SiouxSports.com Forum

HUSKIES vs SIOUX (ROUND TWO)

Tommiejo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interviewed after the game Blais seemed pretty happy with the team's effort except for the penalties, especially the 5 on 3's. Was not happy that R Hale did not get the puck out of the zone at the end of the 2nd period when he could have, which led to D Hale's penalty. SCSU scored at the end of the next PP to start the 3rd period.

Was happy with Siembida. Second game in a row that Blais said Josh had a poor save % for the game but really played a good game. Didn't seem to feel the goals were Josh's fault.

Happy with the strong forecheck, says it tires the other team out to be chasing your guys around. Hopefully that carries over to tomorrow.

David Lundbohm was interviewed. Said he talked to a couple Huskie players who said they don't like playing against our large physical defensemen. They will probably be "icing" tonite.

Well, I had the toilet paper and sign all ready to go, at the suggestion of the brains on this board, and Finger doesn't even bother getting a penalty! ;) However, my friend thought it was pretty funny when I explained why I had toilet paper and a "You Are Here" sign with me, and during warm ups he caught Finger looking in our direction as he stretched. He held up the sign, pointing at it, while we yelled at him, and I doubt he could read anything except maybe his name on it, but he started laughing. At least the guy has a good sense of humor. :D

Keep the TP and sign handy. There's always Saturday night.

And, by the way, Brian Canady played on a line with Fylling and Genoway. I thought they looked pretty good, but I didn't see that line out much in the 3rd period.

Imagine that. Fylling, one of the team's leading scorers, on the fourth line.

I long for the days Blais could roll 4 lines/ WIth Fylling and Canady out with Genoway, is it that big of a risk?

I don't want to see the guys getting tired out. I want to see it happen to the other team.

I think that may have happened last week with Mankato. Blais rolls 3 lines Friday in the 3rd (which he HAD to do for the comeback), and then plays the 3rd line sparingly on Sat, and again not much in the 3rd. I think the guys got tired and Mankato starts coming back.

Roll 4 Coach, and let it play out.

(I'm so smart)

I planned on it, but apparently Engelstad's family will be "borrowing" a few rows in the student section tomorrow night. ;) I have a bad feeling I won't be as close to the penalty box as I like to be.

Isn't that what the suite is for? Can't do anything about it I guess, but it is still frustrating. Give them seats behind the Sioux bench where all the rich people don't bother to show up. :D

Diggler, most of the non-students, rich people in your world, live for Sioux Hockey. They save for and give up what they have to, to show up at the game and support the Sioux. Give up a month's worth of drinking, at the level I drank during my years at UND, and anyone can afford to get a season ticket, that's the beauty of

sIOUX HOCKEY. I have been going to Sioux games since 1963, that's the earliest my parents thought I would be into the game enough not to get bonked, over the chicken wire at the BARN, by a puck. The students are not the only fans, they are the only fans in the REA who don't have they're friends and wife telling them for a week after the game how they got to carried away with enthusiasm for SIOUX HOCKEY. I, as a student at UND, also thought the reserve section could participate more. But realized it wasn't a solution to blame them, the solution is to be so darn out of control for the Sioux that they had to get involved as well. From an old guy to a student, the band in the Barn use to play three blind mice when the guys in black and white stripes came out on the ice each period, may be a good school song this year given the quality of referees we fans have been subjected to this year.

Agreed about the ref's so far at the Ralph. Parise is getting absolutely mugged out there and the penalties are different for him vs. anyone else.

As a Grandforkian who also grew up watching a few games in the ol' tin shed, then the Winter Sports shed, and now the Ralph, I'd have to say the students have always bagged on the rest of the crowd as being lazy and uninterested. However, there are plenty of die-hard fans in the season-ticket areas who also make noise.

Face facts, when your tenure at college is over, you, too will be faced with the reality of buying a ticket in the "old folks section" and being one of the "crazy people" if you allow yourself to jump up and cheer like a madman. All I can say is...who cares! I've been doing it for years.

Go Sioux! #23 will be remembered.

forecheck,

saw the TP and the sign. Was a little disappointed Finger or Shepherd didn't get beaned with the TP ;)

I was a little surprised to see the sign at the women's game. I assume that was you with the yellow and black jacket!? Then I figured maybe you were stowing it for later.

Highly amusing :D

Did you get any flack from security about the TP?

LOL. I'm famous! Yeah, I went to the women's game to see if I could find somewhere to stow the sign under the seats, since I was mauled the night before in line. I ended up just putting it in the security office and picking it up after I got my seat. They didn't care.

I was 3 rows behind the penalty box, so the first penalty Finger got, I handed the sign down to the guys sitting by the glass, and they ended up handing it across the tunnel entrance to the students facing Finger so that he could read it. When they went to hand it back to us later, they asked the security guard to hand it to us, and the prick read it, laughed, and threw it on the ground. A couple minutes later, we asked some kid to give it to us, he did, and he got yelled at. ;) If anyone was watching, that was me holding up the sign during warmups on the big screen. Finger saw it during warmups and had a good laugh with some teammates. As for the tp, I just had the guys in front of me offer some to Finger. I'm not one for throwing things, unless it's a hat....although I was tempted to throw it at Shepard since he looked like sh*t much of the night. :D

Saw the last 2 periods on TV tonite.

1. Am curious how many penalties SHOULD be called when someone is mugging Parise that aren't.

2. Am also wondering if Blais will keep Parise OFF the ice in the last minute of the game because, apparently, he is not allowed to make contact with anyone ala last Saturday's bogus slashing call and tonite's bogus running the goaltender call. Sheesh.

3. What happened after the game, when the teams had to be seperated? I saw Blais actually grabbed on of the Sioux players and pushed him back pretty aggressively. He looked really pissed. Little help....

4. When Blais took the timeout was he lighting up the team or just cooling down the Huskies?

5. Curious what Blais postgame comments were, especially on Siembida.

Thanks

Nice to see the Sioux come back tonite. This is a big sweep. I thought St. Cloud played pretty well tonite, limiting the Sioux's ability to carry the puck through the neutral zone.

Also very nice to see Canady and Connelly on the ice together. I think those 2 guys really come to play and I really like Connelly's speed. I hope he can find the ice a little more consistently. I see it was probably at the expense of Fylling...

Man the ref's were bad tonite. Missed calls for and against the Sioux. I mean really bad.

We will get to you guys later.

You might as well go out and buy that case of Buckhorn and some Swishers for the Jan 12 payoff.  ;)

UM, I am predicting a Sioux sweep. So I will buy them as a after though IF they lose. I don't know, UND is on a roll right now.

Ugh Buck Horn Beer...

Has anyone heard from Husky 1?

(these notes are disjointed so please excuse 'em!)

Swyg and Tim interviewed Coach Blais this morning.

USA hockey is in town today to take a look around; they will also make stops in Omaha (NE) and Columbus (OH); there are a number of cities in the running for hosting the world juniors in 2004/5 (not next year's tourney, the year after) -- Columbus is interesting because there are rumblings that that year the NHL may face a "walk out" for much of/entire season. Joking around that such an occurance would help raise the demand for college hockey tickets (for example: the Gophers could raise their prices from $27 to $50 because the demand would be so great) Ryan Malone's dad is a scout for Pittsburgh and he was in town this weekend (I believe both Andy S. and Ryan are draft picks of Pitt)

Talk about best start - CB said that it should be taken into context - and talked about the ranking of the team - his concern is that the Sioux are in the top 4 at the end of the year. Regardless of the opponent there is something to be said for winning - last year the team lost 10 one goal games, this year they've been more successful in those contests. Playing so many tough/good teams last year took a lot of "fuel out of the tank". The tough part of the schedule is coming up after the break with CC 2 times/4 games in 3 weeks. Important to not look past Canisus as they are having a fine season this year.

Generally the team has been mentally prepared for each game - this past Saturday night St. Cloud jumped out with speed and intensity and took it to UND, their (StC) play dictated the flow in the beginning. After playing so many games at home it can be a problem that the boys feel a little too comfortable at home and that's when they can get a little soft. Anxious to get on the road so that the team can do some bonding. They'll be "road warriors" for the 2nd half.

Regarding Boston College at the REA - set for Oct 17 & 18, 2003 and Yale will be in for a weekend series on Oct 30/31, 2003 ---- New H. will be here the following year.

Good surprises have been the play and production of Mike Prpich and James Massen. This is a young team hungry to win.

Yes the PP production is very apparent and it is being worked on - so many little things contribute to a lack of results/% but improvement has been made - it's early in the season and it'll come around. The PK is getting stronger -- doesn't like when the best penalty killers are in the box (like Andy S and Zach P.) however when you can throw out Kevin S. and Jason N., then Ryan H. and Rory M., and then Brandon B. and (Zach P.) it can't get much better than that.

Regarding the official DS -- really he just called what was actually there, the only questionable one was Zach's on Jason M., the goalie as Jason was beyond the protected area and Zach's hit wasn't intentional. However, considering that Jake M. went out on an injury the official didn't want to take any chance of another injury.... Both CB and Tim were complimentary of DS and his crew for this weekend.

Talk about the penalties committed by the team. CB said that the only reason that he'll mention this kid's name is because he does everything soooo good that when he makes a mistake it is glaring: Andy S. penalty with 8 minutes to go in a 5-3 game was huge - St C. scored to make it 5-4 - that one penalty was ill advised and ill timed, however, this is a learning experience and it shouldn't happen again - at that point in the game you contain the other team and just get the puck out of the zone - you don't line anybody up or go for a big hit - preserve the win. Tim then mentioned that Brandon's tripping call (which was a penalty) took away Zach's goal and that was ill advised and ill timed as it had no direct benefit for the goal scored --- CB replied that, well, Brandon's going to score many goals so...... much laughter by Tim, CB and Swyg and comments on how there is a different standard for goal scorers and what they can do ...... :D;)

For myself, when I heard that the Huskies were going to be the "rival" I was dissappointed. I had hoped that UMD would be the rival as I love the trip to Duluth and wouldn't mind looking forward to it each year. I hadn't seen the Huskies play since their last trip to GF, so I didn't really care to seem them (especially after the 2 games last year and the 1 game this year); not to mention the whole politically correct stuff. After seeing them play this weekend however, "I" (and my opinion is sooooo important) am glad that they are our rivals --- if you take out the penalty filled sections of Saturday's game --- you have two teams who fly up and down the ice -- that pp goal on Saturday by St. C. -- wow --- tic tack toe!!! They are a fun team to watch -- and no after the whistle junk. I like how Jeff Finger plays -- he even has Mike C. hair.