SiouxSports.com Forum

parise and radke

kip

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parise had a concussion in practice this week and Radke was a healthy scratch.

A goalie gets a concussion in practice. Cmon, I don't buy that one for a minute which is even more cause for concern. It likely did happen in one of his many run ins with other teams before Christmas and perhaps he has post-concussion headaches. :D

As for Radke, I suspect he got a reward for some event related to either lack of effort or behavior. I hope he didn't do something foolish that lead to the Parise concussion because we need him in the lineup too.

A goalie gets a concussion in practice. Cmon, I don't buy that one for a minute which is even more cause for concern. It likely did happen in one of his many run ins with other teams before Christmas and perhaps he has post-concussion headaches. :D

As for Radke, I suspect he got a reward for some event related to either lack of effort or behavior. I hope he didn't do something foolish that lead to the Parise concussion because we need him in the lineup too.

My thought is that Radke was benched because of play on the ice, and Marvin looked good last weekend so he got to play as a reward.

I buy the concussion. Karl Goehring got a concussion for taking a Mike Commodore slap shot to the mask shortly before the Final Five IIRC. It's perfectly possible especially with some of the players we have on the blue line being able to wind up so well.

I believe Smaby's shot isnt exactly pillow soft to block. :D There are others too.

As a former goaltender, Redwing is right on as far as the concussion thing goes. All the guys at the college level can shoot the puck extremely well, and if a guy takes a slap shot from close enough in and catches the mask in an area that doesn't deflect the puck away (the goalie masks are nowadays designed not to stop the puck, but deflect it away) it is very plausable for Parise to get a concussion this way.

PS: The goalie helmet that Karl wore isn't recommended for goaltenders for the reason I just mentioned.

Actually I had a different scenario in mind. Scrimmage ends, Parise critiques the young D-mans performance or lack of effort and fight ensues. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense that Radke had to sit.

The fact that you would even think this up is simply astounding. So I'll assume you were being humorous and just forgot the emoticon.

------------------------------------

Wilbur-

Why do goaltenders like Cloutier (VAN), Osgood (DET), Prusek (CAR?), Hasek (OTT), and I think one or two others still use that mask? Is there any advantage with the cage visibility-wise?

The information that I received was that the Sioux were doing a drill in which a player had to go around the net. One player accidentally took Parise out. Concussion or hip flexor, he's still hurt. Can you buy that one?

Even in practice Parise gets taken out. This guy must have some bad karma...

The fact that you would even think this up is simply astounding. So I'll assume you were being humorous and just forgot the emoticon.

------------------------------------

Wilbur-

Why do goaltenders like Cloutier (VAN), Osgood (DET), Prusek (CAR?), Hasek (OTT), and I think one or two others still use that mask? Is there any advantage with the cage visibility-wise?

They actually do provide for better vision. My senior year of high school I switched to one (to be like Karl, yes its true) and I couldn't believe how much more vision I had. They are also a lot lighter which was nice as well. The only drawback was getting a puck to the head. Man did my ears ring when I got one to the head. One time I got a minor concussion when I took a blast directly to the forehead. The NHL guys probably have better constructed ones than I had, but it doesn't surprise me that Karl switched to the regular style.

They actually do provide for better vision. My senior year of high school I switched to one (to be like Karl, yes its true) and I couldn't believe how much more vision I had. They are also a lot lighter which was nice as well. The only drawback was getting a puck to the head. Man did my ears ring when I got one to the head. One time I got a minor concussion when I took a blast directly to the forehead. The NHL guys probably have better constructed ones than I had, but it doesn't surprise me that Karl switched to the regular style.

Are goaltenders crazy? Or is the better word nut case? My ears ring when I get hit in the head, Yikes.

Are goaltenders crazy? Or is the better word nut case? My ears ring when I get hit in the head, Yikes.

You have to be a little of both actually. The better goaltenders (like Brodeur and Balfour) are the guys that just exemplify both crazy and nuts. Eddie the eagle is just a crazy man, and Brodeur can be seen laughing before warmups and chatting around with teammates before games.

In the case of Goehring and guys like Parise (and even Brodeur), the amount of confidence that they play with is absolutely outstanding. So much to the point that they don't allow themselves to become nervous or shaken.

Just an update for everyone living outside of Grand Forks... in the Herald today there was a short blurb on Parise:

"UND goaltender Jardan Parise's status for this weekend's series against the University of Minnesota is in question as a result of an upper body injury he suffered last week.

Parise did not play last weekend against Alaska Anchorage.

UND coach Dave Hakstol said he had no comment on the injury, and Parise's status will be re-evaluated later in the week.

Philippe Lamoureux recorded his first career shutout Saturday in a 5-0 win against the Seawolves If Parise can't go against the Gophers, Lamoureux would likely be the guy.

The third goaltender on UND's roster is freshman Aaron Walski, who hasn't played a collegiate game."

I don't think a hip flexor is considered upper body... and I don't know if they would refer to a concussion as an upper body injury... any other ideas as to what happened?

Just an update for everyone living outside of Grand Forks... in the Herald today there was a short blurb on Parise:

"UND goaltender Jardan Parise's status for this weekend's series against the University of Minnesota is in question as a result of an upper body injury he suffered last week.

Parise did not play last weekend against Alaska Anchorage.

UND coach Dave Hakstol said he had no comment on the injury, and Parise's status will be re-evaluated later in the week.

Philippe Lamoureux recorded his first career shutout Saturday in a 5-0 win against the Seawolves If Parise can't go against the Gophers, Lamoureux would likely be the guy.

The third goaltender on UND's roster is freshman Aaron Walski, who hasn't played a collegiate game."

I don't think a hip flexor is considered upper body... and I don't know if they would refer to a concussion as an upper body injury... any other ideas as to what happened?

RUmor says concussion

Herald says upper body injury

TH says hip flexor

I think no one knows but Jordan what is up.

RUmor says concussion

Herald says upper body injury

TH says hip flexor

I think no one knows but Jordan what is up.

Hennessy emphasized that Parise told him that it was a hip flexor injury. I got the distinct impression that Hennessy didn't believe him. He also said that Parise had not given UND permission to disclose any information about his injury, which is his right by HIPAA. For whatever reason, it seems that Parise doesn't want the public to know.

Hennessy emphasized that Parise told him that it was a hip flexor injury. I got the distinct impression that Hennessy didn't believe him. He also said that Parise had not given UND permission to disclose any information about his injury, which is his right by HIPAA. For whatever reason, it seems that Parise doesn't want the public to know.

He probably doesn't want the other side to know where a potential weakness may be. If they don't know where the problem is they can't try to take advantage of it.