SiouxSports.com Forum

Another One Jumps Ship to the Pros

Siouxman

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2008/02/16_reaney.php

Another college player has jumped ship and signed a pro contract. Les Reaney signed, jumping ship from Niagara which is on a 7 game unbeaten streak. Not a good trend we are seeing this year.

I hope that somewhere down the road the NCAA could work with the NHL to remedy this. My guess is that the NCAA will address this as soon as they bring closure to more important issues like mascot and nickname changes! :lol:

My first question was there a suspension or something?

Isn't this the kid that wanted to play for the Sioux that had issues with his work ethic.

I don't know much about work ethic or why UND didn't pursue him, but yes, Les Reaney was definitely interested in playing for the Sioux.

He had a pretty good freshman year for Niagara.

Was it Niagara or Canisius that had all of the scandals with their head coaches and program in general to the point that there was even rumors of the college shutting the program down?

I don't know much about work ethic or why UND didn't pursue him, but yes, Les Reaney was definitely interested in playing for the Sioux.

He had a pretty good freshman year for Niagara.

Was it Niagara or Canisius that had all of the scandals with their head coaches and program in general to the point that there was even rumors of the college shutting the program down?

Canisius...

Niagara is most famous for beating UNH in the NCAA tourney, which at that time was a monumental upset.... :lol:

this will be addressed in the off season. you cant make it so a kid has to stay 1 or 2 years minimum because of how the nhl draft works with how young they are but there hopefully will be a rule for any players. drafted or undrafted that you have to complete the season with your college team then move on. im sure there will be a loophole if you get suspended like trotter but who knows.

It takes two to make a deal.

What was really going on in the heads of Okposo, Trotter, and now Reaney.

Team issues? School issues? Money issues?

exactly, the trotter situation doesnt compare to okposos. trotter was going to be suspended. okposo just jumped ship. way different. dont know on reaney. im sure a rule will be put in to play out your year once you have commited to come back in the fall. thats about all they can do. drafted or undrafted. this would obviously only apply to the pros. echl/ahl/nhl

Maybe this was made public somewhere else, but WHY was Trotter going to be suspended? Or is the dasher troll still keeping that quiet?

not going to be made public. it was the university that would have suspended him i believe, not the hockey team. obviously not a good situation or he would still be with denver

It'll never happen, you can't force a kid to stay in school, you can't force him from not accepting employment once he has left school, the only possible way would be for the NHL to take a pick away from a franchise or fine them heavily.

i agree. the way the nhl draft system works and how you are owned by teams will prevent a rule. its so different than other pro sports. the only thing they can do is put a rule in that you cant sign pro but you can go play juniors. still a long shot but just a idea. the nba and nfl is so different because you dont get drafted til you decide to leave school so a different system. baseball as well as if you dont go pro out of high school then you can re enter the draft and leave after 3 years of college.

like you said the draft picks taken away may be the only option and if so make it a high draft pick/s. fines wont stop a nhl club but even if it does happen there has to be opt out rules like in the trotter situation where he was going to be suspended so moved on to the pros. very sticky situation in a whole and i dont see a whole lot being done about it.

Maybe if other schools put the pride in there program the way that UND does, they wouldn't have to worry about jumping ship mid season. I will take our lumps after the season fo losing kids, ie Parise, Toews, etc..., but I think Coach Hak and company put enough pride and effort into the the kids that they don't want to leave on them in the middle of it all. Just my 2 cents.

Maybe if other schools put the pride in there program the way that UND does, they wouldn't have to worry about jumping ship mid season. I will take our lumps after the season fo losing kids, ie Parise, Toews, etc..., but I think Coach Hak and company put enough pride and effort into the the kids that they don't want to leave on them in the middle of it all. Just my 2 cents.

This could happen to any program at any time. The Sioux were very fortunate to have guys like Oshie, Duncan, Chorney and Finley decide to come back this year. In fact, for the most of them it was probably an unusual decision (compared to their peer group) to come back. While that is partly a credit to the program, it could just as easily have gone the other way, or the Sioux could lose a player mid-year, if the player's personality or circumstances are different than any of these guys.

I hope that somewhere down the road the NCAA could work with the NHL to remedy this. My guess is that the NCAA will address this as soon as they bring closure to more important issues like mascot and nickname changes! :lol:

Is it reasonable to think that in the future when a recruit signs a letter of intent that it states they can NOT leave "during" a season?

I agree the hostile and abusive "Purple Eagles" mascot/nickname must go, I am sure it infuriates the bird watches of the world. :D

BTW ........ nice signature line! ;)

From what I have heard through other boards....

Reaney has been a healthy scratch for the "Purps" (what we like to call them in the CHA) several times this year. I guess Niagara's coaching staff had very strict rules as far as his weight went, and if he weighed in over, he didn't play. He also got a "family advisor" during the off-season and there were some serious talks over the summer with some teams. Edmonton came in and gave him the rookie max and he bolted for their AHL club.

Yes he lead the BCHL in scoring the last year he was there, but he played at something like 265 lbs. Niagara was the only school to really go after him, and he got himself down into the 215-225 range. He was Co-CHA Rookie of the Year with teammate Ted Cook and he had an impressive sophomore year. This year, he just didn't amount to much, and when Niagara was in Bemidji, he gooned it up more than using his skill. When he did play, he was centering their fourth line, quite a change from being on the first line last year (with Cook and senior Bentivoglio, who signed with the Islanders and is with their AHL club).

we've had some mid-season departures recently... grieco and bishop. it is a little different because neither went pro (don't know if either will make that level) and neither were getting any real playing time. grieco has been very unimpressive this season when he has played, and bishop is the second leading scorer in the bchl. we will have to see how bishop fares in the ncaa again next season, i have a feeling he could be a decent college player, but im still not sold on grieco, has never shown any consistency. all in all, this is a bad thing for all of college hockey. a very ugly trend, and i hope that college hockey and the nhl can figure something out to prevent this in the future.

I really don't see the NHL caring at all about college hockey and doing anything about mid-season signings. For the most part, they don't seem to believe that college is the best "training ground" for their prospects. There certainly are exceptions, but there are a lot of kids that go play major-juniors that could just as well be going the college route, and from my limited knowledge that seems to be the way the NHL wants it. :lol:

we've had some mid-season departures recently... grieco and bishop. it is a little different because neither went pro (don't know if either will make that level) and neither were getting any real playing time. grieco has been very unimpressive this season when he has played, and bishop is the second leading scorer in the bchl. we will have to see how bishop fares in the ncaa again next season, i have a feeling he could be a decent college player, but im still not sold on grieco, has never shown any consistency. all in all, this is a bad thing for all of college hockey. a very ugly trend, and i hope that college hockey and the nhl can figure something out to prevent this in the future.

Good point, both players left because they weren't playing. I wish Bishop would have come back to UND. His point totals this year are impressive. Grieco is probably going to be playing in Canadian Bar league in a couple of years.

Good point, both players left because they weren't playing. I wish Bishop would have come back to UND. His point totals this year are impressive. Grieco is probably going to be playing in the house league in a couple of years.

I wonder if there was anything beyond playing time that contributed to Bishop leaving early.