SiouxSports.com Forum

HUSKIES vs SIOUX (ROUND TWO)

Tommiejo

Well folks it's HUSKIES vs SIOUX ROUND TWO. I don't know about everybody else but in all fairness i'm hoping for a sweep. Now, if the SIOUX end up getting a split, either way i'll be happy. Now what does the pannel of experts thinks of this upcomming series & will it be on direct tv?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off I hate the SCCC Huskies as much as I hate the B.C. eagles and the dirty Wisconsin Badgers. Second, I think there coach is a joke, but I like the job he is doing at JBSU so I think we let him stay there. However, since this is a UND web page this type of talk should be expected...

I predict that UND will win to very close hard fought games. I think UND is a better team maybe except for Goal Tending, Frankly we suck in that department, we can't put more than two decent games together last saturday Sievbieda had a night of 24/28 .860 percent is not good unless you went to a second rate school but UND is not. So our goaltenders to do better or we are not going anywhere this year. The two horrible young goalie recruiting busts and have been given enough chances its time for them to step up to the plate or step aside and let someone else play.

Jake is better than Josh but thats not saying much. Sievbieda flops around on the ice like a musky out of water he is laying on the ice before the oppostion even shots the puck, I am not sure what Blais saw in the kid but he sucks period. My wife made the statement that these kids were like Toby, I said Toby was a lot better than those two clowns. I long for the days of Toby we must not be very good in net...

(I am going to go on the record and make a prediction that Brandt or Sievbieda will be gone next season).

Back to this weekends games I predict that Finger will get hammered by Matt Greene or Prpich. There will probably be a fight or two. I pray to god that someone in Sioux uniform that is a goalie will some how play better.

Spiewak and noterman will shawdow SCSU top line and Zack will score 6 points after getting 5 last weekend.

Just to prove my point, and that I am not harping on Sievbieda, but he is horrible. I am definately miffed how come UND can't have better goaltending. Frankly we are lucky to be 12-1-1 and I think Blaiser knows it. I mean what does CB do? Does he bring in Lane at the half way point? Will Lane be any better. This is ridiculous...

Here are the numbers. Josh's are not good, they actually went up this weekend though. I think it maybe time for him to sit and not pay any more. I hope Lane S. is a good goalie we are going to need him.

Combined

1 Josh Siembida SO Save Percentage .851 GAA 3.09 Recd 6- 1- 0

30 Jake Brandt SO, Save Percentage .880 GAA 2.28 Recd 6- 0- 1

Conference

30 Jake Brandt Save Percentage .901 GAA 2.06 Record 3- 0- 1

1 Josh Siembida Save Percentage .824 GAA 3.48 Record 3- 1- 0

Some players enjoy talking to the media. Some don't like it, but do it. Others don't like it and won't do it. You can't make anyone talk to the media who doesn't want to. I have no problem with players who choose not to.

Goon, WOW, the Sioux are 12-1-1 and you are so down on them. ??? I guess expectations are high in sioux land. Even though I know how much you hate the Huskies, and love to belittle our name, school, coach, fans, arena, players, and anything else to do with St Cloud, I'm still looking forward to this week-ends series. I'm actually hoping for a split, but of course a sweep in our favor would be fine. This will be my first time seeing a game at Englestad although I did get a tour through the palace before it opened. I hope my seats are close to some Husky fans as I'm sure we will be outnumbered severely. Do you know where the visiting fans sit, i didn't get seats with them but hope to be close. I'm in the lower level, corner about half way up. So you think there will be a fight or two. If there is, we will be ready I'm sure, hopefully with the same outcome as when Gaffney pummeled Commodore. :angry:

Did you watch Josh last year? He was a savior. Without him to take over to Kollar for awhile to prove to Andy that he had to work for his position, we wouldn't have lasted at all. Josh made some NHL quality saves last year. I think the problem this year is that they know they have the scoring capacity on the team so they don't neccesarily think they have to work as hard. Unconsiously, of course.

But I think Jake is doing a great job this year. I think this weekend will show something how these guys will play. The whole team, actually, not just the goalies. We'll see if they come out fired up to play and win, or to pound and attack. We don't need a grunge match this weekend, we need solid playing and goaltending. Because at this point every team is trying to beat us to try to prove we aren't as good as the record says we are.

I know I'll be there this weekend, but then again, I get in free every week.

Huskie: The visiting fans sit in section 311, just to the left of the band.

Goon, I think you are getting down on the goalies too much. They may not be Karl, but they are good enough for this team to win. If Jake becomes more consistent, I think he will be very good. Josh does look shaky at times and gives up some rebounds, but he also makes spectacular saves sometimes too. Us Sioux fans have been spoiled with Karl and need to realize that we are not going to have the best goalie in the league every year.

Also, SCSU is not my favorite rival either, but they're growing on me. When it was first announced that they were our "natural rivals," I was really mad. I would have rather had Duluth or any of the charter members of the WCHA. But I think the rivalry is developing with SCSU and it will be exciting to have two series with them every year. I can't stand their administration, but I'm learning to separate the P.C. administration from the players and fans.

Even though I know how much you hate the Huskies, and love to belittle our name, school, coach, fans, arena, players, and anything else to do with St Cloud,

Actually, I don't like your black uni's much myself, though they are not as bad as Mankato road uni's. Those are just damn hard to look at.

I'm feeling left out. :(;)

Greyeagle,

We will get to you guys later. I have a case of beer and a couple of cigars bet with my brothers buddy that UND will sweep the Gophers in Minny in January. If he wins the bet I am bying the grosses beer I can find and a couple of hava tampas... :D:D;);)

Greyeagle,

We will get to you guys later. I have a case of beer and a couple of cigars bet with my brothers buddy that UND will sweep the Gophers in Minny in January. If he wins the bet I am bying the grosses beer I can find and a couple of hava tampas... :D:D;);)

Thanks Goon - I feel much better now. Feel the hate!

You might as well go out and buy that case of Buckhorn and some Swishers for the Jan 12 payoff. ;)

Let's give Ranfranz a chance, he just maybe the one who leads the

Sioux to the promise land! If it makes anyone happy, I HATE any team

playing my beloved Sioux!!!

Go Sioux!!!

Parise for Hobey!!

FWIW -- All stats are based only on the 8 conference games played by the two teams; this is going to be long and probably boring but for those interested here goes:

(a "t" before a number means "tie")

Scoring by Period

1 2 3 ot

St Cloud 11 11 11 1

UND 10 10 6 1

Goals allowed by Period

St Cloud 5 10 11 1

UND 9 5 9 0

Penalty Minutes: #2 StC 20.6/game #3 UND 19.9/game

Power Play: #1 StC 36.6% #7 UND 20.8%

Penatly Kill: #2 StC 83.3% #9 UND 71.4%

Combined Special: #1 StC 61.8% #8 UND 44.4%

GAA/rank save%/rank win%/rank

JB 2.06/#3 .901/#7 .875/t1

JS 3.48/#10 .824/#15 .750/#5

JMore 3.20/#9 .908/#4 .800/#4

JMont 3.57/#11 .884/#13 .167/#12

Scoring Offense: StC #2 at 4.25/game UND #6 at 3.38/game

Scoring Defense: StC #8 at 3.38/game UND #4 at 2.88/game

Goal Scoring Leaders:

St C:

Ryan Malone, Sr, ranked #5 with 7 goals

Joe Motzko, Sr, & Matt Hendricks, Jr, ranked t#8 with 5 goals

UND:

James Massen, So, t#6 with 6 goals

Brandon Bochenski, So, t#14 with 4 goals

Assists:

StC: Jon Cullen, Sr, in only 6 games t#2 with 10 assists

Power Play Points:

StC:

t#1 Malone in 7 games 3 g 6 a

There are 4 St C players in the top 19 for points on PP; UND has zero in top 19, but David Lundbohm is tied for 20th with 5 assists on PP

regarding PP goals:

StC: Hendricks is t#2 with 4 goals and Ryan Malone is t#6 with 3 goals

UND: James Massen has 3 goals on the PP t#6

All points scoring leaders for each team:

St. Cloud:

Ryan Malone sr, (in 7 games) 7 g 9 a

Jon Cullen sr, (in 6 games) 3 g 10 a

Joe Motzko sr, 5 g 5 a

Tim Conboy, fr, 2 g 7 a

Matt Hendricks, jr, 5 g 2 a

Peter Szabo, so, 1 g 5 a

Mike Doyle, so (in 7 games), 1 g 4 a

Jonathon Lehun, fr, 4 g

Matt Gens, so, 4 a

Jeff Finger, 2 g 1 a

UND:

Brandon Bochenski, so, 4 g 7 a

James Massen, so, 6 g 4 a

Zach Parise, fr, 3 g 6 a

David Lundbohm, jr, 0 g 9 a

Rory McMahon, so, 2 g 4 a

Andy Schneider, so, 2 g 3 a

Kevin Spiewak, sr, 3 g 1 a

David Hale, jr, 0 g 4 a

Jason Notermann, sr, 2 g 1 a

Mike Prpich, fr, 2 g 1 a

These are just figures and they have no bearing on the games this weekend. I just thought it was interesting because UND's stats aren't great but the difference from last year is that we/UND wins. They're getting the job done. Much like Jake and Josh are getting the job done - it isn't always pretty but a win is a win. Go Sioux!

Hey fellow Sioux fans. I've been a fan since my junior high days watching Phil Sykes and Co in the early 80s...and an early 90s' UND grad. I've been lurking around this board and USCHO for awhile but haven't posted too much.

Looking forward to my first trip up from Mpls to the newRalph this weekend--with 4 Husky fans in tow. Last time I brought them up was 2000-01 when the Sioux swept both games with 3rd period flurries--long drive home for those poor bastards! So I'm looking for a repeat of that, or at least 3 points; and a trip to the Pepper, Whiteys, Blue Moon, the Bun, etc.

A couple concerns about this weekend if you all can help me out.

Any word on pre-game Ralph tributes? Should we get their early?

Also, we're short 1 ticket for both games and plan on buying Thursday morning on line/via phone. If not, we'll try to buy one at the arena...but are we going to be out in the cold because are tickets in higher demand than usual b/c of any Ralph tribute?

Thanks. See ya Friday!

Shootdogger--

I go over to Hyslop to pick up unsold students tickets for friends on Thursday morning and am always first lin line. I could get one for you, if you want. You can e-mail me at yaneusa@netscape.net if you want me to do so.

Don't think that the tribute to Ralph will occur much before puck drops at 7:05. If you want to watch warmups be there about 6:25-6:30 and you'll catch all the pre-game pagentry, I'm sure.

The Huskies will be missing a couple of players when SCSU comes to town, according to this article in Thursday's St. Cloud Times.

Freshman defenseman Tim Conboy missed parts of practice Tuesday and Wednesday because of soreness in his back and Dahl said he won't make the trip.

Dahl said Mike Walsh missed practice Wednesday because of illness and will not make the trip.

Food for thought, as we get closer to the face off face off rip his face off:

SCSU win Friday was keyed by [uND personnel moves which led to] 5 even strength goals. But 2 of those goals came against UND forwards who might play, but aren't likely to see nearly as much ice time this weekend (Genoway, Connelly, Canady) ... and the other 3 came from the line matchup that last-change (plus a full complement of D-men) can cover.

5x5, I don't think SCSU can score consistently. (Sioux have allowed just 6 even strength goals in the 7 games since that Friday...)

Which leaves as concerns, PK and goaltending - joined at the hip - stay away from SH situations and the shot totals and quality of shots go way down. PK we need to prevent those killer diagonal cross-ice passes ... Barney I mean Mankato scored at least 4 PPG that way last weekend.

Drop the puck already. GO SIOUX.