SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Awards

siouxnami

Farce copied my first team that I posted on March 5th!

How about that ... I went through all the stats, also who impressed me over the course of the season, including a lot of non-UND TV games. I didn't look through the other picks, deliberately so I didn't get swayed.

Since you picked my team :D only earlier, that makes your picks more prescient. I wanted the last weekend....:D

Couple comments:

Finley's +25 in league games - almost 1 goal per game !!! - towers over the rest of the league.

Oshie's +13 was a determining factor, as was Duncan's +15. (Couldn't pick Bruess at +14.)

Rau - 5 SHG are you kidding me?

I chose NOT to pick any rookie skaters on the 3 teams, I just didn't see the two-way impact (although Bozak came close). They get a rookie honor "instead".

I'd have liked to found room for Kozek, Wheeler, and Kalinski, all of whom impressed.

Trotter would have been 1st team if he were still around.

Goal scoring - even strength (excluding PPG and SHG): Rau 13, Walsky CC 10, Kozek Berge and Wheeler with 9. In a year where goals are hard to come by, I put more weight on goals (vs points).

Contrary to many posters on this board, I believe Chorney is the most valuable D for the Sioux this year, even though he probably has not played to his full potential this year.

He logs a lot of pp and pk time, as well as time against the opposition top line. This allows the coaches to pair Genoway and Finley, giving Genoway a chance to use his speed with Finley backing him up. I also think Taylor has had to cover up a lot of miscues from his partner this year.

He has had his share of mistakes as well, but I can't think of another D in the league/nation I would want on the ice with the game on the line. I'm sure the coaches feel the same way too.

Lasch had 34 points in the league, 19 on the Power Play(9-10). Take those points away and he's down to 15 points in the league at even strength. The reality is, he's still a -7 in the league. That's 22 goals he was on the ice for in 28 league games, or about .78 goals/game. Not good at all, I don't think it matters how good your power play is/was. He had 19 PP points, but his line gave up 22 goals in league play at even strength. Your top players have to be better than that if you want to go places. Look at the other top teams in the league.

Forwards Only

CC: Rau +13, Sweatt +9, Kilpatrick +8

UND: Oshie +13, Duncan +15, VV +11

DU: Bozak +6

Mankato: Bruess +14

SCSU: Lasch -7, Roe -9, Nodl -8

Looking at all the stats, Lasch will be 1st team because of his scoring title/numbers, but I don't think I would vote him there if I had a choice. That's just me.

Keep in mind you are just taking into consideration his points. Lasch having 15 points in league play at even strength doesn't necessarily mean that he was on the ice for 22 goals against. He may have been on the ice for more St. Cloud goals however he may not have recorded a point. If that is the case (and I'm sure he was on the ice for goals that he didn't get a point on) then he would have had to be on the ice for more goals against as well.

I really think Rett Rhakshani and Chris VandeVelde deserve to be recognized on these teams

POTY - Lammy

ROTY - Garrett Roe

DOTY - Hillen

First Team

F Chad Rau CC

F T.J. Oshie North Dakota

F Ryan Lasch St. Cloud State

D Jack Hillen CC

D Chay Genoway North Dakota

G Jean-Philippe Lamoureux North Dakota

Second Team

F Andreas Nodl St. Cloud State

F Jimmy Kilpatrick CC

F Ryan Duncan North Dakota JR

D Joe Finley North Dakota

D Jamie McBain Wisconsin

G Richard Bachman

Third Team

F Chris VandeVelde North Dakota

F Garrett Roe St. Cloud State

F Rhett Rakhshani Denver

D Chris Butler Denver

D Robbie Bina North Dakota

G Peter Mannino Denver

Rookie Team

F Garrett Roe St. Cloud State

F Tyler Bozak Denver

F Kyle Turris Wisconsin

D Cade Fairchild Minnesota

D Ryan McDonagh Wisconsin

G Richard Bachman CC

Here are my picks

First team

F -- T.J. Oshie, UND

F -- Chad Rau, CC

F -- Ryan Lasch, SCSU

D -- Jack Hillen, CC

D -- Joe Finley, UND

G -- JPL, UND

Second team

F -- Ryan Duncan, UND

F -- Blake Wheeler, Minn

F -- Andreas Nodl, SCSU

D -- Chay Genoway, UND

D -- Taylor Chorney, UND

G -- Richard Bachman, CC

Rookie team

F -- Garrett Roe, SCSU

F -- Tyler Bozak, DU

F -- Kyle Turris, UW

D -- Ryan McDonagh Wisconsin

D -- Cade Fairchild, Minn

G -- Richard Bachman, CC

Please, people, just post what you really think:

1st Team

F Oshie

F Kozek

F Duncan

D Finley

D Genoway

G JPL

2nd Team

F Vandevelde

F Kaip

F Zajac

D Chorney

D Bina

G Walski

3rd Team

F Trupp

F Miller

F Radke

D LaPoint

D Jones

G Snider

Rookie

F Malone

F Frattin

F Trupp

D LaPoint

D Marto

G Snider

I mean, why do other teams even bother showing up to play?

1st Team

F Oshie

F Kozek

F Duncan

D Finley

D Genoway

G JPL

2nd Team

F Vandevelde

F Kaip

F Zajac

D Chorney

D Bina

G Walski

3rd Team

F Trupp

F Miller

F Radke

D LaPoint

D Jones

G Snider

Rookie

F Malone

F Frattin

F Trupp

D LaPoint

D Marto

G Snider

:D:D

[snip]

I'd be willing to sneak Stalock onto the 3rd team if it would make you feel better. :D

But seriously, BTW, I had Garrison as he was impressive. Hard to get many slots for the 8th place team, even though there's multiple guys that merit consideration.

I'd be willing to sneak Stalock onto the 3rd team if it would make you feel better. :D

But seriously, BTW, I had Garrison as he was impressive. Hard to get many slots for the 8th place team, even though there's multiple guys that merit consideration.

That's right, you were the one guy, and I commented to MEg about it. She was pissed about the Tech slighting. (3rd team I would put MLT or Zacharias).

I posted this on Goon's blog: "Points alone are not the judge of a good defenceman. Well, UMD's PK is #4 and defence has been one of the bright spots for tDogs this year, and NO ONE [excepting Farce Poobah!] has mentioned ANY tUMD players. Jason Garrison is probably missing because he is injured, but he has 0.63 p/g, which is better than Bina, Chorney, Finley. Travis Gawryletz doesn't have very many points but he is as good of a defensive defenceman as you can get. Of course, you forget those guys are there until they 1. hit someone or 2. make a mistake. Look at Schultzy for the Wild. You may go a whole game without hearing his name, because he is DOING HIS JOB. Michigan Tech is another defence-oriented team and no one has nominated anyone from Tech either. The problem is that most people do not have a good enough understanding of how the game is played, so all they go on is points. A good defenceman is judged by blocked shots, hits, and positioning [amongst other things], and none of those are headline stats."

I'm not just complaining because no one has UMD players on their lists. There are 10 teams in the league and there are excellent, deserving players on all 10 of them.

UMDDogz, I was going to email you this thread because I knew you'd laugh, but I see you already got it. LOL.

Here is the all Siouxnami 1st, 2nd, and Rookie teams. Based on WCHA play and not cupcakes like RPI (sorry Turris)... Attempting to not be too much of a homer, but UND and CC dominate the awards as they were clearly the 2 best teams.

1st Team:

F: Ryan Lasch

F: Chad Rau

F: T.J. Oshie

D: Jack Hillen

D: Joe Finley

G: Jean-Philippe Lamoureux

2nd Team:

F: Garrett Roe

F: Andreas Nodl

F: Ryan Duncan

D: Robbie Bina

D: Chay Genoway

G: Richard Bachman

Rookie Team:

F: Garrett Roe

F: Tyler Bozak

F: Kyle Turris

D: Ryan McDonagh

D: Brendan Smith

G: Richard Bachman

Player of the Year: Chad Rau

Freshman of the Year: Richard Bachman

What do you think? BTW, I pick Joe Finley because he led the WCHA in +/- while still contributing offensively.

Finley ahead of Chorney and Bina. Interesting.

That's right, you were the one guy, and I commented to MEg about it. She was pissed about the Tech slighting. (3rd team I would put MLT or Zacharias).

I posted this on Goon's blog: "Points alone are not the judge of a good defenceman. Well, UMD's PK is #4 and defence has been one of the bright spots for tDogs this year, and NO ONE [excepting Farce Poobah!] has mentioned ANY tUMD players. Jason Garrison is probably missing because he is injured, but he has 0.63 p/g, which is better than Bina, Chorney, Finley. Travis Gawryletz doesn't have very many points but he is as good of a defensive defenceman as you can get. Of course, you forget those guys are there until they 1. hit someone or 2. make a mistake. Look at Schultzy for the Wild. You may go a whole game without hearing his name, because he is DOING HIS JOB. Michigan Tech is another defence-oriented team and no one has nominated anyone from Tech either. The problem is that most people do not have a good enough understanding of how the game is played, so all they go on is points. A good defenceman is judged by blocked shots, hits, and positioning [amongst other things], and none of those are headline stats."

I'm not just complaining because no one has UMD players on their lists. There are 10 teams in the league and there are excellent, deserving players on all 10 of them.

UMDDogz, I was going to email you this thread because I knew you'd laugh, but I see you already got it. LOL.

... and the years that UND was 8th in the league, there was griping in GF because only 1 Sioux made it. I hear you, it may be the #3 and #4 players on top teams had better years than anyone on a 9th or 10th place team. 24 total slots, 10 teams ...

I thought a lot about MLT, as save % was right up there, and with Tech's D being what it is, he faced tougher chances night-in night-out than say Mannino. I thought about it as "if you swapped Mannino and Teslak, what impact on each team?" Tough calls. Mankato was WAY better with Zacharias in net, and Kangas led MN's "surge" late.

I thought about Rouleau, as he scored some big goals (although only 1 GWG) for Tech. I just couldn't pick him over guys like Berge or Rhakshani, although I can see why others might.

I thought about Gawyrletz - ultimately the -16 in conference games led me to not pick him. Realizing, he spends most of each game matched up with the other teams best line. (If memory serves, he played with Niskanen some last year; that was a good pairing for him.)

Good luck vs. DU.