SiouxSports.com Forum

BEYOND THE POND with Puffy

Oxbow6

I have emailed him a few times and asked him some questions. Ussually get a respond right away. Maybe he is filtering UND messages now.

:angry: LOL

We are all homerish to some extent. JD is a Gopher fan and usually is fairly complimentary of the Sioux when they deserve it. My guess is that you asked a question like..How can you be so stupid to think......I wouldn't respond either. Goon was likely asking and giving a lucid opinion and was given Dubay's. If you give respect, you recieve it. I may be wrong, I am just saying if you come off as someone he can have an intelligent, although sometimes biased conversation with, he always has time for a respectful college hockey discussion.

He may think that recent results vs. MTU, MSMU and Alaska arent the best gauges of your team against the top teams in the country. He will be the first to admit he is wrong often. Its his opinion and obviously it holds some type of value to you Oxbow. Goon-enjoy the blog.

I have never met redwing77 before. After reading his takes on here, I would buy him a beers to listen to his opinions on various hockey subjects. I may not agree with everything he would say but, I know I would be enlightened, educated and enjoy my next hockey game even more after the chat. Its about what you do with the info, not how loudly you yell your disagreement.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are all homerish to some extent. JD is a Gopher fan and usually is fairly complimentary of the Sioux when they deserve it. My guess is that you asked a question like..How can you be so stupid to think......I wouldn't respond either. Goon was likely asking and giving a lucid opinion and was given Dubay's. If you give respect, you recieve it. I may be wrong, I am just saying if you come off as someone he can have an intelligent, although sometimes biased conversation with, he always has time for a respectful college hockey discussion.

He may think that recent results vs. MTU, MSMU and Alaska arent the best gauges of your team against the top teams in the country. He will be the first to admit he is wrong often. Its his opinion and obviously it holds some type of value to you Oxbow. Goon-enjoy the blog.

I have never met redwing77 before. After reading his takes on here, I would buy him a beers to listen to his opinions on various hockey subjects. I may not agree with everything he would say but, I know I would be enlightened, educated and enjoy my next hockey game even more after the chat. Its about what you do with the info, not how loudly you yell your disagreement.

You are wrong, but that wouldn't be the first time a Gopher fan on this board has reached to make a questionable opinion while posting here.

Did not ask for Dubay's opinion today but just asked if anyone else heard his nausiating ramble, which is generally anti-UND. When I have e-mailed him in the past, it has been to get his "new" opinion on remarks he previously made that were totally proved to be in error. Now hindsight is 20/20 of course, but if you are going to stick your neck out as an "analyst/expert" and have it come back to bite you, you should have the onions to own up to that.

I, by my own admission, am not a hockey expert. But again I know when an "analyst" is being less than objectionable.

You are wrong, but that wouldn't be the first time a Gopher fan on this board has reached to make a questionable opinion while posting here.

Did not ask for Dubay's opinion today but just asked if anyone else heard his nausiating ramble, which is generally anti-UND. When I have e-mailed him in the past, it has been to get his "new" opinion on remarks he previously made that were totally proved to be in error. Now hindsight is 20/20 of course, but if you are going to stick your neck out as an "analyst/expert" and have it come back to bite you, you should have the onions to own up to that.

I, by my own admission, am not a hockey expert. But again I know when an "analyst" is being less than objectionable.

Would that apply to you as well? If he doesnt agree with your assesment of your team, HE is wrong? You dont agree with his assesment of his team and again, HE is wrong. Maybe its to simple coming from a Gopher fan. :huh: We will find out in March and April.

:angry:???

Would that apply to you as well? If he doesnt agree with your assesment of your team, HE is wrong? You dont agree with his assesment of his team and again, HE is wrong. Maybe its to simple coming from a Gopher fan. ;) We will find out in March and April.

No it wouldn't. And if you are looking for an argument, won't be here. Dubay said UND had basically no chance at this year's Frozen Four, but then went on to say the Gophs had a good chance to gain home ice for the WCHA first round. If you think that is objectionable, YOU must be Puffy. This UND team has lots of flaws, but when you are ranked 4th in the nation, even as a non-expert, like me, would say they have a chance at getting to Denver. "Simple" and "Gopher fan" seem to be paired together a lot from what I hear and read ??? .

Addendum: Will UND sweep at UM next weekend? More than likey not. Again that is being objective. (Score one for Mikey)

I also was surprised by his comments today as i know he hasn't see a lot of UND this year. The Sioux haven't lived up to the pre-season hype to this point and it's not a stretch to say that they won't make the frozen four BUT a dominant sweep of the Gophers next weekend might change his mind. ??? although, maybe not since the goofs suck this year. :angry: Let's face it, the Sioux were .500 for most of the year and what is .500.....? Average. Will they go on a run like the last 3 years......? I think YES. also, about him hating UND, etc., i know him personally and most of that stuff is for radio and to get the UND fan base riled up.

when they started the Pond show they said it wasn't going to be a goofer show, etc... but that's exactly what it's turned out to be. i think they talked more about the wcha in general last year which i would prefer.

Would that apply to you as well? If he doesnt agree with your assesment of your team, HE is wrong? You dont agree with his assesment of his team and again, HE is wrong. Maybe its to simple coming from a Gopher fan. :lol: We will find out in March and April.

my opinion is that CC and Denver aren't as good as their record and fast start just like the Sioux are not as average as their record and slow start. on the other hand, the Gopher just don't have it this year and suck. ;) it could be that way for UND next year. ???

We're getting all in a tizzy about one guy's opinions and not about the motivation behind them.

Sid has been long in need of being put out to pasture. Sid operates under the same graces as Chicago Cubs radio color commentator Ron Santo: Respect for his past and not what he brings to the table. Ron Santo has the sympathy factor and everyone knows we respect our elders, especially someone with many years in the field (Sid). I dislike Ron Santo's performances with a passion. I don't listen to Sid, though, because you know the script before he even says it. "Blah blah blah GO MINNESOTA GO blah blah blah I'm a big shot among the Minnesota sports scene Blah blah blah." Please, if you expect anything else, no wonder you are disappointed.

As for Dubay, he says whatever will get people interested. Yes, he is a Gopher fan. So what? Would you be considered a Sioux fan if you went on the air and said how great one of your team's most bitter rivals were? Sure, you may be considered to be a "good guy" by that fanbase, but you won't garner listenership. Angry listeners make for entertaining radio. Sioux fans tend to be emotional lot. Prideful and loyal to their team through and through when faced with a disingenuous or non-complementary opinion of their team. This is further ramped up by the seemingly endless attack on UND by the ultra liberals and the super minority activists, even if it isn't directly about the sports teams. If Dubay sat on the air and said "Oh, the gophers are sucking hard core this year, but the Sioux are doing great. They're better than us. I can wax poetic about them all program long if I were allowed." Do you think his listenership would grow or even stay the same? I think it would shrink.

Shawn-O is right. Like him or hate him, he talks college hockey. He's far more listenable than Bernie Bergraf (forgive me, Bernie. I know you forget more than I'll ever know about hockey, but... lets face it, you are basically unlistenable). What I'd suggest is to find a more diverse crew for his program. Have Dubay with two other guys other than Miller and the other dude. Perhaps he can find two radio personalities of the same ilk, but those who went to UND and UW? That would be an interesting program...or a slugfest. Who knows? How awesome would it be to have Dubay with perhaps Troy Murray and some former UW player? I know Troy can't do it. He's too busy with the Blackhawks, but it would be neat.

.....I wouldn't respond either. Goon was likely asking and giving a lucid opinion and was given Dubay's. If you give respect, you recieve it. I may be wrong, I am just saying if you come off as someone he can have an intelligent, although sometimes biased conversation with, he always has time for a respectful college hockey discussion.

I met Jeff at one of those Remotes at I-29 cafe and he was pretty cool, I also had a few beers at the Gate and was able to chat with him.

Sure he is a gophers fan and he supports his team, to call him a clueless rube or hack wouldn't apply, that I think he knows football and basebally pretty good as well... I am not sure what he see or not sees with this Sioux team.

I met Jeff at one of those Remotes at I-29 cafe and he was pretty cool, I also had a few beers at the Gate and was able to chat with him.

Sure he is a gophers fan and he supports his team, to call him a clueless rube or hack wouldn't apply, that I think he knows football and basebally pretty good as well... I am not sure what he see or not sees with this Sioux team.

We haven't exactly been consistent this year. Nor as dominant as we should have been. Even last night was a roller coaster.

I will say this and then be off this thread as this topic seems to be bunching some panties. If you, as a radio sports personality, want to come across as objective and credible, than you have to be objective and a realist to the totality of what you are discussing. If you want to be a rube, then be one. But trying to walk the fence doesn't work as a sport's analyst or in politics (but I'll save that for a different thread ??? )

We won't be able to find anything out about the Gophers in April because they won't be playing.

Touche' ???

I have no delusions that I will be in Denver watching the Gophers in April. I am not sure who I will see when I am out there, I do think this Frozen Four will be very interesting by who the participants are.

Was buzzing around Fargo this morning when I caught "Beyond the Pond" with Puffy and his crew. Puffy said there was not much of chance that UND could get to the Frozen Four this year. ??? He figured UND would be a 2, possibly a 3 seed in the big tourney. JPL is ok, not great, in net and not getting enough from Osh and Dunc. :angry: Also thought Duncan made a mistake coming back this year. But his Fluffiness thought that the Gophs still could get home ice for the first round of the WCHA? :huh: I must admit I caught bits and pieces, but it was obvious he thought after the 2 Colorado schools, everyone else was pretty close in the league. Did anybody else catch this??

Edit: Jeff "Puffy" Dubay of KFAN radio

Comments like this are the exact reason I don't listen to sports talk radio.

No it wouldn't. And if you are looking for an argument, won't be here. Dubay said UND had basically no chance at this year's Frozen Four, but then went on to say the Gophs had a good chance to gain home ice for the WCHA first round. If you think that is objectionable, YOU must be Puffy. This UND team has lots of flaws, but when you are ranked 4th in the nation, even as a non-expert, like me, would say they have a chance at getting to Denver. "Simple" and "Gopher fan" seem to be paired together a lot from what I hear and read

Addendum: Will UND sweep at UM next weekend? More than likey not. Again that is being objective. (Score one for Mikey)

You're objective is clear allright :huh: Getting to the Final Four is easier than earning home ice in the WCHA playoffs? Not looking for an arguement. You had 2001, we have 2007-8.

I was told from a young age not to get into a war of wits with an unarmed man :angry:

More than likey what? If you don't sweep us at the Mucci, Dubay may be correct. You have had a tough schedule, you split almost all series with teams you would likely see in the tourney. I am done as well.