways names are mentioned but not Chorneys.

i would put chorney and bina on 3rd team, chorney could go 2nd team as well. i just thought genoway and finley go ahead but man do we have a hell of a d core! keep it going

Oddly enough, Chorney and Bina may end up on the short end of the stick. I know Chorney is 3rd on the team in defensive scoring and did a fine job, he was much less dominant than last season.

Worse yet, Bina led the WCHA in defensive scoring for a very long time until Hillen had his hat trick a week or three ago. Now he's fallen to 2nd in the WCHA (if not the NCAA) in scoring. What is going to make him fall short is that most of his points came in the first half of the year. He's been pretty quiet lately.

I can't much argue with the picks being made, but I would swap Finley and Genoway. Finley did have an impressive +/- and did contribute offensively, but Genoway's impact on the Sioux gameplan is simply staggering. He's turned into a defenseman everyone would want on their first pairing because of his offensive abilities, defensive abilities, and hockey smarts.

The only question is: Does Genoway's injury hurt his chances at first team? He'll surely make the list somewhere, but I wonder if things would have been different in this matter had he been able to finish out the season uninjured.

I believe Lasch has 23 goals and 48 points but is a MINUS 6 on the year!! That means he has been on the ice for 54 goals against!! Pathetic! That's like hitting 50 home runs but striking out 200 times. First team--no way!!

I believe Lasch has 23 goals and 48 points but is a MINUS 6 on the year!! That means he has been on the ice for 54 goals against!! Pathetic! That's like hitting 50 home runs but striking out 200 times. First team--no way!!

havent looked at numbers but you have to look at wcha games only i believe, not whole season numbers. just a note

hes worse in wcha at -7 but the top 4 are scsu players all with bad +/- :silly: hell their whole team sucks at defense

http://wcha.cstv.com/genrel/wcha-stand-stat.html

Wrong. It means the opposition has scored six more times than his team when at even strength. It doesn't mean he's been on the ice for 54 goals against (even though he has 48 points).

Which is scary considering we only scored 3 goals against them this whole weekend.

oh well, i agree but now its all about winning. i dont care if we win 2-1 or 5-0 as this point. we will see what happens this weekend hopefully we will have 2 very important offensive players in there with osh and genoway with a HARD G :D

Wrong. It means the opposition has scored six more times than his team when at even strength. It doesn't mean he's been on the ice for 54 goals against (even though he has 48 points).

I stand corrected with my GED math! He is still minus 6 for the year and if he is minus 7 in WCHA play that is even worser :D ! (There is my GED grammer as well)

1st team...

tj oshie

ryan lasch

chad rau

jack hillen

chay genoway

jpl

2nd team...

ryan duncan

tyler bozak

blake wheeler

joe finley

robbie bina

richard bachman

all-rookie team...

kyle turris

tyler bozak

garrett roe

cade fairchild

ryan mcdonagh

richard bachman

had to use 3 sioux on d because no other teams match up, our defense rocks!! :D

Lasch had 34 points in the league, 19 on the Power Play(9-10). Take those points away and he's down to 15 points in the league at even strength. The reality is, he's still a -7 in the league. That's 22 goals he was on the ice for in 28 league games, or about .78 goals/game. Not good at all, I don't think it matters how good your power play is/was. He had 19 PP points, but his line gave up 22 goals in league play at even strength. Your top players have to be better than that if you want to go places. Look at the other top teams in the league.

Forwards Only

CC: Rau +13, Sweatt +9, Kilpatrick +8

UND: Oshie +13, Duncan +15, VV +11

DU: Bozak +6

Mankato: Bruess +14

SCSU: Lasch -7, Roe -9, Nodl -8

Looking at all the stats, Lasch will be 1st team because of his scoring title/numbers, but I don't think I would vote him there if I had a choice. That's just me.

Lasch had 34 points in the league, 19 on the Power Play(9-10). Take those points away and he's down to 15 points in the league at even strength. The reality is, he's still a -7 in the league. That's 22 goals he was on the ice for in 28 league games, or about .78 goals/game. Not good at all, I don't think it matters how good your power play is/was. He had 19 PP points, but his line gave up 22 goals in league play at even strength. Your top players have to be better than that if you want to go places. Look at the other top teams in the league.

Forwards Only

CC: Rau +13, Sweatt +9, Kilpatrick +8

UND: Oshie +13, Duncan +15, VV +11

DU: Bozak +6

Mankato: Bruess +14

SCSU: Lasch -7, Roe -9, Nodl -8

Looking at all the stats, Lasch will be 1st team because of his scoring title/numbers, but I don't think I would vote him there if I had a choice. That's just me.

I have to agree. If you are on the ice when the other team scores at even strength more times than when you are on the ice when your team scores at even strength, at some point you become a liability. Maybe Motzko should only play those guys on the powerplay - maybe St. Clown would have secured home ice earlier if he had.

I have to agree. If you are on the ice when the other team scores at even strength more times than when you are on the ice when your team scores at even strength, at some point you become a liability. Maybe Motzko should only play those guys on the powerplay - maybe St. Clown would have secured home ice earlier if he had.

I think we can infer that LASCH is more offensively focused.

Horrible, awful, terrible comparison. These two things are in no way related.

Hasn't the "knock" on Bochenski always been "he can't play defense"? The NHL apparently takes that kind of seriously.

sure if you arent putting up 50 plus points but not sure what the nhl has to do with wcha all selection teams?

Here's my picks. Any resemblance to what actually happens is purely coincidental.

First Team

F Chad Rau CC JR -- POTY

F T.J. Oshie North Dakota JR

F Ryan Lasch St. Cloud State SO

D Jack Hillen CC SR - DOTY

D Joe Finley North Dakota JR

G Richard Bachman CC - also ROTY

Second Team

F Andreas Nodl St. Cloud State SO

F Jimmy Kilpatrick CC SR

F Ryan Duncan North Dakota JR

D Chay Genoway North Dakota SO