SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX-CIA BANNED

Sioux-cia

Up until recently, I only knew about reservation politics from the media and through hearsay. Around a year and a half ago, I started a new career as a locum tenens (temporary) health care provider. I spent a wonderful year on the Navajo reservation before returning to the Dakota's to work on a Sioux reservation.

A month ago, a tribal member came to the federal facility where I worked and threatened to kill me, twice. She came to the Walk In Clinic where I worked for all her health care. I had never seen the woman as a patient. The other provider saw her. She also went to the local non-IHS ER for health care. She has a specific medication request and goes anywhere and everywhere to get this medication. After she threatened to kill me, a staff member told me that this patient had told the health care provider I replaced that she was going to have her job and she would run her off the reservation. Unfortunate that I only learned of this after she threatened my life. After my 'incident', the facility told the woman she could get her health care at the facility but she had to pick a permanent provider to manage her health care.

I was told that threatening to kill me broke no law! An F.B.I. agent suggested I go to the reservation's tribal court and get a restraining order against the woman. I did. She was told to stay away from me for six months. This woman then went to the tribe's Health Services Board and told them she was denied health care because of the order. The CEO, who was there and is Native American, told the board she could get care from the clinic but not from me. After he spoke his piece, he was asked to leave the meeting. I don't know what was discussed after he left. Later that day, I was told the board was going to take the issue to the tribal council and the action they would most likely take was be to ban me from the reservation. "The IHS doesn't answer to the tribe" but by banning me from the reservation, I can't work there. The patients who are happy with my care, the staff who totally support me and the lack of any deficiency in any medical care I provide means ZERO, NOTHING, NADA to the tribal council. As a non-tribal member, non-Native American, I am not allowed to speak before the Health Services Board or the Tribal Council. The patients and staff that are members of the tribe that support me can only speak for me if invited by the Tribal Council.

Democracy!! Ain't she a bit@h!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up until recently, I only knew about reservation politics from the media and through hearsay. Around a year and a half ago, I started a new career as a locum tenens (temporary) health care provider. I spent a wonderful year on the Navajo reservation before returning to the Dakota's to work on a Sioux reservation.

A month ago, a tribal member came to the federal facility where I worked and threatened to kill me, twice. She came to the Walk In Clinic where I worked for all her health care. I had never seen the woman as a patient. The other provider saw her. She also went to the local non-IHS ER for health care. She has a specific medication request and goes anywhere and everywhere to get this medication. After she threatened to kill me, a staff member told me that this patient had told the health care provider I replaced that she was going to have her job and she would run her off the reservation. Unfortunate that I only learned of this after she threatened my life. After my 'incident', the facility told the woman she could get her health care at the facility but she had to pick a permanent provider to manage her health care.

I was told that threatening to kill me broke no law! An F.B.I. agent suggested I go to the reservation's tribal court and get a restraining order against the woman. I did. She was told to stay away from me for six months. This woman then went to the tribe's Health Services Board and told them she was denied health care because of the order. The CEO, who was there and is Native American, told the board she could get care from the clinic but not from me. After he spoke his piece, he was asked to leave the meeting. I don't know what was discussed after he left. Later that day, I was told the board was going to take the issue to the tribal council and the action they would most likely take was be to ban me from the reservation. "The IHS doesn't answer to the tribe" but by banning me from the reservation, I can't work there. The patients who are happy with my care, the staff who totally support me and the lack of any deficiency in any medical care I provide means ZERO, NOTHING, NADA to the tribal council. As a non-tribal member, non-Native American, I am not allowed to speak before the Health Services Board or the Tribal Council. The patients and staff that are members of the tribe that support me can only speak for me if invited by the Tribal Council.

Democracy!! Ain't she a bit@h!

Your like the second person that I have seen banned from a Reservation, Rob Port from SAY ANYTHING BLOG was also banned from the Turtle mountain reservation as well...

So when is a final decision going to be made on your reservation status? I practiced in the Williston area for a couple years and couldn't wait the find a "normal" place to practice. The contracts with the reservations/NAs were pathtetic. No real accountablilty on behalf of the NA patients for anything. Talk about a medical-legal nightmare. Your story doesn't suprise me having been close to a reservation before and hearing the babble coming from NA "leaders" on the Sioux nickname issue. Best of luck.

So when is a final decision going to be made on your reservation status?

With the blessings and encouragement of my company, I left the position last Friday. I understand that even though I'm gone, the Tribal Council can and will make the decision to ban me. I don't know when or if they already met. Since I have zero plans to ever work on a Sioux reservation again, I don't care! Well, I do care but I will never work on ANY Sioux reservation again. A couple of the staff said they'd let me know when it happens.

I got an email. The doc that came in to replace me didn't perscribe the NA her special medication yesterday. Now she's threatening to take the new provider to the Health Services Board. :D The most often voiced complaint I heard from patients there was health care providers come there to work but don't stay long. Gee, I wonder why?!?

With the blessings and encouragement of my company, I left the position last Friday. I understand that even though I'm gone, the Tribal Council can and will make the decision to ban me. I don't know when or if they already met. Since I have zero plans to ever work on a Sioux reservation again, I don't care! Well, I do care but I will never work on ANY Sioux reservation again. A couple of the staff said they'd let me know when it happens.

I got an email. The doc that came in to replace me didn't perscribe the NA her special medication yesterday. Now she's threatening to take the new provider to the Health Services Board. :DThe most often voiced complaint I heard from patients there was health care providers come there to work but don't stay long. Gee, I wonder why?!?

It is what it is and NA leadership is too stupid to put 2 and 2 together on that one.

It is what it is and NA leadership is too stupid to put 2 and 2 together on that one.

It would stop in a heart beat if they couldn't find replacements. I remember many years back the tribe out in New Town passed a law that no non-reservation law officer could or collection agency could enter the reservation to serve a tribal member. Pretty soon all the merchants in Minot wouldn't take their checks. That law was rescinded very quickly.

Siouxcia - I am absolutely dumbfounded by this. It is almost beyond comprehension. We have recently had cultural sensitivity training at our company about Native Americans because a number of projects that we are working on involve the tribes. The training was done by a Native American and many issues were discussed, but the issues were focused on cultural heritage, beliefs, relationships, Indian time, etc. It didn't address tribal politics, and this could point out why. Our trainer could have been banned from the reservation.

More than anything else, this is a strong indication that tribal conditions on the reservations will never change until there is wholesale cleaning. The unfortunate reality is that it appears no one has the power to do this.

You have our sympathies. Keep your chin up.

Keep an eye on her. Her chin will be up this weekend, while she is tipping back those adult beverages. :silly:

All joking aside. Sioux-cia is a very strong person, she will get through this with flying colors!

I've heard about her at the hockey games. Get a high class box of wine with a little nozzle and she is set to go. :)

I think he tried sneaking some in with the wine but it's chirping and wing flapping made it impossible to get into the Ralph!

NO all the pheasants I have are dead. If people had come to the first tailgate party they could have tried some for myself. Plus the majority of "LIVE" pheasants I saw this year are the ones that flew past Fetch. Needless to say they kept on flying.

As for the box/bag of wine, I can neither confirm or deny this allegation. Although I will say I received a text earlier tonight from one Sioux-Cia "k can meet u b4 the game o n no wine!" :silly:

Sad part is on a couple of our hunting trips, we've driven past some farm yards that resembled those in the movie "Wrong Turn".

I was thinking more along the lines of that movie with Ned Beatty and Burt Reynolds (?).

Never saw it, but heard enough about it................... :)

Can't think of the name of it though.

If people had come to the first tailgate party they could have tried some for myself. Plus the majority of "LIVE" pheasants I saw this year are the ones that flew past Fetch. Needless to say they kept on flying.

As for the box/bag of wine, I can neither confirm or deny this allegation. Although I will say I received a text earlier tonight from one Sioux-Cia "k can meet u b4 the game o n no wine!" :)

Very tasty!! Siouxman is quite the outdoor cook.

Well, I didn't mean no wine forever, just not this week end!!! :silly: