Favorite Sioux Goalie

hermit

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mid to late 70's.

Any other questions?

Sounds like the parents then had their heads on the shoulders instead of up thier a()es. They stayed at the players homes? That was a great idea that maybe should be brought back.

Sounds like the parents then had their heads on the shoulders instead of up thier a()es. They stayed at the players homes? That was a great idea that maybe should be brought back.

There were many kids that went to host families. My parents always had a carfull on the road trip, and always stayed in a hotel (usually the Devils Lake teams did stay in a hotel wherever they went). But many times when teams came to DL, they were in private homes and the Eagles Club, Knights of Columbus and Elks would take turns and put on breakfasts and dinners for the teams and coaches. It was a different world then, and it was a good one.

There were many kids that went to host families. My parents always had a carfull on the road trip, and always stayed in a hotel (usually the Devils Lake teams did stay in a hotel wherever they went). But many times when teams came to DL, they were in private homes and the Eagles Club, Knights of Columbus and Elks would take turns and put on breakfasts and dinners for the teams and coaches. It was a different world then, and it was a good one.

You are right about it being a good one. You could put a lot of kids in a car before every kid needed a big bag to haul their stuff in. Geez those kids and parents must of had a blast back then. What happened?

You are right about it being a good one. You could put a lot of kids in a car before every kid needed a big bag to haul their stuff in. Geez those kids and parents must of had a blast back then. What happened?

I do remember it as being fun, and I dont ever remember my parents complaining that we had to go to Dickinson for a game on saturday and to Fargo for the sunday game, all with a car (suburbans were just work vehicles then) and an extra kid or two.

I do remember it as being fun, and I dont ever remember my parents complaining that we had to go to Dickinson for a game on saturday and to Fargo for the sunday game, all with a car (suburbans were just work vehicles then) and an extra kid or two.

Not enough seatbelts to go around either back then. I was thinking the same thing about Suburbans. Now parents complain in a bragging sort of way.

Okay, I may take some flak for this, but considering we are choosing guys for their total person concept (ie. good teammate, citizen, etc..). Here is my list:

1. Ralph Englestad: gave us the Palace on the Prairie, never forgot his roots

2. Casey: stud goalie, awesome guy to work with at the old Sioux hockey schools

3. Steady Eddie: stud goalie, great to party with (shoots Jaegermeister with the best of em')

4. Karl Goering (spelling?): solid goalie, little guy with huge heart

5. There are a ton of guys you can stick here for a variety of reasons (Strohm, Jensen, Parise, JPL, Iwabuchi, etc...)

The point is that the legacy of Sioux goaltenders is rich. Quality netminders with their own little nuances that cause us all to remember them for various reasons.

TRADITION!

• 2 months later...
I would say I liked Schweitzer because we won a championship with him. That team he was on basically was the foundation for what we have right now.

I actually liked both goalies from the 1997 team. Schweitzer for stepping in and leading the team to the title and Toby K for graciously accepting his role with the team and not complaining. The picture of Toby on the bench hugging Dean Blais near the end of the Sioux/BU game in 1997 is one I won't soon forget.

I have to agree Toby was a class act he also works great with the youth I remember the summer hockey schools with him as one of the instructors.

So I'm driving into work this morning and AM1500 (St. Paul) has a story about ice still being on lakes in the Brainard area and how this will affect the MN Governor's fishing opener. In the story the interview the guy who will be Pawlenty's guide and his name is Toby Kvalevog - I'm assuming it's the former UND goalie. Great gig! Anyway, given the guv is a big Gopher puck fan I'm looking forward to some video of jersey tugging and face washing on the boat. :glare:

Thought it was interesting but not worth starting a thread and stumbled across this thread.

So I'm driving into work this morning and AM1500 (St. Paul) has a story about ice still being on lakes in the Brainard area and how this will affect the MN Governor's fishing opener. In the story the interview the guy who will be Pawlenty's guide and his name is Toby Kvalevog - I'm assuming it's the former UND goalie. Great gig! Anyway, given the guv is a big Gopher puck fan I'm looking forward to some video of jersey tugging and face washing on the boat. :glare:

Thought it was interesting but not worth starting a thread and stumbled across this thread.

Bemidji's own Toby Kvalevog and former fighting sioux goalie.

Should be a good, old fashioned donnybrook. My money is on Kvalevog.

Oh for peete's sake... don't you understand that when you lead your team to that many playoff games you're bound to throw an occassional INT? The tradeoff is more than worth it for 2 NFC Championships and a Lombardi trophy. That's two more NFC Championships and one more Lombardi trophy than the Vikings have won since Fran Tarketon retired.

I'm sorry that your favorite NFL hasn't had a franchise QB in 30 years and therefore you resort to taking potshots against a 1st ballot HOF QB that happened to play for your most bitter rival. Jealousy makes people do funny things. :glare:

Now, to bring the thread back on topic... my favorite Sioux goalies are:

1. Ed Belfour

2. Jon Casey

3. Jordan Parise

4. Karl Goehring

5. Phil Lamoureux

I am with you DaveK but MM will tell you that his favorite team isnt the Vikings....he just does not like Brett Favre(which he is entitled too). He just likes to throw in those little potshots at Favre and the Packer Nation to get them riled up, the best thing is to not respond to him when he talks about Favre. He is still upset that Sean Landeta retired and no one said a word!