SiouxSports.com Forum

Denver Post Article on the Wild

MinnesotaNorthStar

Ugly Truth is Wild no match for Avs

This article gave me yet another reason to hate the Colorado Avalanche and most of thier fans. This article was brought to my attention by a friend of mine at Minnesota State-Mankato as well as WPoS. Kiszla is obviously unaware that the Wild play a defensive style of hockey. To quote Barry Melrose, "When the Wild score the first goal, they are one of the best teams in the NHL." The New Jersey Devils play the same style of hockey and it has won them a couple Stanley Cups (One of which was under current Wild head coach Jacques Lemaire).

The Avs have never had a bad team. Thier fans have been very spoiled. They were built in Quebec and moved to Colorado, won a Cup straight out of the gate. Kiszla was obviously stunned that the Wild, a third year expansion team, could come into the Pepsi Center, and beat the all mighty Avalanche in the playoffs no the less. Calling Kuba and Mitchell thugs for standing up Forsberg (yes, it can be done) who, I'm sorry but it's true, isn't known for his sportsmanlike play. I've seen Forsberg take more stupid penalties than any other scoring forward in the NHL (by scoring, I don't include guys like Tie Domi and Donald Brashear). I can't wait for the year when the Avalanche are a sub .500 team that doesn't make the playoffs, and Colorado fans know what it is like to sit and watch their team get annihilated by the oppostion.

Mr. Kiszla, the Wild do belong on the same ice as the Avs. They've played them tough all four games. Patrick Roy was the main reason that Minnesota wasn't within less than a few goals, and in my opinion why it is 3-1 Avs instead of 2-2 or maybe even 3-1 Wild. I realize that Dwayne Roloson has played outstanding in the series as well, but you and I both know he is not the quality goalie that Roy is. I didn't really expect the Wild to win as Colorado has a lot of offensive weapons (especially the AMP line), but I didn't expect Anaheim to beat (much less sweep) the Red Wings either.

Now I want to make a point to the Avs fans on this board (leif, elmdf (sp), etc...). I do not include you guys with the majority of Avs fans, I want to make that very clear. I forgot which one of you said that Kiszla is not a very good commentator, and that is good to hear. My roommate is an Avs fan too, and he agrees that Kiszla was out of line with the article.

OK, I am done ranting, Go Wild!! IF Colorado ends up winning the series, I hope that they get absolutely destroyed in the second round. Most likey St. Louis or Anaheim.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"After two playoff games, the Avs can barely hide their Wild contempt for this nuisance. And can anybody really blame them?"

I found this statement particularly amusing. I've seen all of the games and I'm a huge Avs fan...but I also like the Wild. BUt, I've not seen any contempt from the Avs toward the "nuisance" of the Wild. It actually seems like the Avs have shown quite a bit of respect for the Wild, especially since the Wild were able to come into the Pepsi center and win game one. I don't think anyone expected that. I certainly didn't...but I also certainly didn't think that it couldn't have happened. The Wild are a damn good team...and if anyone noticed (especially Kiszla) the Avs were pretty piss poor until their victory against the Wings on around January 18th. I mean they were PATHETIC (relative to previous years, of course) for the first few months of the season and weren't even in the playoff hunt at that point (something that cost Bob Hartley his job). The Avs peaked at just the right time and rode that wave of great play into the playoffs. The Wild, however, have been strong nearly all season. And they've played very well against the Avs. Like you said, it's been greatly due to Roy that the Wild haven't scored many more goals in this series. That's not to say that the rest of the Avs haven't been playing well also; it just means that the Wild are a strong team and guys like Gaborik and Walz have been pretty good at skating with the Avs big guns. I've been really impressed with the Wild.

"The Wild is a hockey team that tries to goad you into doing something stupid. Minnesota lives for the dumb turnover, the odd-man rush, the penalty of frustration and the soft goal."

Well DUH...Isn't that what any good hockey team is going to do? My God, many games are decided by dumb turnovers (remember when Roy passed the puck to a Kings' forward in game five of their series the year the Avs won the Cup, letting the Kings back into the series and sending it to seven games before they finally ended it?) I mean that entire run at the Cup hinged on dumb turnovers. The Sioux themselves lived off of odd-man rushes throughout the late 90s and continue until this day. And, I can't even tell you how many games have been won by soft goals and given away by taking stupid penalties late in the game. jackass.

I'd also like to point out that the Denver Post is not really known for its intelligent and insightful columnists. Has anyone ever seen Woody Paige on that sports show (I think it's on FSN) AROUND THE HORN? Paige is on quite a bit and I just have to say that the guy is a complete and total !@#$%!. He gives me and most of the Colorado fans that I know (irregardless of sport) terrible headaches everytime we see/hear him.

"OK, I am done ranting, Go Wild!! IF Colorado ends up winning the series, I hope that they get absolutely destroyed in the second round. Most likey St. Louis or Anaheim."

Don't worry about ranting when something pisses you off. I also found the article pretty stupid. However, I can't follow in you desires to see the Avs destroyed in the second round. ;)

But, I'd also like to point out that this round is FAR from over. I think the Wild are a tough team (as I think that any team who makes the playoffs has a legitimate chance to go all the way...look at the Canes last year...granted they didn't win, but my roommate is a gigantic Devils fan--poor fella--and you can't even imagine the words flying out of his mouth when we'd watch that series last year, mainly because he didn't believe that there was any way that the Canes could have beaten the Devils).

At any rate, I'll not breath easily again until the Avs are once again hoisting Sir Stanley's Cup high above their heads in about 6 weeks. ;):huh::D

Ok, the Av's may be showing they're the better team right now by being up 3-1 in the series (and that's what's important in the playoffs), but over the long-haul BOTH teams won 42 games this season.

The difference maker? The Av's were able to hold off and lose in OT (8 times) where the Wild lost those games in regulation (only 1 in OT).

The Wild lost 30 total games, the Av's 27 (adding L and OTL). Obviously the Wild are nothing but a "bye" for the Av's. Too bad they actually have to play.

Honeslty, I think its incredible that a 3rd year expansion team made it into the playoffs in the 6 spot. They didn't back in, they didn't "get lucky", they worked their arse off and secured a play-off spot and actually battled for seeding. They just happened to catch a good team that's playing great (or at a minimum who's goalie has started playing great). 95 points is nothing shabby.

I don't think he was trying to win friends, rather he's trying to get under the skin of Wild fans, and it seems to have worked. I've seen threads about this on every message board visited by Twin Cities-area hockey fans. Point, Kiszla.

It's not like he's just making it up the anti-Wild animosity, either. There is a lot of dislike for the Wild among NHL fans outside the 200-mile radius around Minneapolis. The Wild engage in a perfectly legal style of play that annoys everyone who's not a fan (and bores quite a few people who are fans). Wild fans can now correctly respond, "but we win games with it," and that is the best revenge; but they can't complain that they're unpopular.

Lest I now get eviscerated-- yes, Kiszla was classless and a major homer. I'm just saying there's a reason you see articles like this about the Wild but not about other playoff teams that had just as few or fewer regular season points (Lightning, Caps, Bruins, Islanders, Ducks, Oilers). Well, maybe the Islanders...

WOW. I guess Kizla really did P you off!

Like I said before, I'm not a Kizla fan either. I do like the Av's, mainly because they are a fun team to watch and they are our local team. I agree that a lot of the Avs "Fans" I could do without.

Colorado has been a booming state the last decade. I believe when I moved here 15 years ago (jeez, that's a long time!) there were about 2.5 million people in the whole state. Now there are over 4 million. That's like adding 3 North Dakotas in 15 years. Like myself, there are a lot of "transplants" living here. The difference is, I came from a hockey area, the vast majority of transplants didn't.

Although it's getting better, a lot of the "Fans" haven't a clue about what's going on in a game. They seem to watch for the fights and can't believe it when an opposing player checks an Avalanche player and takes the puck away that a penalty wasn't called. It's getting better, but it's not like watching hockey in Grand Forks or in the cities. I'm sure that the Wild have their clueless fans also, but I would bet that the percentage is greater here.

I think it's great that the Wild made it to the playoffs in their third year. A real credit to their coach and the organization. They just don't have the talent to match the Avs. That's the way it is. Colorado is lucky to have this team and the organization that followed it from Quebec. Pierre Lacroix(sp?) is a hell of a GM, probably the best in the league. It's really his team, he made it what it is today.

I like living in Colorado, it's a beautiful state and the people are nice. However, I can't tell you how many times the conversation "what are you doing this weekend" may come up at work and I'll just say "I'm going to a hockey game." I never even mention that I'm heading to CC or Denver and the reply will always be "Oh, I'd love to go to an Avalanche game." followed by "I love the fighting, but I don't know what the rules are" or some similar statement. I just laugh and say I'm going to a college hockey game. I usually just get a blank stare. Transplants don't even know that DU or CC play hockey. And it's not the "cool" place to go.

With a decent regular season seat to an NHL game costing around $70.00, I"ll stick with going to the college games where they actually make an effort in the regular season. Regular season NHL is slow and boring. The playoff games are great ,but are WAY too expensive IMHO. I'll watch them on TV.

I'd also like to point out that the Denver Post is not really known for its intelligent and insightful columnists. Has anyone ever seen Woody Paige on that sports show (I think it's on FSN) AROUND THE HORN? Paige is on quite a bit and I just have to say that the guy is a complete and total !@#$%!. He gives me and most of the Colorado fans that I know (irregardless of sport) terrible headaches everytime we see/hear him.

Around the Horn is on ESPN...Woody Paige is actually one of my favorite people on the show. Not because he has something intelligent to say, but because he also hates that little weasel Max Kellerman (Kellerman hates hockey and thinks it is a worthless sport where all they do is fight...this coming from a boxing analyst).

I was just about to edit my post because I just caught Around the Horn on ESPN about half an hour ago. I do appreciate Paige's defense of hockey....but I still think he's a bit of a !@#$%!. ;)

I'm afraid I'm not a terribly big fan of the show in general...it never seems to me like anyone actually ever says anything. This may, of course, be a product of the format. Kellerman gets to mute anyone anytime they start to say something he doesn't like...which makes for a very lopsided and rather silent show.

MinnesotaNorthStar, Do you think the Wild should have stuck with Roloson, or are you happy with both guys in net? As much as I do like Fernandez and think he is just as capable, I find it odd to be doing the goalie switch in the playoffs, especially when Roloson really isn't playing poorly. Tough call here because they are both capable goaltenders, just thought I'd get some insight from a Wild fan on it.

This series is a tough one for me. My allegiance is, and always will be with the Avs, but you gotta like the Wild too. They are building a pretty good team the old fashioned way, and I have respect for that. Doesn't hurt that Roche and Bombardir and members of the team also. The reason I am Avs fan is because of Landon Wilson, I started really getting into hockey at the same time he became an Av, so the choice for me was easy to make.

I would like to see a couple more games in this series, and get back to Minnesota and hear that crowd again. Nice to see NHL hockey and playoff hockey back in Minnesota.

That's a tough call...I think that the main reason Roloson was pulled was because the Avs had 2 goals on 4 shots, and Lemaire knew that Fernandez is just about as good as Roli and was think ing at that point he might have to be pulling him anyway, so why not while Manny is still warm. If it were me I would have stuck with Roloson, but Jacques does know what he's doing. ;)

You're right, Roloson has been playing unbelievable in the playoffs, he's just getting outplayed by Patrick Roy, which happens a lot, I mean it's Patrick Roy...not many can say they are just as good, much less better, than he is.

If the Wild are going to any damage in the playoffs, now or in the future, they will need to get some forwards who can stay on the puck. While the "knock" on the Wild is that they are a defensive team, I think their biggest problem is they have too many smaller, albeit talented, forwards. When the Wild play a very physical team, they tend to lose the puck at critical times in their own zone and mid ice.

Colorado is lucky to have this team and the organization that followed it from Quebec. Pierre Lacroix(sp?) is a hell of a GM, probably the best in the league. It's really his team, he made it what it is today.

The Av's are lucky to have a owner that has deep pockets and is able to afford the expensive players and free agents. They are going to be tough to beat this season and maybe the Stanley Cup playoffs...

It the finals play out like I think it will the Devils and Av's will be playing in the month of June...

Man that would be a hell of a match up...

The Av's are lucky to have a owner that has deep pockets and is able to afford the expensive players and free agents. They are going to be tough to beat this season and maybe the Stanley Cup playoffs...

It the finals play out like I think it will the Devils and Av's will be playing in the month of June...

Man that would be a hell of a match up...

LETS GO DEVILS!!!!

Good night Boston... Who's next?

If that is the case, I just hope that match up ends up the same way it did in 2001. ;)

I do to that would be great, I have been watching Collorado since 1996. The Av's have had some great players and have gotten them because their ownership is not chincy with with money. If Minnesota keeps running the team cheap they will never win a stanley cup they will be competing with the Oilers, Nashvilles and the weak sisters of the NHL. They are going to have to spend some money and get some big name free agents.

I have been an Av's fan since they left Quebec (I could never cheer for a team in Quebec or Monteal) and l really like this years team, although probably not as talented as 2001 because they don't have Ray Bourque. I just don't think the Wild can win the series, and yes I am also a wild fan. So for me this series is a win-win situation.

Detroit being out of the playoffs makes me happy, Vancover is going to be the next out out of the playoffs after they get bounced by St. Louis and I dont think the AVs are going to have any trouble beating the Ducks, Oilers, Stars or Blues if they should play them... Just my opinion...

Remember that the Wild are (is) a very new team, as with any expansion team they start off with a bunch of players that the other teams dont want on their first 3 lines. Over time they will have some higher budget players but for now they are doing fine... No one expected the Wild to be in the playoffs in the beginning of the season and to take the AVs to Game 6 is very promising.

I am not saying the Wild will go all the way, but Lemaire has won a cup with a similar team (NJ). When Jersey won that first cup they had Brodeur as thier main player and that was really it. The Devils of that year was a very defensive team granted with more size than the wild but that will come.

Wild fans should be very happy with their team this year... No complaints. ;)

I thought the Wild were done but they pull it out 3-2 in Colorado and bring it back home.

I have no illusions that they will win this series but a home win would really make things exciting.

Yes it would. I would like for the first home playoff win to be this year.

There are some really good series this year...Dallas and Edmonton are now tied at 2 in the second with Dallas leading the series 3-2, Philly and Toronto...nuff said about that one, and Vancouver just brought the series within one (down 3-2 now) with St. Louis. Tampa Bay and Washington is a hell of a series, also. The only two that haven't been this year are New Jersey-Boston and Detroit-Anaheim. Even Ottawa-NYI series were 5 great games.

I was watching the Avalanche news conference. They had a look of shock on their faces. The Avs went into this game talking about how they don't want to play a 6th game and they are taking the Wild seriously. Well, they had better take them seriously now!

Gotta give credit to the Wild, they played a tough defensive game (as usual). It's getting interesting now. Damn that Minnesota hockey! ;)

I was watching the Avalanche news conference. They had a look of shock on their faces. The Avs went into this game talking about how they don't want to play a 6th game and they are taking the Wild seriously. Well, they had better take them seriously now!

Gotta give credit to the Wild, they played a tough defensive game (as usual). It's getting interesting now. Damn that Minnesota hockey! ;)

I chould just see the Wild players asking the Denver Post, how do you like us now. I am sure that artilce allowed the Wild to have some bulletin board material. It was a gritty win for the Wild. It will be interesting to see what happens now. The Av's like to drag series out.

I think the Wild started to wilt a bit towards the end of the game, once the Avs got their act together. I think the Avs will take the series just on talent and depth, but I did enjoy watching/listening to the boos raining down on the Avs yesterday. :D;) That said, I've got tickets for the next matchup. :huh:

I have to say that right now I am very satisfied with the way the Wild's season has turned out. To make the playoffs in only their third year of existance is very good. Then to take a team with the skill and depth of Colorado to at least ;) six games is pretty amazing (winning both of them at the Pepsi Center too). I must say I don't have any complaints about our season.

I have to say that right now I am very satisfied with the way the Wild's season has turned out.  To make the playoffs in only their third year of existance is very good.  Then to take a team with the skill and depth of Colorado to at least :huh: six games is pretty amazing (winning both of them at the Pepsi Center too).  I must say I don't have any complaints about our season.

I should mention, however, that I am greedy bastard...and I want a frickin Cup ;)

Minnesota hockey, a thorn in the side of all other hockey teams at all levels of play ;)

I'm just hoping for a home win, it'd be nice for the Wild to win their last game at home, not that the fans won't be supportive in a loss, I just think the team genuinely wants to win one at home for the fans regardless of the outcome of the series.

Its been a fun ride all season, I couldn't be more proud of the team if they do or don't win again this season.